• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Ultimately it isn't possible to replicate the motions you'd do on a gamepad 1:1 to the DS4 because literally not all axes are accounted for. At best the only axis you can reliably control is the vertical tilting.
Isn't it possible to use the gyroscope in the DS4?

Anyone else experiencing severe stutters and freezes with Captain Toad, using the latest version? I keep reading everywhere that it runs at 60fps (for most, at least), and it does, but for me it freezes every couple of seconds and then continues, making it extremely annoying to play :(

That's the shader compilation time, it should stop freezing once you have already compiled everything, or you get a precompiled file from somewhere on the latest version.

Chavelo

tried Zelda WW HD and it runs beautifully on a 6700K+1070

Hell yeah, I'm really looking forward to trying the emulator out once I receive my new motherboard, alongside my 6700k and ASUS STRIX ROG 1070 GTX which are already here. Posts like these give me determination to stick it out a few more days :p

Well, SM3DW looks and runs great upgraded from 1080p to 4K, excepting the heavy shader post-processing effects which still make the whole game look fuzzy and out of focus.

The difference between XCX at native 720p and 4K is astounding though. The quality of the image is almost like playing a different game.

Does anyone know what GPU Buffer Cache Accuracy does and what raising and lowering it will do?

Man, I hope the Cemu guys are ready when March 3rd comes along. No one wants to play Zelda in 720p/900p when 4K is ready and willing!

Dario ff

Banned
For anyone that wants nicer shadows in 3D World:
Code:
# Shadowmap
[TextureRedefine]
width = 1024
height = 1024
formatsExcluded = 0x008,0x41A,0x033,0x034,0x035,0x431,0x235,0x433 # exclude everything but shadowmap
overwriteWidth = 4096
overwriteHeight = 4096

Untitled.png

There's also a secondary screen buffer that gets used in some levels that is lower resolution horizontally (the start of 1-5). If you want to override it:
Code:
# Screen (Secondary)
[TextureRedefine]
width = 1000
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 3000
overwriteHeight = 2160

The two DOF buffers are these. However, the Bloom buffers use the same size and I cannot exclude them via pixel format since they share the same format. As a result, you'll break the bloom effect by using these (e.g. like Sonic Colors on Dolphin). You can see the broken bloom effect in the screenshot below around the question mark blocks. I don't think the DOF effect looks quite right just yet, but at least it's not glaringly low resolution.
Code:
# DOF/Bloom Buffer 1
[TextureRedefine]
width = 640
height = 360
overwriteWidth = 1920
overwriteHeight = 1080

# DOF/Bloom Buffer 2
[TextureRedefine]
width = 320
height = 180
overwriteWidth = 960
overwriteHeight = 540
Untitled.png

If anyone knows a way to only include specific textures somehow (not only by size & format), do let me know.

I've been trying to override the shadowmap resolution in MK8, and while I did find it succesfully (same as 3D World), it seems to crash if I try to increase the size. However, there's no problems in decreasing its size.

Vuze

How exactly did you pinpoint the shadows? Dump textures, find shadows, determine format and then hope all are 1024x1024?

Dario ff

Banned
How exactly did you pinpoint the shadows? Dump textures, find shadows, determine format and then hope all are 1024x1024?
Shadows are real-time and are rendered onto a 1024x1024 shadowmap on 3D World.

I also use the GX2 API log and find out the relevant texture sizes by checking all the viewport operations. Helps narrow down textures quite easily.

Vuze

Shadows are real-time and are rendered onto a 1024x1024 shadowmap on 3D World.

I also use the GX2 API log and find out the relevant texture sizes by checking all the viewport operations. Helps narrow down textures quite easily.
Ah thank you, that's valuable advice.

i7 3770, GTX 1060

On WW I'm getting frames around 12, however, when I open the input configuration, I get a full 30.

Any idea what's going on here?

Edit: I disabled my controller and am using the keyboard and it seems to run ok. However I'm still dropping to 15 in certain areas. From the looks of other's machines, I should be able to run this no problem, right?

mario_O

Code:
# Shadowmap
[TextureRedefine]
width = 1024
height = 1024
formatsExcluded = 0x008,0x41A,0x033,0x034,0x035,0x431,0x235,0x433 # exclude everything but shadowmap
overwriteWidth = 4096
overwriteHeight = 4096

Untitled.png

There's also a secondary screen buffer that gets used in some levels that is lower resolution horizontally (the start of 1-5). If you want to override it:
Code:
# Screen (Secondary)
[TextureRedefine]
width = 1000
height = 720
overwriteWidth = 3000
overwriteHeight = 2160

The two DOF buffers are these. However, the Bloom buffers use the same size and I cannot exclude them via pixel format since they share the same format. As a result, you'll break the bloom effect by using these (e.g. like Sonic Colors on Dolphin). You can see the broken bloom effect in the screenshot below around the question mark blocks. I don't think the DOF effect looks quite right just yet, but at least it's not glaringly low resolution.
Code:
# DOF/Bloom Buffer 1
[TextureRedefine]
width = 640
height = 360
overwriteWidth = 1920
overwriteHeight = 1080

# DOF/Bloom Buffer 2
[TextureRedefine]
width = 320
height = 180
overwriteWidth = 960
overwriteHeight = 540
Untitled.png

If anyone knows a way to only include specific textures somehow (not only by size & format), do let me know.

