• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casual Madden PS4 league openings

abrack08

I did mean if you're up big that you can only go for it on 4th and inches in the 4th Qtr. What's the point of going for it on 4th and 5 when up big in the 4th Qtr unless you're trying to stat pad. Pretty much any team would punt in that situation anyways.

I posted the exact description I was talking about. I'm not a guy who goes for it on 4th down all the time, I promise.

I'm just saying, if I'm up 21-7, there's 5:30 left in the 4th, and it's 4th and 3 on the opponent's 43 yard line, I might go for it to try to put the game away. I think that's a decision that could go either way depending on how conservative the coach wants to be (just outside field goal range, might only gain ~20 yards with a punt, have an opportunity to put the game out of reach). This situation technically breaks one of the rules but I think is not indicative of someone running up the score or being a bad sport.

I'm not talking about going for 4th and 9 on your own 35 with a 24 point lead or anything like that.

If you want to crack down and keep it "No going for it on 4th and > inches with a 14 point lead no matter what", I'm not going to do anything to get myself in trouble. I just don't think that situation is unreasonable.

Bacon

I would prefer if we kept this as a gaf league and didn't invite anyone from other sites until necessary. It would make scheduling and stuff much easier. If we cant fill it up, then by all means, but we have at least a few days before we get desperate and ask for people from other sites to join

I agree with this. No need to jump the gun, i'm sure there are still GAF people that could join, working gaffers may be waiting for the weekend to pick the game up might want to join once they get it.

I posted the exact description I was talking about. I'm not a guy who goes for it on 4th down all the time, I promise.

I'm just saying, if I'm up 21-7, there's 5:30 left in the 4th, and it's 4th and 3 on the opponent's 43 yard line, I might go for it to try to put the game away. I think that's a decision that could go either way depending on how conservative the coach wants to be (just outside field goal range, might only gain ~20 yards with a punt, have an opportunity to put the game out of reach). This situation technically breaks one of the rules but I think is not indicative of someone running up the score or being a bad sport.

I'm not talking about going for 4th and 9 on your own 35 with a 24 point lead or anything like that.

If you want to crack down and keep it "No going for it on 4th and > inches with a 14 point lead no matter what", I'm not going to do anything to get myself in trouble. I just don't think that situation is unreasonable.

Fair enough. Like I said in the original post all rules are up for discussion. What do the rest of you guys think of this?

I agree with this. No need to jump the gun, i'm sure there are still GAF people that could join, working gaffers may be waiting for the weekend to pick the game up might want to join once they get it.

True. My intention from the get go was to only let Gafers in but if we can't fill the league we have no choice. I guess we can take a wait and see approach. With that in mind are you guys open to starting the league this weekend or would you rather wait till the roster update?

hlhbk

True. My intention from the get go was to only let Gafers in but if we can't fill the league we have no choice. I guess we can take a wait and see approach. With that in mind are you guys open to starting the league this weekend or would you rather wait till the roster update?

EDIT: Nevermind you can't post off site leagues or you will be banned. We will need to find GAFers.

I am flexible, we can start the league this weekend.

Bacon

Fair enough. Like I said in the original post all rules are up for discussion. What do the rest of you guys think of this?

I think that the scenario he described would be perfectly acceptable. I could easily see a Bill Belichick or a Sean Payton doing that exact thing in that situation. I think that it just needs to be left up to the discretion of the parties involved whether it was a play in bad sportsmanship or not, and its usually easy to tell.

Fixed1979

I don't see anything wrong with the scenario posted. Perhaps a steadfast rule might not be the best solution, if people abuse 4th down for stat padding or other reasons than they'll probably be called out on it pretty quick...Maybe just "Don't be a jerk on 4th down".

abrack08

I think that the scenario he described would be perfectly acceptable. I could easily see a Bill Belichick or a Sean Payton doing that exact thing in that situation. I think that it just needs to be left up to the discretion of the parties involved whether it was a play in bad sportsmanship or not, and its usually easy to tell.

I don't see anything wrong with the scenario posted. Perhaps a steadfast rule might not be the best solution, if people abuse 4th down for stat padding or other reasons than they'll probably be called out on it pretty quick...Maybe just "Don't be a jerk on 4th down".

