• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"CD Projekt has said it can’t guarantee that Cyberpunk 2077’s new-gen console versions will make it out this year as planned..."

I tried to like Witcher 2 and 3 but just couldn't get into it. But just watching the gameplay of CP, I knew I wouldn't like it either. It doesn't even have the same atmosphere of other classic cyberpunk genre games but rather looks more sci fi to me. I'm more of a RDR 2 guy and still play it regularly.

Flabagast

If they fix all the bugs, isn’t it a pretty good game already? There was disappointment it didn’t live up to the hype - or its own previews - and I can imagine a lot of content and systems being layered back in, but… I came to AC Unity a year or two late, once it had been patched, and it was way better than the anti-hype.
It’s an excellent game with wonderful story and characters.
A lot of people shitting on it have not played it or only for a few hours, or they were expecting a straight up GTA rip-off (which it is absolutely not)

Don’t be fooled.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
GTA 3 has more advanced open world gameplay than Cyberpunk and it's 20 years old.

There's no excuse for this whatsoever.

Except it just didn't. GTA3's world was like 4 blocks and had fuck all to do.

Yes, GTA has a GTA-style police/wanted system and Cyberpunk doesn't. But is that really the extent of this comparison? They're not even the same kind of game.

Last edited:
It’s an excellent game with wonderful story and characters.
A lot of people shitting on it have not played it or only for a few hours, or they were expecting a straight up GTA rip-off (which it is absolutely not)

Don’t be fooled.
Promised but missing feature list (will update with comments)
Every Unfulfilled Promise of Cyberpunk 2077

Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay Reveal — 48-minute walkthrough
12:56:
"We've greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open world game to date"
'All living their lives within full day/night cycle"

Everyone who has been following the developments of this game prior to launch was fed the above bolded BS from the many youtube walkthroughs and trailers. Hard for anyone to expect anything less than a GTA beater when you parade stuff like "create the most believable city in any open world game to date"

Educate yourself before posting or else you look like a fool.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I hate people.

InsistentColorfulBoar-size_restricted.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
Why include an open world, carjacking, police, and the like if you can't see it fully realised?

Hence my comparison to No More Hero's.
I see you didn't read the article. Why bother replying at all?

Anyway, Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world FPS RPG. It is not GTA. The developers never said they were making GTA. In fact, the article I linked that you didn't bother reading shows they said quite the opposite. CDPR realised the elements of their gameworld to the degree that fit the game they were aiming to make. Like or dislike the game, no problem - but trying to present CP2077 as if it was supposed to be GTA and that it is not or lacks GTA-style features is evidence of some kind of colossal failing is deliberately misrepresenting the game and the developers.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Anyway, Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world FPS RPG. It is not GTA. The developers never said they were making GTA. In fact, the article I linked that you didn't bother reading shows they said quite the opposite. CDPR realised the elements of their gameworld to the degree that fit the game they were aiming to make. Like or dislike the game, no problem - but trying to present CP2077 as if it was supposed to be GTA and that it is not or lacks GTA-style features is evidence of some kind of colossal failing is deliberately misrepresenting the game and the developers.
They themselves stated it would be a living breathing world. Just because it wasn't trying to be a GTA style game doesn't excuse how barren the world is, the lack of AI, the terrible AI that is present, and the overall terrible choices in world design. They even show off these special events of the med team and elite police forces during scripted missions and they're basically never seen again. The game would have been better off in the style of Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Mankind Divided when it comes to the world.

Last edited:

- CDPR have already deliberately hid the performance of the game on console prior to release,
- Promised features like police bribing system, apartment customization and dropped this gem:
"We've greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city in any open world game to date"

And you're going to believe them when they say they this:

Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…

After they've already misled and lied to gamers prior to releasing this game? They put out a roadmap for fixing the bugs and releasing the much anticipated next gen update this year and they can't even make that deadline. You still believe what these people say??

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me

Marty-McFly

Banned

It doesn't lack GTA style features. You can shoot up cops and steal cars in an open world. All of it is just half baked.

I mean, did you you read this. We were lied to.

Promised but missing feature list (will update with comments)
Every Unfulfilled Promise of Cyberpunk 2077

'All living their lives within full day/night cycle"

Everyone who has been following the developments of this game prior to launch was fed the above bolded BS from the many youtube walkthroughs and trailers. Hard for anyone to expect anything less than a GTA beater when you parade stuff like "create the most believable city in any open world game to date"

Educate yourself before posting or else you look like a fool.

