• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: There Will Be No Downgrade For The Witcher 3

Virdix

Nothing will match the summer I discovered The Witcher series and played for days straight, it astounds me people are dissecting every screen shot for signs of a flaw. Outrageous comments like "it never looked good" are out of line, there is a difference between opinion and being edgy.

Nothing will match the summer I discovered The Witcher series and played for days straight, it astounds me people are dissecting every screen shot for signs of a flaw. Outrageous comments like "it never looked good" are out of line, there is a difference between opinion and being edgy.

no "dissecting" was needed, the recent screens were poor. agreed on the "it never looked good" comment, though i think that was just one person lol.

That's completely crazy. DA3 looks like the cross-gen game it is.

disagree. DA3/DAI looks stunning

i-Lo

No MS Parity™ clause in this one?
/jk

Don't care about the graphics, i'm even okay with last week screens, the game has many other factors i care about.
Maybe just give me solid framerate and good IQ.

30fps (hoping for locked) @900p.

Also joking aside, I'd not be surprised if there is a parity clause. The game has been first shown off on xbone after all and as aforementioned, CDPR has good ties with MS. Plus they have found working on xbone comparatively easier to work with as well.

EDIT: Looks like Ubisoft just proved my point.

Savitar

I don't believe that the console versions will look as great as the PC version but I'm sure they will be damn good looking games.

But considering the patch the last few days has shown I believe pretty much everything will be analyzed to death.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Will look better than those screens on all platforms? Cool with me.

Also joking aside, I'd not be surprised if there is a parity clause. The game has been first shown off on xbone after all and as aforementioned, CDPR has good ties with MS. Plus they have found working on xbone comparatively easier to work with as well.

CDPR has said that it's easier to get higher resolutions out of the PS4 multiple times in the past.

Philippo

I wrote it exactly for that reason lol.

i-Lo

Will look better than those screens on all platforms? Cool with me.

CDPR has said that it's easier to get higher resolutions out of the PS4 multiple times in the past.

Yea, I remember that. However, they also said that they're still optimizing and we've seen nothing of PS4 version. In addition, after what Ubisoft has decided to do, CDPR can follow suit just as easily.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yea, I remember that. However, they also said that they're still optimizing and we've seen nothing of PS4 version. In addition, after what Ubisoft has decided to do, CDPR can follow suit just as easily.

CDPR isn't the type of company to want to follow in Ubi's footsteps.

Kaldea

The game could be 8-bit for all I care. As long as it's fun to play and they do the book characters justice, I'll be happy.

i-Lo

CDPR isn't the type of company to want to follow in Ubi's footsteps.

Well, one would hope so. However, they're a business and they'd like to maximize their potential revenue. Their allegiance is to PC first and consoles second. It would be an ideal thing for them to seemingly remain neutral and non controversial by offering parity between the two versions.

MedIC86

Is there a chance that the PS4 version will be around the same (prolly a bit less) fidelity as the pc version? i own a pc who could run it but i prefer to play it on the 4.

Igromir, (Although probably has been shown off at other conferences) ended a couple of days ago.
They talked about how they updated the wolf hair to be more clumps/wavy at GDC.
But this is the first time I've seen the 'next gen' L'Oréal wolf updated.

For science
ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

http://a.pomf.se/zzmajw.webm

Philippo

Is there a chance that the PS4 version will be around the same (prolly a bit less) fidelity as the pc version? i own a pc who could run it but i prefer to play it on the 4.

Here it says they're targetting 900p for XBO and 1080p for Ps4, and how they're comparable to pc's high settings. Don't know if it's still reliable though (i hope so!).

Teremap

Banned
Haha, not a damn chance.

Well, okay, it depends on what PC hardware you're talking about. But high-end hardware will shit all over the PS4 version from a great height, no doubt about that.

HeelPower

I totally expect parity for this game.

Just because of how CDPR and MS are close when it comes to The Witcher franchise and CDPR always stressed there are no real differences between the consoles.

actually I don't "know"

Seanspeed

Banned
I totally expect parity for this game.

Just because of how CDPR and MS are close when it comes to The Witcher franchise and CDPR always stressed there are no real differences between the consoles.

actually I don't "know"
Oh please don't bring that annoying console drama in here.

Reallink

LOL @ subjectively less appealing screen shots. That last batch of shots was objectively a generational downgrade compared to some of the earlier media they released. Might have just been better to call them console screens or something cause they come off looking full of shit with comments like the OP.

Nzyme32

A generational downgrade.

This place is fucking mad.

