• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celeste | Reviews Thread

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wow, I created the review thread cause I'm a huge Towerfall fan, the previous game from Matt Makes Games, and saw little attention for this game. Now, a year later, it was GOTY for lots of people, lots of nominations and praise. I'm happy. It's a great game.

I couldn't get into Towerfall as much as I loved Celeste. I prefer the SP experiences over party games :(

ROMhack

Good to hear about the DLC because the gameplay is absolutely brilliant but I really agree with something somebody posted above:

The story and the writing is really bad. Feels aimed at depressed people 10 years younger than I am.

It felt very much that way to me. It's probably an acquired taste but it seems to fall into a college-kid type of gaming experience much like Firewatch and Night in the Woods - which themselves are influenced by mumblecore movies directed by people like Andrew Bujalski and Joe Swanberg.

Edit: Lena Dunham too! Probably a much more famous example because of the TV show Girls.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Good to hear about the DLC because the gameplay is absolutely brilliant but I really agree with something somebody posted above:

The story and the writing is really bad. Feels aimed at depressed people 10 years younger than I am.

It felt very much that way to me. It's probably an acquired taste but it seems to fall into a college-kid type of gaming experience much like Firewatch and Night in the Woods - which themselves are influenced by mumblecore movies directed by people like Andrew Bujalski and Joe Swanberg.

Edit: Lena Dunham too! Probably a much more famous example because of the TV show Girls.

I dunno. I thought it was pretty strong with its narrative for anyone who deals with severe depression/anxiety - regardless of age. But I am also going off of personal experiences and that of friends/family who are 15-20 years older than I am (25).

As someone has dealt with depression for the past 20 some odd years, I thought the writing was stellar. It didn't go over the top, it could be for kids but I don't think getting into the dark nitty-gritty of depression would have done the game any favors. Anyone who feels this way knows what the game was getting at and I was happy to see restraint in the story telling

DonF

I couldn't get into Towerfall as much as I loved Celeste. I prefer the SP experiences over party games :(
I played tons of towerfall with my brother and a couple of friends. One time had a cousin visiting, invited a friend and my brother and had a blast. So yeah, it's a multiplayer local party game. It has solid mechanics, it looks great, loads fast, easy to get into, hard to master, ...it's great!

ROMhack

As someone has dealt with depression for the past 20 some odd years, I thought the writing was stellar. It didn't go over the top, it could be for kids but I don't think getting into the dark nitty-gritty of depression would have done the game any favors. Anyone who feels this way knows what the game was getting at and I was happy to see restraint in the story telling

Fair comment. I feel like I railed hard on the story in an earlier post but its true that Celeste excels at simplicity. It could be about anxiety or depression or jilted romance. Point is, the game is about somebody having a hard time and then trying to persevere because, to be honest, that's all you can ever do. There's a lot of truth to that message.

The music is good too. Great, even.

Lena Raine's EP Singularity is good too.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
game is frustrating as fuck- especially playing it with analogue sticks.

with a good dpad and the game is super.

Last edited:

Rodolink

How different is this compared to the original Pico8 one? (Can't watch videos at the moment) is it a completely different thing? Or the levels are the same. I remember i couldn't even pass the first screen though.

Top Bottom