• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR dev warns players new Cyberpunk 2077 patch (and expansion) might make your PC overheat, urges for you to check before playing!

yamaci17

my 2700x underclocked to 3.7 ghz is more than ready

nothing can break past 60 degrees with low fan rpms with this thing

Let's get the job done.
heat-computer-cooking-with-style.gif

10 fan config, total. This game can eat nuts, even withy higher ambient temps because of this shitty weather pattern.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Let me tell you a little story.
In 2056 Adam Kiciński place a 2PB Drive with CDPR's latest game in a time capsule and sent it back to the year 2013.
This was discovered by a Gaffer who quickly shared it with 4 other fellow PC Gaffers
upon retrofitting the drive to their 2012 PC & equipping it with 4 NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titans they booted up the game and were speechless with what they had just witnessed, within seconds they all quickly jumped on to NeoGaf and posted the exact same reaction.
UNOPTIMIZED PIECE OF SHIT!
20230912_045941ggdfk.gif

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Not all devs stand behind a failed launch. CDPR is working their asses off to turn the ship around.
They need too. They are a stock company without a GAAS title. Gwent was shut down, GOG is a fraction of their profits. The company exists solely because their ability to sell huge single player RPGs, they need to support their titles.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It seems like in the last 6 months devs have decided that their games don’t need to work on current consoles or PCs … wtf?
Fully loading a CPU is a good thing.
Why buy a powerful CPU only to have games use half of it and struggle to hit high fps numbers.
Use everything and get fps as high as possible.
"We don't know how to optimize our product."

Just half-ass and ridiculous in my eyes. These companies don't give a shit about their customers and I wish more just said "fuck it, you're not getting my money anymore." Watch how fast they start producing better results.
Literally the opposite.
Cyberpunk is one of the only games that actually fully utilizes your computer, its squeezes the most out of your components to get the most fps.
Other games are the unoptimized ones because they leave performance on the table by NOT utilizing the hardware they have on offer.
Imagine you have a 12 core CPU but the game only uses 6.....is that game more optimized than the game that will utilize all 12 cores?

What CDPR is effectively saying with this announcement, is that they will fully load your CPU so if your CPU when fully loaded overheats, then expect it to overheat when playing Cyberpunk.

Denton

Cyberpunk already uses CPU very effectively, all threads being saturated. And it has literally never, ever crashed, probably most stable PC game I have ever ran.

Hudo

That's actually a good sign that they're utilizing all the free resources. That's what they're there for.

timothet

ITT: People have no idea what they are talking about.

CP2077, unlike some other games(Starfield, cough cough), is one of those games where high CPU utilisation is actually beneficial to performance and not result of bad optimisation. Their engine is scaling CPU usage across all cores very well.

Here is comparison how it works in CP2077 vs Starfield(timestamped):

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
So people who have it running nicely on their PC currently will suddenly get a forced patch that makes it much more demanding? They did the same thing with the Witcher 3 IIRC and that didn't go down very well either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is idiotic. It’s not going to make my 3080 run at more than 100% usage at which it is operating since the day it released.
Seriously, who isn’t using 100% of their GPUs

Last edited:

Larxia

This is idiotic. It’s not going to make my 3080 run at more than 100% usage at which it is operating since the day it released.
Seriously, who isn’t using 100% of their GPUs
I try to never have my gpu running at max usage. Sometimes I will lower settings if they're not noticeable to reduce the gpu load, makes it last longer, uses less power.

Hudo

CP2077, unlike some other games(Starfield, cough cough), is one of those games where high CPU utilisation is actually beneficial to performance and not result of bad optimisation. Their engine is scaling CPU usage across all cores very well.

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating to see discourse on the internet where people say that if a piece of software is utilizing all the available resources, it is "badly optimized". In fact, using all the available shit is a sign towards good optimization.

peish

anyone playing starfield pc, just open xbox game bar and see how pathetic unoptimized it is for cpu utilisation, hovering between 2-8% load on 7950x3d

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hope you've checked that this cooler is not one of the faulty ones from Arctic. See https://www.arctic.de/en/blog/product-announcement-liquid-freezer-ii-series
I actually became aware of that on Reddit and everything checked out.

I know these things kind of happen but it's kind of crazy how my reasonable amount of mainstream components have had issues like this where a lot of people in the general public seem more affected. I understand something that might be an oversight and can be patched with bios but some degree of these hardware faults or little bit? Makes you rethink which components are going to buy next time even if the current ones you have are rock solid. In my case the Asus motherboard and this cooler right here on top of the 4090 FML

winjer

Gold Member
No, it always used almost 100% of your CPU. Clickbaity tweet. They're just saying it'll be more demanding but the cpu usage and gpu usage will remain the same, aka fully utilized.

I played it at the time on a 2070S, so I was always GPU limited.

mitchman

Gold Member
I actually became aware of that on Reddit and everything checked out.

I know these things kind of happen but it's kind of crazy how my reasonable amount of mainstream components have had issues like this where a lot of people in the general public seem more affected. I understand something that might be an oversight and can be patched with bios but some degree of these hardware faults or little bit? Makes you rethink which components are going to buy next time even if the current ones you have are rock solid. In my case the Asus motherboard and this cooler right here on top of the 4090 FML
My cooler is one of the faulty ones, but it's not like it's not working at all. I just have to make sure to apply the fix from the kit I got from Arctic sometime this year.

PaintTinJr

Lets go baby

o7FSPyQ.jpg
Jokes aside, motherboards and case are so advanced today, that one of those can still do a job to liberate budget in a PC build to go higher to a K cpu.

My nephew's build from four years back uses one of those at just a few quid on ebay, letting him get a better Fractal case with fans, and still get the Intel 9600K and z chip set motherboard. On first build it was spinning at something like 6000RPM, but a few tweaks in the bios clamping the speed to around 2000RPM at lower temperatures(below 65degs) and getting the 3x big case fans to spin up demand on CPU temp had it running cool and quiet in heavy gaming.

Last edited:

Eliciel

lol, systems will melt If even devs say something like that pro actively, actually I do fear running 5800X3D without down volting I can Imagine this processor exploding then...lol

I run the 5800X3D downvolted with a Thermaltake Frost Commander and it can keep 40°C idle and 75°C while gaming. i would hate it to go back up to 90°C, I hate that in general

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Jokes aside, motherboards and case are so advanced today, that one of those can still do a job to liberate budget in a PC build to go higher to a K cpu.

My nephew's build from four years back uses one of those at just a few quid on ebay, letting him get a better Fractal case with fans, and still get the Intel 9600K and z chip set motherboard. On first build it was spinning at something like 6000RPM, but a few tweaks in the bios clamping the speed to around 2000RPM at lower temperatures(below 65degs) and getting the 3x big case fans to spin up demand on CPU temp had it running cool and quiet in heavy gaming.

Those Intel coolers are terrible, you can get decent budget air coolers which perform dramatically better and it's a false economy not to imo. I'm using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo which is very good.

PaintTinJr

The bigger risk is possibly poorly made power supplies dying - that don't match the Gold, etc rating they claim to have, a good old video on gamer nexus shows how flawed and rigged the system for labelling of PSUs is.

Through COVID gpu pricing/availability I was forced to accept a EVGA 700W Gold rated GPU in a bundle to get a new GPU at £550, and despite my old SLI 600watt Bronze PSU having served me well for nearly a decade, I decided to donate to another build and use the newer and supposedly better PSU. It lasted a month until I tried to load minecraft which killed it instantly despite PSU calculator putting my power draw at least 200watts below the rating. Got a brand new replacement sent and the same issue, it died on launching a minecraft world - where all 12 cores on the CPU are active. Finally skipped a 3rd try with the EVGA and replaced it with a well review - by build quality on GN- Fractal 850 Premium which has been good since.

I could see this game take down quite a few PSUs built as badly as the two I suffered.

PaintTinJr

Those Intel coolers are terrible, you can get decent budget air coolers which perform dramatically better and it's a false economy not to imo. I'm using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo which is very good.
True, but he was already so far over budget that spending £3-4 on a cooler was all he could muster to keep the K and Z mobo options. I told him to replace it ASAP, but he's blown money on 144Hz monitors and £100 keyboards since, because the system is quiet and cool in demanding gaming.

Roxkis_ii

I look forward to enjoying it after uninstalling all my mods because the game is broken again. God I need to turn off updates for cyberpunk. This is getting so irritating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom