• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR dev warns players new Cyberpunk 2077 patch (and expansion) might make your PC overheat, urges for you to check before playing!

Larxia

Why. It’s designed to run max
Not everyone can afford to change their GPU every 1-2 years, and if some settings aren't noticeable when lowered, why waste energy for nothing? Shadows for example can most of the time be lowered to high or even medium, compared to ultra being insanely more consuming, without much changes on the visual when you play and don't focus purely on that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not everyone can afford to change their GPU every 1-2 years, and if some settings aren't noticeable when lowered, why waste energy for nothing? Shadows for example can most of the time be lowered to high or even medium, compared to ultra being insanely more consuming, without much changes on the visual when you play and don't focus purely on that.
Makes no sense. You can run your gpu 100% for years. That’s what it’s for and if it breaks too soon, you have warranty.
What’s the point of getting good gpu and gaming on pc if you are not pushing it beyond consoles.

Kinda weird that it runs like furmark which entire purpose always was to run the GPU at max stress? No matter what is happening on screen the load is always kinda high. Driving, crashing, shooting, talking, walking... all high loads?

If thermals are actually a problem they should just program a detection for it and inform the user about it and not recommend some unrelated testing procedure via some X message.
"Your PC runs at XX °C, please ask an expert about improving cooling, clean your coolers" whatever.
The PC enthuasiast probably has too many fans in his PC and is probably fine, but the average clueless gamer does not get the info if it is not coming right at his face.

Larxia

Makes no sense. You can run your gpu 100% for years. That’s what it’s for and if it breaks too soon, you have warranty.
What’s the point of getting good gpu and gaming on pc if you are not pushing it beyond consoles.
There are other things to PC gaming beyond graphics.

Elysium44

Banned

Depends, most games usually fluctuate CPU and GPU usage a lot, and you typically want to turn down settings to the point where the most demanding part of the game doesn't result in low fps below your screen refresh rate like 60Hz. So in practice it means usually your system is running at a moderate pace but well within itself, which keeps heat, noise and power consumption to sensible levels and makes the game smooth at all times.

There can also be a point of diminishing returns, where you might say turn shadows from high to ultra and it looks slightly better but in return for this your GPU pulls another 100w out of the wall socket and has its fans spinning like mad. Can the GPU handle it? Yes, but is it worth it, probably not. (Actually, RT is a better example - sometimes it doesn't look much different but it is very demanding on the GPU.)

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Pfft xbox series s will handle this with ease.

The Series S:

Girl Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Fools idol

Banned
If they fudge this up, what is left of their reputation after the v1 launch is going to be bascally ruined permanently. They had better know that

Why do I sense some heavy

200.gif

here?

Also, people on console, DO NOT PRE-ORDER THIS SHIT! Wait for direct-feed gameplay footage and console reviews before you pull the trigger.

Let's see if this runs "surprisingly well" on current gen consoles too.

Fools idol

Banned
Why do I sense some heavy

200.gif

here?

Also, people on console, DO NOT PRE-ORDER THIS SHIT! Wait for direct-feed gameplay footage and console reviews before you pull the trigger.

Let's see if this runs "surprisingly well" on current gen consoles too.
if it's going to make PC CPU's melt you can only imagine console version is heavily downgraded. There is just no way. It barely ran on current gen at launch.

Since I last played Cyberpunk I've upgraded my PC with new CPU, RAM, and GPU. If my 7950X3D can't handle it then nothing can. My PC exceeds the new specs for RT Overdrive at 4K 60fps so I'm good :messenger_sunglasses:

Is the game going to only make use of 8 cores or will it use whatever you've got? I don't want my 8 other cores going to waste :messenger_tears_of_joy: Starfield actually lights up cores #9 + 10 and that's the first time I've ever seen a game go beyond 8. I wonder if Cyberpunk will be heavier. Would be crazy to see 10+ cores being used.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Since I last played Cyberpunk I've upgraded my PC with new CPU, RAM, and GPU. If my 7950X3D can't handle it then nothing can. My PC exceeds the new specs for RT Overdrive at 4K 60fps so I'm good :messenger_sunglasses:

Is the game going to only make use of 8 cores or will it use whatever you've got? I don't want my 8 other cores going to waste :messenger_tears_of_joy: Starfield actually lights up cores #9 + 10 and that's the first time I've ever seen a game go beyond 8. I wonder if Cyberpunk will be heavier. Would be crazy to see 10+ cores being used.
Bruh that’s the intended behavior. It disables 8 cores during gaming because games run faster when all the threads run on the single CCX with 3D Vcache

Fully loading a CPU is a good thing.
Why buy a powerful CPU only to have games use half of it and struggle to hit high fps numbers.
Use everything and get fps as high as possible.

Literally the opposite.
Cyberpunk is one of the only games that actually fully utilizes your computer, its squeezes the most out of your components to get the most fps.
Other games are the unoptimized ones because they leave performance on the table by NOT utilizing the hardware they have on offer.
Imagine you have a 12 core CPU but the game only uses 6.....is that game more optimized than the game that will utilize all 12 cores?

What CDPR is effectively saying with this announcement, is that they will fully load your CPU so if your CPU when fully loaded overheats, then expect it to overheat when playing Cyberpunk.
I think it's the pattern of concern which is the problem here. Needing a 2021 cpu as recommended specs for running 1080p 60 fps for a game released in 2020, the updated specs less than 3 years after release, and now a developer warning about cpu overheat.

Roni

Gold Member

Says the dev the game is going to take whatever you got.

Larxia

I don’t care
What?... I don't even understand this reply. You sound like I insulted you or something, why do you react like this? I'm just saying I play on PC for other reasons than just graphics, I'm really confused by your answer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What?... I don't even understand this reply. You sound like I insulted you or something, why do you react like this? I'm just saying I play on PC for other reasons than just graphics, I'm really confused by your answer.
We are not talking about this.
Topic of the conversation with you is "why are you not using 100% of your gpu" and that's it.
Then You start explaining that there is more to pc than graphics for which I replay that I don't care :p
I am not insulted. I just don't care about other things that pc can do.... maybe modding sometimes.

Larxia

We are not talking about this.
Topic of the conversation with you is "why are you not using 100% of your gpu" and that's it.
Then You start explaining that there is more to pc than graphics for which I replay that I don't care :p
I am not insulted. I just don't care about other things that pc can do.... maybe modding sometimes.
To be honest even if we stay in the topic of graphics, there are also very often graphic options that are just straight up ugly and the game looks better with them turned off, which can be another reason to not put everything to the max.
A lot of people only think about "ultra ultra ultra", but turn off chromatic aberration, motion blur, depth of field, film grain, all that shit, and your game will look 10 times better. There are also sometimes some effects that are packed into some settings, for example GTA V looks a lot better with the "effects" settings on medium rather than ultra, because once you get into high setting, you get a lot more bloom and such that look awful. FF XV also look better with its post process setting set to low, because the depth of field is attached to this global setting, making the game super blurry sometimes.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think it's the pattern of concern which is the problem here. Needing a 2021 cpu as recommended specs for running 1080p 60 fps for a game released in 2020, the updated specs less than 3 years after release, and now a developer warning about cpu overheat.

This is an overhaul of the game.
Overdrive itself came with new system requirements.
CDPR are just warning you that they will completely load your CPU.....if your CPU cant handle being fully loaded, you might want to consider getting a better cooler.

The fact a game can be future looking especially from CDPR isnt even new......anyone remember ubersampling, at launch literally no GPU in existence could handle that shit at 1080p max settings......but down the line we eventually got GPUs that could handle ubersampling, granted better techniques showed up, but still.
CDPR basically loading up you CPU means next year and the year after your new CPU wont just be chilling, they will be pushed and you can still stress out that new CPU using a game thats already out.

Roni

Gold Member
Cleaned my rig today just for this, got 6°C back after I unclogged the water cooler.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sounds like a viral marketing campaign. When would someone trying to sell you something warm you against buying something.

They want to make this the new benchmark like crysis is/was synonymous with gaming.

Remember any press is good.

Woggleman

I hope they realize that if they mess this up it is their last chance. They are getting no third chances. This is do or die for them.

Lokaum D+

I hope they realize that if they mess this up it is their last chance. They are getting no third chances. This is do or die for them.
LOL, it they mess this up, they ll sell 10 million copies of Withcer 4 on the first week, gamers dont give a shit.

Also... "Despite a tumultuous launch on console, action RPG Cyberpunk 2022 has sold 20 million copies as of September 2022"

Last edited:

Woggleman

LOL, it they mess this up, they ll sell 10 million copies of Withcer 4 on the first week, gamers dont give a shit.

Also... "Despite a tumultuous launch on console, action RPG Cyberpunk 2022 has sold 20 million copies as of September 2022"
I guess so but you would figure they would at least not want to repeat the same mistakes. I actually really liked Cyberpunk but the way it was on release was disgraceful.

Lokaum D+

I guess so but you would figure they would at least not want to repeat the same mistakes. I actually really liked Cyberpunk but the way it was on release was disgraceful.
yeah, but the disgraceful part was mostly on consoles, their sin is that they tried to port this game to last gen consoles, if they had only focused on current gen maybe we would have received 2.0 as release or atleast 1.63.

Last edited:

JRW

If they're claiming Cinebench like temps then 13th gen Intel owners should definitely run Cinebench R23 multicore test, my 13600K was thermal throttling after a few minutes but I learned how to undervolt CPU using an MSI Bios specific setting called CPU Lite Load, changed it from default mode 12 to mode 4 and now it peaks 87C after the full 10 minute run. (DeepCool AK620 cpu cooler)

I definitely need a better case it's a carry over from last PC build and has the classic thick front mesh with crappy intake airflow.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If they're claiming Cinebench like temps then 13th gen Intel owners should definitely run Cinebench R23 multicore test, my 13600K was thermal throttling after a few minutes but I learned how to undervolt CPU using an MSI Bios specific setting called CPU Lite Load, changed it from default mode 12 to mode 4 and now it peaks 87C after the full 10 minute run. (DeepCool AK620 cpu cooler)

I definitely need a better case it's a carry over from last PC build and has the classic thick front mesh with crappy intake airflow.

Im a little concerned over my 13900KS :/ ill run the test

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just ran cinebench on my 13900KS with corsair 360mm rad....100 degrees C on the package in like 1 minute!

Im screwed! Got a great score tho!

Top Bottom