• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

orioto

Good Art™
I think it will not work very well most of the time due of wire attaching to the VR, you cannot turn your body round too much.

Of course, lol :p
http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug2/large.html

Yeah but what it lacks there is the soft to see it in a 3d sphere, but it exists it seems (see the link i added to my post).
Now do that in 3D (could be complicated to build a 3d circular cam..), stream that with the Oculus and you're in for a really special and futuristic trip.

link for new page

iceatcs

Yeah but what it lacks there is the soft to see it in a 3d sphere, but it exists it seems (see the link i added to my post).
Now do that in 3D (could be complicated to build a 3d circular cam..), stream that with the Oculus and you're in for a really special and futuristic trip.

link for new page

Well ur link video only seem panoramic only.
3D might the problem because you need double eyes view in every angle which it is almost impossible for a camera with one pivot.

You can buy there http://www.ptgrey.com/products/spherical.asp

orioto

Good Art™
Well ur link video only seem panoramic only.
3D might the problem because you need double eyes view in every angle which it is almost impossible for a camera with one pivot.

You can buy there http://www.ptgrey.com/products/spherical.asp

Hmm must be a way..
Can you imagine .. it's almost technically doable to stream a live 360° video of an event, mapped on an oculus 3d sphere... That, with sport tv... would revolutionize tv forever.

iceatcs

Hmm must be a way..
Can you imagine .. it's almost technically doable to stream a live 360° video of an event, mapped on an oculus 3d sphere... That, with sport tv... would revolutionize tv forever.

Yeah it would be great. Like you are there.

360° 3D video camera would be nice step if possible. Sony, get your R&D work.

[edit] Pop up in my mind, I think 360° scanning infrared projector and video camera combo could make 3D 360° video.

This is damping my excitement for the next gen consoles... unless one or both of them adopt the rift in some form.

This is how I feel. The first guy to try it in the OP's video says something to the effect that he doesn't even care about the next Xbox or PlayStation anymore.

plainr_

I'm sold on VR for a while now but I don't really want to use a controller. A Move like controller would be more ideal. Something like this would promote on rails games however. I don't how we'll be able to move in a 3d space without a controller. Walking/running in place as seen in Kinect games is not a solution.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah it would be great. Like you are there.

360° 3D video camera would be nice step if possible. Sony, get your R&D work.

well.. Not 3D bu already pretty crazy, tiny, simple, and 79$.. for iphone ? lol.. You can even directly scroll the video on your phone.. They say it's not even stitched, it's a full 360° vid..

Come on honestly, the shit we do today.. that's crazy the days we live right now. All those tech combining will bring us the matrix in one year from now.

The Hermit

I imagine that people will get addicted to this, become acclimated to the world controls, then become incredibly depressed when they can't press forward to travel in reality.

Rates of videogame death in increase exponentially. Just release an Endless Ocean type of game centered around James Cameron's Pandroa.

KuGsj.gif

I died a bit, jesus fucking christ, that would be insane. O.O

iceatcs

well.. Not 3D bu already pretty crazy, tiny, simple, and 79$.. for iphone ? lol.. You can even directly scroll the video on your phone..

Come on honestly, the shit we do today.. that's crazy the days we live right now. All those tech combining will bring us the matrix in one year from now.

Yeah pretty cool that we can play experiment in our hands in low cost.

Even PC mod Kinect should can mapping your body animation and upload to Oculus to see your own 3D body.

I still feel they should have a loose cursor that moves independently from your vision. Your head controls where to look and your mouse or analog stick your crosshairs. Giving it a more lifelike feel. Maybe have iron sights lock your head movement and allow you to aim strictly with your input device.

Here's how I figured it: You've basically got three modes of movement, "whole body," "aiming," and "viewpoint": WASD/keyboard controls your "whole body" movement, forward/back/strafing/jump/crouch. Your PoV would shift concurrently with these movements. The mouse would handle your "aiming" movement, i.e. the position of your crosshair, the front point of which would always be the center of your view when facing forward. Additionally, the yaw (compass rotation) of "aiming" movement would control the yaw of "whole body" movement, such that your weapon and the front of your body are always pointing in the same direction. Last is your "viewpoint" movement, controlled by Rift head tracking which rotates your FOV relative to your front "aiming" point (and thus front "whole body" movement axis). Your crosshair stays fixed independent of your head/"viewpoint" movement, but since yaw rotations with the mouse change your front "aiming" point and your "viewpoint" position is determined relative to it, yaw rotations of the mouse also change your "viewpoint" rotation by the same magnitude.

