• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

As the cheapest possible entry, any impressions how the dual core Pentium G4560 fares?
Fot BOTW? Considering how poorly all but the highest overclocked 7700K's run it, certainly not well. Unfortunately, regardless of which CPU you have, we're all pretty much stuck with subpar performance until the emulator itself improves.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So what? I wouldn't mind 2 gigs or ten gigs, it's temporary anyway.

what do you mean its temporary? Save states stay around unless you manually delete them. They're basically saving the memory into storage.

I agree it would be nice to have, but writing 2Gb of savestates, and loading 2Gb of savestates probably have some notable impact.

what do you mean its temporary? Save states stay around unless you manually delete them. They're basically saving the memory into storage.

I agree it would be nice to have, but writing 2Gb of savestates, and loading 2Gb of savestates probably have some notable impact.

The emulators I've used have slots which I assume are overwritten when saving a new state. Is that not the case?

Either way, I'm not to concerned with having this functionality.

Head.spawn

Fot BOTW? Considering how poorly all but the highest overclocked 7700K's run it, certainly not well. Unfortunately, regardless of which CPU you have, we're all pretty much stuck with subpar performance until the emulator itself improves.

Ehh, not so much. I posted a clip of that setup with a 1060 a couple of pages ago. It performs pretty damn well, better than the results a lot of people with beefier rigs have been posting.

Edit, here ya go,

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=233283540

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The emulators I've used have slots which I assume are overwritten when saving a new state. Is that not the case?

Either way, I'm not to concerned with having this functionality.

You're totally right about overwriting. I tend to do multiple savestates but you could just overwrite. I don't think its a bad idea, I just understand why they're not doing it.

would this build be good enough to run zelda at 1080 locked 30fps

Ryzen R7 1700 CPU
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB

graphics card sucks but my bro gave it to me for free, heard CEMU is mostly CPU dependent

Ryzen R7 1700 CPU
GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB

graphics card sucks but my bro gave it to me for free, heard CEMU is mostly CPU dependent

Basically nothing runs 30 fps locked yet. Give them a little more time to optimize it.

Ritzboof

Ryzen R7 1700 CPU
GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB

no PC on the planet runs at locked 30 fps outside of shrines. give CEMU another couple months, and itll probably play a bit better on more computers. you might be able to play it fine, but i cant say for sure

pestul

I'd be happy playing the game now if they fix the 0.2fps bug / crashes and a few other glitches. This is on a Xeon x5650 @4.2GHz and 5k downsampled. I tried the speedhack but it just messes with parry timing too much.

jediyoshi

It depends on how they're set up, just like manually choosing to save/overwrite/delete any other file doing anything else on your computer, it's not a relevant point about just the storage itself.

Here's the actual quote for context

Good idea, but only in theory.
Implementing savestates in CEMU is incredibly problematic due to how the Wii U works. On top of that every savestate file would be multiple gigabytes in size which is not something you can casually upload and attach to your bug report. There are even more problems but it suffices to say that savestates won't be coming to CEMU anytime soon, if ever.

theultimo

1.7.5 released (to patreons) looks like a big bugfix.

Im hoping bayonetta 2 audio is fixed but ill have to try.

E:nope!
Code:
CPU/Interpreter: Improved accuracy of various floating point operations (including correct handling for PPC's non-ieee mode)
CPU/JIT: Added experimental support for PPC's non-ieee mode
CPU/JIT: Optimized loops and branches by caching CR0 in x64 flags register if possible

RPL: Fixed a crash caused by too large SDA areas

GX2: Various optimizations for the graphics backend, including:
		... optimizing the algorithm for vertex/uniform/streamout cache lookup
		... avoiding all redundant GL state changes
		... implementing OpenGL DSA for textures
		... other micro optimizations throughout the entire code
GX2: Fixed a bug leading to corrupted shader cache files
GX2: Rendering to SNORM textures is now correctly handled on Nvidia GPUs
GX2: Fixed a bug in GX2ClearBuffersEx() and GX2ClearDepthStencilEx() where depthbuffer->clearDepth was set to the incorrect value
GX2: Fixed crash caused by unsupported vertex/geometry shader mode
GX2: Added experimental mode 'min' for game profile option 'accurateShaderMul' (see gameProfiles/example.ini for details)
GX2: Modifying the 'accurateShaderMul' game profile option now invalidates precompiled shaders

renzolama

1.7.5 released (to patreons) looks like a big bugfix.

Im hoping bayonetta 2 audio is fixed but ill have to try.

E:nope!

Yeah, as a pre-BOTW supporter I'm starting to get a little frustrated with what feels like a dramatic shift in development priorities based on the BOTW money flooding in lately. I can't recall hearing anything about Bayo 2 for quite awhile now. I'm starting to feel a bit more negatively about the closed source + donation model for the first time since it means that there's no opportunity for others to contribute to fixing issues for games that are not the current hotness driving donations.

