• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

ghostmind

I really hope the GameSpot execs are not vindictive, because what better revenge than to buyout your competitor (who used to work for you) and then bring them back only to run them into the ground.

"This is not about us getting folded in and eradicated..." - famous last words

S1kkZ

its not a sell-out. giantbomb needs money to do all that crazy shit and i think the subscribers didnt generate enough money to keep them alive.

Every week I listened to the Screened, Giantbomb, Tested and Comicvine podcast. And it was always awesome how some of the team would always guest on each others show...but now that's over. Holy shit this is horrible news.

EXGN

... what? This is just... what... on so many levels.

GameSpot buying a site that was started by a lead editor who they fired. Irony at its finest.

Then we have the tragedy of Tested being split from GB :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
watching the stream... how the fuck does any of this make any sense? Gertsman gets shafted by Gamespot/CBS for having integrity. leaves Gamespot/CBS to found new sit. does well with new site. sells out to CBS.

Gertsman has lost his journalistic integrity?

GB didn't sell out anything, Whiskey did.

2th

Banned
its not a sell-out. giantbomb needs money to do all that crazy shit and i think the subscribers didnt generate enough money to keep them alive.

yeah cause letting a large company the size of CBS buy you isnt a sell out? They could have easily found someone else that has money and integrity. Fuck they could have used Kickstarter.

GB didn't sell out anything, Whiskey did.

Isnt Gertsman one of the owners of Whiskey though? Or am i mistaken in that belief?

Dany

Banned
they're being acquired by the company that fucking fired Jeff because of a poor review score, lol.

That is literally the reason Giantbomb was created.

Now they see him as a valuable asset now, I doubt they are going to make the same mistake.

Ohwiseone

I really really really hope this won't screw over Jeff..

Although apparently, they are moving into the OLD gamespot offices.. although this was on twitter and I don't know if this was true.

Not alot makes me turn off my March MAdness games..this is it.

Although HOLY SHIT at the tested annoucment, that is so cool for them.

Deadstar

Wow...Giant Bomb was a great site....but the crew is what makes them great so if they go to start another site I'll be there day 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I still have my worries about this. Saw the title and read the thread and still went "what."

EXGN said:
... what? This is just... what... on so many levels.

GameSpot buying a site that was started by a lead editor who they fired. Irony at its finest.

Then we have the tragedy of Tested being split from GB :(
:(

Patryn

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

FUCK.

FUCK SHIT FUCK SHIT FUCK.

RIP Giantbomb. I give it a year before everything that's good about GB is stripped out.

S1kkZ

yeah cause letting a large company the size of CBS buy you isnt a sell out? They could have easily found someone else that has money and integrity. Fuck they could have used Kickstarter.

they said in the stream that they talked to a lot of people and the current deal was the only thing that worked. i am not a fan of this buyout but if it helps them to continue and people keep their jobs, i can live with it.

I wonder how long they think CBS will let them do their own thing before the inevitable consolidation of both of their games press sites under the Gamespot umbrella.

Upside: No more Alex Navarro?

if they needed money, why not throw up a kick starter, pitch-in, discounts on whiskey subscriptions....anything then selling to a corporate overlord?

Lombax

Banned
I am super happy for the giantbomb guys, and at the same time I am super bummed out. Pour one out for whiskey media, Will and Norm.

Top Bottom