• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Marcelus

How do you apply 4xMSAA?

MSAA+SSAA. Only MSAA not work. Use Nvidia inspector and do ot use any AA code but this is not much good solution. Better looks with downsampling

beznzvucna12.png

jediyoshi

MSAA+SSAA. Only MSAA not work. Use Nvidia inspector and do ot use any AA code but this is not much good solution. Better looks with downsampling

beznzvucna12.png

Have you tested to see whether this is actually doing anything? If you're running BotW at 4k, it's already 9x SSAA at 1080p.

jediyoshi

You can still see a lot of aliasing in this game at 4K.

Not sure how that's related. Through drivers, you can't force Cemu to render more pixels of a scene out (which is why 4k shots didn't start popping up until graphic pack support was added), so I'm curious whether anything is actually happening, specifically in regards to MSAA/SSAA.

Freakin Switch stock in my area is non-existent. Which pushed me to finally deciding to upgrade my machine just to squeeze out more performance in BotW on PC. I'm impatient. And a new CPU won't hurt me anyways. I also don't think you can migrate Switch saves over to PC.

Not sure how that's related. Through drivers, you can't force Cemu to render more pixels of a scene out (which is why 4k shots didn't start popping up until graphic pack support was added), so I'm curious whether anything is actually happening, specifically in regards to MSAA/SSAA.

Oh. I thought you were suggesting that 4K is plenty enough for AA. Yeah, would have to see comparison shots which are admittedly difficult to do in this game. But not impossible.

Couple things - I'd suggest editing the high res shadow pack to use values that are at least double than what they come as (i.e. use 2880p and 1440p rather than 1440p and 720p), and also make sure that your high res shadow overrides are in a different Graphic Pack than the one you're using to boost the overall resolution of the game. For some reason (it may have to do with the extra shaders in the overall resolution pack), having the shadow overrides and overall resolution boost all in one Graphic Pack causes weird artifacting and glitching.

Thanks. I'll give that a try to see if it works any better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Forcing anti aliasing through Nvidia Inspector (aside from FXAA, I assume that works) absolutely has no effect.

DQc5SQz.png

Left is with forced SGSSAA + FXAA, right is with nothing.
Blown up 2x.

UaF25zo.png

Marcelus

Forcing anti aliasing through Nvidia Inspector (aside from FXAA, I assume that works) absolutely has no effect.

DQc5SQz.png

Left is with forced SGSSAA + FXAA, right is with nothing.
Blown up 2x.

UaF25zo.png

FXAA with downsampling look very nice but drivers FXAA not see on screenshots and reshade kills performance

5K@1440p+FXAA(reshade, 20 FPS) is not 100% perfect but this is best solution for good AA in this game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Only 12 days since 1.7.4, but its been a good bit since they released that first video showing off the changes of 1.7.4 so they've probably got some notable changes in the works.

pestul

Do you guys think it would be dangerous running the Cheat Engine speedhack while I play the game through SteamLink? I didn't know how touchy Steam was now with it running in the background. I'm worried I'll leave it running and accidentally start a VAC enabled game lol.

Ritzboof

R5HZZ28.png

full context

also, i wanna ask, is there a notable difference between emulating BOTW 1.1.0 and 1.1.1? or 1.1.2, if thats circulating yet?

Eeeesh. Even with a 7700K I get pretty bad drops to 20-25. It definitely stays closer to the 30 realm and is quite playable. Feels better than the janky cheat engine nonsense.

Also, end of April for the next update? Am I reading that right? That's not bad.

Vuze

Nice news about the end of April release. Kinda hope the team doesn't forget about other WiiU games and manages to achieve improvements that satisfy Zelda-only patreons while also making other games compatible etc.

Also cooked up a quick powershell script that updates BOTW graphics packs from the repo since those are in constant change if anyone cares https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mhvuze/PowerShellScripts/master/botw_graphics.ps1
Place it in the graphics pack folder and run it from there. Pulls 4K and 5K + all enhancements by default

E: Really hope they adress these 0.20fps locks. Had two in the past hour. Once when trying to loot the chest near the ice skill shrine and another one when climbing the top of the cathedral ruins where you meet with the old man after you redeem your orbs.

E2: Also tiny update to the xbox patcher, includes L, R, ZL, ZR for a more consistent experience. https://mega.nz/#!cJQ0kBQA!sWPObIjZ8AikgYaDFhWerUtVHERoakOFFlbiW7Ilw6Y

pestul

E: Really hope they adress these 0.20fps locks. Had two in the past hour. Once when trying to loot the chest near the ice skill shrine and another one when climbing the top of the cathedral ruins where you meet with the old man after you redeem your orbs.
That's my biggest problem as well. One i was lucky enough to get in and save and reload that spot.. but I had two happen in succession in less than 15min of play.

That's my biggest problem as well. One i was lucky enough to get in and save and reload that spot.. but I had two happen in succession in less than 15min of play.

Yeah, I could deal with the kinda crummy performance but the crashes and soft locks were just way too annoying. I've put Zelda aside until Cemu gets updated a few more times.

Ritzboof

ive learned to get around the mutilated FPS situation by never being on top of a cryosis block if i can help it. im pretty sure being on one with a chest (i.e. picking up a chest floating in the water) guarantees this will happen. if youre quick you can get the goods, but yknow

if it does happen, though, you can hold + and the inventory screen should pop up next time a frame comes your way. the menu works fine, so you can just save and reload. itll save whatever you got in the chest if you managed to get it, too, obviously

i realy hope they focused on this game breaking stuff, though. dead FPS in certain scenarios, dead game when approaching certian areas, and dead lakitu randomly when doing certain things in shrines/divine beasts is immensely frustrating. id be happier with this stuff mostly fixed than a simple performance boost, but id be over the moon if they managed to fix all that and make the game run better

Nick Pal

Damn I didn't know this thread even existed. Cool..

Since I started using reshade I've been getting these texture glitches where they're just not loading until I'm near or standing on that surface and grass just seems to be floating in mid air in some places. Could also have something to do with my nvidia control panel settings but it's not really playable right now :(

Ritzboof

Never tried cheat engine. WHat are the steps for this?

itd be a good idea to check out cemu on reddit for performance stuff. cheat engine involves downloading a third party program that you use while cemu is running. however, if you can get the game to run at 25-30fps normally, using cheat engine makes the game substantially less enjoyable

my immediate recommendation to peeps, though, is to check out your nividia control panel if you have an nvidia card. there are a few setting you can change that improve performance dramatically. with cemu hook and affinity set to physical cores bringing my game up to around 20fps, altered nvidia settings brought my fps up to 25-30 basically anywhere

Scarecrow

itd be a good idea to check out cemu on reddit for performance stuff. cheat engine involves downloading a third party program that you use while cemu is running. however, if you can get the game to run at 25-30fps normally, using cheat engine makes the game substantially less enjoyable

my immediate recommendation to peeps, though, is to check out your nividia control panel if you have an nvidia card. there are a few setting you can change that improve performance dramatically. with cemu hook and affinity set to physical cores bringing my game up to around 20fps, altered nvidia settings brought my fps up to 25-30 basically anywhere

Ya, I've tried everything on reddit, but can't get beyond the teens outside of shrines. Tried fiddling with the nvidia settings, physical cores, etc.

running an Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz
That doesnt have the best single thread benchmark, think that performance is pretty much in line with what you can expect from a mobile cpu. The only thing you could double check is that you are not running in any sort of power saving mode so it doesnt throttle.
Dont forget that the only people seeing anywhere near locked 30fps are overclocking desktop i7's.

Scarecrow

That doesnt have the best single thread benchmark, think that performance is pretty much in line with what you can expect from a mobile cpu. The only thing you could double check is that you are not running in any sort of power saving mode so it doesnt throttle.
Dont forget that the only people seeing anywhere near locked 30fps are overclocking desktop i7's.

Maybe the game will run better in a future version.

Maybe the game will run better in a future version.
Whilst there is clearly lots of optimisation to be done there also many accuracy improvents to come which will increase the performance requirements.
Im happy to leave the emulator for another year to see how it develops. Really want to play BOTW with all the fog effects in place as the ambience is really affected without it.
legend-zelda-breath-wild-screenshot.jpg

PGamer

fucking juniors
So why is this emulator only using a single core?

From Exzap on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/3t6l7k/recommended_specs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/3yn41e/processor_gpu_load/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/4ghxzp/multicore_recompiler_support/
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/52qa0r/cemu_160_improvements_preview/

It's unlikely that Cemu will ever utilize more than 4 cores.

Cemu uses two cores (one for CPU and one for GPU emulation) but one of them will always be the bottleneck and the other core will have to pause & wait. Only in rare circumstances you can get equal or full load on both cores.

Up to 3 threads are possible for CPU emulation (one for each PPC core). GPU emulation cannot be split into multiple threads but there is huge potential for optimization.

On Wii U, some of the threading logic and API is tightly connected to the physical cores. If we attempted to run 2 threads on the same PPC core at the same time it would lead to all sorts of race conditions. We also can't cheat and add extra cores (core 4, core 5 etc.) because again the API is hardcoded to support only 3 cores.

0% gain. We already had multi-core support for the interpreter and it actually slowed down emulation due to extra coordination overhead. But generally it depends on the game, there are very few that actually utilize the extra cores in Wii U's multi-core setup.

If you are asking about 'Dual core' mode like in Dolphin then the answer is we already are doing this (One core for CPU, one core for GPU command processor).

If you are asking about CPU emulation specifically (which we could split up into three cores but are currently using only one) then the answer is we have no plans to change that in the near future because it would not bring any significant speed boost for almost every game and we would lose determinism (which is essential for stuff like netplay).

Eirulan

Hi all, two questions:

1.) Is it already possible to load specific controller/input profiles via gameProfiles?
I would like to have different input mappings per game?

2.) Is it already possible to check/uncheck cemu hook via gameProfiles?

Vuze

Hi all, two questions:

1.) Is it already possible to load specific controller/input profiles via gameProfiles?
I would like to have different input mappings per game?

2.) Is it already possible to check/uncheck cemu hook via gameProfiles?
1. I don't think so. Good idea though.
2. The fence skip? Yeah.

[Graphics]
disableGPUFence = true

McLovin

I recently (this week) upgraded my pc to gamer pc status. First thing I did was get Cemu. Finally got Zelda up and running at 4k solid 30fps.
Pics :D
EOrZVqF.png

eo7LDI3.png

AQ0G9jC.png

5olid_5nake

Any chance that someone would save me the trouble and tell if my old but trusty i5 3350p cpu would handle Zelda in it's current state? Or should I wait a bit for another Cemu iteration?

Any chance that someone would save me the trouble and tell if my old but trusty i5 3350p cpu would handle Zelda in it's current state? Or should I wait a bit for another Cemu iteration?
It won't. Nothing really can yet.

(That's the short answer. The long answer involves using hacks to get it somewhat "playable".)

Marcelus

Boooo :(

The game is very enjoyable on my new 7700k, but I'm still running into a lot of places that run at sub 20 fps in Zelda (fuck that military training camp).

I have "only" i7 4770 but many locations are only in 20 FPS. Only shrines runs stable 30. For now I stop play this game. Game is perfect and looks beautiful but with or without hacks is not much playable. With cheat engine speed hack runs relative good but still not smooth. I want the game to run as Wind Waker HD.

Top Bottom