• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cedar Point, Ohio - DISCUSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

that new coaster looks cool. i would love to ride one of the b&m winged coasters. the b&m inverts are my favorite coasters ever. my local park, hersheypark, just put in a new intamin hyper this year. i live within walking distance of the park and it was built along the very edge of the park's land, so i spent about 6 months watching them build it. very cool stuff. my sister lives in detroit and her family goes to cedar point often, so hopefully i can take a trip there with them next summer and check this bad boy out.
Man, i gotta back to hersey park soon.

Anyway, a new CP coaster is always a good thing.

God I love Cedar Point. Sometimes I forget how spoiled I am to live less than 2 hours away from it, when others travel from all over the world to go there.

I cannot wait to try Gatekeeper.

Unfortunately, the wait times are generally long every day, no matter what. There are exceptions, but prepare to wait during busy times of the day at all the popular coasters.

Sulik2

I miss being within driving distance to cedar point. No other thrill part can even compare to it. Millenium Force is a tremendous coaster.

Einbroch

Banned
Bumping this thread because I'm going there next weekend with my girlfriend and buddy from college. Just booked a hotel and am pretty excited!

Question: I'm a foodie. Anything nearby I have to check out for lunch the day after?

G0523

Bumping this thread because I'm going there next weekend with my girlfriend and buddy from college. Just booked a hotel and am pretty excited!

Question: I'm a foodie. Anything nearby I have to check out for lunch the day after?

Not really. All the good food is in Cleveland.

hwalker84

Went last weekend. I didn't know that cedar points rides are considered tiny. Never had a single problem at any amusement park in the country.

Apparently this is too fat.

A bunch of rides I couldn't ride.

Bwa8xsACYAMYQzh.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
Went last weekend. I didn't know that cedar points rides are considered tiny. Never had a single problem at any amusement park in the country.

Apparently this is too fat.

A bunch of rides I couldn't ride.

Bwa8xsACYAMYQzh.jpg

How tall/how much do you weigh? This...may be an issue for me.

I'm 260, 36 inch waste, 5'11".

The only good thing about Toledo is that Cedar Point is less than two hours away. I hope I never reach that age where I can't ride roller coasters anymore.

hwalker84

6'1 275 it was half the big upper body preventing the overhead harness from being able to click into the short belts. The other half was my massive thighs preventing the belt from going over my waist.

The weight will probably be an issue.

Cedar Point is required by Ohio law to follow all manufacturer guidelines, and Intamin is really strict when it comes to size requirements. If you're over 6'5'', weigh more than 240 pounds, or have over a 40'' waist, you shouldn't bank on riding the Dragster, Millenium, or Maverick.

hwalker84

Cedar Point is required by Ohio law to follow all manufacturer guidelines, and Intamin is really strict when it comes to size requirements. If you're over 6'5'', weigh more than 240 pounds, or have over a 40'' waist, you shouldn't bank on riding the Dragster, Millenium, or Maverick.

No issues with Maverick. Ride is incredible. Wanted to ride Dragster so bad.

Half the fun of the Dragster is sitting in the front row, just waiting. One of the most intense moments of my life, and the ride hadn't even started.

Iceman

Half the fun of the Dragster is sitting in the front row, just waiting. One of the most intense moments of my life, and the ride hadn't even started.

I had a three hour wait in line to build up my anxiety for that ride. Watching several cars not make it all the way up to the apex and have to fall backwards scared the crap out of me. I was convinced I was going to pass out the moment it launched. Thankfully didn't and got to experience one of the cooler views - looking over the whole park from 400 feet up, knowing I was going to plummet face forward at 90 degrees. Badass.

Maverick was still the most memorable for me.

KingK

I went to Cedar Point every year from the beginning of middle school all the way through high school as part of an annual school band field trip (went to school in Indiana; about 3 hours away). Really fun place. Dragster, Raptor, and Millennium Force were my favorites. I remember going there the first year the Dragster opened, and it kept shutting down like every other go with over an hour wait time, (and it was shut down half the day because it was raining) so I didn't ride it. I did ride it 4 times the next year though, two of which I was in the front row, which is definitely the definitive way to ride it. My hair was standing straight up afterwards like I was straight out of a cartoon.

That year was actually great because it was like a cloudy Wednesday and there were no lines anywhere. I rode the Millennium like 8 times and only had a 5 minute wait or less each time. The only other group at the park that day was a gay pride thing, so it was pretty neat.

