• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Saw this on Facebook.

9nuva.jpg

THE IRONY.

They're finally opening a Chick-Fil-A in my town. Mmmmm can't wait to taste me some of that bigotry-glazed chicken.

No really, their food is stellar. The lemonade...omg the lemonade....

JeTmAn81

I feel conflicted by this whole issue. Chick-fil-a's stance on gay marriage doesn't make me want to oppose them, and the unhealthy nature of their food doesn't make me want to support them. What to do, GAF?

Wilsongt

I like a good ironing as much as the next fellow but I can't see it.

This issue isn't about free speech. Chick-Fil-A is free to say whatever they want about how they are against gay-marriage and all of that. They are allowed to do that.

The backlash is coming because they are giant bigots who, instead of keeping their mouth shut(despite being free to say what they want to say), decided to shout it out to the news that they are against progress into the 21st century.

Edit: Also because they donate their profits to anti-gay organizations.

The backlash is coming because they are giant bigots who, instead of keeping their mouth shut, decided to shout it out to the news that they are against progress into the 21st century.

Is that really what happened? Seemed more like they were being confronted/attacked by press/activist and explained themselves. People just didn't like what they had to say. It's not like they were advertising anti-gay propaganda.

Dead Man

Is that really what happened? Seemed more like they were being confronted/attacked by press/activist and explained themselves. People just didn't like what they had to say. It's not like they were advertising anti-gay propaganda.

They are paying for anti gay propaganda.

Wallach

I feel conflicted by this whole issue. Chick-fil-a's stance on gay marriage doesn't make me want to oppose them, and the unhealthy nature of their food doesn't make me want to support them. What to do, GAF?

I am sure some anti-gay organization would gladly take any money you might feel tempted to use at Chick-fil-A as a direct donation. That way you can feel certain that everyone loses.

SyNapSe

This issue isn't about free speech.
Edit: Also because they donate their profits to anti-gay organizations.

I get the larger issue I don't understand how the pic that poster inserted is ironic. It would only be ironic if they were limiting someone elses free speech right?

Wilsongt

They were asked specifically by a Christian news organization about their stance. Then it got out into other news sources and kept growing. It wasn't like CNN or something confronted them about it first hand... At least I don't think.

Cyan

Banned
Why don't people boycott McDonalds, which cuts down rainforests to make grazing land? That would be very easy to do.

Pretty sure that's an urban legend.

But for the sake of argument, let's say McDonalds buys a whole lot of beef from South American clearcutters.

a) it's indirect
b) it's at worst negligent rather than malicious
c) it's not an obvious Schelling point as Chick-fil-a is right now

And that's leaving aside d) it's not at all obvious that simply switching to a different fast food restaurant would in any way resolve this issue. That is, if South American beef is a business advantage, I would expect other fast food restaurants to also use it as well.

So, here's a question for you: why even bring up the "why not boycott x" question? I can think of two reasons: convince people to boycott x, or convince people not to boycott CFA. The first seems unlikely as I've never noticed you being all rah rah rainforests. The second seems unlikely as I recall you saying earlier you planned to boycott CFA yourself. So what's the point of this tangent?

Wilsongt

I get the larger issue I don't understand how the pic that poster inserted is ironic. It would only be ironic if they were limiting someone elses free speech right?

I am assuming someone is feeling that Chick-Fil-A's freedom is speech is being trampled on, when it isn't.

Cyan

Banned

The Baptist Press and Biblical Recorder are pro-gay activist press? Really?

Really?

Seems more like you have no idea what you're talking about and are knee-jerk defending CFA because you like what they have to say.

Dead Man

So where is your conflict? You don't want to oppose them, and you don't want to support them? So don't eat there but shut up about it? Unless you do want to support them but you don't like their food. Then you would have a conflict.

Saw this on Facebook.

9nuva.jpg

THE IRONY.

For clarity, if you go to that URL, it redirects to this:

http://www.facebook.com/events/266281243473841/

It appears to be an event page created by Mike Huckabee.

I have been incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick Fil-A
company because the CEO, Dan Cathy, made comments recently in which he affirmed his view that the Biblical view of marriage should be upheld. The Cathy family, led by Chick Fil-A founder Truett Cathy, are a wonderful Christian family who are committed to operating the company with Biblical principles and whose story is the true American success story.

All this anger... lol.. "Assaults." So they've been threatened with violence? Pretty sure they are just getting their product boycotted.

It's as American as Apple pie, genius.

Dead Man

For clarity, if you go to that URL, it redirects to this:

http://www.facebook.com/events/266281243473841/

It appears to be an event page created by Mike Huckabee.

All this anger... lol.. "Assaults." So they've been threatened with violence? Pretty sure they are just getting their product boycotted.

It's as American as Apple buy, genius.

The funnier thing is that he doesn't want people to vocally support the restaurant, he just wants people to eat there. So make sure you give them money.

Wilsongt

I had a friend of mine go psycho a couple of days ago after I brought up the Muppet story on Facebook. Her husband and her friend's husband got into on Facebook, then she deleted her Facebook profile. She remade her profile and immediately posted this on Chick-Fil-A's page.

Freedom of speech for all!!! Including Chick Fil A!!! What is wrong with all of you leftist bigots, you seem to think free speech is only when people agree with you!!!

Wow.

The Baptist Press and Biblical Recorder are pro-gay activist press? Really?

Really?

Seems more like you have no idea what you're talking about and are knee-jerk defending CFA because you like what they have to say.

lol wut? you aren't even making sense. It also doesn't make you look good to when you make silly baseless assumptions.

KtSlime

Isn't this exactly what they are doing when they give money to organizations actively campaigning against the rights of homosexuals?

Isn't this exactly what they are doing when they give money to organizations actively campaigning against the rights of homosexuals?

Well tbh i don't really know the whole story nor did i claim i did. I would have to know the details on what organization they actually donated to. There is a difference between hate organizations and ones that have controversial values.

Sounds like maybe you made a few baseless assumptions here.

Perhaps even, silly ones.

Perhaps. I began my post with a question and clearly stated it "seemed." No need to attack me and throw me on their side like one poster did. That's beyond silly, it's offensive as he knew nothing about my background. I apologize though. Next time i will study up before i post.

wow, well that is pretty disgusting

Cyan

Banned
Perhaps. I began my post with a question and clearly stated it "seemed." No need to attack me and throw me on their side like one poster did. That's beyond silly, it's offensive as he knew nothing about my background.

It was a fairly mild parodizing of your own post. But be offended if you wish.

CHEEZMO™;40355000 said:
Says something is not fully educated on

---
Gets labeled a bigot and anti-gay supporter.
Gets indignant but apologizes and clarifies.
Gets condescending remark instead of apology and jesting continues.

fix'd

I thought it was common knowledge that the owners of Chic-fil-a are bigots...

When I visited the US two years ago and my American uncle asked me if I wanted to go to "typical US fastfood chains", I explicitly said I didn't want to go to Chick-fil-a because of their anti-gay stance. Even I knew about them as a Belgian.

We went to Taco Bell instead. My stomach hated my morals that day.

When I visited the US two years ago and my American uncle asked me if I wanted to go to "typical US fastfood chains", I explicitly said I didn't want to go to Chick-fil-a because of their anti-gay stance. Even I knew about them as a Belgian.

Shoulda gone to Wendy's, bro.

P.S. Chick-fil-a sucks. I had it once and it was terrible.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

I don't know, if it came down between destroying the lining of my stomach and supporting bigots, it'd be a hard choice. You're a stronger man than me.

GhaleonEB

lol.

Even if there is no difference, the comparison is foolish. People are allowed to modify their views, otherwise we would have to kill the hateful scumbags.

I was busy all day, so this post was from this morning. To amplify this point, Obama changed his position as a direct result of political and public pressure. His own party was leaning on him hard, as were political activists and donors, and the public's views on gay marriage have swung in support for the first time. It's the democratic process in action.

It's exactly the kind of pressure that can and should be applied to people and businesses to create change. Highlighting the objectionable stance, and withholding support until such time that it is reversed.

SeanR1221

Watching an argument on Facebook about this. The general attitude seems to be "might as well boycott every company because they probably don't match your viewpoints lolollolllll!"

Esch

Banned
I almost accidentally went to CFA today
KuGsj.gif

Bailed out in the drive through and picked up some Steak and Shake instead. I feel stupid boycotting a fast food establishment on a single issue (especially since wtf, since when do we judge Fast Food companies by moral valuation), but i just didnt feel like giving them any money. I dont think I will anymore.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Funny how this loops around: they're free to speak their views, and we're free to condemn them for those views!

Apparently you don't seem to understand how this "freedom of speech" thing works: it's a one way street.

Furthermore, you want to talk about irony? Kosmo got banned for expressing his opinion.

It don't get more hypocritical than that.

:raises flag* half mast::

confederate, of course

I wonder if any restaurants or other major companies in the 50s and 60s gave money (in the equivalent of millions today) to anti-interracial-marriage groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom