• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celeste vs. Sonic Mania

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Celeste

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • Sonic Mania

Votes: 137 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

WQRVzT5.jpg

bender

What time is it?
I think Celeste is incredibly overrated but maybe doing everything in Super Meat Boy broke me will for this style of platformer. It still gets my vote. Sonic has never been good.

Megatron

I enjoyed both, but thought Sonic was a little over-rated. I though Celeste was fantastic and it got my vote.

Make a thousand sonic sequels and eventually one of them has to be great, like having a thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters. This is that game. It's cheating to use nostalgic zones from the old good games but the level variations and new parts and music etc really were all great. It was a pleasure to do the Sonic CD style chaos emerald stages too, those are excellent. And there was a Dynamite Dux reference in there. Totally awesome.

As for Celeste, I liked it fine but I think I got my expectations way too high listening to the praise it got. A lot of reviewers on podcasts would talk it up and say how powerfully the story connected with them, and then it turns out it's an inward looking story about depression and mental illness which must be incredibly relatable particularly for modern video game journalists, I'm sure. I didn't dig the story but the puzzle platforming was good enough to get me to the end, although just barely and I stopped going after strawberries in the later chapters because I just wanted it to be done with.

I stand with the thorny blue one.

Reactions: GHG
If it was a full, original game I would have been much more receptive, but Mania is like remix DLC.

Could have been so much better but I suspect they don't have the talent. The best thing they done - what they should have done many years ago - was to lift the physics from the old 2D game. Can't fawn over it too much for that accomplishment though.

Feel like it was received so well because of the sheer thirst - caused by their own self-imposed drought by insisting on delivering so many sub standard 3D and pseudo 2D Sonic games over the years.

Streets of Rage 4 at least tried (but failed) to give us a legitimate sequel.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

This is a really hard one. Both are stellar games. But I’ll have to go with Celeste. Incredible story coupled with perfect platforming. 10/10 and one of the best in the genre.

Kokoloko85

Sonic with its best game in years was awesome this gen. Same with streets of rage

Celeste is great.
Sonic was a aaah finally moment and awesome to play through

Game is super short, even counting the old levels. Like I said, it's a remix. You could argue it takes some kind of talent to do that of course.

the_master

If it was a full, original game I would have been much more receptive, but Mania is like remix DLC.

Could have been so much better but I suspect they don't have the talent. The best thing they done - what they should have done many years ago - was to lift the physics from the old 2D game. Can't fawn over it too much for that accomplishment though.

Feel like it was received so well because of the sheer thirst - caused by their own self-imposed drought by insisting on delivering so many sub standard 3D and pseudo 2D Sonic games over the years.

Streets of Rage 4 at least tried (but failed) to give us a legitimate sequel.
Both Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4 are 2 of the best 2D games up to date, definitely some of the best of the generation. They both have super good gameplay design and level design, both are very well polished and complete experiences.
Very well made games that stand appart from the bulk of games

hayesdude

Neo Member
I'm slightly biased with this one. I've never really liked or understood the appeal with 2d sonic games. I've at least tried Sonic mania and just couldn't stand it. Now Celeste is honestly just an incredibly fun and well made platformer. My vote easily goes to Celeste.

I'm guessing you're one of those "never satisfied" types since you also shat on Streets of Rage 4.

I didn't shit on SoR4, it's not bad, but not bad isn't exactly good enough when you are going up against an actual GOAT. It just isn't as satisfying to play as SoR2 and there are a number of factors why that is the case.

SkylineRKR

Sonic Mania is the best 2D platformer I have ever played. I like it so much, that I want Sega to make a Sonic 4 like this.

I know Sonic 4 exists. But its a load of shit, and has to be erased by something worthy to carry the number.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is Celeste actually good or just a resetera game?

It's shockingly good. It's a pure case study on platforming and level design. I definitely recommend it. It just leaves you wondering how anyone even managed to plan out some of the sequences. It's just pure gameplay.

After beating the game, I watched his GDC talk where he tries to explain his process a bit.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Celeste is 100 times better IMO. One of the best platformers of all time. Feels amazing to just traverse through the stages and not know what kind of crazy obstacles are coming next. It never gets you off track or frustrated at all. You almost always know what to do, you just have to do it skill wise

iorek21

Voted for Sonic.

Celeste is the best game I'll never finish, too frustrating for me.

I'd rather play 5 runs through Hollow Knight's White Palace than finishing Celeste once

SkylineRKR

Celeste simply isn't that fun to me and I don't like the pixel art. Sonic Mania is peak 16-bit goodness, like, real peak 16-bit goodness. It doesn't look deliberately pixaleted like a lot of these present days indies or anything, its clearly actual MD assets at higher res and with some extra stuff thrown in. They cheat a bit as it looks too good for MD, it would've been a great 32x or even Saturn release. Thats why I like about Sonic Mania.

Last edited:
Top Bottom