• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cerny: Building PS4, designing Knack & placing apples Crash Bandicoot 2

Hearing Cerny talk about Crash Bandicoot all of a sudden made me remember that Verendus was hinting at a PS4 exclusive coming from Activision.

Just throwing that out there.

Hearing Cerny talk about Crash Bandicoot all of a sudden made me remember that Verendus was hinting at a PS4 exclusive coming from Activision.

Naughty Dog-developed Crash Bandicoot or bust. Activision are soulless hacks who couldn't make a good Crash game if their lives depended on it.

TheOGB

Banned
Every wumpa fruit? Well, you did a damn fine job, Cerny.

No.
Don't do this to me.
Come on man.

AmyS

Cerny inspires confidence not only with PS4, but going forward.

There's no doubt he has his idieas & goals for PS5 right now. Assuming PS5 launches in 2020, it'll probably be the last silicon-chip based PlayStation before the CPU & GPU indusrty has to switch to a different material. Intel has been saying this is the last decade for silicon chips.

Cerny inspires confidence not only with PS4, but going forward.

He's the best thing about this generation. Shit if he was the one announcing the Xbone I would be buying that instead.

He's honest, humble, interesting, passionate, trustworthy and committed. He set the tone for Sony and the tone is pitch perfect.

Microsofts team in contrast are incompetent, dishonest, disrespectful, deceitful and just completely tone deaf.

SykoTech

...they're called Wumpa fruits.

Cerny confirmed as a fraud. He probably calls those things in Sonic coins too.

Good read.

LH: You mention games like Uncharted and Resistance, and indeed you’ve been involved with PlayStation throughout your career. Which moments stand out as personal highlights?

MC: For me, there was this very fun time when we had Crash Bandicoot and Parappa The Rapper coming out at the same time, and while they weren’t official mascots, they were being used internationally to express the fun of PS1. That was a very special time. A lot of what I think about on the hardware side [when it comes to] the games is how to bring some of that feeling back to PlayStation – without moving away from the core titles that people love, such as Assassin’s Creed.

We really need to bring back that era. Im sick and tired of "adult games" that are really for kids. I miss the diversity of having games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and MGS alongside Crash and parappa alongside wipeout and jet moto.

He's honest, humble, interesting, passionate, trustworthy and committed. He set the tone for Sony and the tone is pitch perfect.
I agree. He sets a great tone and gives confidence to people who invest in the platform.

As for Knack - I really think this game was made just so Cerny could better wrap his mind around just what would work best for developers as they finalized the specs. It's not that the game won't be good, but neither do I think it will be great. While it's a call back to the days of Crash and Spyro, I don't get the sense that they've got cutting edge team on it. It's not even that it "checks a box" for a family friendly game, either, even though it does fill that role. I think it's just a chance for Cerny to better dig into the hardware and make absolutley sure it caters to developers' wants and needs as much as possible.

Why was x86 feasibility an issue? I mean, that's been running PC gaming for ages, but some first party dev said it was impossible? I don't understand

Coiote

Why was x86 feasibility an issue? I mean, that's been running PC gaming for ages, but some first party dev said it was impossible? I don't understand

I guess it was a issue of future proofing the console. If devs maxed the hardware too early, because they are already familiar with the architecture, and the graphics stayed the same during the entire generation, it would be hard to keep the longevity of platform due to hardware fatigue. Consumers would lose interest too fast, software sales would drop and the console would be dead too soon.

Cerny believes the additions done to the x86 architecture over time changed that, plus the customizations they made to the hardware to help future proof it. To what extent he is really right, only time will tell. I hope not too much, because I want this generation to be shorter than the ps360 one.

$h@d0w

Where are you located? Because it's definitely available on the US PSN

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...psp)/cid=UP9000-NPUI94154_00-0000000000000001

Hong Kong store:

BUV7p6WCEAAexif.jpg

It's funny how he looks a bit different between regions:

Wumpa fruit, Cerny, it's wumpa fruit.

Actually, they're basically Braeburn apples. Crash is a bandicoot, and they live in Australia. Braeburns are grown in New Zealand.

(I was a part of marketing for the Crash games in those days, and worked on some of their sites and online games)

Top Bottom