They literally said this game will be 'the most believable open world city in any game to date' and that includes GTA which is open world if you didn't know already.
They were also talking about handcrafted day/night cycles for the NPC's. Again this is beyond what GTA has at the moment so of course comparisons will be drawn to GTA if you're going to shout about these gameplay systems from the rooftops as they have done in their reveals. You don't have to mention GTA directly so gamers will draw comparisons with that game if you're touting systems that no other open world title has done before.
Everyone (myself included) got sucked into believing there will be GTA levels(or better) of immersion in this game world. If you want to lay blame for this then you should lay blame with the developer for hyping this game as a NEXT GEN open world.

Last edited:
GTA 3 has more advanced open world gameplay than Cyberpunk and it's 20 years old.

An 2020 open world FPS RPG has less of an open world than a game from 20 years ago.

Fucking let that sink in. Even thinking about it now just blows my mind. They had a more believable open world in Witcher 3 than they have in Cyberpunk. They could have at least hit that target.

Management at CDPR needs a radical shake-up because there are fucking chimps sitting in those offices pulling the strings.

Guilty_AI

you do realize these meme comparisons are extremely disingenous right?

Like this one

Or this one

They just handpick specific things the other game does better while leaving out far more important things that are clearly worse.
New GTAs or even RDR2's gunplay for example are absolutely atrocious, or their general quest design.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
They literally said this game will be 'the most believable open world city in any game to date' and that includes GTA which is open world if you didn't know already.
They were also talking about handcrafted day/night cycles for the NPC's. Again this is beyond what GTA has at the moment so of course comparisons will be drawn to GTA if you're going to shout about these gameplay systems from the rooftops as they have done in their reveals. You don't have to mention GTA directly so gamers will draw comparisons with that game if you're touting systems that no other open world title has done before.
Everyone (myself included) got sucked into believing there will be GTA levels(or better) of immersion in this game world. If you want to lay blame for this then you should lay blame with the developer for hyping this game as a NEXT GEN open world.
Sorry friend, but I have to disagree with this. The city of Night City is the most believable open world city ever created. The city itself is a feat of artistic realisation that eclipses pretty much everything else. I'd go as far as to say that I've never seen any open world - let alone a city - that feels as unique, lived in, or tangible as Cyberpunk 2077's Night City. It's submersive. You're conflating believability of the setting to gameplay and simulation systems. Their crowd stuff does what it needs to do - presents a massive, sprawling open world city. The sheer density of it is far more realised than anything from GTAV and just shy of some of the crowd work in Assassins Creed Unity, which is how I take their comments. And again, you're drawing comparisons to GTA's feature set when the developer specifically said that's not what they were trying to build.

- CDPR have already deliberately hid the performance of the game on console prior to release,
- Promised features like police bribing system, apartment customization and dropped this gem:

And you're going to believe them when they say they this:

Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…

After they've already misled and lied to gamers prior to releasing this game? They put out a roadmap for fixing the bugs and releasing the much anticipated next gen update this year and they can't even make that deadline. You still believe what these people say??

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me
The article I posted with that quote was written close to two years before the game launched. Check it out, the link is literally right there. Did everything they wanted make it into the final game? No, they clearly had to cut a lot of stuff to get the game out... but you're complaining about deadlines not being met while complaining about the game not having everything you wanted it to have? What? Either the content matters over the deadlines, or, the deadlines matter over the content. You can't have it both ways.

As for the "fool me once part", I have to ask: what more did you want than a full no-questions-asked refund for every version of the game on every platform for an extended period of time? Because that's what we got. Anyone who took up the refund has nothing to complain about because they lost nothing. Anyone who didn't take up the refund has nothing to complain about because they accepted the game exactly as it was. Did you get a refund? Then what are you complaining about. Didn't want a refund? Then what are you complaining about? What more are you asking for?

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I feel like there is probably a reason why Witcher 3 worked well, and Cyberpunk did not. I suspect that it is the cycle of changing developers/managers within a company. I doubt any company is the same as it was 5-10 years prior. This is the eventual tragedy of any company you learn to love for past games. It really is only a matter of time before they weaken or disappoint you. But the old phoenix needs to die so the new one can be born. Sadly in these days of endless recycling, reboots, sequels, and remasters, and companies on life support, this is not usually the case.

Last edited:

yamaci17

This is surprising. Didn' the PC version run pretty well? Not sure why they're having so much problems with the next gen ports which should be pretty similar to PC.

couple of reasons

1) the "current gen" versions for xbox sx/ps5 are practically... similar to PC without ray tracing. that's about it. u get 60 fps, some resolution tweaks and thats it. ps5 has some wonky NPC setting that spawns less NPCs. xbox as of now does not have this issue

2) they're probably trying ways to somehow implement ray tracing without destroying performance/resolution. the current performance level of the game is around 1200-1300p 60 fps for series x/ps5. maybe they are trying to push more gpu optimizations so that some overhead can be made for RT mode

people will expect 4k 60 fps + 1440p 60 fps rt out of them. but these are unrealistic expectations. most likely that they're aware that they won't be able to deliver what people would expect out of nextgen consoles. therefore they're delaying the stuff to mix it up with expansions so that the update may seem "rich with content and nextgen adjusted stuff". in reality, it will be some tweaks to npc counts, some settings a bit increased, and that's about it

Marty-McFly

Banned

Like this one

Or this one

They just handpick specific things the other game does better while leaving out far more important things that are clearly worse.
New GTAs or even RDR2's gunplay for example are absolutely atrocious, or their general quest design.

Tell me what is more complex about the AI behaviour of NPC's in Cyberpunk than GTA 3 20 years ago?

Because from where I'm sitting, everything outside of the mission's and characters associated with them is more shallow.

Last edited:

Banned

Like this one

Or this one

new GTAs are in general just way worse. and not a single game Rockstar released after San Andreas had good or even decent controls. it's actually crazy how far they have fallen IMO
no need for a meme compilation of differences, the games just suck. GTA 4 was still a good game imo even tho it had control issues, but it was downhill from there

Last edited:

EDMIX

Irrelevant.

GTA didn't invent crime, cops driving cars, swat teams etc They put that shit in their world my friend, they are to blame on why they are not behaving as such in a fucking open world video game.

GTA has guns too, is CP not to have guns cause its not GTA?

GTA you can drive cars, is that too not allowed in CP?

The shit that is being debated regarding this is silly as fuck, sir....those elements in exist in GTA, cause that shit EXIST IN REAL LIFE, GTA is merely making those NPC behave the way society does. So having a game where you steal a car and a cop comes after you is not based on the concept of GTA existing, its based on what the fuck would happen in real life, you can't just argue that the world missing so much obvious shit is because um "its not GTA" Why show us a swat team that can't interact with you, cops that can't drive cars and then keep telling us about this role playing in this city that is full of life, if that clearly isn't what it is? This isn't about being GTA, this is about being a fucking game that released in 2020 telling you its the next generation of open world games, telling how how interactive the city is and then fighting you tooth and nail to remind you, it wasn't made to be interacted with as its not "GTA", sir...its simply not a modern game by the standards that we know open world games to be in such cities.

Watchdogs 3 isn't GTA, clearly has cops chasing you in cars, NPCs that understand you exist and react to your existence lol Stop with this shit that it NEEDS to be GTA to have fucking AI that fits a city man, its lame excuse that sounds worse and worse as more time goes on and they can't even manage a fucking update for next gen. So I have a hard time believing those missing featuares are because its not GTA, its missing for the same fucking reason this game launched broken, still doesn't have a next gen version etc.

Whats next? It doesn't have a next gen version cause its not GTA? Only GTA can have a next gen version? =)

Anyway, Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world FPS RPG. It is not GTA. T

lol none of that shit matters, its a open world FPS RPG IN A FUCKING CITY WITH Cops, Crimes, Cars, Gangs, Guns (thinks of something that starts with the letter G) lol It doesn't need to be GTA to have cops drive cars, to have GANGS drive cars and for them to interact with you, shit I'd argue it even claiming to be a RPG should argue they should play their roles and actually fucking drive after you and behave like cops or gangs behave like gangs and do drive bys or chase you in cars etc

Sir, when they decided to make a game in city about crime, cops, gangs and you happen to drive a car, they opened the door to all that shit. The NPC interactions expected is not based on "GTA" its based on fucking real life, if you shot someone and jump in a car, one would expect cops to follow, GTA didn't invent that and the fucking excuse that its "not GTA" to ignore all the missing obvious features gets funnier and funnier as time goes on. All this proves is that Ubisoft indeed would have made the better game and the more they keep saying "its not GTA" as an excuse to lack so many features, Ubisoft will be there with Far Cry 77 and or Watchdogs 4 2144 lol to scoop up what they can't do.

Night City is the most believable open world city ever created.

The one where the cops can't drive cars, neither can the gangs and the NPC basically behave like they are dumb, deaf and blind all at once? They won't even run when you shoot, they just disappear cause the team can't really program lol

Imagine thinking that killing 4 people and jumping in a car, yet the entire police department can't do anything cause no one can drive and be like "the most believable open world" =) For how?

Warablo

I will say the fact you only ever see like Medivac once in the entire game is a shame. That kind of stuff should be happening in the open world randomly.

