• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel is opening gamescom for the first time

You know what? I'm sick of this trolling bullshit on this forum. So many people who don't know shit and think they know anything. Posting gifs, short answers or just some dumb letters instead of arguments.

GAF turned into the worst forum over the last two years. I'm out.

Shit got real this in thread.

I don't live in Europe and don't really follow European politics, but I have to agree with The Perfect Dark. Nobody presented an argument against what he/she said. Everyone sort of just made fun of him/her. I'd be pissed too

Trump can embarrass us next year at E3

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I don't live in Europe and don't really follow European politics, but I have to agree with The Perfect Dark. Nobody presented an argument against what he/she said. Everyone sort of just made fun of him/her. I'd be pissed too

Good that you delievered an argumentless Trump joke straight after posting that nobody argumented against him

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Dead. The government completely shat the bed when the industry was up and coming.

Crytek is struggling (and hasn't been relevant since crisis 2, let's be honest), Yager is struggling, piranha bytes is going fine in their niche of eurojank rpgs and indie studios barely exist (can only think of three).

The only ones I can think of that are doing really good are mobile ad-game developers.

Fortunately it's calmed down in the last year's, but that's probably also due to the fact that we didn't had a lot of violent incidents in general.

The stigma of videogames definitely has become a lot lesser, but I'm sure if another school shooting were to happen it would pop up again, at least among the conservative press and people.

Daedalic is another dev that seems to do ok and does surprisingly solid games but yeah I hope it will become easier in the future and more jobs in games can be created.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was not making fun of anyone's comments in this thread.

Of course you wouldnt also not do this when a Trump fan would spout nonsense on neogaf.com.

Edit: What you are basicly saying is that we should also argue with people who say that there are child trafficing rings in pizza restaurants. Booth this and the Merkel stuff is the same nonsense, posted by the same kind of people in the internet.

wrowa

He made a wild, outlandish claim that he didn't back up with anything and yet others are supposed to form a proper argument? Calling Merkel a fascist is so laughably stupid, trying to argue against it a waste of everyone's time. A person who formed such an opinion is not going to listen to anything anyone has to say.

farting

Banned
The context is that she hates our fucking country and population. Apparently all germans living today are still responsible for WW2 and should feel guilty. Every one who criticizes her and her politics is a nazi. She wants a european identity (instead of a german national identity) for all of us.
She is a fascist.

weird, this is exactly the same thing people say about Corbyn because he doesn't like empty gestures of nationalism and so he hates our country and stuff. Not that Merkel is anywhere near as much of a lad as Corbyn, as far as i know she is neoliberal as fuck, but yeah.

He made a wild, outlandish claim that he didn't back up with anything and yet others are supposed to form a proper argument? Calling Merkel a fascist is so laughably stupid, trying to argue against it a waste of everyone's time. A person who formed such an opinion is not going to listen to anything anyone has to say.

Calling her a fascist is stupid, but everything else he said is a hot topic not just in Europe, but in the US as well. We always thought the far right in the US were just the last gasps of old white men who would eventually die off and never took them seriously, but we saw what happened in the US a few months ago.

farting

Banned
but everything else he said is a hot topic not just in Europe, but in the US as well.

nothing he posted is worth engaging with properly, just typical right wing talking points. i don't think these things are going to be addressed in a thread on a videogame forum for talking about videogames, just let it go

Of course you wouldnt also not do this when a Trump fan would spout nonsense on neogaf.com.

Edit: What you are basicly saying is that we should also argue with people who say that there are child trafficing rings in pizza restaurants. Booth this and the Merkel stuff is the same nonsense, posted by the same kind of people in the internet.

