• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CETA in effect today as Canada-EU trade pact comes into force

Mr.Mike

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ceta-europe-free-trade-1.4300071

As of Thursday, over 98 per cent of Canadian goods will be able to enter the EU without tariffs, compared with only 25 per cent a day earlier,

The deal not only clears the way for goods, which Canada exported $42 billion worth of last year, but also codifies access to services, which Canadian companies sold an additional $18 billion worth in 2016, said Evans.

The deal will also mean Canadian companies can bid for work at all levels of the EU government procurement market, which the federal government says is worth an estimated $3.3 trillion annually.

The agreement is a two-way street though, with EU companies also gaining access and creating more competition in the Canadian market.

Overall, the trade agreement could increase bilateral trade by 20 per cent annually and boost Canada's income by $12 billion annually, according to a joint Canada-EU study.

The study suggested the economic benefit of the agreement would be equivalent to creating almost 80,000 new jobs or increasing the average Canadian household's annual income by $1,000.

https://twitter.com/Trade_EU/status/910799525853450243

https://twitter.com/CanadaTrade/status/910677959815688192

RenditMan

Banned
As a Canadian, the idea sounds nice on paper, yet I am curious to see how the reality plays out...

Watch in awe as EU powerhouse companies steam into your market competing with a currency thats value is held artificially down by countries not so much a powerhouse but a lead weight on its value.

Not the entirety of the CETA agreement has been ratified, as far as I know. I believe the court for investors is still to be looked into.

Canada soon will be part of the EU.
Then it will be Britain in the middle. Alone

It has been proposed before. I would not be opposed to it, would make it easier for me to move there. :p

TripleBee

Canadian game prices are only slightly more expensive then the US - considering the exchange rate.

I wonder if games are covered on this - I feel like they aren't under NAFTA.

Also +1 vote for Canada joining EU.

TripleBee

hope EU's phone carriers come in to bring the cell phone service cost down.
My understanding though is that the reason WhatsApp took off big in Europe is that they are nickle and dimed on stuff like unlimited text/international text on all their plans.

Be interesting to see.

Xando

My understanding though is that the reason WhatsApp took off big in Europe is that they are nickle and dimed on stuff like unlimited text/international text on all their plans.

Be interesting to see.
Not sure how prices are in Canada but i pay 22€ for unlimited text/phone calls and 15GB data volume within EU countries.

Nivash

Be interesting to see.

Overcharging on international roaming got fixed recently:

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.the...-roaming-charges-banned-europe-15-june-brexit

Now it costs the same as in whatever your home country is (to a degree - my unlimited (remembered it has a 40 GB cap, just feels unlimited) Swedish data plan got capped to 20 GB a month in France, but with no added costs.

TripleBee

Not sure how prices are in Canada but i pay 22€ for unlimited text/phone calls and 15GB data volume within EU countries.
I pay $75 (~50€) for 5GB data, and unlimited text/phone calls

So nvm. I welcome our European phone company overlords.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is this why the cheese store near me is slashing prices?

Nivash

I pay $75 (~50€) for 5GB data, and unlimited text/phone calls

So nvm. I welcome our European phone company overlords.

Ha, I pay $65 for unlimited calls/texts and 4G data with a 40 GB cap that carries over into my next month's cap.

Canapoor.

krae_man

So EU citizens can now import cheap video games from Canada?

Something tells me the shipping + customs you will have to pay will negate any cheaper prices we have(if there are any).

hope EU's phone carriers come in to bring the cell phone service cost down.

Telecoms probably still have Canadian ownership rules although those were relaxed several times when Robelus tried to claim Wind broke those rules. They also can't relly do much if you don't own any bandwidth or the CRTC doesn't mandate dirt cheap wholesale rates for MVNO's.

Mr.Mike

Telecoms probably still have Canadian ownership rules although those were relaxed several times when Robelus tried to claim Wind broke those rules. They also can't relly do much if you don't own any bandwidth or the CRTC doesn't mandate dirt cheap wholesale rates for MVNO's.

I remember there was a rumour or something that Verizon was thinking of expanding into Canada and the CPC wanted to change the laws to allow that (triggering a huge ad campaign from the telcos against the move). Verizon never came but I don't know if they ever changed the law anyway.

TripleBee

Damn this seems high. Is the phone included in this price?

I pay an additional 39€ for my iPhone 8+.

It's off contract - so no phone, no contract.
Though the text and calls are international, and it includes sending images and video.

krae_man

I remember there was a rumour or something that Verizon was thinking of expanding into Canada and the CPC wanted to change the laws to allow that (triggering a huge ad campaign from the telcos against the move). Verizon never came but I don't know if they ever changed the law anyway.

As far as I understand it the laws they way they currently are allow foreign ownership if the company they buy has less then 10% market share(I believe they were planning on buying Wind). They can grow naturally past 10% market share but can't buy/merge their way above 10%.

Or course Rogers/Bell/Telus will fight this tooth and nail, and will likely lose but so far the threat has been enough to ward off any potential entrants.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You guys should totally take the UK's spot in the EU, I'm sure most Europeans would warmly welcome you! Except the French part, you can leave that at home.

Nah. :)

avaya

No European carrier will start in Canada, it's a 3 player market where Rogers, Bell and the other one who I forget just rip off the population. It's a catastrophic failure of the Canadian government and regulator. If the regulator makes space for a new player.....most likely you would get a T-Mobile entry from across the border or one or two French operators would look into it.

The EU only has decent value phone service because the regulation of the telecoms market is amongst the best in the world.

Top Bottom