• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

red731

vertigo isn't a phobia, its "a subtype of dizziness in which a patient inappropriately experiences the perception of motion (usually a spinning motion) due to dysfunction of the vestibular system."

image.php

I stand corrected.

edit: Just a thought - I never played and propably will never play Neverdead, but you can get dismembered there to pieces and then roll over body parts to get together.
Imagine the head camera.

demolitio

I'd probably shit myself if they had an ocean setting for a game with this thing on. I'd cry if a shark just swam by probably...well, or try to run and knock myself out on a wall I didn't see since I thought I was in the fucking ocean with nothing but wide open seas. :p

Damn I need money.

Feature

Banned
They should just have a level where he has to jump from platform to platform over a pit full of spikes / lava. I want to see what the guy wearing the oculus will do :p

EVIL

I don't have a gaming PC, so what type of rig would I need to build to do an Oculus Rift justice? And how much would it cost?
One that runs games at a minimal 1080p @ 60fps with vsync on. So à high end PC if you want to play recent games.

I'd probably shit myself if they had an ocean setting for a game with this thing on. I'd cry if a shark just swam by probably...well, or try to run and knock myself out on a wall I didn't see since I thought I was in the fucking ocean with nothing but wide open seas. :p

Damn I need money.

GAF: Imma play Crysis 1 with Oculus and... oshi

ibzVk7FLvmNGSE.gif

iby2uvKPqUzXns.gif

GAF: DAY 1

Have there been any lukewarm or negative reactions from people who've demoed this? I'm not trying to deflate the hype, but I'm curious what range of experiences people have had.

I think, you'll get the real experience, when you will get to play games which were handtailored exactly for the RIFT.

Not so keen on playing older games somehow made working for this device..

Anyway, after 20 years of waiting for some viable VR tech, this seems almost in reach..

Nice... :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So... horsepower wise this stereo 60FPS is near 60FPS levels of impact, or does that equate to 120FPS of power needed?

ekim

Just watched the video the first time. This thing must trick your brain very hard.
I'm curious if a long playsessions makes one crazy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here's how I figured it: You've basically got three modes of movement, "whole body," "aiming," and "viewpoint": WASD/keyboard controls your "whole body" movement, forward/back/strafing/jump/crouch. Your PoV would shift concurrently with these movements. The mouse would handle your "aiming" movement, i.e. the position of your crosshair, the front point of which would always be the center of your view when facing forward. Additionally, the yaw (compass rotation) of "aiming" movement would control the yaw of "whole body" movement, such that your weapon and the front of your body are always pointing in the same direction. Last is your "viewpoint" movement, controlled by Rift head tracking which rotates your FOV relative to your front "aiming" point (and thus front "whole body" movement axis). Your crosshair stays fixed independent of your head/"viewpoint" movement, but since yaw rotations with the mouse change your front "aiming" point and your "viewpoint" position is determined relative to it, yaw rotations of the mouse also change your "viewpoint" rotation by the same magnitude.

Basically, you've got your normal FPS controls, but your FoV is decoupled from your crosshair and crosshair position determines forward movement.

jlO6V.png

Ideally you'd have an additional motion tracking mechanism for detecting "whole body" rotation relative to "viewpoint" and "aiming" rotation, but there is none in the normal Rift configuration, and body rotation controlled by an on/off digital key press at a fixed speed is usually rather cumbersome (see doom era aiming controls pre-mouse. Plus, even having an additional rotational tracker at the level of "whole body" movement presents issue with keeping track of "aiming" rotation without any kind of proprioception due to the way mice work.

Also, how awesome would this be for a 360 degree desktop? Cylindrical view would give you 5-6x the workspace.

But you can't aim without using your eyes. You can point a gun in a direction away from your eyes, but you won't know where it will hit. Having a cursor for that separate from your eyes gives you an unrealistic action IMO.

Iron sights should definitely lock to the eye/head movement, so eg left shoulder button raises the gun to aim and aim is done with the head, right shoulder button firing. Or even better use something like a Move Sharpshooter and physically bring it up to your shoulder (just the motion is needed to engage iron sights, aiming would still be with the head)

I'm not sure why normal shooting from the hip wouldn't also be based on head aiming too, but if valve found it difficult then there must be something (unless its more a FoV/movement thing)

Biggest problem for me is that in reality you have three movements that are somewhat decoupled from each other - eyes, head,body. You can hold your view on an object while moving your head or head and body , to a limited degree. You can hold your head position towards an object while you move your body - again, to a united degree. But eventually your body movement will force your head to follow, and likewise with eyes. How do you simulate that in a game?

Nosgoroth

Yea, thanks for making me it imagine it even more...lol. Hell, even the shark from Banjo Kazooie would be scary in VR.

Someone mod first person view and stereo to SM64 and go to Dire Dire Docks.

I don't know if this would work well (FPS? low poly?) but it must be worth trying.

...Hell, someone mod Galaxy and jump off a planetoid.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, have I mentioned that I want this holy shit I want this.

iceatcs

But you can't aim without using your eyes. You can point a gun in a direction away from your eyes, but you won't know where it will hit. Having a cursor for that separate from your eyes gives you an unrealistic action IMO.

Iron sights should definitely lock to the eye/head movement, so eg left shoulder button raises the gun to aim and aim is done with the head, right shoulder button firing. Or even better use something like a Move Sharpshooter and physically bring it up to your shoulder (just the motion is needed to engage iron sights, aiming would still be with the head)

I'm not sure why normal shooting from the hip wouldn't also be based on head aiming too, but if valve found it difficult then there must be something (unless its more a FoV/movement thing)

Biggest problem for me is that in reality you have three movements that are somewhat decoupled from each other - eyes, head,body. You can hold your view on an object while moving your head or head and body , to a limited degree. You can hold your head position towards an object while you move your body - again, to a united degree. But eventually your body movement will force your head to follow, and likewise with eyes. How do you simulate that in a game?
Don't forgot the wire too you cannot move or turn too much. So it look like you have to assign control for rotate the world because you can't keep turn your body around too much.
We will need a 360 chair to play with that. You will need to rotate your body almost every 10 seconds.
I think you can't do too much because of wire.

i used it at CES in the verge trailer and it really is fantastic. tried similar things before but this was the most comfortable and responsive, and the image quality is pretty good. the field of vision is the real advance — it's insanely immersive. when i took it off i immediately wanted to put it back on. it's intoxicating.

controls will take some getting used to, though. since it feels pretty much 1:1 with your head, you'll want to turn 180 degrees to do the same in game, which is a problem from a seated position. i think it works best with standard FPS controls and using your head to fine-tune looking and aiming (sort of like uncharted's use of gyro on vita).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't forgot the wire too you cannot move or turn too much. So it look like you have to assign control for rotate the world because you can't keep turn your body around too much.

I think you can't do too much because of wire.

true. plus the actual times your body is moving with your head would still be tracked.

Maybe its just not ideally suited to games like TF2 where you're pinging around like a crazy person all the time. HL2 might have been a better choice to play with

I'm massively sold on it already. The list of supported games is also incredible - it's like they picked the best representatives for it in gaming. I just want to hear the final price though, since i'll happily pick this up over either next-gen console if it's affordable.

troushers

It needs some gloves or something which will allow it to render your hands in game properly.

The reception to the first consumer version of this device will be very, very interesting.

Amagon

Gotta be honest, can't see myself playing fantasy games with spiders or underwater sections. That shit just freaks me out regardless of the Rift.

Barryman

So... horsepower wise this stereo 60FPS is near 60FPS levels of impact, or does that equate to 120FPS of power needed?

From what I've gathered, the Oculus Rift simply needs images to be rendered at 60 FPS with V-Sync and at 1280×800 (for the dev kit version, possibly higher in the consumer version).

The catch is that the game will need to run through its rendering pipeline twice to render out both camera views. So in that sense you could think of it as 120 FPS to an extent, except that each view is half of the total resolution. So rendering pipelines that are dependent on fill rate will be able to run much faster for each view, given the lower resolution.

Contrast this to active 3D with shutter glasses, where you need to render two views at full resolution, which makes the actual output need to be 120 FPS.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, a deferred rendering pipeline would probably be able to shade both views simultaneously, so the only part of the pipeline that would need to be run twice is rendering the G Buffer. So basically it requires to slightly more intensive 60 FPS, not really 120 FPS of power.

Barryman

Yeah after watching the video in the OP I just bought a dev kit. So excited to start making environments to play around in with this thing....

Been years since I've been this giddily excited for something. It feels dangerous, like how can it live up? I don't know if I'll be able to resist getting the prototype

syko de4d

the only thing that can stop VR right now is a time traveller from the future who kills Palmer because he is the reason that all humans become like the guys in Wall-E or because a super KI hacked Oculus Rift and all People are now in the Matrix.

*a joke, i don´t believe in time travel :)

NZNova

This thing is going to change the whole landscape of gaming, I'm excited!!

Yeah. Like they say in the video - this right here is more exciting than any of the next gen consoles or any of that other bullshit. THIS is going to change gaming. It's here, it's affordable, and it's going to be fucking incredible.

red731

I never cared much for supermonster games, but I would really like to destroy cities as Godzilla or something that tall now.

Your view would be so high and everything else so small.
*in head convo - don't even think about buying that dev kit! you said millinon times to wait for consume...bbb-but

So what makes the Oculus Rift different from VR headsets before it? I'm not understanding why the internet mass has picked this device for mass hype while every unit before it has pretty much failed.

I remember having a PC Gamer magazine back in 1996 that had a cover story on VR headsets and how they were the wave of the future. We see how that turned out.

red731

Did you watch the videos and interview or is your vission blurred?
The answer you are looking for was answered many times in this and other threads.

Top Bottom