• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI animated films from the past 15 years that everyone already forgot about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the-unbeatables.jpg

DonMigs85

Gah, of course there is. And yeah, they're all pretty much enjoyable in their own way, but they just don't really need to exist, and a film should have a good reason to exist, especially in animation. Otherwise you get stuff like Alpha and Omega and even Foodfight.

They exist to make money, pure and simple.

Kangi

p161097_p_v7_aa.jpg

I actually liked this movie as a kid...No one here mentioned it I think. I even begged my dad to buy me the game on GameCube and I remember it took me forever to beat it...The fuckin Wasp Boss battle had me traumatized
I mainly remember this because the kid had the same voice actor as Aang.

Also, the mentions of Monster House are a grim reminder that it really has been forgotten. It was legitmately funny, emotional, and scary. Not the prettiest-looking film, though...

Meet The Robinsons

The first animated Disney non-Pixar movie to be produced by John Lasseter. Some now say that was the beginning of a second Disney Renaissance (the first being from 1989-1999). The animated movies from this period (2007-present) have all been well received. They are (but not limited to) Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Tangled, Frozen, and Big Hero 6 (as well as Disney's traditionally animated film, The Princess and the Frog).

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Almost positive this hasnt been posted yet....

The Lorax
Also
Pirates!

I love this film but people may consider it "forgettable" - retty sure most of it is cg too - wallace and grommit: the curse of the wererabbit

Not sure if they count but those live action/cg mashups are appalling too

Garfields
Yogi bear
Rocky and bullwinkle
Smurfs
Alvin and chipmunks

Toothless

...Why is Amy Poehler in that movie? How does someone as high profile as her appear in something like that, especially right before a leading role in Inside Out?

Her role in is the stereotypical love interest too, lol. Though let's not kid ourselves; Poehler is about on the same level of fame as Harrellson.

Screen+Shot+2013-10-23+at+2.47.55+PM.png

It's The Room of animated movies; utterly hysterical in such a bad way. No one knows about it though and it bombed rather quickly in theaters.

Haven't seen it, but I remember everyone called it out because the Pilgrims didn't even have turkey on the first Thanksgiving, as well as the ending.

Some of these like Horton Hears A Who, Dragon Hunters, Battle for Terra, and Despereaux i have seen, and yet I can barely remember anything about them.

Altazor

yup, mexican cgi movies are always forgetable.

but Metegol/Unbeatables isn't mexican - it's an argentinian-spanish production written/directed by Juan José Campanella (the guy who won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language film with "El Secreto de Sus Ojos") and, AFAIK, it was very well received here in Latin America.

the more you know.jpg

tkscz

Calling the film Epic is just so... uninspired.

61Q1cyuUiiL.jpg

I wouldn't have known that this was a thing if I didn't work at Blockbusters before they closed down.

0.jpg

Home feels like a recent example from my experiences. It just came and went. I don't recall any sort of fanfare or talk about it at all. I didn't even know it released on DVD/Blu-Ray until a few days ago (it apparently released in July in the UK).

That first movie looks like it belongs on a furry art site or something.

As for home, it's mostly talked about in social justice groups and tumblr for having the main character being a black girl and that's all they say about the movie. I saw it, and can understand how people forgot about it. It's so safe and by the numbers. It starts out with an interesting concept, and then delves deeper and deeper into paint by numbers territory. You know what will happen before it happens it's so bland.

6K07d5H.jpg

Book of life was such an amazing movie and I'm glad it was successful, but ultimately no one really remembers it. I mean, I do, but not a lot of others.

Book of life was such an amazing movie and I'm glad it was successful, but ultimately no one really remembers it. I mean, I do, but not a lot of others.

Was it really successfull? I saw it in the bargain bin for 5$ at Walmart and it's still fairly new.

tkscz

Was it really successfull? I saw it in the bargain bin for 5$ at Walmart and it's still fairly new.

The creator believes so. And world wide, it did make a profit (50m budget, made 90m world wide with 50m from domestic). It wasn't a smash hit by any means, but it's no bomba either.

Lijik

Theres a lot of fairly obsure european stuff that flies under the radar in the US winding up in dvd bargain bins. Most of them arent very good but i enjoyed Dragon Hunters quite a bit
Dragon_Hunters_%28film%29_poster.jpg

A Monster in Paris -

I don't think I know anyone besides my sisters that have seen it.

Horton -

It was decent enough, poster sucks since the Elephant isn't a smug bastard.
I really enjoyed both of these for their visual design and score. Fun movies, even if they arent classics.

Edit- the baseline for what counts as a forgotten movie in this thread is so weird. The Lorax was stupid succesful at the box office and somehow it pops up here. The amount of times Book of Life has been posted should probaby throw it out of running. Its so forgotten like ten people rushed to post it

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One more...

Barnyard

I liked that movie. Obviously influenced by Lion King, but was decent enough---love the "Won't Stand Down" scene.

It actually had a show on Nickelodeon too, which I remember being fairly decent.

Wag

3dOMNiP.jpg

Battle for Terra - Really fun movie with some real emotion throughout.

I beat you succa! 😝

You don't bother to even bother to read a few posts previous? 😀

I liked this movie enough to buy it on Blu-Ray. (but then I own over 1000 Blu-Ray so take that for what you will).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Alpha and Omega are huge with furry fans, iirc. I know a girl at least who was obsessed with them...aren't they actually Balto sequels or something?

I came to say this but forgot the name.

Saw it years ago with dad and brother, all of us got bored as shit within 10 minutes of it. It pretty much was made to rip off the "success" of Hoodwink (which, I fairly enjoyed honestly as a kid) as weird as that sounds.

Also, the mentions of Monster House are a grim reminder that it really has been forgotten. It was legitmately funny, emotional, and scary. Not the prettiest-looking film, though...

Monster House was like Bicentennial Man, in that the trailers focused on the comedy, but the actual movie broke you. I didn't know what to think when I saw it with my brother when we were pretty young, but I agree on a re-watch you can see how unique it is.

...y'know as bad as these movies are, I miss going to see stuff like this with my family as a kid. :(

Lijik

I was pretty let down by 9 but i think it came from expecations the original short set for me. It takes all 9 of the sack people to take on the cat monster in the original with the ending being bittersweet- yes 9 survives but at the loss of his companions and now he has to brave a world filled with untold dangers alone.
In the film they take on the cat monster fairly easily early on and each encouter was increasingly bombastic which killed all the tension for me. It had the same aesthetic but the vibe that drew me into the short just wasnt there.

-Gozer-

wJDTuBf.jpg

It's a pretty good movie.

It had some CGI elements but I wouldn't categorize it as a CGI movie.

I agree that it's a decent watch.

Edit:

I just watched the trailer for this and there is way more cgi in it then I remembered.
4O08TWK.jpg

I thought it was awesome, though.

I was really looking forward to seeing this one. Unfortunately, the theater I saw it in sucked and the movie was totally out of focus the whole time. So that and the fact I didn't think it was that great soured me on it. It's not a terrible movie by any stretch but I think I just hyped myself up for it way too much.

Legend of the Guardians, not to be confused with Rise of the Guardians (which everyone also forgot).

Both of those are remembered. Legend of the Guardians had a joke about it on 30 Rock.

Oh no, Soren. It's metal-beak! You have to stay awake, Eglantine, or the pure ones will moon blink us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcsy9bh-wI

Rango and Tintin are both remembered for being good movies.

Other than that though, I had forgotten about everything listed in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom