• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Dumping BotW as we speak. Hope to get into tweaking settings tonight. Impressions so far are looking good! Once I've got it up and running I'll decide if I want to play through it now or wait for performance improvements.

Schlomo

I asked before, but now that more people are playing this, could someone please try if Cemu can force the US/EU versions of the game to play with Japanese text?

The rate at which this is progressing almost makes me feel bad about starting this on the Switch. I think I'll finish it off on the Switch and maybe jump ship to Cemu when the DLC drops.

What is it with movement in this game that's tanking the framerate? It seems like when Link stands still, the framerate can jump up to 10 fps more. I know that sounds weird, but try it.

scitek

GTX 1080
i7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz
Cemu v 1.7.4

I'm getting 15-20fps at 4K using the GPU Fence hack and the patched version of the game. Seems low, doesn't it?

running here at 30fps (6700k/16gb/1080), however the videos are glitchy for me, audio and subs work, but no animation at all, just green ñish vertical bars. is there a fix for this?

GTX 1080
i7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz
Cemu v 1.7.4

I'm getting 15-20fps at 4K using the GPU Fence hack and the patched version of the game. Seems low, doesn't it?

Yes, I faced the same issue but managed to fix it, just delete your existing cache for botw and download a new transferable one again. that should do it.

GTX 1080
i7 7700K @ 4.8 GHz
Cemu v 1.7.4

Make sure you edit the correct .ini file, I did the US one by mistake and didn't realise they were for different regions, went from 15 (incorrect ini tweak) to 30 and that is without the inbuilt speed hack.

scitek

running here at 30fps (6700k/16gb/1080), however the videos are glitchy for me, audio and subs work, but no animation at all, just green ñish vertical bars. is there a fix for this?

Yes, I faced the same issue but managed to fix it, just delete your existing cache for botw and download a new transferable one again. that should do it.

Make sure you edit the correct .ini file, I did the US one by mistake and didn't realise they were for different regions, went from 15-30 without the inbuilt speed hack.

For some reason the GPU buffer cache accuracy was set to High. Changing it to Medium fixed it.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Lifeline

How close to being at least on par with the Wii U version are we? Like without 4K and other upgrades, can the same run the same on the performance level as the Wii U?

untitled-7adsev.png

FZZ

Banned
Is the only way to rip Wii U games still only by having a Wii U?

I have one but I'm curious about how I can dump roms from my Wii U onto my computer

oh it's in the OP lmao

Is the only way to rip Wii U games still only by having a Wii U?

I have one but I'm curious about how I can dump roms from my Wii U onto my computer

oh it's in the OP lmao

DDD is still my preferred way even if it's a little sleep. Set it up at night and it's already set to go on your pc in the morning.

It's fantastic to see such a fast progress with BotW but no one is checking Xenoblade or Bayo 2 :(

i tried bayo 2 on 1.7.3d and its still a no go for me

framerate is 60 fps but drops fairly often/not stable, and the audio crackling is unbearable (i've already cranked down the volume in cemu to 20%, no difference)

i5 4690k @ 4 ghz, 16 gb ram, 980ti

OmegaDL50

It's fantastic to see such a fast progress with BotW but no one is checking Xenoblade or Bayo 2 :(

I agree. It would be a real shame if all of the effort gone into this emulator was entirely focused on Breath of the Wild, rather than improvements to Wii U emulation in general.

I mean considering the amount of money being generated by the Patreon. I'd think serious progress being done that made leaps and bounds to BoTW improvements would also translate over to other Wii U games.

I don't want CEMU to become good at running one game well at the cost of other games being left behind.

I'm sure things will work out well though for stuff like Smash 4 and Bayonetta and other games that have problems running. It's a matter of time I suppose.

jediyoshi

I agree. It would be a real shame if all of the effort gone into this emulator was entirely focused on Breath of the Wild, rather than improvements to Wii U emulation in general.

I mean considering the amount of money being generated by the Patreon. I'd think serious progress being done that made leaps and bounds to BoTW improvements would also translate over to other Wii U games.

I don't want CEMU to become good at running one game well at the cost of other games being left behind.

