• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel is opening gamescom for the first time

Filben

Isn't that largely an American thing spurred by guns rights groups trying to shift the blame away from guns at any cost?
Nope, it is/was a common thing in Germany where even the news regulated by public law broadcasted highly biased coverages and were anti-videogames; citation with false context, even 'harmless' video games like World of Warcraft were put in a bad light, interviews with weirdly presented antisocial gamers and the like.

Though it didn't change the public opinion much. Video games are much more accepted than twenty years ago. In my social peer group, it started with the PS2 and Xbox 1 when even the 'cool kids'-- who mocked the 'nerds' on regular basis-- started with gaming.

:ahhhhhhh

You know what? I'm sick of this trolling bullshit on this forum. So many people who don't know shit and think they know anything. Posting gifs, short answers or just some dumb letters instead of arguments.

GAF turned into the worst forum over the last two years. I'm out.

Kyougar

Are you serious? Do you want to discriminate against me because of my vote? Why are you asking this? I'm not voting for this awful human being, that's for sure.

Like all of her defenders you don't have any arguments besides "You're wrong". Pathetic as hell . False claims, lol. Yeah sure.

So you vote AFD, gotcha.

The context is that she hates our fucking country and population. Apparently all germans living today are still responsible for WW2 and should feel guilty. Every one who criticizes her and her politics is a nazi. She wants a european identity (instead of a german national identity) for all of us.
She is a fascist.

Damn, son. I'm an American and even I know better than this all-or-nothing bullshit rhetoric. What's the equivalent of Fox News in Germany?

The context is that she hates our fucking country and population. Apparently all germans living today are still responsible for WW2 and should feel guilty. Every one who criticizes her and her politics is a nazi. She wants a european identity (instead of a german national identity) for all of us.
She is a fascist.

So your criticism boils down to that you want more nationalism, you disagree with the premise that a country that has gone where Germany went in WW II should bear responsibility for their actions and you really like strawmen arguments.

Boy, do I have the party for you.

ekim

She is a fascist.

lol... you forgot to mention Lügenpresse and Wir sind das Volk to complete your nonsense post.

So your criticism boils down to that you want more nationalism, you disagree with the premise that a country that has gone where Germany went in WW II should bear responsibility for their actions and you really like strawmen arguments.

Boy, do I have the party for you.

He probably already knows what to vote...
AfD

MUnited83

For you.
You know what? I'm sick of this trolling bullshit on this forum. So many people who don't know shit and think they know anything. Posting gifs, short answers or just some dumb letters instead of arguments.

"You don't know shit about anything" says person that doesn't say shit about anything and refuses to make a proper argument with actual basis on why exactly is Merkel a fascist, all the while complaining no one knows anything and constantly putting out the victim card.
If your "6 years" of studying "politics" were so enlightening, why don't you teach people and let them "know something"? All you did was your bullshit short answers that you complain about.
Are you serious? Do you want to discriminate against me because of my vote? Why are you asking this? I'm not voting for this awful human being, that's for sure.

Like all of her defenders you don't have any arguments besides "You're wrong". Pathetic as hell . False claims, lol. Yeah sure.
LMAO. You're the one making huge claims without any source, evidence, or even arguments, and in the one that needs to prove you wrong? LMAO, back up your shit kid. Something you should have learned in "6 years" of "politics"

tuxfool

Banned
She is a fascist.

Hahahaha.

Interesting that somebody so nakedly nationalist would be dinging others for fascism.

giphy.gif

Shredderi

"You don't know shit about anything" says person that doesn't say shit about anything and refuses to make a proper argument with actual basis on why exactly is Merkel a fascist, all the while complaining no one knows anything and constantly putting out the victim card.
If your "6 years" of studying "politics" were so enlightening, why don't you teach people and let them "know something"? All you did was your bullshit short answers that you complain about.

I think he's already gone.

She is a fascist.

I'm glad to know other countries besides the US have people that refuse to acknowledge the wrongdoings of their country. Sometimes it's nice to have a reminder that we're all still human, no matter what country we live in.

ekim

If your "6 years" of studying "politics" were so enlightening, why don't you teach people and let them "know something"?

You know... we in Germany have a too good life so people start complaining about bullshit. It's in our nature unfortunately. And don't even try to discuss these topics seriously.

I studied politics for six years at university but just say "no", right? That's why I'm not discussing politics online. Too many people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Sorry to tell you, but I think you might need six more years before you can talk with the grown ups without making a fool of yourself. Maybe you should go back and try again?

A unified, free Europe is not exactly the classic wet dream of fascists.

You honestly come off as a nationalist who got called out on his BS and is trying to project a rightfully earned label onto the political enemy.

Walshicus

Is it usual to address the German Chancellor by her/his title that way?

"Chancellor Dr Merkel"

Surely the 'Chancellor' title replaces the Dr?

THEaaron

She is a fascist.

Wow that is insanely dull for someone who claims to have studied politics.

I am German myself and I really can't say if it is important for me to have a strict German identity, since I like the variation of culture in Europe. For me, being a citizen of Europe is just as good, if not better, as refering my identity to a single nation.

I even work as a Software Engineer in an european evironment in a leading E-Commerce company.
We have offices in many european countries and I can work from every office we have, if I want to.

There is really nothing in Germany that plasters you with guilt from WW2. But there is an insane amount of education of Germanys past since these events aren't dated too far and I don't think it is wrong to be reminded of that. That doesn't mean you carry the guilt. It just means you have to know better for the future.