I agree. You've already said we won't be doing any he-said-she-said stuff, so hopefully if someone is grieving you, you can get a video. Once we have evidence, it should be pretty clear if someone is being a jerk or not.

The only real downside would be that sometimes the PS4 share doesn't work as intended and you might not have the right 15 minutes recorded.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Ill be buying the game when I get back home. Should be home by tomorrow. Ill take the bengals if they are up for grabs.

Bacon

I just looked up what Groupme is and it looks like that would be a good way to communicate provided everyone has a smartphone.

Edit: actually never mind I jumped the gun - it works on computers too.

Fixed1979

I agree. You've already said we won't be doing any he-said-she-said stuff, so hopefully if someone is grieving you, you can get a video. Once we have evidence, it should be pretty clear if someone is being a jerk or not.

The only real downside would be that sometimes the PS4 share doesn't work as intended and you might not have the right 15 minutes recorded.

Video is damning, but if someone is doing it consistently people are going to come in here and complain at which point action could be taken.

There seems to be a problem with Online Franchise at the moment. Check it out guys.
http://www.operationsports.com/news...game-results-not-registering-for-many-update/

I expect that they'll be on this quickly.

I don't know what groupme is, but I'm fine with any communicating tool as long as it's free and easy to sign up for.

Agree.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Video is damning, but if someone is doing it consistently people are going to come in here and complain at which point action could be taken.

Pretty much right! I think now that we have sharing with video we can always expose a douch move!

I am excited to play this with y'all, been along time since I've done a madden league. Since my old IGN days!

Now to practice and find my audibles

abrack08

There seems to be a problem with Online Franchise at the moment. Check it out guys.
http://www.operationsports.com/news...game-results-not-registering-for-many-update/

Thus far, a quick investigation and questionnaire of the community seems to indicate the problem is widespread, with no one actually reporting their results have counted at this point. It is entirely possible some results are being counted, just they appear to be sporadic at this point.

This is crazy, what a huge oversight/bug to have at launch. Can't believe NO ONE at Operation Sports is reporting that it's working properly for them

In my honest opinion I think there shouldn't be any restrictions on fourth down.

I can live with no running up the score, but there are so many situations where fourth down comes into play that to limit it with rules and regulations, people will inevitably question what's legal or not.

Snickles

I have a buddy waiting for GAF mod approval of his account. He would really like to play as the Chargers. His PSN and GAF name will be Pschweitz.

I understand if you guys want to wait and see if current GAF account members want to join first.

alterno69

Banned
I don't have time to commit to this but i'd like to get some friends to play this, i'm a madden noob and i know shit about football. I mean i watch games and know the rules but when it comes to plays and reading the game i'm totally ignorant.

Add liquidsnk_mx if you are a Madden noob too please.

Jarate

Banned
Steelers:
Titans:
Texans:
Giants:
Falcons:
Rams:

These are the teams that are available, OP could you start messaging members asking for their PSN and such and making sure they are still interested

Ray665

Rules look good to me. Maybe 3 trades a year would be my only suggestion. Kicking on 4th down rule is a must for me I like to play sim and would like opponents to play that way also.

L-gon

Rules all look solid to me as well although I do agree that in certain situations going for it on 4th and less than 5 yards can be defensible, even up two scores. There are definitely teams in the NFL that go for the jugular up late. I think "don't be a douche on 4th down" is a good rule. If someone is clearly not playing sim-ball, it's easy to capture a video and out them.

PSN ID: LogBur

ShaneB

Good to go whenever it starts up. Got Madden and Maddenstation 4 today for a great price after trading in my old consoles. Excited to start playing. go Chiefs!

Fixed1979

Good to go whenever it starts up. Got Madden and Maddenstation 4 today for a great price after trading in my old consoles. Excited to start playing. go Chiefs!

'grats! Welcome to the club!

And I always wanted to tell you that I love the flag in your avatar!

LegoDad

Just FYI, I will be on vacation Starting September 5th - September 14th out of the county. Guess I will just have losses during that time period as everyone can beat the CPU.

PSN ID is calilbue15 if you guys want to add me.

Yuck ;) It's all good, the Raiders have stunk for a while, they deserve some success, but it just feels all sorts of wrong saying that as a Chiefs fan! ;)

What? The chiefs still stink. they haven't won a playoff game in over a decade...

Top Bottom