Basically, you've got your normal FPS controls, but your FoV is decoupled from your crosshair and crosshair position determines forward movement.

jlO6V.png

Ideally you'd have an additional motion tracking mechanism for detecting "whole body" rotation relative to "viewpoint" and "aiming" rotation, but there is none in the normal Rift configuration, and body rotation controlled by an on/off digital key press at a fixed speed is usually rather cumbersome (see doom era aiming controls pre-mouse. Plus, even having an additional rotational tracker at the level of "whole body" movement presents issue with keeping track of "aiming" rotation without any kind of proprioception due to the way mice work.

Also, how awesome would this be for a 360 degree desktop? Cylindrical view would give you 5-6x the workspace.

Afrikan

ok someone help me out here.

someone who has tried it, or has a good idea about the experience it is suppose to give..

tell me what is the difference going to be between the Rift and the Sony HMZ with the 2 Moves sets for their Datura game? (basically making it 1:1 head tracking).

I'm sure Sony is going to release a gaming version of the HMZ that might be more affordable and more mobile.

but for just the HMZ experience compared to the Rift....is the main difference/advantage going to be FOV? At least that is what I'm getting so far.

I'm not asking OMG WHICH IS BETTER!!!11!! but more so, I'm wondering what I'm missing out on right now by not trying out the Rift. I see everyone excited and I want to be excited too.

someone who has tried it, or has a good idea about the experience it is suppose to give..

tell me what is the difference going to be between the Rift and the Sony HMZ with the 2 Moves sets for their Datura game? (basically making it 1:1 head tracking).

I'm sure Sony is going to release a gaming version of the HMZ that might be more affordable and more mobile.

but for just the HMZ experience compared to the Rift....is the main difference/advantage going to be FOV? At least that is what I'm getting so far.

I'm not asking OMG WHICH IS BETTER!!!11!! but more so, I'm wondering what I'm missing out on right now by not trying out the Rift. I see everyone excited and I want to be excited too.

Advantages are FoV, spatial resolution, display and motion detection latency, and overall stability. That sony solution is a bit of a hackjob and won't have near the fidelity that the Rift will have.

Mr.Green

The last thing I wanna use with the Rift is a mouse and keyboard. I wanna be able to rotate, standing up or on my chair. I also wanna be able to move my hands freely, to aim a gun, swing a sword, use a keypad, etc... But that would require a wireless Hydra and we're not there yet. Not that we know of anyway.

For now, I'd use the xbox controller like this:

Left analog Y axis: forward/backward.

Left analog X axis: turn left/right. Much like in real life, your head would naturally turn with your body. No strafe. Who the hell strafes in real life anyway? You turn your body in the direction you wanna "strafe" and run forward while keeping your eyes on the target by turning your head.

Right analog: free aim.

Mr.Green

You might wanna check this out:

http://business.financialpost.com/2...-visor-could-be-the-next-big-thing-in-gaming/

Afrikan

Advantages are FoV, spatial resolution, display and motion detection latency, and overall stability. That sony solution is a bit of a hackjob and won't have near the fidelity that the Rift will have.

I'm really curious about the FOV and the approach they took. The other stuff with display (resolution I'm guessing?) and Lag... I don't experience lag with the Datura set up.

but if the FOV is going to be amazingly different...meaning, it won't look like you're in a theater like the HMZ does....then yes will be excited to purchase it.

will the edge of the display be noticeable? or will FOV make it almost seem like even your peripheral vision will show the environment.

I think one of the more interesting things I've heard in interviews about the Rift is that they can't really incorporate existing motion control stuff like Kinect because the latency of that tracking is so much worse than the Rift's that it breaks immersion. If they do add other functionality to it I'm guessing they'd need to develop specialized hardware.

Afrikan

again, I don't think most people who have used the HMZ have used it to its potential.... I mean some on youtube have it set up like crazy with their PCs for Skyrim/COD/etc.

I just want to know the type of experience I'm missing out on right now...so far with the Datura set up with the motion tracking, it feels like you are in a holodeck...I'm sure the Rift is even more so, but I'm just curious how much more so...enough for me to try to get it, or wait alittle bit for some more competition.

Reallink

Biggest difference is the FOV of the Rift allows content to approximate real life scale. Most people claim you feel like you're a 6' tall character looking up at a 200' Castle or a 10' monster. This is the key to the illusion of placing you inside a game. The HMZ creates an illusion of watching a TV suspended in space several feet in front of you. Even with content specifically designed for it, it's impossible for it to achieve the same effect. You can push the negative parallax until you're literally cross-eyed, it never goes beyond watching a really good 3D TV/Cinema. Sony would have to ditch the all-purpose-plays-everything angle of the HMZ and limit it strictly to Playstation. They would also have to straight up copy all the core design ideas of the Rift, cause traditional optics that could match such a FOV are prohibitively expensive.

One of the advantages Oculus has at this point is their software, not just hardware. We know Sony, Samsung et al could make these, hell, they probably already have research teams working overtime - but if Oculus have the developer and engine support then it's their game to lose.

railGUN

Banned
It just dawned on me, the Rift + my Logitech G27 wheel is going to be so fucking amazing. I cannot wait to get one.

This will be total mindfuck for the head. I just can't get over it.
I can tell that someone playing Mirror's Edge will fall forward while doing rolls.

ed: Imagine Alien game, where the Aliens have you prepared for facehugger facehug...or crush your skull with inside mouth.

Combine that with binaural audio! The possibilities!

Really hope they get that depth working for the consumer version. Being able to lean forward and backward would be amazing if done right.

Seeing the reactions for this thing online is making me extremely sad that we likely won't see it before Christmas, if this year at all.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing if it can bring my Hydra back from the dead, as I have quite a few ways I could do it well, assuming all works as I hope.

BF3 with an Oculus is an amazingly drool inflicting proposition. That with non-sucky Hydra support that won't handicap me is an absolute dream of an idea.

This will be total mindfuck for the head. I just can't get over it.
I can tell that someone playing Mirror's Edge will fall forward while doing rolls.

ed: Imagine Alien game, where the Aliens have you prepared for facehugger facehug...or crush your skull with inside mouth.

Imagine an alien game where somebody comes up behind you and grabs you whilst playing.

You will need a room with a lock on the door for this sucker.

Kevin

As awesome as this tech is, sadly I believe Microsoft and Sony are two lame to support it which is quite a shame. :/

PewPewK

Not "almost". You won't notice the edge of the screen at all.

From impressions I've read, it IS possible to notice the edges of the screen, but you have to look as far into your periphery as you possibly can, and even then it's a small strip. Essentially completely unnoticeable unless you go looking for it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
From impressions I've read, it IS possible to notice the edges of the screen, but you have to look as far into your periphery as you possibly can, and even then it's a small strip. Essentially completely unnoticeable unless you go looking for it.

Only for some people, as these demos are using general settings that are not calibrated for the individual, usually people with glasses are the ones that could glimpse the edge.

Regardless, New screens will be bigger.

Reallink

Only for some people, as these demos are using general settings that are not calibrated for the individual, usually people with glasses are the ones that could glimpse the edge.

Regardless, New screens will be bigger.

Have they commented on what the 7" upgrade will afford in FOV? I know Palmer said at one point a larger screen would increase it, but as of CES, he's still citing the old 90x110 figure. They also didn't mention any improvement when they were trying to explain away and minimize the delay by talking about all the advantages of the 7" display.

msv

Well it's an HMD with warped optics, so while it may work as an HMD, the image will be distorted in one way or another, even with a filter in place to reverse the lens fisheye effect. Also, such a large FOV would not work too well without head tracking, since you wouldn't be able to comfortable see the corners of the image. In the end, you have a product that is really designed with VR in mind, not movie watching.
How is movie watching not a subset of VR? If you also adjust the screen itself to adapt for the fisheye lens, you wouldn't need correction either. Moreover, the virtual screen doesn't have to fill your FOV, so if you keep it small enough so that it can reside in the mostly unwarped area, there shouldn't be any issue with the small difference in pixel sizes.

PewPewK

Have they commented on what the 7" upgrade will afford in FOV? I know Palmer said at one point a larger screen would increase it, but as of CES, he's still citing the old 90x110 figure. They also didn't mention any improvement when they were trying to explain away and minimize the delay by talking about all the advantages of the 7" display.

I believe they didn't offer a specific number, but they said it was so minimal to be almost unnoticeable.

red731

I'm legit considering buying a gaming PC to experience this... So cool.

I am 1000% decided that when I will build new PC, it will be the one for this!
But I will wait for the specs of the consumer product and the changes(for better) they will made.

Having 60fps with vsync on to not be taken out of the virtual reality(chills) will cost something.
I will gladly lay the money down.

I wonder if people could develop vertigo from this if playing Mirror's Edge.
I'm wondering if this might help people overcome that kind of thing.

I'm also curious if this might work for games like Dark Souls - would it feel like you were looking down at an action figure in a giant playset? And given that the controls are relative to the camera, would that overly complicate movement?

..and arachnophobia and the other thousand of phobias I don't know. (I saw full list, people have phobias of everything)

vertigo isn't a phobia, its "a subtype of dizziness in which a patient inappropriately experiences the perception of motion (usually a spinning motion) due to dysfunction of the vestibular system."

vestibular system if your inner ear which: "contributes to balance in most mammals and to the sense of spatial orientation, is the sensory system that provides the leading contribution about movement and sense of balance."

oculus is a trigger for vertigo confirmed

NZNova

This thing, combined with an omnidirectional treadmill, combined with a next-gen version of something like Kinect, combined with Skyrim or the next Elder Scrolls = holy moly.

Top Bottom