• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: There Will Be No Downgrade For The Witcher 3

Nibel

The pics they released in the last few years didn't look amazing if you focused a little closer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132781172&postcount=497

And with the latest screenshots, I don't believe there is a downgrade, people are just now putting their attention to the low detail distance, the hair models, the fur on the wolves etc.

You know, I was willing to understand why you'd think the game never looked good, and all you've come up with is a post of an even crazier person.

KorrZ

Most games tend to look bad in screenshots unless they're 100% bullshots like Ubisoft likes to put out. I am not worried about The Witcher 3 at all - it looked great at the Xbox One press conference and that was running on an XONE. I have no doubts that it will end up looking even better on the PS4 once it releases.

i-Lo

You setting yourself up for dissapointment if you think PS4, XB1 and non-monster PCs will look like the gifs.

Pretty much this. Wouldn't surprise me if the end result is 900p for PS4 and same for xbone (for parity's sake). With that resolution other aspects may not have to be sacrificed to a great extent compared to PC port. As long as it looks like TW2 on medium-high settings on PC, it would be a big win for consoles.

Fisty

I sure would like to play this game, but not until Witcher 1&2 are on PS4 so I can actually play them.

Pretty much this. Wouldn't surprise me if the end result is 900p for PS4 and same for xbone (for parity's sake). With that resolution other aspects may not have to be sacrificed to a great extent compared to PC port. As long as it looks like TW2 on medium-high settings on PC, it would be a big win for consoles.

The Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 was already pretty great. I think it could look about as good on the PS4 and Xbox One as the things we've seen. I'm not sure, but I think the E3 footage was on the Xbox One.

Banned
Just don't Shadow of Mordor me with the 6GB of VRAM for ultra textures that don't even look 5% better then high settings. My GTX 780 is ready.

Just don't Shadow of Mordor me with the 6GB of VRAM for ultra textures that don't even look 5% better then high settings. My GTX 780 is ready.

Why? You can just turn them off, no harm done. Sure if you got all kinds of settings that marginally increase how the game looks and where you have to figure out what is hogging performance, but Shadow of Mordor made that very clear with the textures.

Ok, I'll bite. What games, out now or soon for comparison's sake, do look good if The Witcher 3 doesn't?

Ok, saying it never looked good was exaggerating because those carefully selected 2 second gameplay gif snippets are nice, I should have said it never looked as amazing like every CDPR fan made you believe. Shadow of Mordor and DAI too look nice, Witcher 3 was supposed to make them look last gen but it doesn't look that better so it'd be nuts if W3 went below that graphical threshold.

Ironically, it actually always happens to be him in a lot of threads.

You must be imagining things.

You know, I was willing to understand why you'd think the game never looked good, and all you've come up with is a post of an even crazier person.
I love the one reference image of Geralt on the horse. It looks bad because of the motion blur. That's why the trees and LOD in the distance look blurry. Yikes.

i-Lo

The Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 was already pretty great. I think it could look about as good on the PS4 and Xbox One as the things we've seen. I'm not sure, but I think the E3 footage was on the Xbox One.

I have the 360 version and I agree that it's a great looking title given what the PC version looks like in comparison. With that in mind, if they can have TW3 running looking like TW2 did on 360 with better AA, less object and shadow pop-in (and higher resolution), it ought to look much better.

Daverid

http://a.pomf.se/bhyyws.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zzmajw.webm
http://a.pomf.se/drkaqk.webm

They're also still going around showing off SoD stuff even as recently as Igromir... I'd like to hope they're not just showing shit off that won't actually make it into the game, but I guess sometimes "tech demo" type stuff does get cut...
I'd like to hope though that if this stuff exists and is already implemented in-game, there's no purpose as to why they'd cut it from the PC version even if it has to be scaled back for Consoles.

ironcreed

Banned
Buying it, regardless. The game itself has too much potential and I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the visuals on consoles.

Shadow of Mordor and DAI too look nice, Witcher 3 was supposed to make them look last gen

GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-John-Cleese-Monty-Python-GIF.gif

why? the quality is pretty much witcher 2 level graphics, but now with open world scale. the new consoles can't do that?

Just finished the witcher 2 on Saturday and this looks a lot nicer. There are parts of witcher 2 that look pretty great but a lot of bits that don't as well.

The animation and details on things like peoples faces are clearly improved.

i-Lo

What they gonna call it when there's parity between the console versions???

Ensuring both platform owners enjoy the same product. They are on good terms w/ MS and iirc one of their upper management/programming dept. personnel prefers xbone for development (given they're coming from developing for xb360).

I have no doubt that they'll look identical and perform the same.

Raven77

How can it be downgraded when it never looked good.

I would agree with you in a way. I don't think the game ever dropped my jaw. It looks really good though, I just don't think that it looks revolutionary-good.

Personally, I think Dragon Age 3 looks a touch better, but that's probably because I like the creativity of the environments and the overall look more. It has a more painterly look to it, which I prefer.

rashbeep

Banned
Not bad no, just not best graphics ever level which some people seem to be expecting. Some people seem to think that it would rival games like Ryse for some reason. Considering the scope, complexity and scale that they are promising with TW3 it's super impressive how good it looks, especially in motion. And it compares very favorably to games like DA: I and Shadow of Mordor while also being way more impressive in terms of scope and ambition. A few rough edges are to be expected in a game like this.

Sure this

has some rough looking elements especially in the distance, but if we compare it to similar scenes in other games like

or this

I would say it looks pretty damn good all things considered. People just need to get it out of their heads that CDPR will pull out some magic and make a massive open world RPG that looks comparable to AAA linear action games. And they have a few months of polish to go yet.

This guy gets it.

Nesther

Nothing, you know very well the PC version will be better than the xb1/ps4 version.. Your just trying to be flippant...

The question is what hardware will be required for it to look better.

I don't know how out of date my GTX670 is and if I should rather get the PS4 version.

boskee

In other news, the statue in Collector's Edition of the game is 1cm bigger than the one in PS4 and PC editions.

33x24x26 cm vs. 33x24x25 cm

Is Microsoft paying for that 1 extra cm? It made me laugh.

erawsd

Eh, they should have just left it at "The game is still in development". Just like Ubisoft, they've now invited harsh scrutiny of the final game.

http://a.pomf.se/bhyyws.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zzmajw.webm
http://a.pomf.se/drkaqk.webm

They're also still going around showing off SoD stuff even as recently as Igromir... I'd like to hope they're not just showing shit off that won't actually make it into the game, but I guess sometimes "tech demo" type stuff does get cut...
I'd like to hope though that if this stuff exists and is already implemented in-game, there's no purpose as to why they'd cut it from the PC version even if it has to be scaled back for Consoles.
where are those from? GDC?

Asbear

Banned
We'll hold them to that ;-)

I still trust CDPR. They have been a bit more PR and marketing heavy with Witcher 3 being AAA, but I still trust they're passionate and proud of their work enough that they won't trick their audience like some other companies like to do.

Daverid

where are those from? GDC?

Igromir, (Although probably has been shown off at other conferences) ended a couple of days ago.

Eh, they should have just left it at "The game is still in development". Just like Ubisoft, they've now invited harsh scrutiny of the final game.

Yea I think I would have preferred them just stay silent.
Now if the game doesn't match previous footage quality they'll be under even heavier fire. Ubisoft did the same thing, to try and make out that there "was no downgrade" and when there very obviously was it caused the even larger outrage and frustration.

You need glasses if you think it is Witcher 2 just on a larger scale.

You should go back and play Witcher 2 if you think the graphics are the same.

maybe you guys forgot how freaking good witcher 2 actually looks (turn off the bloom)...

I can't think of anything from TW2 that looks as good as this.

i think its the scenery that is getting to you, its quite impressive. but as far as actual graphics quality goes, yeah witcher 2 looks as good. geralt's character model here certainly isn't any better. the openess of the enviroment and all the trees are nice, but again when you look at actual texture work or quality witcher 2 is there.

axb2013

To their credit, they didn't decide to just release an unfinished game, they didn't wait until last minute to delay and they are not hiding the game behind yet another DRM platform.

It's like some have "Witcher 3 is terrible" and "100 reasons why HL3 is a fail" posts typed out a long time ago, now their cursors are just hovering over the "Post new thread" and "Reply to thread" buttons, awaiting launch dates.

Until I see proof otherwise, I'm confident CDPR will do their best to take advantage of the hardware progress since W2 but more importantly, I'm confident they'll deliver a proper sequel for the Witcher franchise.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
maybe you guys forgot how freaking good witcher 2 actually looks (turn off the bloom)...

i think its the scenery that is getting to you, its quite impressive. but as far as actual graphics quality goes, yeah witcher 2 looks as good. geralt's character model here certainly isn't any better. the openess of the enviroment and all the trees are nice, but again when you look at actual texture work or quality witcher 2 is there.

You're just talking nonsense now, the faces along show a good jump above the W2.

Philippo

No MS Parity™ clause in this one?
/jk

Don't care about the graphics, i'm even okay with last week screens, the game has many other factors i care about.
Maybe just give me solid framerate and good IQ.

Top Bottom