Halcyon

I'm going to Halloweekends the October 10th weekend. Staying at the Breakers with my friend and his family. It's gonna be pretty awesome.

I haven't been there in 4 years or so.

Halcyon

Maverick is way better than Dragster, so don't be too disappointed.

Dragster has the anxiety at the start which is fun, but the actual ride takes like 5 seconds and you're like "ahhhhhh i don't know what's going on we are in the air now we are done"

Apparently The Mantis is getting torn down this year. The ride has a great layout, but the pressure it puts on my legs always makes me want the ride to end sooner. Honestly, I think they should just replace the standing with floorless trains.

Halcyon

The disappointment comes from not being given the opportunity to say those words from personal experience.

Really wanted to try this one too.

There was a point where I ALMOST couldn't fit into MF. The buckle they use is insanely short and getting that thing buckled in was a pain.

Guess it will be rough for me. 5'9", 245 pounds, 42in waist.............crap

Saw thread, skipped every post.

Amazing park, I try to make a visit once a year with the GF during their Halloweekends. The best time to go, in my eyes. Longer hours, better weather, cooler atmosphere. It's not that bad for us, since we live in Cincinnati, but it beats the pants straight off anything Kings Island does. But everything about CP just exudes excellence to me. From the layout, to the availability of food & drink, to the friendliness of the staff, to the parking, to everything. Nothing tops it.

Also, Maverick is the best thing there, no questions, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Raptor. Raptor was my very fist coaster experience at CP, roughly 4 years ago. At the time, I never knew I could laugh like a kid again (26 then, 30 now). The unexpected quick spin flips to a new rider is the stuff that gets me goin, every time.

Love, love, LOVE CP.

Going again next Sunday (2nd time this year, 3rd park of the year, other was King's Dominion), hoping it isn't too crowded, will ride the Mantis one last time and hopefully will get in a few more rides before the year is up. I know they technically started Hallo-Weekends next weekend according to the website but we'll see how Sunday is since school just started for a lot of people.

Also on the subject -

Maverick > Millennium Force (however both are superb), however...
The Intimidator at King's Dominion > Millennium Force

But seriously, give me any fast, tall roller coaster and I will love it, or any roller coaster for that matter.

First time I rode the Dragster we were loaded up on the track when there was a malfunction, maintenance came out and started working on it. Several times during this process the audio before the launch played, something like "Keep arms down, head back and hold on!" We probably heard this audio about 30 times while we sat there, and we all recognized that this plays about 15 seconds before the launch. So imagine everyones surprise when the final time played "Keep arms down he---IT FUCKING LAUNCHED MID SENTENCE! I was looking at my buds to my left when we fired ahead, no one was expecting it and it was goddamned glorious, I'll never forget that adrenaline rush.

I ended up riding it about 15 times that weekend and while it's always a rush, nothing will beat that sucker punch of a first impression.

I'm going on Sunday. Maverick is the best ride in the park, bar none. I haven't ridden it in three years because it always gives my wife a headache. At least MF is almost as awesome.

I went for the first time end of July for three days. Two days at the main park and 1 at the water park. We stayed in one of the log cabins.

It was really awesome, definitely my favorite theme park so far. Although the cabin was really tiny.

The highlight was we kept winning those front of the line passes. I questioned why we even bought the fast pass because we spent less trying to win the FOTL pass. I used the FOTL pass and got to sit in the front of Dragster. My face was about to completely rip off. The only time I bought a roller coaster pic.

Millennium Force is the best coaster on earth as far as I'm concerned, shit never gets old. Best coaster to ride at night too. Maverick is a close second.

That new gigacoaster they are building at Carowinds might give MF a run for its money though, thankfully that park is the closest to me.

Never thought I'd get a record breaking giga in my neck of the woods, crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_325

Prologue

Have an interview in two weeks in Cleveland, thinking about changing plans and going to cedar point instead of six flags great adventure (nj). Are the halloween attractions decent?

Einbroch

Banned
Alright guys, thought I should post about my experience. I went this year fearing I would be too large to fit on any rides.

I fit on EVERYTHING except the Mantis, which is being torn down anyway. No ride was uncomfortable. It was funny sitting next to my teeny fiance and seeing the shoulder bar way above hers, but still, I fit! It was a ton of fun.

Reference to size: 5'11", 270 pounds, large chest but smaller stomach than someone my weight should have.

Was a blast. Went on the Halloween night, stayed until 11:30PM. There was one girl who scared the crap out of my fiance so bad she cried. All she did was play with her hair. I laughed so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom