• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Assuming that guy above knows what he's on about... he replied to this...

Emilio Garcia‏
@Emilio_GW
My issue with all the VR tech is the wires. Can't see me buying VR till AAA games available & lot less wires.

with...

Ryan Daws‏ @Gadget_Ry 6m6 minutes ago
More
Ryan Daws Retweeted Emilio Garcia
Almost guarantee they're gone 😉 #Xbox #VR #Scorpio #ProjectScorpio
That would be a megaton

IRgo0cc.jpg

gamz

Emilio Garcia‏
@Emilio_GW
My issue with all the VR tech is the wires. Can't see me buying VR till AAA games available & lot less wires.

with...

More

That would be huge! Perhaps they are working with MS on getting that done?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good initiative. The next iterations of Vive and Oculus are almost guaranteed to offer wireless VR. It's a huge step forward from the current systems.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Emilio Garcia‏
@Emilio_GW

with...

More
uu9pmDP.gif

pieface

To be fair, I remember the Phil Spencer interview with IGN recently, and he said that the only way Xbox was going to get involved with VR, is when it becomes wireless.

Maybe it's possible sooner than we thought?

Though, in the same interview he didn't sound like VR was imminent for xbox, so i'm unsure.

Rourkey

Sweet. So in theory manufacturers could patch in the functionality as long as it has hdmi 2.1 then?

I think it means if yiou have a hdmi 2.0 license you dont need to pay any more for 2.1

I dont think it means they are necessarily comptable or that the hardware can be upgraded with a bit of sofware

Suspect the VRR stuff will take hardware level upgrades

Would dearly love to be wrong though!

TBiddy

So, possibly wireless VR in cooperation with AMD. I'm not into VR, but if you consider the mess that is the PSVR setup, this must be very intriguing for those who want to play VR!

All this talk of Scorpio and I can't help but wonder who is actually meant to buy this console.

MS are hyping this to be the next-gen Xbox, but it's selling point is 4K resolution and VR. All this without ever showing a game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All this talk of Scorpio and I can't help but wonder who is actually meant to buy this console.

MS are hyping this to be the next-gen Xbox, but it's selling point is 4K resolution and VR. All this without ever showing a game.

They specifically are not.

To cite the Gamasutra article:

corpio’s chief talking point is 4K resolution: Spencer says Microsoft is trying a mid-generation console refresh because it wagered the Next Big Thing in television technology, 4K displays, would be adopted widely enough to justify building towards in the middle of the Xbox One’s lifespan, rather than at the end.

“We could use that kind of clean cut,” Spencer said. “But we thought 4K TVs would get to scale in the middle of this generation.”

They specifically are not.

To cite the Gamasutra article:

So why is so much media space, columns and discussion here dedicated to yet another 4k machine? This is clearly not an Xbox Two, just like the Pro was not a PlayStation 5. Certainly, with 70-page threads, this is being treated as more than an incremental upgrade, even though it is nothing more than that.

Justin

So why is so much media space, columns and discussion here dedicated to yet another 4k machine? This is clearly not an Xbox Two, just like the Pro was not a PlayStation 5.

I don't think a 12 minute video on a hard core hardware enthusiast site and two articles on a site that is for developers constitutes "so much media space".

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So why is so much media space, columns and discussion here dedicated to yet another 4k machine? This is clearly not an Xbox Two, just like the Pro was not a PlayStation 5. Certainly, with 70-page threads, this is being treated as more than an incremental upgrade, even though it is nothing more than that.

same happend wth the PS4 pro, they have to write about something

TBiddy

xbox_dev_kits_group_1.jpg

That's some sexy stuff. Looks like we have a pretty good idea on how Scorpio will look now, considering how close the XB1 looks to the dev-kit. Can't speak for the XB1S, since I don't own it :(

For what we would do in 2016, and we sat around a table not too dissimlar from this and said, I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay. So that's when we stopped that effort.

$399 bruh

black070

The XB1S has it's own 100 page thread.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nah, it scored well and sold millions. It's one of the biggest games of this gen. VR needs games like Fallout 4 if it's ever going to have a chance of hitting mainstream popularity

Fallout 4 holds zero mindshare right now and interest of the game fell off a cliff post-release. I'd wager even Skyrim VR would have way more of an impact.

Somnia

Surprised no thread on the Phil Spencer interview from Gamasutra yet, that's way better than the other article IMO. Really enjoyed reading that.

edit: Thread went up literally as I posted this.

MaulerX

Emilio Garcia‏
@Emilio_GW

with...

More

Hot damn. This can't be real.

Please let it be real.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wireless VR solution for Scorpio? I'm listening. :)
Hope they deliver a kick ass all around VR HMD & software showcase at E3.

Lady Gaia

Wireless VR solution for Scorpio? I'm listening. :)
Hope they deliver a kick ass all around VR HMD & software showcase at E3.

It would certainly make VR a much more compelling story. The obvious challenge is keeping latency low since that's your primary enemy in VR. Wireless connections always add latency over their wired counterparts. The question is how much? Even touted "zero latency" technologies aren't, they're just low latency compared to other more common solutions.

Matty8787

I might be crazy but I am considering selling my PC and going full console.

I already own the PS4 Pro and if I sold my PC could easily afford this and a Switch.

I've seen this gif used a few times in the last week in response to some Scorpio-slated feature.

Has to be a good sign (gif usage has to be a great metric of excitement, right?...).

To be fair, I remember the Phil Spencer interview with IGN recently, and he said that the only way Xbox was going to get involved with VR, is when it becomes wireless.

Maybe it's possible sooner than we thought?

Though, in the same interview he didn't sound like VR was imminent for xbox, so i'm unsure.
Perhaps trying to manage expectations...?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Man these next few months will be slow. Would be great if they could release in September. Could do some great bundles.

Imagine if they fixed the RGB range. That would be the real megaton.

Guess I'm not the only one. 😁

Top Bottom