Edit: To be clear regarding my complaint about the project financial model, I'm not criticizing the developers of the project or accusing them of ignoring non-BOTW supporters/issues. It's just unfortunate that the lack of open source + monthly donation model combines in a way that dramatically incentivizes a narrow development focus on whatever is driving the donation fever that month. I doubt that the developers of the project are in love with that aspect of it themselves since it probably forces them to weigh potentially-immediate financial loss more heavily than they'd like to when determining development priorities.

Locuza

Actually 1.7.5 reads like it has a lot of general performance optimizations:

- CPU/JIT: Optimized loops and branches by caching CR0 in x64 flags register if possible

- GX2: Various optimizations for the graphics backend, including:
... optimizing the algorithm for vertex/uniform/streamout cache lookup
... avoiding all redundant GL state changes
... implementing OpenGL DSA (Direct State Access) for textures
... other micro optimizations throughout the entire code

At least the changelog doesn't note anything game specific.

dragn

finally i get 30 fps too with a 6700k/390, before i had 15-25 fps and many stutters or freeze for like 1-2 sec. now its almost 30 all the time and smooth, wow

dsk1210

finally i get 30 fps too with a 6700k/390, before i had 15-25 fps and many sutters or freeze for like 1-2 sec. now its almost 30 all the time and smooth, wow

Awesome, need to install this later.

Been really enjoying Zelda on the Switch but its image quality is poor.

Is there missing fog in the cemu version? Just seems less fog from what i have played of both versions.

Awesome, need to install this later.

Been really enjoying Zelda on the Switch but its image quality is poor.

Is there missing fog in the cemu version? Just seems less fog from what i have played of both versions.

Yeah all the fog is missing, really noticable in the intro when you look out from the outcrop, the game looks quite sterile without it imho, it really adds to the ambience.

Disappointed in 1.7.5. Performance seems slightly improved but I'm encountering way more graphical glitches, particularly related to some later game abilities and scenes with lots of grass.

e: lava also seems better, but still not perfect:
33385188184_75789a36be_b.jpg

pestul

Just played for about 20min and it and it feels like a pretty good update. Framerate is improved. There's still a nasty lighting glitch on mine around torches and other sources. Getting there for sure. I'll have to try some of my other games later.

Finally decided to contribute and try out CEMU. MK8 is amazing! Some audio bugs and hitching from cache but it runs and looks gorgeous.

I'll still be picking up MK8D next week though, need it portable + perfect sound etc.

Next I tried Splatoon, the audio whenever you go in a puddle gets really loud so it's basically unplayable, which is a shame.

And I'm about to try BOTW. I'm not expecting much as my CPU is 3.7GHz~, but I'll give it a try!

Grassy

Why do you say it should when it's not in the patch notes?

It's not in the patch notes, but it in the actual post:

More accurate floating-point emulation

Wii U's CPU has a few differences that are difficult to emulate on a x64 CPU and so far we always tried to do it 'good enough' but not perfect. Mainly because perfect FPU emulation would mean cutting the performance at least in half. With Cemu 1.7.5 we have found ways to get almost-perfect FPU emulation at relatively little extra cost. Luckily, this release comes with optimizations to compensate for the slowdown from the extra accuracy.

So, which games are affected? The most notable cases are BotW and Splatoon.

BotW's physic engine is very sensitive to even slight inaccuracies. In previous Cemu releases this would lead to softlocks or camera bugs. In 1.7.5 these bugs are gone.

Splatoon also sees several improvements. Based on our tests it seems like there are no longer any gameplay issues (like invisible enemies or ink mechanics not working)

https://www.patreon.com/cemu/posts

Mergesort

You can save and load a game from in-game right? A savestate would be temporary because you would only use it at places where it's not possible to save in-game. It's not the main way to save the game. I wouldn't mind saving and loading 2 gigs if I really really need to. I would use my SSD for faster saving and loading and plan to upgrade to a M2 SSD later. It doesn't need to be practical if it does what I want it to do. Is there a way for other devs to make savestates possible?

Someone doesn't know how save states work.

Enlighten me.

Bayo 2 has a lot of flickering

Have the devs said anything about sound accuracy? I'm sure it's hard to do so it's probably quite far down their list, just wondering if they've ever acknowledged it. :)

Also, is it advised to change cache for every different game? So you only build caches for that game? Thanks.

Also, is it advised to change cache for every different game? So you only build caches for that game? Thanks.
All caches are stored in the shaderCache folder and, based on which game is loaded, Cemu knows which one to load. As a result, there's nothing you need to do manually, outside of potentially downloading already built up shader caches from the internet if u don't want to create your own from scratch when you start a game.

Top Bottom