• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cat people are smarter than dog people, new study shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

People who don't own any pets are smarter than all.
You're correct... but your logic is automatically overridden if they have kids.

The scale from smart to dumb is as follows.

No Pets / No Kids
Cat Owners
Dog Owners
Parents
Parents who also own Dogs
Republican Parents who also own Dogs

Reverse that scale if you want to know whose lives are more fulfilling.

lisa-simpson-graph1.jpg

See? I made a graph. I make lots of graphs.

cajunator

Banned
This is why I prefer cats. I like dogs too but I'd much rather have a cat because they're more independent. I just leave my cats outside and they do whatever the fuck they want. Most dogs I've met are too playful. I just don't like it when dogs try to jump on me or lick me. The most my cats do is rub themselves all over me and my stuff. Oh and walk on my keyboard. That I admit is kind of annoying.

And yet when I drive up to the house I can see her run to the window and meow loudly and then follow me to the front door and then run around in happy circles greeting me and wanting to be petted.
Cats can grow attached to their owner quite a bit. When Im tired and go in my room and shut the door she will scratch the door and meow loudly if I dont let her in. Dogs definitely are more crazy attention seeking animals but cats have ways to show an owner they care about them too.

Also, it's a pretty easy study to dismiss. You just realize it's 60% of the sample vs 11% of the sample and there you go.

360 dog people, on average, are dumber than 66 cat people. No shit, one group is significantly larger.

I don't think you understand how averages work. Are you a dog enthusiast perchance?

Timeaisis

I don't think you understand how averages work. Are you a dog enthusiast perchance?

Sure I do. It's statistics that you are missing.

Consider this: IQ is 100 on average, by it's very definition. If we consider the intelligence of 360 dog people vs 66 cat people, the larger sample size will tend closer to the average intelligence because it is larger. A smaller sample of 66 will likely be more skewed to one side, i.e. further from the average (be it above or below). In this case we are talking about college students, which would rationally tend towards being above average.

Averages work the same way regardless, you are questioning my understanding of statistics.

You're correct... but your logic is automatically overridden if they have kids.

The scale from smart to dumb is as follows.

No Pets / No Kids
Cat Owners
Dog Owners
Parents
Parents who also own Dogs
Republican Parents who also own Dogs

Reverse that scale if you want to know whose lives are more fulfilling.

lisa-simpson-graph1.jpg

See? I made a graph. I make lots of graphs.

Republican parents with dogs have the most fulfilling lives?

GeekyDad

"People who said they were dog lovers in the study tended to be more lively — meaning they were more energetic and outgoing — and also tended to follow rules closely. Cat lovers, on the other hand, were more introverted, more open-minded and more sensitive than dog lovers. Cat people also tended to be non-conformists, preferring to be expedient rather than follow the rules."

Me: Naturally shy (though I have forced myself out of my shell as I've gotten older), I'm a home-body. I enjoy regular exercise, but I wouldn't call myself energetic and outgoing per se. I follow the rules very closely -- I tend to have to stop myself from being too rigid in that regard, but I'm not, by any means, a conformist. On grade-school achievement tests, I received "above average" or "superior" in all areas (except for the social sciences).

I prefer dogs. Not sure what that says about their "study."

"People who said they were dog lovers in the study tended to be more lively — meaning they were more energetic and outgoing — and also tended to follow rules closely. Cat lovers, on the other hand, were more introverted, more open-minded and more sensitive than dog lovers. Cat people also tended to be non-conformists, preferring to be expedient rather than follow the rules."

Me: Naturally shy (though I have forced myself out of my shell as I've gotten older), I'm a home-body. I enjoy regular exercise, but I wouldn't call myself energetic and outgoing per se. I follow the rules very closely -- I tend to have to stop myself from being too rigid in that regard, but I'm not, by any means, a conformist. On grade-school achievement tests, I received "above average" or "superior" in all areas (except for the social sciences).

I prefer dogs. Not sure what that says about their "study."

Everything that describes the cat person (apart from the rules part) fits me, except I love dogs.

cheezcake

Hahahaha, googled the Author.

The study is a non-peer reviewed survey of 600 college students with no information on how they evaluated personality traits/intelligence.

At least its not as bad as the time a group of researchers discovered that delivery of precise quantities of hydrogen sulfide to cancerous cells could help destroy them and TIME Health reported, "Researchers find smelling farts may prevent cancer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom