• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDProjectRed (GOG) appropriates popularity of #WontBeErased to make point about PC games

green sticker

Neo Member
ERA is nuts here. I don't know, to me, GOG as a company and the service they provide is valuable. They're really Steam's only healthy competition. They've brought to light and made so many games playable over the years.

If every transgression, big or small, needs penance, maybe there's a less damaging option than wanting to see them completely shuttered? Guess I'd be called a corporate apologist.

Maybe they should just fire this current bonehead manning the keyboard on Twitter and pivot. Like I said, Twitter means fuck all to me. People need to get off that shit asap.

Solomeena

Banned
"I couldn't believe I got my ass shredded!" says man after slathering himself in blood and jumping into piranha tank.

Fact is, GOG fucked up. Some people are quite emotionally invested in that hashtag, and any misuse, or perceived misuse, will cause social backlash from them. Moreover, many of them are quite socially connected, so the story will be carried further by some media outlets.

What I really don't understand, is why GOG did it in the first place? That hashtag is a purely American affair. It has no international weight. Wagon-hitching to it, outrage inexistant, would've looked like 'soedji' try-hard-ism. Even without the furor, GOG would've come off as some edgelords trying to cash in on the new hotness. Non-American companies should stay away from trying to cash in with American hot button topics. And I say this as a non-American.

I wrote this while pouring Tanqueray+Dubonnet in my sorry carcass, so it's pretty rambling.

Some people need to be a little bit less emotionally invested in some meaningless words then attached with a meaningless # sign. Grow a thick skin, realize that their precious rights are going no where and will continue to get better as time goes on with or without Trump and learn to accept jokes or satire a bit more as well. And yes, you are rambling.

Last edited:
I think it's a careless tweet that shouldn't have been made, but these people reacting to it take things a bit too seriously and always take this kind of thing way too far.

I think it's a careless tweet that shouldn't have been made, but these people reacting to it take things a bit too seriously and always take this kind of thing way too far.

Why shouldn't they tweet it out? Careless in what sense - that the SJWs are going to be angry... again? How can you go in life always on pins & needles letting the SJWs decide how you live your life?

Airbus Jr

Banned
If every government in the world keep pandering to community like Resetera soon we'll ended up like Thailand ( having 18 genders)

(Straight) Male
A man who likes women.

(Straight) Female
A woman who likes men.

Tom
A woman who dresses like a man and likes women or Dees.

Dee
A woman who likes manly women or Toms.

Tom Gay
A woman who likes women, Toms, and Dees.

Tom Gay King
A manly Tom who likes Toms.

Bi(sexual)
A woman who likes bisexuals, Toms, lesbians, and men.

Boat
A man who likes women, Gay Kings, and Gay Queens (does not include Ladyboys).

Gay Queen
A womanly man who likes men.

Gay King
A manly man who likes men.

Tom Gay Two-Way
A Tom who can be both a Tom Gay King or Tom Gay Queen.

Tom Gay Queen
A womanly Tom who likes Toms.

Lesbian
A woman who likes women.

Kathoey/Ladyboy
A man who wants to be a woman.

Adam
A man who likes Toms.

Angee
A Kathoey who likes Toms.

Cherry
A woman who likes gay men and Kathoey.

Samyaan
A woman who likes Toms, lesbians, and women, and can also be any of them.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
If every government in the world keep pandering to community like Resetera soon we'll ended up like Thailand ( having 18 genders)

(Straight) Male
A man who likes women.

(Straight) Female
A woman who likes men.

Tom

Dee

Tom Gay

Tom Gay King

Bi(sexual)

Boat

Gay Queen

Gay King

Tom Gay Two-Way

Tom Gay Queen

Lesbian
A woman who likes women.

Kathoey/Ladyboy

Adam
A man who likes Toms.

Angee

Cherry

Samyaan
You forgot one:

LukeSkywater
A man who's too old for this shit.

Lmao, fuck Thailand.

EDMIX

Why shouldn't they tweet it out? Careless in what sense - that the SJWs are going to be angry... again? How can you go in life always on pins & needles letting the SJWs decide how you live your life?

I know right.

Look at BFV, folks getting angry at a girl in game...smh. Some folks just got no life

bitbydeath

" attack on transgender rights"
1. Its called Human Rights
2. Have you even read the Article ?
If your entire Identity hinges on someone else using your made up Words, its not realy an Identity.
All i see is the Gov. cutting down on the insanity that is fake Transgender.

First they came for our trannys then they came for our Jedi’s.

I just don't think it's very... elegant? to hijack a political hashtag to promote an entirely different issue (preservation of games) or to market your products. It doesn't have anything to do with this particular tweet and who were pissed off by it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wonder how many people will still be able to post over on Reset Era after this event. =p

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

(Straight) Male
A man who likes women.

(Straight) Female
A woman who likes men.

Tom

Dee

Tom Gay

Tom Gay King

Bi(sexual)

Boat

Gay Queen

Gay King

Tom Gay Two-Way

Tom Gay Queen

Lesbian
A woman who likes women.

Kathoey/Ladyboy

Adam
A man who likes Toms.

Angee

Cherry

Samyaan

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Soon we will all need to carry this around just to navigate everyday life without offending anyone. We should be real proud of ourselves.
1468913174117646508.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
ResetEra : we want justice!!! Transgender for life !!!

Government : b-b-but why? Why would you want that sir?

Era : did you just assume my gender?😡😡😡

Gov : o...ok..well do that....what else do you need?

Era : We want everybody to able nude on beach

Gov : what? No...I think there's already special places for that..nude beach are already available....

Era : 😡😡😡😡😡😡 you're saying I can't show my body? Where's the justice in that? Wheres the freedom? Why can't nude people have the same right with non nude people? Arrrrrghhh...arrghhh....AÀAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHH..

Gov : Ok

Era : We want drugs to be legalized everywhere..cannabis..marijuana everything..yehaawww🤠

Gov: no..no..no..we can't allowed that...

Era : Why not? Do you know how useful it is? Marijuana can be useful for health!!!😡😡😡

Gov : but what if people get addicted? It's too dangerous

Era : It's their fault then 🤧

Gov: ok

Era : We want justice!! Kindergarten and school teacher should be allowed to use tattoes...punk..mohawk hairstyle...piercing..make em more badass yoo😎🤘

Gov : I..I don't think..it's appropriate for teachers to wear such things...esp in class...

Era :🤹😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😲😲😲😲😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😣😣😣😣😩😩😩😩 Racist!! Why ?!?!? Everyone should deserved equal right! You know what they re saying don't judge a book by its cover!!!!

Gov: oo...ok...ok

Era : Now we want every restaurant to provide room for vegan...vegan food..in the name of justice..everyone should be treated as equal....if they refuse ..they re racist toward vegan

Gov : w...what? You mean places like McDonald should provide special food for vegan? Why ??? I don't think vegan should visit places like McD in the first places

Era:arrrrggh...argghh..AÀAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHGH !!!!!

Gov : All right!! Alright!!

Era : 😊😋

Last edited:

EDMIX

Soon we will all need to carry this around just to navigate everyday life without offending anyone. We should be real proud of ourselves.
1468913174117646508.jpg

lol if someone states they are offended by someone elses ignorance....let them be. Doesn't mean someone isn't ignorant to such concepts. When I found out someone I trained judo with as a teen was Bi, I don't even fully understand what that was. When I asked them, they got mad, weeks went by and I explained to them that I didn't mean to be rude or ignorant and they are still my friend, simply that I don't know what it is and didn't mean it in a way to make them upset.

They explained it to me and we are friends to this day. So I get that someone can get offended by someone else ignorance of something , but I also accept that I must be humble in not knowing it and welcome someone teaching me about it. I realized that who was I to get MAD at my friend for being upset at dumb questions I asked them, when I also could have just be more clear on what I didn't know regarding their sexuality. So If I don't know, I don't attack or belittle or get mad at those that are different, I simply welcome them telling me about who they actually are.

Arkage

Banned
Era's mod policy is insane on this topic, as I expected.

That said, CDPR needs to get a non-douche bag on their twitter feed. Trolling a transmovement when they're in the middle of a serious political situation is really stupid.

But I'm still going to buy CyberPunk.

Last edited:

MrRogers

As I said, continue to force-feed your racism on all other people, it's always the same doing it, and see what happens this time...

But it's at least 10-15 years away so sure, meanwhile I have no problem enjoying Cyberpunk 2077, it's more to do with the fact that on the global market and in the future, their recurring bigoted positions as well as those of other companies from the same country, because the same country, means they might not play around for long, and I'm sure they'll go as far as making a racist game next time.

I don't agree with cunts soft authoritarian practices, I say if you insist on forcing your bigotry on me and other people, let's push together towards the only end which is civil war and let's see what happen and how ready you are to enforce it, because trust me I wouldn't hesitate for a second...

As for the The Last Night, what even is the polemic?

Lmao, call bullshit on pretty lies and get subtle (not really) threats of violence and insinuations of future civil war. Fkin hell, does debating even happen at universities and public schools? Clearly not. Its feels, lottas of feels only. Resetera is that way to indulge in your imaginary revolution of death/destruction, youll feel at home i promise!

As the world becomes more global, the world will become less progressive, bank on it. CDPR could promote actual right wing gender and sexuality beliefs, not just prog make-believe ones and sell even more games, because in your supposed global future of rising consumer populations of non- westerners and decline of wrongthink westerners, especially white ones eh ;) social issues like transgender rights will suffer, any moron with a basic understanding of future demographics and power shifts can understand that. 10-15 years from now, the globe will be more african, more muslim, more indian and more chinese, not more glory faced western progressive. The former, if they do become the primary game consumers, certainly wont care about transgender issues and will actively diminish those issues along with general lgbt presence in gaming/popular culture. Cause they actually believe in those "extreme right wing" beliefs. Hell i'd say CDPR are ahead of the curve. Godspeed tho!

Last edited:
I dispute even that framing.

(1) "Freedom of expression" is a new totalizing dogma, and is merely the political ideology that unfettered consumerism engenders to prop itself up, leveling any source of value or norms which places a barrier in the way of greater indulgence and atomization.

(2) These are not so cleanly identifiable as "previously ostracized groups" in every case, when terms like "transgender" created a new reality out of many disparate phenomena that it attempts to co-opt, including developmental disorders that it dishonestly uses as a shield, despite their etiology having nothing to do with "gender identity."

(3) The sudden, emotional surge of these issues in the public square isn't generated by any tiny minority, but by a much larger group of those in the progressive movement who need something like this to rally around. The entire discussion of "trans" tells us much more about a redefinition of identity in general than about a distinct medical phenomenon; it's more about redefining our basic acceptance of our given bodies, now to be understood as some kind of purely arbitrary event (introducing the nonsensical term "cisgender") rather than a natural development that merits the kind of social norms every human society in existence has structured around sex. It's "stuff progressive white people like" all the way down, rather than some kind of grassroots cause led primarily by the afflicted.

1- Well I don't think it is a totalizing dogma considering there isn't a concise movement to establish whatever those values are as truth. Yeah you have some shitheads who can't handle a debate, but that's a generational thing that's way more widespread than a single group. It's currently a challenge to keep an argument going for long before it gets heated and personal and stupid. That however isn't in the name of the truth, but rather thanks to an extreme mix of hyperactivity and superficiality.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. Let's assume for the sake of argument that you want to question the moral values of a gay man or the gay lifestyle in a way that isn't disrespectful to the person itself. Problem is, I don't what the argument is or how you would achieve that and even if you pulled it off, you'd probably get some irrational responses but you probably would have your argument dismantled with some ease. That's not dogmatic, that's the limitation of the very argument that could be presented here.

2- Even if you want to entertain the possibility that transgender people are mentally ill, mentally ill people are probably the single most ostracized people in the history of mankind just barely edging out gay people (and transgender culture is largely based on gay culture for a number of reasons). I'm not sure what is your point here.

3- I disagree with the notion that there wasn't a "grassroots cause" involved. There absolutely was one for gay people, so it seems like a safe assumption. Like I said, it's an easily identifiable cause and there is some political motivation in play, so it's understandable why it's so widespread. I still wouldn't use the "progressivism as a religion" argument you used though because if so you literally could do the same for every political movement in recorded history.

So you know for a fact their deliberate intention was to provoke?

Can't say I do but it seems like a safe assumption. What else could it have been?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
lol if someone states they are offended by someone elses ignorance....let them be. Doesn't mean someone isn't ignorant to such concepts. When I found out someone I trained judo with as a teen was Bi, I don't even fully understand what that was. When I asked them, they got mad, weeks went by and I explained to them that I didn't mean to be rude or ignorant and they are still my friend, simply that I don't know what it is and didn't mean it in a way to make them upset.

They explained it to me and we are friends to this day. So I get that someone can get offended by someone else ignorance of something , but I also accept that I must be humble in not knowing it and welcome someone teaching me about it. I realized that who was I to get MAD at my friend for being upset at dumb questions I asked them, when I also could have just be more clear on what I didn't know regarding their sexuality. So If I don't know, I don't attack or belittle or get mad at those that are different, I simply welcome them telling me about who they actually are.
You were a teenager and didn’t know what “bi” was?

And you are somehow trying to equate this with people who have no interest in the sudden claim that there are a million different sexualities? Implying that they are ignorant by doing so?

I think you have to be pretty sheltered and naive (dare I say, ignorant?) not to know exactly what “bi” is by the time you are a teenager.

Whereas, I think it’s normal to not accept a bunch of recently invented sexuality types. By all means, call yourself whatever you like, but you ain’t forcing me to start using made up words. That’s not ignorance. That’s smart.

EDMIX

And you are somehow trying to equate this with people who have no interest in the sudden claim that there are a million different sexualities? Implying that they are ignorant by doing so?

I think you have to be pretty sheltered and naive (dare I say, ignorant?) not to know exactly what “bi” is by the time you are a teenager.

Whereas, I think it’s normal to not accept a bunch of recently invented sexuality types. By all means, call yourself whatever you like, but you ain’t forcing me to start using made up words. That’s not ignorance. That’s smart.

If you are surprised that I didn't know, why you so shocked others are unaware of other sexuality types? At that age of course I was naive and ignorant...thats the point of what I"m saying.... I didn't know, I thought someone was either gay or straight, didn't know someone could be both. I'm completely open to how naive I was to the world. I accepted not knowing and was open enough to learn as to accept my friend for who they are.

So all words are "made up" and if they are saying that what they are, I have no issue respecting who they are enough to address them the way they want to be addressed.

That isn't a big deal for me. Thats not ignorance, thats called respecting others. Not that hard. (for some)

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

People are categorized and judged as naive, ignorant for not knowing such terms in such a young age now?

Last edited:
Era's mod policy is insane on this topic, as I expected.

That said, CDPR needs to get a non-douche bag on their twitter feed. Trolling a transmovement when they're in the middle of a serious political situation is really stupid.

But I'm still going to buy CyberPunk.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that their twitter operator was trolling the transmovement from this. This could very well just have been intended as a play on words using a trending hashtag. HOWEVER, this is the second time they've had an issue with this sort of thing in just a couple months or so, so it was a really bad move whatever the intention was.

But this is a two way street, and what they did alienated some of their customers. You can't say "boo Dice, don't insult your customers" one minute and "grow a thicker skin" the next, all because of who was offended by the business in question. Well, you CAN, but I think it's a little hypocritical. If you're doing PR for a company, the last thing you should be doing is offending potential customers.

From that point of view, I think the apology was perfect. Essentially, "we shouldn't be getting involved in these issues." And they're right, they shouldn't.

desertdroog

Intent and context are being thrown out the window and just as comedians have pointed out in the recent past, topics are now being considered a third rail; not to be touched despite how specious the reasoning involved to tie outrage to innocuous comments.

GOG's twitter comment didn't offend anyone.

However, people were offended. This means they should take ownership of their feelings.

Last edited:

EDMIX

People are categorized and judged as naive, ignorant for not knowing such terms in such a young age now?

Exactly, I see it at moot, I didn't know a lot of things in my early teens lol

I wish I did and maybe I'd react different when I found out my friend was Bi. Looking at shows on TLC and Discovery Channel , people have all sorts of different sexual identities and fetishes that if I knew this growing up, I wouldn't have been so immature about dealing with it, looking back now...I was just an idiot for how I behaved when I learned this from my friend.

Me not knowing doesn't mean my friend didn't exist or his sexuality was fake. Just means I young and just didn't know of such things, but should have been brought up to accept that folks are different and yes....can be THAT different. (although I wasn't brought up to bash or hate others based on it)

Folks who like eating toilet paper exist, they have a name for it.

Strange.....yes, but I think its sad that folks out here are trying to question the existence of something many already can confirm they are, do and behave as such.

Humans make up words and determine their meaning and existence, so if enough people get hot off of watching people eat, who am I to say its not real or they don't exist simply because I don't.

Once a upon a time folks stated blacks are less then human and still do this type of stuff to this day, so who am I as a African American to cast such judgement on someone who has always been a non-judgmental loyal friend?

Senhua

Fucking shameless witchhunt by ERA. They outrage by the SS of the deleted twitter message? Pathetic and garbage trash forum, I hope that cancer gaming site will get DDOSed to the oblivion forever.

EDMIX

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that their twitter operator was trolling the transmovement from this. This could very well just have been intended as a play on words using a trending hashtag. HOWEVER, this is the second time they've had an issue with this sort of thing in just a couple months or so, so it was a really bad move whatever the intention was.

But this is a two way street, and what they did alienated some of their customers. You can't say "boo Dice, don't insult your customers" one minute and "grow a thicker skin" the next, all because of who was offended by the business in question. Well, you CAN, but I think it's a little hypocritical. If you're doing PR for a company, the last thing you should be doing is offending potential customers.

From that point of view, I think the apology was perfect. Essentially, "we shouldn't be getting involved in these issues." And they're right, they shouldn't.

"You can't say "boo Dice, don't insult your customers" one minute and "grow a thicker skin" the next, all because of who was offended by the business in question. Well, you CAN, but I think it's a little hypocritical."

Agreed. Glad someone has pointed this out as this publisher speaks out of both sides of their mouths.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So now they are promoting illegal activity? That's unreal.

It's more amusing because everyone on that website would get the absolute shit slapped out of them irl by any Pole, where they going to demonstrate at he's house? Order dominos? Glitter bombs? No idea on their thought train on this on where it would get them.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Stop apologizing for jokes to people that don't buy/play games. GOG / CDPR is not going to suffer because of this.
Completely agree with this. Look, the comments are definitely not politically correct and have a rough edge to them — a lot of that comes from the culture in Poland, it’s much less restrictive and politically correct than it is here. Also, people need to learn to lighten up and take a joke.

It’s the same shit with people boycotting Red Dead Redemption 2 — the fact that people are working hard at a game company, sometimes to an absurd level, shouldn’t surprise a single fucking human being, but here we have all this drama — it all comes from the PC Bubble all these fucking people live in. Overtime is encouraged when deadlines are close? NO WAY! Don’t like people being paid 1.5x for hard work? Get the fuck out of here.

Last edited:

Xenon

The fact that they made light of the fact that they were borrowing this hashtag from another group clearly indicates that whoever wrote the tweet was:

- Aware of the political nature of the hashtag
- Knew it was going to ruffle feathers

At least they owned up to it, they didn't claim to be "centrists disillusioned by the modern left".

That makes it insensitive not transphobic. The logical leap here is far too common. As is the "for or against" bullshit narrative that goes along with it. You can make fun of anything, most people do. That doesn't mean that the person joking is doing it out of hate. It's usually at someone's expense, sure. But one could find humor in the absurdity or silliness if the subject. This seems more about making fun of #hashtagculture than the subject of it. Yet the internet outrage culture machine is programmed to see anything that can be perceived negative as a deliberate hateful act by sexist phobic racist bigots.

Sadly getting upset over outrage about this tweet is a bit like being upset sharks are showing up at the public breach when you're chumming the water.

I liked the apology, they said sorry we got political. Not that the content was offensive. You can't say you want games to be separate from political BS, and throw out the occasional jab.

Last edited:

Dunki

A famous jewish Actor/director was it Mel Brooks? Once sad. IF you can not make jokes about a certain group means that this group is not accepted by our society. Especially the did you just assume my gender meme is a great example for it. this new generation tries to silence everything that could "hurt" people they make it an absolute Taboo which again would be very near of fascist methods they despise so much.

This whole mob mentality on social media is fucking annoying.

Filben

Someone should save all those Resetera posts of people saying theyre boycotting the game and then checking those names in 2 years in the cyberpunk OT.
I actually already wrote down names of people who don't want to buy Cyberpunk because it's first person...

A famous jewish Actor/director was it Mel Brooks? Once sad. IF you can not make jokes about a certain group means that this group is not accepted by our society.
This is interesting. I know some disabled persons and what they do not want is to be treated like being 'special' on daily basis; sure, sometimes they need help, but you don't need to constantly asking them if they need help with anything. That also includes jokes, because every once in a while every one makes a joke about someone else, and they (at least my friends) don't want to be packed in cotton. This one friend of mine, wheelchair user, makes jokes about himself (for example "Hey, how's it going?" "Yeah well, you know how well I'm going!" –translated from my language, though). He also once said, "I can't change the way it is, but I can change the way I handle it. And everyday I smile and laugh is a good day."

Last edited:

Sentenza

Like the joke or not, find it funny or insensitive, II personally find absolutely hilarious how on the "other forum" the reaction to a silly joke is making it sound like they argued for burning transgender people at stake. Also arguing about the idea of banning the company from the forum entirely.
They urgently need to come to terms with reality.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Thanks. Yours is a very sensible post.

Looking at the actual Tweet:

Yesterday, we posted a tweet containing a trending hashtag as a pun. The tweet was neither intended as a malicious attack, nor as a comment to the ongoing social debate.

GOG should focus only on games. We acknowledge that and we commit to it.

They're not apologizing. They are trying to defuse the situation, but there's no explicit apology in there.
Which is good, because they sure as hell should not be apologizing.

Words and hashtags are not the property of a group, no matter how under attack they happen to perceive themselves.

Paracelsus

Like the joke or not, find it funny or insensitive, II personally find absolutely hilarious how on the "other forum" the reaction to a silly joke is making it sound like they argued for burning transgender people at stake. Also arguing about the idea of banning the company from the forum entirely.
They urgently need to come to terms with reality.

Their problem is the joke basically downplayed the gender theory. It doesn't matter that you are respectful and tolerant, you do have to actually believe what they want you to believe. Else, you will be destroyed.
Can you see why people who listen to them are fools?

Dunki

I actually already wrote down names of people who don't want to buy Cyberpunk because it's first person...

This is interesting. I know some disabled persons and what they do not want is to be treated like being 'special' on daily basis; sure, sometimes they need help, but you don't need to constantly asking them if they need help with anything. That also includes jokes, because every once in a while every one makes a joke about someone else, and they (at least my friends) don't want to be packed in cotton. This one friend of mine, wheelchair user, makes jokes about himself (for example "Hey, how's it going?" "Yeah well, you know how well I'm going!" –translated from my language, though). He also once said, "I can't change the way it is, but I can change the way I handle it. And everyday I smile and laugh is a good day."
Exactly my niece is also spastika and she thinks the same. It is very important to laugh with but also about them because it makes them not special. Of course not in a vile way but making jokes about her condition (how she walks) also shows that she is accepted and not a fragile piece of glass you need to treat differently.

Last edited:

see ^^ these are the worst comments. these arent the one saying a hard yes or no but they are the soft 'you still have to have our opinion'

Last edited:
Top Bottom