And no, in Germany no one is called out being a Nazi for critizing her. That is a huge misinterpretation of "critic".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems strange given that videogame development is pretty much dead in Germany, and has hardly been a home to many notable videogame developers in the past. Probably the most notable is Factor 5 and Crytek. Yager too. But even Crytek is now on its last leg.
Germany is quite large in f2p and the domestic market, though yes, their international prominence is low and they could use government incentives to help with that.

IIRC Merkel has been pushing on modernizing Germany's technical industries though, and this appearance is presumably part of that.

Shredderi

I hope that Gamescom won't be perceived by some as having links to political stuff and increase it's chances of becoming a target to some lunatic.

llien

Man, she's awesome

Elections this autumn.

No one is going to vote for her party just because she opened a video game fair, lol.

That's not how voters work, especially in Germany, with so many impulse voters.

"Chancellor Dr Merkel"

It extends, not replaces (although normally it is skipped in her case, you are right).
Note that an official title for someone with two doctorates would be "Dr Dr" or "DDr". It doesn't stop there, triple Dr is also a thing and I don't see why quadruple would be a problem.

Devil

I studied politics for six years at university but just say "no", right? That's why I'm not discussing politics online. Too many people who have no idea what they're talking about.

I did the same, so did my wife and we both disagree with you. Giving your studies as a reason for being correct makes you sound fucking arrogant and is not a real argument anyway.

OK, so you call Merkel a fascist because she wants emphasises the importance of a super-national European identity rather than emphasising a German national one. You post this in response to Merkel refusing to celebrate a victory under the banner of Germany, because she knows she doesn't represent all Germans and doesn't want to be seen as promoting "Deutchland uber alles".

That's about the purest non-sequitur I've ever heard. I mean fascism is kinda defined by its nationalist identity-politics, coupled with an authoritarian leader who represents the state and a strong emphasis on militarism and anti-globalism.

But I guess someone who thinks militaristic authoritarian nationalism is bad is the real fascist...

Nibel

She is a fascist.

😂
Yikes

Krosia

"Chancellor Dr Merkel"

German culture is "if you earned your Dr. it should be used out of respect". Especially in official messages like this one here it is absolutely normal. Doesn't matter if her job is being chancellor or whatever it is.

MayMay

Banned
She is a fascist.

Alter, komm mal runter xd

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

"Chancellor Dr Merkel"

This is a nation that actually feels calling someone with two doctorates who is also a professor "Frau Professor Doctor Doctor Last Name" is neither absurd nor excruciatingly pretentious, and also will try to legally fine foreigners who call themselves doctor because their degrees aren't from Germany, so presumably not.

Harlequin

Man, she's awesome

She isn't but this looks like a good sign that video games might finally be appreciated a bit more in German politics.

"Chancellor Dr Merkel"

Yeah, usually people in Germany just say "Chancellor Merkel". Oftentimes they'll also just say "Angel Merkel" without the Chancellor. Adding in the Dr is definitely not common practice as far as I know (although I suppose in this case it's meant as an added sign of respect).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is a nation that actually feels calling someone with two doctorates who is also a professor "Frau Professor Doctor Doctor Last Name" is neither absurd nor excruciatingly pretentious, and also will try to legally fine foreigners who call themselves doctor because their degrees aren't from Germany, so presumably not.

Its really laughable, Helmut Kohl went famously overboard with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINBasa8BXg

RIK

Neo Member
I find it interesting that the people who pine for a strong national identity for their respective European country would also be the ones dying in a war.

Forum warriors turned front line warriors.

Used to be a way to get rid of them. Unfortunately it didn't stop there.

Eggiem

Yikes. Und tschüss!

"Too many people who have no idea what they're talking about"

"I studied politics for six years"

is like the equivalent of "I don't know if you know about japanese culture - i'm an expert - but..."

Hmm. I mean, you could at least engage in debate, even if you dislike + disagree with people. I mean you almost literally shitpost by saying "Not even worth talking about human beings like Merkel" then go onto say "I know about Facism" then claim a six year politics education gives you a right to tell people to shut up because they're not worth your time. Almost like...

It sucks that I'm moving to Bavaria literally a week after Gamescom. Maybe I'll live though, I hear that show is PACKED.

Also I wonder how many of the Merkel critics are Americans? My fucking lite alt right brother has been brainwashed into hating her.

Akai__

Germany is quite large in f2p and the domestic market, though yes, their international prominence is low and they could use government incentives to help with that.

IIRC Merkel has been pushing on modernizing Germany's technical industries though, and this appearance is presumably part of that.

I'm interested in this. How could the government help with that? Do you mean something like Poland is doing for CDPR? Or something else?

Agreed on the 2nd part, though. For example, she is trying to push the "50mbit/s internet for everyone by the end of 2018". Really nice, even if it probably won't happen according to Netzgesellschaft experts.

Ms.Galaxy

That really neat of her, honestly. The cynical in me is saying she's just doing this to get the youth vote, but hey, I like to see good leaders interact with the people that may or may not have voted for them.

I've studied medicine for 8 years at university, and vaccines totes gives kids autism.

(I'm not really a doctor, also you have no idea what fascism is.)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Translation: I've been called out a ton of times on my ignorance and don't like it!

Pathetic as hell . False claims, lol. Yeah sure.

Holy shit this escalated quickly.

Dude, you got triggered as hell. If a random one-word reply from a stranger in an online forum makes you this angry, you'll never survive in the real world. I don't know too much about Merkel, but you gotta realize that you're throwing around powerful words. No one is obliged to explain why they think she isn't fascist, if you don't explain why she is in the first place.

And that hyperbole at the end, lol. You haven't been to many forums, that's for sure. The grass isn't greener; there's nothing but darkness in non-GAF gaming forums.

Top Bottom