I've been trying to override the shadowmap resolution in MK8, and while I did find it succesfully (same as 3D World), it seems to crash if I try to increase the size. However, there's no problems in decreasing its size.

How does it work? do I just add this lines to the rules.txt file?

Are you guys getting a locked 60 in MK8? I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5GHz and a 1070. I can't play it without constant dips. It's much smoother if I'm just running a time trial.

jediyoshi

Isn't it possible to use the gyroscope in the DS4?

If you mean if you're able to map the DS4's gyro 1:1 to the gamepad gyro, nope. Read up back through the comment chain, Cemu's built in gyro functionality doesn't account for all axes possible. Imagine wanting to map to 2 joysticks when you only have 1 joystick available.

Great stuff. Would be interesting if someone found a way to disable the built in AA or make it apply to more objects, though I'm guessing this deals with the shader side of graphic packs.

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone know of any drivers or free tools that will let me me use all of the buttons on an Amazon Firestick controller? I can't get Win10 to recognize the triggers.

Wow, just tested Super Mario 3D World with it. It looks fantastic at 1080p and runs absolutely great once the shaders compile. If you're getting any kind of screen tearing, make sure you enable V-Sync.

nkarafo

Is there a way to make shader loading on start go away?

Every time i start a game, it re-compiles the already compiled shaders again and again. I need to wait 2 or 3 minutes before i play the same game, every time i close the emulator.

I understand having to wait the first time i load a game. But what's the point or re-compiling every time even though i haven't changed anything on my system? Previous versions would load instantly even if you had a fully compiled shader.

Anybody else notice text boxes are blank and missing any text in Mario Kart 8, for example after you finish a Circuit?

Is there a way to make shader loading on start go away?

Every time i start a game, it re-compiles the already compiled shaders again and again. I need to wait 2 or 3 minutes before i play the same game, every time i close the emulator.

I understand having to wait the first time i load a game. But what's the point or re-compiling every time even though i haven't changed anything on my system? Previous versions would load instantly even if you had a fully compiled shader.

It's checking your pre-compiled shader library to make sure it's valid. The first time is incredibly slow if you are using someone's transferred shaders because I think it's looking at the transferred shaders and compiling them all, after that it's very fast. I'm loading off an SSD though, I have no idea how it is on an HDD.

nkarafo

It's checking your pre-compiled shader library to make sure it's valid. The first time is incredibly slow if you are using someone's transferred shaders because I think it's looking at the transferred shaders and compiling them all, after that it's very fast. I'm loading off an SSD though, I have no idea how it is on an HDD.
The first time i get it. It has to check, compile, etc.

But why is it re-doing it again after that? I'm talking about after the first time. I didn't change anything on my system. And it still takes ages to re-compile.

Also, this is not a HDD issue. I transfered everything on a RAMDisk (which is much faster than SSDs) and i get the same behavior.

jediyoshi

The first time i get it. It has to check, compile, etc.

But why is it re-doing it again after that? I'm talking about after the first time. I didn't change anything on my system. And it still takes ages to re-compile.

Also, this is not a HDD issue. I transfered everything on a RAMDisk (which is much faster than SSDs) and i get the same behavior.

It checks every single time, the only way you could tell if it's actually compiling is its relative length. My SM3DW shader count is around 2500~, checking is about 5 seconds, if the precompiled cache is removed, it's around 4 minutes. Sounds like you're running into a bug.

nkarafo

It checks every single time, the only way you could tell if it's actually compiling is its relative length. My SM3DW shader count is around 2500~, checking is about 5 seconds, if the precompiled cache is removed, it's around 4 minutes. Sounds like you're running into a bug.
Definitely a bug.

There is something really weird going on with this system.

I have two monitors on my system. If i use the second one, it loads the shaders in 10 seconds. If i use the first one it loads them in 2 minutes.

Zelda BOTW is the only Wii-U game to have a mandatory install required it seems: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334767
Will it work with Cemu?

I hope so, my rig and physical pre-order are ready!!

btw, Bayonetta 2 have some weird sound issues (I already fixed the music volume one, but rarely some annoying high pitch noise sounds out of nowhere), is there anyway to solve it? Bayonetta also runs like at 120fps for me, how can I lock the frame rate?