I'm sure things will work out well though for stuff like Smash 4 and Bayonetta and other games that have problems running. It's a matter of time I suppose.

Even if you throw Breath of the Wild entirely out of the equation, the amount of progress this update is still incredibly significant. Between multithreaded shader compilation to being able to reassign texture formats, all this says to me is that people aren't actually familiar with the typical speed of emulation development at all. I don't think I've ever seen so many simultaneous conspiracy theories of it being shady that progress is so fast and so slow at the exact same time.

Even if they're prioritising BotW, their patreon being 30k a month means those games are getting more attention than they would without the demand for better Zelda emulation.

From what I've heard, this emulator is developing at a really fast rate. a rising tide raises all ships; I don't think you have anything to worry about.

n0razi

How close to being at least on par with the Wii U version are we? Like without 4K and other upgrades, can the same run the same on the performance level as the Wii U?

Depends on your hardware but I'm already getting mostly better than Wii U performance (obviously still have bugs and glitches).

Vuze

I only have 16Gb of ram which it seems to chew through when precompiling the shaders. Anybody else have this problem?
It's a Bug in the NVIDIA driver (if you're using a NV card). Exzap has already reported it, perhaps it will get fixed at some point.

Emulation isn't "get game A working at the cost of game B"... The end goal is to emulate the system accurately, and any work to make game A work will benefit the system as a whole (minor temporary regressions aside)

Emulation isn't "get game A working at the cost of game B"... The end goal is to emulate the system accurately, and any work to make game A work will benefit the system as a whole (minor temporary regressions aside)

That's not necessarily true. Quite a few N64, PS1, Super Nintendo, and NES emus prove this assertion false. It wouldn't be until the late 2000s that we had a truly accurate snes emulator because too many emulators had focused on just making commercial games work rather than caring about accuracy.

Without being able to see the source code, it's hard to know if the CEMU team are using workarounds to get Zelda working or actually improving the accuracy of the emulator.

Question -

So the TextureOverride:

Code:
[TextureRedefine] # Shadows
width = 640
height = 360
overwriteWidth = 2560
overwriteHeight = 1440

is necessary for increasing shadow resolution, but breaks the lighting, causing this weird kind of bloom offset in the top left corner:

so I've tried narrowing down the effect of the override based on texture format, but even though I've tried excluding every format between 0x000 through 0xfff, I'm still affecting whatever texture format is responsible for the shadows and the lighting. anyone have any ideas?

OmegaX06

Forced to use a 5k cache at the moment. I run out of memory when trying to use the 17 and 19k versions. Does anyone have something in between they can share?

MTC100

Banned
honestly surprised it didnt hit 30k sooner. i have to say, tho, i was skeptical of what good so much money could do, but at this point, if you told me they were gauging liquid food into their stomachs while they work on this 18 hours a day id believe you

They are quite honest, that's for sure. If they would want to make a good buck for their work they would have slowed down much more but instead delivered a very essential update with 1.7.4.

I'm quite sure their donations will go down once BotW is emulated close to perfect.

Nabbis

Finally bought BOTW but it looks like ass compared to these screenshots, surprise. Wii U really does not do the game justice... I suppose it's a given that this will function properly soon and i can use my game and save to play on the emulator?

akira28

1.7.4c is up now. Fixes some crash bugs.

untitled-861s05.png

Light Souls?

Was fooling around with the old 1.7.3d and sinking into the ground etc. But I hang-glided onto some giant ogre and started stealing his shit while he was sleeping. That's nice. That's a new Zelda moment for me.

AlterOdin

It crashes on me precompliling 19000 shader cache. I get to 15000

Just restart, the already compiled cache will go quick and then pick-up where you left off (ie crashed).

Crashed 3 times for me, think the multi-threading could be bugged, and sometimes crashes.

Edit:

If it's crashing, you are almost certainly running out of memory while compiling. Restarting did not help in my case, as the RAM usage shoots up very very fast. This is all due to the NVIDIA driver bug.

Have 32GB, so memory is not the issue, at-least not for me.

Top Bottom