• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: "The Cross of the Blue Moon"; Goemon DS and Oz release dates

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/06/news_6121810.html

TOKYO--On its official Web site today, Konami said the PlayStation 2 fantasy action game, OZ, has been dated for release on June 30 in Japan. The game will be priced at 6,980 yen ($64). OZ is a 3D action game that is being developed by the same teams behind Suikoden and Castlevania.

In addition, Konami also updated its DS launch library. Mystical Ninja, an action title which was among the first games announced for the DS has both a new name and solid release date.

The game’s official name is now Ganbare Goemon: Toukai Douchuu Ooedo Tenguri-kaeshi no Maki. It will be released on June 23 at a price of 4,980 yen ($46). Retail sources say that Ganbare Goemon for the DS will feature cameo appearances of characters from other titles (unspecified still), and that it will include classic Konami titles as mini-game bonuses. One of the included mini-games will be the 1990 puzzle shooter Quarth, which can be sent to other DS users via the handheld's Wi-Fi functionality.

Konami will also be publishing the Atlus surgery simulator Caduceus for the DS. That title should be in stores on June 30 as well. The game will be priced at 4,800 yen ($44).

In addition, retail sources say Konami has announced Akumajou Dracula: Sougetsu no Juujika for a future release on the DS. The name roughly translates to Castlevania: The Cross of the Blue Moon. While Konami has yet to release details on the game, Sougetsu no Juujika appears to be the recently announced Castlevania DS title.

The name Akumajou Dracula hasn't been used since 1997. That year, Konami released Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku, also known as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for the PlayStation.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is "oz" new? i don't remember hearing about it.

and konami used the "akumajou dracula" name for the first gba game. if there are any gamespotters lurking around.

temp

posting on contract only
Man, I'm torn. This and Curse of Darkness are still terrible names, but at least they don't contain musical terms.

Bebpo

Banned
Oz has the most gorgeous 2d art in some time. The non-famitsu mags (Dengeki and such) have been doing spreads on the game for the last month or so and while the game may suck (Suikoden III programming team...^^;), The art is :D~~ and it seems like there's lots of it.

Konami should've been smart and made an LE with artbook. Hopefully the cover is all 2d art and not some pre-rendered shit. The art really will move copies.

olimario

Banned
Bebpo said:
Oz has the most gorgeous 2d art in some time. The non-famitsu mags (Dengeki and such) have been doing spreads on the game for the last month or so and while the game may suck (Suikoden III programming team...^^;), The art is :D~~ and it seems like there's lots of it.

Konami should've been smart and made an LE with artbook. Hopefully the cover is all 2d art and not some pre-rendered shit. The art really will move copies.

Show me Oz art, please

Some Oz art:

konami_tyo_oz_800.jpg

konami_tyo_oz1_800.jpg

Official site:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/oz/

Bebpo

Banned
Oz will bomb for sure. From a sales perspective it has no claim to fame. I mean the best they could do would be "from the makers of Suikoden III". But since most Japanese gamers hate Suikoden III I don't think that'll help. It's just another 3d action title from Konami in most consumers minds, I expect sales similar to Nanobreaker.

Genji is a little different. It's a higher budget production set in a time period that the Japanese enjoy re-treading. Also because it's published by Sony it should get a lot of advertising on TV. A good score in magazines would help too. If the game ends up being really good I think it can surpass DMC3 sales.

What's that one Dynasty Warriors-ish Capcom game coming out in JPN soon? That's what I think of when I see that Oz stuff. That and Okami. Sort of.

Bebpo

Banned
Shinoobi said:
What's that one Dynasty Warriors-ish Capcom game coming out in JPN soon? That's what I think of when I see that Oz stuff. That and Okami. Sort of.

Sengoku Basara. Art is by the Shinobi guy and is indeed awesome stuff too :) Though I'm not sure what they're thinking putting a heavy-machine-gun in 1500s Japan.

Deku

Banned
Oz artwork is amazing. Very good.

BTW, looks like PSP games are on average more expensive than DS? Konami listed Oz @ $64 the DS games were $46 and $44

Bebpo

Banned
If the Oz game turns out shitty, then I think the character designer needs to leave Konami and find a job at a real rpg studio :)

B E N K E

I've played a bit of Oz actually (15 min or so). I would say it's an action-RPG that is very much focused on action and insane combos (building up to special attacks). Reminds me of PSO except with two AI-characters in the group and a hell of a lot of juggling, as you juggle enemies to create combos with the AI characters. The control scheme was very unorthodox and took some getting used to, but the benefits are that it won't be a mere button masher. There are plenty of enemies on screen and it tends to be very hectic. I'm cautiosly optimistic about this one.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Bebpo said:
Though I'm not sure what they're thinking putting a heavy-machine-gun in 1500s Japan.
When did Onimusha 2 take place? Magoichi had a couple of guns and that worked out okay :p

Bebpo

Banned
B E N K E said:
I've played a bit of Oz actually (15 min or so). I would say it's an action-RPG that is very much focused on action and insane combos (building up to special attacks). Reminds me of PSO except with two AI-characters in the group and a hell of a lot of juggling, as you juggle enemies to create combos with the AI characters. The control scheme was very unorthodox and took some getting used to, but the benefits are that it won't be a mere button masher. There are plenty of enemies on screen and it tends to be very hectic. I'm cautiosly optimistic about this one.

Sounds interesting. I'm kinda off doubtful just because a major part of the gameplay is your 2 AI allies and I always feel the more AI on your side, the more chance for things to go wrong ^^;

But yea it definitely seems like it won't be a button masher. I was reading the diary entries at the main site and the latest one has the guy saying if you mash...you die. He also said the game is pretty challenging which sounds good.

B E N K E, would you say the game is similar to Chaos Legion? From the trailer, that seemed to be the closest game I could think of since in CL you use you're legions to create big combos and take on lots of enemies.

Bebpo

Banned
Defensor said:
When did Onimusha 2 take place? Magoichi had a couple of guns and that worked out okay :p

Slight difference between a guy with a couple of old fashioned rifles and this:
screen14.jpg

:lol

Still Nobunaga looks badass as do all the other announced characters in Basara, so I'll remain slightly optimistic that it'll be like Dynasty Warriors but with better graphics, art, and a deeper combat engine akin to DMC.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Bebpo said:
Slight difference between a guy with a couple of old fashioned rifles and this:
screen14.jpg

:lol
:lol But, Magoichi had like a huge ass grenade/rocket launcher at the end of the game when you had him as your helper :D

ferricide

Bebpo said:
If the Oz game turns out shitty, then I think the character designer needs to leave Konami and find a job at a real rpg studio :)
the character designer is fumi ishikawa, who did the designs for suikoden II and III. and i love her with every scrap of my little heart.

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
the character designer is fumi ishikawa, who did the designs for suikoden II and III. and i love her with every scrap of my little heart.

Thanks for the name, I was too lazy to google it up :(. I knew she did Suikoden II/III but considering the current state of Suikoden and it being Konami's only real rpg series...that's why I want to her to move to a real rpg studio :p

jarrod

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
Goemon better come to the US, golldarnit.
Sadly it's one of the few titles not confirmed. And Konami's confirmed a lot already...

American Releases
-Boktai
-Castlevania: Cross of the Blue Moon
-Dragon Booster
-Frogger: Helmet Havoc
-Lost in Blue
-Yu-Gi-OH! Nightmare Troubador
-Vandal Hearts
-WiNX
-World Soccer Winning Eleven DS

Japan Only (so far)
-Ganbare Goemon! Toukai Douchuu Ooedo Tenguri-kaeshi no Maki (Mystical Ninja)
-Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu DS (Baseball)
-Tennis no Ouji-sama 2005: Crystal Drive (Prince of Tennis)

...not looking good. :(

Maybe Atlus USA will be allowed to bring it over? It's too bad WD isn't interested in DS stuff...

CrisKre

Goemon is really the one game I am just PRAYING the bring over to america. I love the series, but it is to heavy on text to import it.

PLEASEPREETYPLEASE Konami make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: As of today with Viewtiful Joe Scratch and the rest of the games revealed in the past few months I am an official NDS supporter. Totally impressed with the lineup!

mas9055

Banned
ohhhhhhh! You got me all excited for nothing. I thought for sure this was the first info about an Oz (the HBO show) video game. Don't really know how that would work out, but that show is flippin' awesome. Too bad they cancelled it....

Unison

In addition, Konami also updated its DS launch library. Mystical Ninja, an action title which was among the first games announced for the DS has both a new name and solid release date.

Hey guys, Launch is over.

Top Bottom