Nothing to do with Cemu in particular. Depending on the games file/name structure and coding it might be super easy to swap, longer audio files than the OG language may be cut off etc. You'll have to wait for the release but safe to say it's not impossible and yes, modded games work with Cemu.
Excellent to hear, thank you!

//DEVIL//

am i missing something?

i tried The legend of Zelda yesterday and it was flickering and not playable.

i also tried xenoblade and it was working 3fps . a Power point presentation was faster than that. when i tried the Xenoblade pack ( i got an error about missing meta or something like that )

i am on i7 2k series with GTX 1080

Widge

Can you actually use the official gamepad with Cemu? It'd be wonderful to use the PC as a beefy WiiU essentially.

You can't use the actual Gamepad.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you can force FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel to help smooth out whatever jaggies might still remain at 4K. Also you can force Anisotropic Filtering to 16x which makes a dramatic effect in MK8.

Mikeside

I hope we start seeing some complete shaders available for download soon - would make Cemu 100% more friendly to load up and just play with

marmoka

Banned
It's amazing to see how fast you guys made this emulator perfect. Congratulations!

I have a friend playing his Wii U games now on his TV in Full HD using Steam Link. He says that the differences in Mario Kart 8 from 720p on his console to 1080p with Cemu are notable.

I have doubts about the gamepad. How is it emulated? Is it possible to play games that need the gamepad?

MUnited83

For you.
It's amazing to see how fast you guys made this emulator perfect. Congratulations!

I have a friend playing his Wii U games now on his TV in Full HD using Steam Link. He says that the differences in Mario Kart 8 from 720p on his console to 1080p with Cemu are notable.

I have doubts about the gamepad. How is it emulated? Is it possible to play games that need the gamepad?
You can switch between screens at will. Not only that, in games where the gamepad is just mirroring the main screen, you can just use your mouse on the main screen to use touchscreen functionality, no need to switch to the gamepad.

nkarafo

At this point i wonder if i'm the only person in the world having this bug

I have two monitors on my system. If i use the second one, it loads the already compiled shaders in 10 seconds. If i use the first screen it loads them in 2 minutes.

The first screen is the one i want to use though. I ended up loading each game on the second screen and then change screens on the fly because it's faster this way. But immensely annoying.

If you mean if you're able to map the DS4's gyro 1:1 to the gamepad gyro, nope. Read up back through the comment chain, Cemu's built in gyro functionality doesn't account for all axes possible. Imagine wanting to map to 2 joysticks when you only have 1 joystick available.

I see, thank you. And sorry for not reading through the complete discussion. I was being lazy.

If I understand that correctly, the issue is the gyro implementation in Cemu itself right now and not, that it couldn't be done down the line?

I appreciate their super hard work but they really should work on optimizations now. For instance I remember the differences between Dolphin 3.0 and 5.0 being dramatic - and I would expect some kind of performance progress on CEMU as well.

Vuze

At this point i wonder if i'm the only person in the world having this bug

The first screen is the one i want to use though. I ended up loading each game on the second screen and then change screens on the fly because it's faster this way. But immensely annoying.
I use three screens and it works fine on any of them (all driven by a single GTX 1080), so no idea tbh. Sounds strange.

E: I've coded a tiny tool that prints out all unique viewport resolutions in a Cemu log file. These get incredibly large within a few minutes so opening and looking through them is quite a pain manually.
So far it helped me to fix Captain Toads zoom in resolution, half res alpha and zoom transition resolution. Maybe someone finds it useful. Just supply the log file as argument.
compiled https://github.com/mhvuze/CemuViewportSkimmer/releases/download/1.0/CemuViewportSkimmer.exe
source code https://github.com/mhvuze/CemuViewportSkimmer

Guys how good would i5-4690k/750ti/16gb do for this emulator? I'm looking to upgrade to a 1070 later this year, but can my current specs do 1080p and decent frame-rates( for the games that are classified on the website as running well, I mean).

Jsheldon

Can someone shed some light on playing zelda WW with an Xbox one controller? My main issue is mapping to RT. I try and map zr button to it but it simply doesn't work and RT keeps prompting z rotation as a button instead of z axis +. Even loading a pre set of buttons will bring it in properly but actually pressing the right trigger does nothing which means I can't crouch.

I have the newest cemu release from yesterday and just did a driver update on the controller. One of the other issues is that pressing buttons on the Xbox controller will often bring up a littler control bar in the middle of my laptop screen that can be used for screen shots or accessing the Xbox app, which also interferes with game play.

Any ideas here????

PS how the heck do you bring up inventory and save screens. Hitting the equivalent of start or select say to look at the game pad.....

Anoxida

Is it possible to run WW @ 60 fps?

Damn this emulator is impressive. Any reason why we dont have a decent 360 emulator? I can understand ps3 because of its wierd architecture.

Top Bottom