I'm confused. Are you saying people shouldn't rebuke false/unsubstantiated claims with facts/evidence to the contrary, but should instead just make attempts to shut down discourse?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm confused. Are you saying people shouldn't rebuke false/unsubstantiated claims with facts/evidence to the contrary, but should instead just make attempts to shut down discourse?
I see no reason to argue with people who went the rabbidhole so super deep.
My lifetime is to precious for this.
Also, its not like I could post a source on a website that Angela Merkel doesnt sees all germans as nazis. Its basic understanding of something.

I see no reason to argue with people who went the rabbidhole so super deep.
My lifetime is to precious for this.

Fair enough. I just wish people wouldn't go straight to mocking individuals that lack that basic understanding. Mockery only makes them double down on their belief. Nobody learns anything and nothing is gained. It just frustrates me.

Also, its not like I could post a source on a website that Angela Merkel doesnt sees all germans as nazis. Its basic understanding of something.

Totally understand this too. But why do you have to find a source? The burden of proof is on person making the claims. Get them to provide a source. Then everyone has something to work with. And hopefully others will come in with counter sources and hopefully somebody learns something. That's my dream any way.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough. I just wish people wouldn't go straight to mocking individuals that lack that basic understanding. Mockery only makes them double down on their belief. Nobody learns anything and nothing is gained. It just frustrates me.

The same can be said about trying to educate them honestly.
I have never met, interacted with a person that started out at a comparable position and turned out receptive to facts and wouldn't double down on the stupidity. And it's definitely not for a lack of trying. What you usually get is just circle rhetoric and just intentional provocation and extremely selective sentence picking when preparing counter arguments to facts represented and veiled ignorance. It's experiences like that, that make people resort to mockery. Another great recent example of this on this board was the last night thread. You had tons of that shit in there.

The same can be said about trying to educate them honestly.
I have never met, interacted with a person that started out at a comparable position and turned out receptive to facts and wouldn't double down on the stupidity. And it's definitely not for a lack of trying. What you usually get is just circle rhetoric and just intentional provocation and extremely selective sentence picking when preparing counter arguments to facts represented and veiled ignorance. It's experiences like that, that make people resort to mockery. Another great recent example of this on this board was the last night thread. You had tons of that shit in there.

That person's opinion may not change but other people following the conversation may learn from the discussion. What was the last night thread?

tuxfool

Banned
That person's opinion may not change but other people following the conversation may learn from the discussion. What was the last night thread?

Just give over. Person makes a stupid argument full of hyperbole and we're supposed to treat them seriously? Fuck that.

Add to that dumping supposed academic achievements as authority but has arguments that are anything but nuanced or lack any academic rigor behind them. We're not here to coddle right wing nationalists.

But she's such a buzzkill 😥

giphy.gif

Can you imagine the outrage If Obama or any other American politician had done this?

Mahadev

Lol you're all allowed to leave the EU
Just get the majority of your fellow citizens to vote for a party, that wants a split.

Germany will be fine without the EU.

Still not sure if this post was serious or not, tho

Not if the corporate media who are owned by local elites that benefit greatly from EU are painting doom and gloom 24/7 about the prospect of leaving EU. Not if the local elites are influencing elections and strong-arming politicians. We saw the angst and hissy fits the corporate media threw about the Brexit, they're still whining along with liberals and neoliberals that love the particular trojan horse Merkel is controlling and ruining Europe with.

On paper and from a layman's POV EU sounds great, when you see up close the poverty and ruination Merkel is bringing to Europe with her austerity and neoliberal doctrines you think about it twice if that union exists in good faith anymore.

Not if the corporate media who are owned by local elites that benefit greatly from EU are painting doom and gloom 24/7 about the prospect of leaving EU. Not if the local elites are influencing elections and strong-arming politicians. We saw the angst and hissy fits the corporate media threw about the Brexit, they're still whining along with liberals and neoliberals that love the particular trojan horse Merkel is controlling and ruining Europe with.

On paper and from a layman's POV EU sounds great, when you see up close the poverty and ruination Merkel is bringing to Europe with her austerity and neoliberal doctrines you think about it twice if that union exists in good faith anymore.