Guilty_AI

Because from where I'm sitting, everything outside of the mission's and characters associated with them is more shallow.
So, everything that isn't the main focus of the game?
Its not like their previous title that got praised to oblivion had much better world outside of missions. NPCs were always at the same spots doing the same things, saying the same stuff, and you couldn't even interact with them.

"Its raining, its pouring, emperor emhyr is-"

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY KID

new GTAs are in general just way worse. and not a single game Rockstar released after San Andreas had good or even decent controls. it's actually crazy how far they have fallen IMO
no need for a meme compilation of differences, the games just suck. GTA 4 was still a good game imo even tho it had control issues, but it was downhill from there
I blame gears and its cover system

Marty-McFly

Banned
So, everything that isn't the main focus of the game?
Its not like their previous title that got praised to oblivion had much better world outside of missions. NPCs were always at the same spots doing the same things, saying the same stuff, and you couldn't even interact with them.

"Its raining, its pouring, emperor emhyr is-"

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY KID

I blame gears and its cover system

How about you take your own advice?

"The main focus of the game".

If you don't know how to make an open world properly DON'T make one at all. If story based missions are your bread and better stick to a linear game. You think some random blurb by a developer that nobody read somehow changes this?

The developers themselves promised us a living, breathing open world with NPC's that lived on daily schedules. We were lied to. The pre-release footage was incredibly misleading as were most of the reviews.

People are justifiably pissed off. I know I am. I actually wasted my money on this and was completely mislead by the media and CDPR themselves.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

How about you take your own advice?

"The main focus of the game".

If you don't know how to make an open world properly DON'T make one at all. If story based missions are your bread and better stick to a linear game.
I think rockstar should be the one to take this advice, not me. Their open worlds are basically a compilation of easter eggs and dumb jokes and are completely disconnected from their highly linear main story-line. They should've sticked to small hubs in RDR2. At least in CP 2077 the side activities you do around the city have actual gameplay and story implications.
"but but the citizens npcs disappear when you turn around!!" I don't give a fuck, thats still far more preferable than a character that controls as if he's carrying two bags of sand strapped to his sides.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Almost seems like the witcher series was a fluke and this company are total nubs lol!

They probably need a witcher 4 now to save their rep

EekTheKat

I wonder who at CDPR thought it would be a good idea to make additional promises in the form of a roadmap in their apology video for breaking promises to their fanbase/customers?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Almost seems like the witcher series was a fluke and this company are total nubs lol!

They probably need a witcher 4 now to save their rep
It seems so. 2077 got hyped up due to two main things:

1. Witcher 3
2. Blade Runner setting (which gamers and movie fans seem to love)

The game had such little previews to go off from 2012 to launch (the key one being that 40 minute video I think in 2019 or 2020), people got hyped up beyond belief assuming it would be gods gift to gaming.

Shmunter

It seems so. 2077 got hyped up due to two main things:

1. Witcher 3
2. Blade Runner setting (which gamers and movie fans seem to love)

The game had such little previews to go off from 2012 to launch (the key one being that 40 minute video I think in 2019 or 2020), people got hyped up beyond belief assuming it would be gods gift to gaming.

3. Chicks with dicks

yansolo

im also in the boat of ill just play it when its done, and if it isnt, then oh well, there will always be something else to play

ill never understand people that take it so personally, its bonkers. i understand they fucked up, but damn man some people need to chill, its just games.

Nautilus

Banned
We need to stop pretending it's just performance bugs. CDPR promised us a living, breathing open world. What we got in those terms was closer to No More Hero's than GTAV.
Eh, Im happy with the final product.Never wanted a GTA clone(for the open world structure anyway).

usp84

Cyberpunk was never going to be like GTA V is NOT an excuse for all the AI and open world problems the game has.The city has absolutely incredible atmosphere but once tou try to interact in any way it just falls apart.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Cyberpunk sympathisers are the biggest cucks in gaming right now.

I cant stand reading this thread with how much "Nah man, it actually works. It just works! You just dont get it bro."

Yeah okay guys.

OK. I guess when I played it through on my RTX3090/5900x with a few glitches on the order of what I saw in Skyrim, FO4 or an AC game and had 40 hours of fun with it I was being some piece of shit bitch or something, because that makes so much fucking sense.

Woggleman

Rockstar games are great but they are not the end all and be all of open world. Also a few years ago RDR2 was getting raked over the coals for being too realistic and now Cyberpunk is not realistic enough and RDR2 is the standard they failed to live up to. It's like trying to please a nagging wife we finds fault with everything.

Top Bottom