• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chankast (DreamCast Emulator) port to Xbox?

Chankast port to Xbox?
>> From MetaFox on consolevision.com:
A few days ago we reported about the Spanish Dreamcast / GP32 party "MadriDC" which took place on Saturday 26th in Madrid, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Lucky we catched a lot more information about what happend at the partyplace.

The most interesting act was the conference conducted by Unai, a member of Chankast team and responsable of the graphics core. He announced a new core in OpenGL to attempt a Linux port. Also the last alpha will be released very soon, and the next release would be a beta that will probably run fullspeed at 700Mhz and... there's a machine that runs at 600Mhz that can receive a port... (and that might the Xbox, sad for all us die-hard Dreamcast freaks).

Chankast is a Dreamcast emulator for PC currently in development.
You can find more info about Chankast on chanka.org.
Thanks to Momdad for the news/link.

how 'bout them apples?

Culex

Banned
.25 alpha runs in full screen and fixes a ton of graphic bugs. This is the god among emulators.

MASB

It's amazing how fast they're coming along with Chankast. They've only been working on it for 4-5 months or so. I heard that Wario World is showing/playing up in a GC emu. Of course it'll be years (as it should be) before a GC emu will be even as good as the real thing, let alone 'better'.

ourumov

I wasn't at the MadridDC but the people who were said the Chankast programers were cool people...
Anyways I find a bit risky to admit that they'll could do an XBOX port of Chankast...

Sho Nuff

Banned
OH SNAP the new version of Chankast lets you jack up the screen res. Daytona in 1280x1024!!?!?!? Yes please!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
For a lot more than I would've paid a year or so ago when they were cheap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
For a lot more than I would've paid a year or so ago when they were cheap.

Err, he wasn't talking about the broadband adaptor. The point was that the Dreamcast BIOS is available all over the net.

Culex

Banned
DCharlie said:
what kind of PC beast does this require?

2 gigahertz or faster CPU, 256 meg ram or more, a directx 9 videocard (9500 Pro or higher, FX 5600 or higher), HUGE amount of HDD space for the images.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I dedicated 10 minutes to finding it the other day w/ no success...

N/M

Found it!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So how well does the emulator work now? I've got a 3.2ghz PC with a gig of RAM...could I get SF3 running fast?

system bioses are rediculously easy to find it seems...
someone keeps them all in a "bios house"...
for free too... i think he's french...
even stuff like calculator bioses...

btrboyev

well the xbox isn't going to read GD-Roms

What would be the point of an xbox port anyways? its cpu is far too slow.

btrboyev

no I read it...full speed at 700mhz doesn't sound feasible to me..you can barely hit fullspeed on a psx emulator with that. Then again I'm not the author of the emu.

NMan

btrboyev said:
no I read it...full speed at 700mhz doesn't sound feasible to me..you can barely hit fullspeed on a psx emulator with that. Then again I'm not the author of the emu.
Dreamcast was able to offer psx emulation with moderate success

btrboyev

yes I know that..but it took quite a bit of optimation and it was game specific. Not to mention dreamcast was light years beyond psx hardware..the same cannot be said of xbox.

ourumov

yes I know that..but it took quite a bit of optimation and it was game specific. Not to mention dreamcast was light years beyond psx hardware..the same cannot be said of xbox.

If you compare both CPUs you just have 1.4 GFLOPS against 2.9 GFLOPS...But I suppose their plan is to just overload X-GPU doing T&L. That's the reason why they want to upgrade the core to OGL.

Anyways, I'll doubt it'll run enough good...

Top Bottom