I wondered what this bump was about.

I rather wouldn't have looked. How can you even go this far off the deep end?

Mahadev

I wondered what this bump was about.

I rather wouldn't have looked. How can you even go this far off the deep end?

Great argument fella. If by "deep end" you mean siding against neoliberalism, not even capitalism in this particular discussion, yes, I went there and I'm damn proud of it.

Great argument fella. If by "deep end" you mean siding against neoliberalism, not even capitalism in this particular discussion, yes, I went there and I'm damn proud of it.

I don't see the worth of even trying to have an argument.

I mean, I can understand criticizing the surplus and austerity or asking for EU reforms, but man.

Painting the picture of the big bad EU "controlled" (whatever that means) by Merkel fucking over it's citizens and Brexit being a reasonable choice is just sad. Especially since you're pretending people would have better lives under companies if they weren't in the EU with all its regulations. That's just so blatantly absurd, I dunno what to say.

Just because you want to show these neolibrul shills on the internet.

Anyway, this is the gaming forum, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Mahadev

I don't see the worth of even trying to have an argument.

I mean, I can understand criticizing the surplus and austerity or asking for EU reforms, but man.

Painting the picture of the big bad EU "controlled" (whatever that means) by Merkel fucking over it's citizens and Brexit being a reasonable choice is just sad. Especially since you're pretending people would have better lives under companies if they weren't in the EU with all its regulations. That's just so blatantly absurd, I dunno what to say.

Just because you want to show these neolibrul shills on the internet.

Anyway, this is the gaming forum, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Except for the fact that, you know, if you have the patience to follow what's going on in Eurogroups you'd realize that if Schauble doesn't want something to happen it won't happen no matter how much the rest of Europe disagrees with him. They have dropped all pretenses that EU is a union of equals.

Now that Corbyn is very likely to become a PM I think the Brexit is the best thing to happen to UK. A leftist wouldn't have a chance in hell to legislate the changes they wanted for their country within this EU.

Nerazar

So she is going to take pictures with cosplayers in about an hour.
PHOTOSHOP OPPERTUNITIES :D
Seriously though very cool :D

Yes, over the years she became quite confident in the middle of the populace. Remember that time:

olivia-jones-dpa12052017-1.jpg

I think her opening up Gamescom is a great sign of support. It's the biggest games expo in Europe after all. I should go next year or so since the line-up is pretty hands-on with enhanced E3 stuff.

barit

Yeah yeah the new we-are-hip-and-listen-to-the-youth initiative from CDU. It's just ordinary campaign what you see here. She even gave an interview on fucking Youtube for the first time just to get some points among the young voters. And do you know why she does it? Because her rival Martin Schulz had a little success story with the subreddit The_Schulz and Merkel's election team probably thought "Damn we need to do something similar!!". Merkel would ban all videogames with one strike in Germany if that would help her getting reelected. Bunch of hypocrites nothing more.

Bl@de

Yeah yeah the new we-are-hip-and-listen-to-the-youth initiative from CDU. It's just ordinary campaign what you see here. She even gave an interview on fucking Youtube for the first time just to get some points among the young voters. And do you know why she does it? Because her rival Martin Schulz had a little success story with the subreddit The_Schulz and Merkel's election team probably thought "Damn we need to do something similar!!". Merkel would ban all videogames with one strike in Germany if that would help her getting reelected. Bunch of hypocrites nothing more.

Exactly.

Blood is not censored in Germany. certainly not to blue and green.
It was like 10 years ago ... and even then it wasn't a problem to import uncut games. Yet we can still have tits in our games without causing a riot, lol.

@Topic: It's cool that she opens the event. It's a big convention and from economic interest. Would like to see more AAA games from Germany. We have some talented studios, but they often lack the budget to truly fulfill their visions. Piranha Bytes could use some more money for their games to iron out the technical problems.

Drackhorn

This.

Top Bottom