I find it's best to just leave at points like this. It won't get better, it only gets worse. A look in the "AC parity" thread and the "MGSV GZ "4k is a feature" - it was actually never stated that it was, just games journalism and no one reading original sources" thread along with any "PC gaming / console gaming" thread demonstrate that pretty well

Had the same thought. The hair tech looks nice, but should wild wolves and bears really look that clean? Somebody else called them "L'Oreal Wolves."

That's hilarious, I first read this 'L'Oreal' and 'Pantene' as city names from the witcher, thinking that maybe different regions had different types of wolves... then I realised they were shampoo brands (it's been years since I've watched TV and been exposed to advertising like that).

I agree though, I'd love to see this type of fur shader adding blood and mud effects where clumps of fur stick together or something, but that's a relatively small effect compared to the overall visual experience.

Reallink

A generational downgrade.

This place is fucking mad.

I find it's best to just leave at points like this. It won't get better, it only gets worse. A look in the "AC parity" thread and the "MGSV GZ "4k is a feature" - it was actually never stated that it was, just games journalism and no one reading original sources" thread along with any "PC gaming / console gaming" thread demonstrate that pretty well

Work on identifying hyperbole and not take everything at literal face value. This is a videogame forum so it's safe to assume everyone is being colloquial. Point is the last batch of shots was rough and I think they're full of shit trying to blame it on poor framing or composition.

RedSwirl

After checking out that new Dragon Age footage I decide to give that 30-minute gameplay reel another look. Man, if they can get that framerate under control Witcher 3 will be the shit. I'm pretty confident of it. I mean, you can notice some flaws in distant objects and a lot of the animations still look like a low-budget Slav game, but in every other aspect this game honestly looks like it's the next level up from what Inquisition is doing. The environments look more believable and natural, and the NPCs seem a lot more active. If Novigrad is everything that gameplay reel says it is and works properly, it could be one of the most technically impressive feats of a console RPG.

One thing I haven't really seen anybody say though is that, honestly, Witcher 3 in some ways reminds me more of Witcher 1 than Witcher 2. A lot of it is in the environments and NPCs.

Maybe it's because I turned subtitles and such off in Witcher 2, but that video was the first time I saw character labels and dialogue text appear above NPCs since Witcher 1. Novigrad as an environment is also reminiscent of Vizima from Witcher 1, though that's likely because Witcher 2 doesn't feature any large cities. Witcher 1's hub areas were also larger than the ones in Witcher 2, so Witcher 3 feels more similar to the former than the latter in that regard. In that gameplay reel the camera angle looks more similar to the Witcher 1 camera -- further out and further above Geralt.

Then there's the story, which looks to have more allusions to Witcher 1 than Witcher 2. The other witchers are coming back whom we haven't seen since Witcher 1, plus Khaer Moren. Then you have environments in the Sword of Destiny trailer like the Vizima throne room. Lastly, the swamp in no man's land looks A LOT like the swamp from Witcher 1. It even has some of the same enemies, and one screenshot (presumably of the same swamp) has a tower in the background that looks like the swamp tower from Witcher 1.

Sanctuary

I can't believe there are people that thinks that looks "bad". Mess.

Nothing this gen is going to look like a 2013 Pixar movie.

Yeah, I don't get the point of that post either. Sure, it's easy to point out textures that look off, but FFS that's the whole not seeing the forest for the trees idiom. Besides that, a lot of people (a whole lot of people) seem to forget that when games are in motion, you aren't going to be able to home in and fixate on certain, "obvious" flaws that you can see in screenshots that focus on them.

There's also a huge difference between graphical fidelity and aesthetics.

Not bad no, just not best graphics ever level which some people seem to be expecting. Some people seem to think that it would rival games like Ryse for some reason.

LOL, what? "Some people" doesn't equal "most people".

Ok, saying it never looked good was exaggerating because those carefully selected 2 second gameplay gif snippets are nice, I should have said it never looked as amazing like every CDPR fan made you believe. Shadow of Mordor and DAI too look nice, Witcher 3 was supposed to make them look last gen but it doesn't look that better so it'd be nuts if W3 went below that graphical threshold.

Have you actually played, or even looked at Shadow of Mordor honestly? Outside of the orc models, it's the last game to be comparing DA:I and TW3 with. Not only is it grossly inferior from a graphical perspective, it's painfully worse in terms of aesthetics. The game primarily has four colors, not counting the sky.

disagree. DA3/DAI looks stunning

You aren't disagreeing about graphics. I like the way DA:I is shaping up as well, but it's in no way comparable graphically.

Sanctuary

Eh where did I ever say it did? I said some people, and I meant some people.

So why even bother mentioning it as though it was some kind of argument that needed to be addressed? Some people actually believe bullshots are how most games will look on consoles.

Top Bottom