• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catholic Church's Peter's Pence charity only gives 10% towards the poor, the rest all goes to paying for the Vatican's administrative budget deficit

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.wsj.com/articles/vatica...e-poor-to-plug-its-budget-deficit-11576075764

VATICAN CITY—Every year, Catholics around the world donate tens of millions of dollars to the pope. Bishops exhort the faithful to support the weak and suffering through the pope’s main charitable appeal, called Peter’s Pence.

What the church doesn’t advertise is that most of that collection, worth more than €50 million ($55 million) annually, goes toward plugging the hole in the Vatican’s own administrative budget, while as little as 10% is spent on charitable works, according to people familiar with the funds.

The little-publicized breakdown of how the Holy See spends Peter’s Pence, known only among senior Vatican officials, is raising concern among some Catholic Church leaders that the faithful are being misled about the use of their donations, which could further hurt the credibility of the Vatican’s financial management under Pope Francis.

Being this close to God isn't cheap.
vatican.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s probably more than most media people and celebrities. I looked up Ellen Degenress and she makes $77 million a year on her tv show alone. Maybe gives away a couple million a year. I’m betting it’s less than $7.7 million.

How much does Marvel give? They made $6 billion worldwide in 2019 yet only donated around $5 million. That is like a thousandth of their profit. LOl

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Companies do this for breast cancer awareness month while they sell pink shit and keep all the dough as well.
Yup, that's why they call it raising money for breast cancer "awareness", and not breast cancer research. It's a shame.

All these administrative costs sure are raising awarenes lololol!

:pie_eyeroll:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

What the church doesn’t advertise is that most of that collection, worth more than €50 million ($55 million) annually, goes toward plugging the hole in the Vatican’s own administrative budget, while as little as 10% is spent on charitable works, according to people familiar with the funds.

The little-publicized breakdown of how the Holy See spends Peter’s Pence, known only among senior Vatican officials, is raising concern among some Catholic Church leaders that the faithful are being misled about the use of their donations, which could further hurt the credibility of the Vatican’s financial management under Pope Francis.

7 If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. 8 Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need.

33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I'm still looking for the Biblical passage that teaches us to cover your entire city in gold and cover up child molestation . . .

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, that's why they call it raising money for breast cancer "awareness", and not breast cancer research. It's a shame.

All these administrative costs sure are raising awarenes lololol!

:pie_eyeroll:
Donating money to end cancer is a lie then?

GreyHorace

Not surprised to be honest. You don't get to be a big organization like the Catholic Church on chump change.

I will say this though, I don't buy into the narrative that they're this great big evil organization. Yes they've done a lot bad things throughout history (burning heretics, forceful conversion of native cultures, the pedophile priest scandal) but a lot of good as well (patronage of the sciences and the arts, spreading literacy, preservation of ancient texts). They're not perfect, but what human organization is?

Cleared_Hot

You mean a religion based on amade up fantasy is stealing from people? Why is this surprising? Evangelical churches get caught daily. Catholic priests have been raping children for as long as they've been around. The whole thing is shit

undrtakr900

Companies do this for breast cancer awareness month while they sell pink shit and keep all the dough as well.
Exactly, or they donate an insignificant sales percentage (ie. under 5%) to actual breast cancer charity and keep the rest for themselves.

Last edited:

Airola

It’s probably more than most media people and celebrities. I looked up Ellen Degenress and she makes $77 million a year on her tv show alone. Maybe gives away a couple million a year. I’m betting it’s less than $7.7 million.

How much does Marvel give? They made $6 billion worldwide in 2019 yet only donated around $5 million. That is like a thousandth of their profit. LOl

It's not about giving to charity from your profit though. It's about having a charity where people donate money for some certain good cause and then keeping most of that money to yourself.

With these celebrities it's "wow, I got 70 million from my work, maybe I'll give up a million to a charity."
With Catholic church it's like "hey, would you donate a dollar for poor people, oh thanks, I'll give 10 cents to the poor and give 90 cents to my me and my pals."

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What's that? An international club who appoints it's leader the king of a city and puts him up in a gold plated palace is MISUSING FUNDS?

I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I say!

Ellen Degeneres and Marvel aren't charities you coconut.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Haven’t people realised that the Catholic Church is a cult by now?

If you want to do something charitable - See the person next to you? Give them a hug and tell them you love them.

Stop giving your money to greedy untrustworthy fucks.

Power corrupts. Money is a symbol of power.

Side note. In my view no organization - faith-based or otherwise - that is given money for free or for products or services rendered should be exempt from paying taxes.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Non-profits are exempt from taxes, why should religious non-profits be any different?

Keep in mind that the donations that fund them are largely paid out of income that's already been taxed. Taxing churches would amount to taxing the same money twice.

It’s more the idea that something is considered non-profit when it still nets the proprietors vast wealth. And any sales tax paid for a good or service is technically a second tax too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's an inditement on Christianity. Imagine what good could be done if we used this money like Christians used to use it in the recent past (universities, hospitals, homes for orphans, etc).

iconmaster

Banned
It’s more the idea that something is considered non-profit when it still nets the proprietors vast wealth.

Sure, that shouldn't happen. There are churches that abuse their non-profit status.

I think the proper corrective is not more taxes but to simply require churches file tax returns once donations exceed a certain amount. They could still lie, but then there's grounds for taking action.

I'm on the board of a church myself, and was amazed to find out we aren't required to file.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Non-profits are exempt from taxes, why should religious non-profits be any different?

Keep in mind that the donations that fund them are largely paid out of income that's already been taxed. Taxing churches would amount to taxing the same money twice.
When I buy shoes, the money I'm paying has already been taxed. Paying sales tax is taxing the same money twice. I shouldn't pay taxes on shoes, right? Oh wait, that's not how taxes work.

The Catholic Church isn't a non profit. Dressing Pope Georgie in fine silks, feeding him five start meals every day, and housing him in a solid gold castle don't sound like he isn't making a profit off of being Pope. Then you have the extravagant buildings the Church has all over the world. And all the Cardinals also living like very well off (if not rich) men.

Then you have places like the death house Mother Theresa used to run, where she took in people who needed very basic medical care, told them they were fucked, and let them die instead of just taking them to a doctor. Or telling them "you could live, don't come here, go to a free clinic." Or, the Church could have just spent some of it's massive wealth and run a free clinic instead.

iconmaster

Banned
When I buy shoes, the money I'm paying has already been taxed. Paying sales tax is taxing the same money twice. I shouldn't pay taxes on shoes, right? Oh wait, that's not how taxes work.

I might argue that’s not right either. We should have income tax or sales tax, but not both.

Either way, the sales tax analogy strikes me as very strange.

I suspect most people who talk about taxing churches aren’t looking for away to correct abuses, but a way to strike a blow against churches. Go ahead and try to get that passed, though. The political conflagration would be something to see.

Last edited:
If you’ve ever known a devout catholic you know they are totally ok with this.

I'm not okay with it... provided it's actually happening and the Wall Street Journal (lol) is actually privy to the situation their sources claim to be "familiar" with.

I'm not familiar with this particular donation, who collects it, or what exactly they are telling people the funds will be used for.

If it's all true as the WSJ says, then you could argue it amounts to theft.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Charity's have been a scam mostly anyway lets be honest here. All rich people have there own charity to run there money through. Same with politicians etc.

The Catholic Church isn't a non profit. Dressing Pope Georgie in fine silks, feeding him five start meals every day, and housing him in a solid gold castle don't sound like he isn't making a profit off of being Pope. Then you have the extravagant buildings the Church has all over the world. And all the Cardinals also living like very well off (if not rich) men.

Then you have places like the death house Mother Theresa used to run, where she took in people who needed very basic medical care, told them they were fucked, and let them die instead of just taking them to a doctor. Or telling them "you could live, don't come here, go to a free clinic." Or, the Church could have just spent some of it's massive wealth and run a free clinic instead.

And then u have places that people work there ass off to help people and give them all there time and effort and even cash to help the needy out. and then u got churches by fast the majority if not almost all churches outside of the vatican that are run on community money in those area's, like all the churches and even mosques here.

Of Course people with a hate boner don't see it.

The problem is with the vatican in italy and mega churches in america its a bastardization of the religion and where it stands for.

Well Catholics were never Christians in the first place at any point, but this is not surprising.

I mean the whole vatican/branches are falling apart with all these convictions with drugs and kids. Nothing is really being done about it so it's getting worse. The pope is completely inconsistent so that doesn't help things.

Top Bottom