• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cat people are smarter than dog people, new study shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuan

I feel like the cat people should all be docked points for owning a pet that poops in a box requiring owner cleaning and whose feces may give them a brain parasite.

I don't actually have anything against cats or cat people I just find poop brain parasites hilarious.

I think that turned out to be a myth.

http://www.gifsplosion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cat-punching-dog.gif
"His precision is so precise!"

iammeiam

As opposed to "owning" a pet that shits and/or pees everywhere and you have to clean up? Or shits on the grass and you still have to pick up with a bag/scoop?

No objection to the litter box as an overall concept without the brain parasite, but as an indoor brain parasite incubation chamber I see a problem

iammeiam

I think that turned out to be a myth.

As far as I can Google, the study linking litter boxes to suicides was shoddy at best, but that cats can carry a brain parasite that can cross over to humans
if you ingest the feces which, who knows with cat people?
and pose health issues for pregnant women is true.

cajunator

Banned
Cats are wonderful and adorable. They are a more passive pet and thats the kind I like. Im bouncy enough myself. I dont need a pet that is an attention whore, so cats work perfectly.

Timeaisis

Also, it's a pretty easy study to dismiss. You just realize it's 60% of the sample vs 11% of the sample and there you go.

360 dog people, on average, are dumber than 66 cat people. No shit, one group is significantly larger.

Parch

To be fair though, most of the potty/pooping training for a cat involves simply placing the cat in the box.
If that. They naturally seek that type of surface to do their thing. Training a cat to use a litter box can barely be considered training.

Yup, Im totally fine with being a dumb dog owner I guess.

Question though, is this study supose to throw such a harsh divide between cat and dog owners? Or validate cat owners in some way? (dam you relative thinking)

One more intelligent that the other seems kind of odd conclusion for an educated study.

360 dog people, on average, are dumber than 66 cat people. No shit, one group is significantly larger.

Awesome point

Dog: will always love you, always be there when you are down, always be eternally cute and happy

large.jpg

Cat: will always hate you, will always walk past you just to wave it's asshole right in your face

^^ Literally the view that every cat owner wakes up to - and get this folks - THEY PREFER THIS

hodgy100

I feel like the cat people should all be docked points for owning a pet that poops in a box requiring owner cleaning and whose feces may give them a brain parasite.

I don't actually have anything against cats or cat people I just find poop brain parasites hilarious.
Wut our previous two cats shat in neighbours gardens and buried their mess. Our current cat uses a litter tray only because he can't go outside due to being deaf :(

Parch

I got a puppy and a kitten at the same time. As expected the cat was pretty much maintenance free, while I thought the dog was an idiot. I had to act like a baby-talking moron and spend a ridiculous amount of time to teach this dog anything. I almost instantly became a cat person just so that I didn't have to act like an idiot around the dog.

Yes my hatred for cats all comes from experience

A cat shat in your sleeping mouth when you were young. It's OK, we understand. Not all cats are evil squatting, sleeping mouth shiters. Just the really obnoxious ones. I did wake up once to my cat sat on my chest with its bum firmly perched just south of my face. The little git was probably peeved that I forgot to buy chicken treats earlier that day.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
this is the kind of thing that needs to be studied?

i assumed this was just indisputable fact.

This study illustrates more about how pop psychology and psychology is headed in the wrong direction.

1. Useless
2. Seems like more of a Cosmo or Buzzfeed quiz
3. Small sample size from a narrow demographic
4. Does nothing to help people with real mental issues
5. Wastes academic resources
6. Will waste more resources with the inevitable study that proves this is B.S.

If anybody has ever taken a Phyc 101 class and been participants in these "studies", you would know how they use total BS to come to these conclusions.

Even people who have psychology/psychiatry degrees will tell you how much of their profession is BS and how few tools they have to help people. Most of it these days seems to be "hey take this drug".

hihihihi these dog owner fumes

Nameless

I'd like to see this study broken down by dog breed.. People often make sweeping statements about dogs, as does this article, ignoring the massive differences between breeds. They might as well be different animals in a lot if cases.

I got a puppy and a kitten at the same time. As expected the cat was pretty much maintenance free, while I thought the dog was an idiot. I had to act like a baby-talking moron and spend a ridiculous amount of time to teach this dog anything. I almost instantly became a cat person just so that I didn't have to act like an idiot around the dog.

But being an idiot with a dog is the funnest part though. I can't even begin to tell all the stories were I find myself talking in a high pitch voice making up dumb words. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom