• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

I've been thinking about how Microsoft really hit things out of the park with this initial "reveal" lately. It was really smart of them to let Digital Foundry do the talking with first-hand information rather than leaks.

I'm really curious to see how they'll handle Scorpio's presence at E3 now. Sony already proved that doing a 1080p livestream isn't the best option to try showing off 4K content. Anyone have ideas for what they might do?

I'm kind of expecting them to only show Xbox One S footage on stage. They can then just mention a few ways that Scorpio can improve each game and point people towards the Scorpio version footage on Youtube etc...
There's no way they won't show Scorpio footage on stage.

Yeah... I have a sinking feeling that this is the approach they'll take. Personally, I think that would be a bit misleading for those who don't plan to buy-in with Scorpio. I suppose we'll see though!
I imagine they'll clarify that it's running on Scorpio, or there'll be a footer disclaimer on the video, etc. For how proud they are of this thing, they're definitely going to show it off.

I don't know of if I'd say it's misleading, though. They've been quite clear thus far about the difference in power between the Scorpio and OG XBO - I don't see that changing.

I imagine they'll clarify that it's running on Scorpio, or there'll be a footer disclaimer on the video, etc. For how proud they are of this thing, they're definitely going to show it off.

I don't know of if I'd say it's misleading, though. They've been quite clear thus far about the difference in power between the Scorpio and OG XBO - I don't see that changing.

I guess my thoughts on this are up in the air as I don't yet feel I know who they want to sell this to. I think the final pricing will really show whether they want this to appeal only to enthusiasts (Anything over $399 as the "base" model IMO), or if they plan for Scorpio to be the next iterative step for Xbox (Pricing at $399). If it's the latter, I'd expect them to do exactly as you said and give us mainly Scorpio footage. If it's the former I can see them focusing on Xbox One S with side-notes about Scorpio.

I guess my thoughts on this are up in the air as I don't yet feel I know who they want to sell this to. I think the final pricing will really show whether they want this to appeal only to enthusiasts (Anything over $399 as the "base" model IMO), or if they plan for Scorpio to be the next iterative step for Xbox (Pricing at $399). If it's the latter, I'd expect them to do exactly as you said and give us mainly Scorpio footage. If it's the former I can see them focusing on Xbox One S with side-notes about Scorpio.

Listen, MS may say they are selling this to the hardcore or whatever but truth be told, they wouldn't mind if more than just the hardcore buys into Scorpio.

So, regardless of price expect any reveal footage or press footage of games to be Scorpio for the most part. With 4K sets becoming cheaper and cheaper, they will want to show it off. Also, don't forget they have put a lot of thought into the benefits for 1080p gamers, so there is no reason from them to not show games on Scorpio.

Comparison videos is what will show us the differences (I'm sure base model XB1S games will also have videos as well, but focus will be on Scorpio). It's not like there's only going to be Scorpio games, same libraries...Just one will look much better than the other.

Yeah we already know what the XboxOne can and can't do. So i think they'll just show Scorpio footage and place a disclaimer line of text in the video.
I'm fine with that. Interested in the Scorpio but not in the XboxOne.

Now I'm becoming interested in Xbox.

I'm even considering giving a New Forza a try, subject to what wheel support it may have.

However, there needs to be some brilliant brand new IP's that interest me before it becomes a reality.

Come on Microsoft - start pushing Sony in this area.

JlNX

We will probably get a unveil of what the console looks like from the verge or something. I think they will still keep release date and price for the E3 conference because that will only take a minute and it will allow for them to say every game we show today is running on scorpio. It's a great way to sell it, using the whole E3 message as a advert for the system. Unless they have other secrets for the system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Then why are you in this thread? This is why these threads become dumpster fires; it's because people with no interest in the actual topic come in and shit on it because it's not aligned with their platform of choice or their game franchise of choice, etc. If you are a Sony person and have no interest in Xbox that is fine, but then stop waisting time in these threads.

While I like the idea of this board being broad and inclusive of all consoles, I sometimes also wish GAF had dedicated boards to specific consoles where the melodramatic bullshit that happens in pretty much every thread like this wouldn't be tolerated.

Uh are you new here?

Because someone is, by your words a "Sony person", they can't comment on topics not directly pertaining to anything but PS4?

Makes no sense. That's what sites like GameFaq's are for, complete nonsense. The mods here can moderate anything they feel is inappropriate.

I agree with that, but I disagree with your approach of telling hurt platform warriors "don't worry, your favorite platform is still cool, everything will be alright." Coddling them isn't going to have any sort of meaningful result. I am a strong believer in telling the truth and letting the facts speak for themselves. We shouldn't mince words just because a platform warrior's feelings might be hurt or the hype train might be derailed. To that effect, here are some facts about Scorpio as I perceive them based on all available information.

Scorpio will be the most powerful console in the market when it is released and it will have a commanding lead in performance over the PS4 Pro. Multiplatform games will most likely look and probably run noticeably better on Scorpio compared to the PS4 Pro.

Scorpio's Jaguar CPU, evolved or not, will significantly limit the console's ability to provide any meaningful framerate boost over the PS4 Pro or even the Xbox One in games that run at 30 fps. Don't expect multiplatform games that run at 30 fps on Pro to run at 60 fps on Scorpio. It's not going to happen.

Scorpio will perform in the same ballpark as similar PC hardware. It will not magically punch way above its weight or compete with $500 GPUs.

Well that's all obvious, i was also being semi facetious with that comment btw :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You'd think it would all be obvious but if you read through the thread you will quickly realize it's not the case. Many here believe what they want to believe.

That's what i'm irritated about. Scorpio is what it is, and being obtuse about the result are not gonna change a thing except embarrass those people

That's what i'm irritated about. Scorpio is what it is, and being obtuse about the result are not gonna change a thing except embarrass those people
So they get embarrassed? Who cares? There's some good information in these threads, I just skip over the posts by the usual suspects, it's usually the same group anyway.

Isurus

Uh are you new here?

Because someone is, by your words a "Sony person", they can't comment on topics not directly pertaining to anything but PS4?

Makes no sense. That's what sites like GameFaq's are for, complete nonsense. The mods here can moderate anything they feel is inappropriate.

Don't forget the qualifying "and" part of my statement. I just find it curious that people would chose to spend time reading and discussing something that they self-proclaim to have no interest in. Seems...contradictory? Life is kinda too short for that. Humans tend to be irrational, so I guess I shouldn't expect different (a paradox of sorts, since I'm being irrational about irrational behavior).

Been here a long time, but that was a rhetorical question.

Bring on Scorpio; my wallet is ready.

worrying about performance problems because of af16 is FUD.
Let me be clear, I am not expecting games to run at 20fps due to forced 16xAF. What I was saying is that 16xAF isn't free, so mandating it takes a modicum of balance control out of developers' hands. That doesn't sound ideal to me, but maybe they'll all be able to work around it. I'm not as smart as they are.

I'm not even sure Forza 7 Scorpio will look much better than PS4 GTsport to be honest. GT games' lighting just makes them luck better than their, sometimes, more technically advanced Forza competitors.
I do think lighting will be better designed in GTS, but the Scorpio power gap is big enough that overall appearance quality is very likely to be higher with Forza.

Scorpio will be the most powerful console in the market when it is released and it will have a commanding lead in performance over the PS4 Pro. Multiplatform games will most likely look and probably run noticeably better on Scorpio compared to the PS4 Pro.

Scorpio's Jaguar CPU, evolved or not, will significantly limit the console's ability to provide any meaningful framerate boost over the PS4 Pro or even the Xbox One in games that run at 30 fps....

Scorpio will perform in the same ballpark as similar PC hardware. It will not magically punch way above its weight or compete with $500 GPUs.
All this sounds eminently reasonable. The only thing I might quibble with is the statement that multiplats will probably run better on Scorpio than Pro. This should apply to unpatched games, but titles with official Pro support typically have very stable framerates. Since the CPU will limit instances of framerate doubling, the extra Scorpio power won't have a lot of leeway to make fps improvements. I expect visual quality is where the gap will be more notable.

DF said Microsoft was gonna fine-tune the titles iirc, probably disabling the additional AF/Vsync option when needed. We don't know how sophisticated this will be, but I think it's safe to assume there won't be any games that end up running like they did on the Pro without Boost mode.
Some titles might be scaled back, but this seems to be equivalent to official support (i.e. examining the specific software and tailoring the upgrade). Mr. Leadbetter clearly said the worst case would be no changes at all, and I don't think we know enough to assume that will never happen. We actually know very little about this approach. For example, examining every game individually to adapt the boost will surely take Microsoft some time. How will the games run before profiling is done? Boosted but with problems, or unboosted?

televator

giphy.gif

MS, you got my money. Congratulations. For the first time in my life, I am excited for a current Xbox product.

MS, you got my money. Congratulations. For the first time in my life, I am excited for a current Xbox product.

wow, this is pretty huge news.

hopefully some cheap 27" 1080p gaming displays come out with this to replace my current halo monitor [BenQ gaming monitor with near-zero input lag].

[cause my current BenQ is useless for any games that run below 60fps]

Raide

Nice. Sucks there aren't any monitors or TV's that can use it currently though.

True but as this year carries on and into 2018, it gives new TV buyers a solid reason to upgrade if they already have a Scorpio or just have an interest is the best 4k console they can buy. A smart addition on Microsoft's part. I wonder what else they are keeping secret about?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I've been thinking about how Microsoft really hit things out of the park with this initial "reveal" lately. It was really smart of them to let Digital Foundry do the talking with first-hand information rather than leaks.

I'm really curious to see how they'll handle Scorpio's presence at E3 now. Sony already proved that doing a 1080p livestream isn't the best option to try showing off 4K content. Anyone have ideas for what they might do?

I'm kind of expecting them to only show Xbox One S footage on stage. They can then just mention a few ways that Scorpio can improve each game and point people towards the Scorpio version footage on Youtube etc...

The narrative/consensus about it being the most powerful console console is already out there. Them using DF lended credence to that regardless of how PR you may or may not have found their coverage.

They don't need to waste time on trying to "show it". They need to talk about games. Their Achilles heel right now is exclusives.

gamz

Is this a surprise to people?

I posted in a different thread that a dedicated event is all but guaranteed. I think Jez is also very confident in a dedicated event happening.

I have zero doubt. A dedicated event better happen! I love that kind of stuff.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Let me be clear, I am not expecting games to run at 20fps due to forced 16xAF. What I was saying is that 16xAF isn't free, so mandating it takes a modicum of balance control out of developers' hands. That doesn't sound ideal to me, but maybe they'll all be able to work around it. I'm not as smart as they are.

I do think lighting will be better designed in GTS, but the Scorpio power gap is big enough that overall appearance quality is very likely to be higher with Forza.

All this sounds eminently reasonable. The only thing I might quibble with is the statement that multiplats will probably run better on Scorpio than Pro. This should apply to unpatched games, but titles with official Pro support typically have very stable framerates. Since the CPU will limit instances of framerate doubling, the extra Scorpio power won't have a lot of leeway to make fps improvements. I expect visual quality is where the gap will be more notable.

Some titles might be scaled back, but this seems to be equivalent to official support (i.e. examining the specific software and tailoring the upgrade). Mr. Leadbetter clearly said the worst case would be no changes at all, and I don't think we know enough to assume that will never happen. We actually know very little about this approach. For example, examining every game individually to adapt the boost will surely take Microsoft some time. How will the games run before profiling is done? Boosted but with problems, or unboosted?

Maybe I misunderstood the DF reveal, but I thought the AF16 was something the hardware was going automatically? Basically coming at no cost to devs?

But again, maybe I misunderstood.

Theorry

Article says "slight change" tho.
I dont know. I think it was a mistake first to do one because there isnt much to say for a show. And now with stuff already out with DF and other sites. The chance is even less imo,
What are they gonna show? Price and the console. And thats it really.

Is this a surprise to people?

I posted in a different thread that a dedicated event is all but guaranteed. I think Jez is also very confident in a dedicated event happening.

I'll admit that a dedicated event would surprise me now. I thought it was a sure thing before we found out about the Digital Foundry coverage. After that, I convinced myself that they could get away with a quick announcement of price, release date, and what the box looks like right at the start of their E3 conference.

If they do show their hand before then, I'll be quite excited for whatever games they plan to show off at E3. That's a decent amount of time to just talk software.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Article says "slight change" tho.
I dont know. I think it was a mistake first to do one because there isnt much to say for a show. And now with stuff already out with DF and other sites. The chance is even less imo,
What are they gonna show? Price and the console. And thats it really.

I guessed before the DF reveal

1) DF reveal for tech specs
2) Dedicated small event or video for name, box and a few old games shown with improvements
3) E3 price, date new games

Maybe I misunderstood the DF reveal, but I thought the AF16 was something the hardware was going automatically? Basically coming at no cost to devs?

I think this is automatic at a system level only for BC and unpatched XB1 games. 16xAF will be an developer choice for games designed with Scorpio in mind, I assume.

What if at that event they come out with some more spec surprises.

Phil:
"Well we told you our story with Project Scorpio. We let industry professional tell you our specs and technical achievements in designing Project Scorpio. But, that's not all. *pause* I am proud to announce that our Xbox team has passed another goal and pushed this machine even further." *turns around to look at screen*

*crowd clenches buttocks*

Video:
"We pushed the limits. We put blood, sweat and tears in. This is everything we wanted. this is a beast." a number starts to fade in ... and them BAM *DROPS SOME DUBBYSTEP FUTURE BASS MONTAGE OF THE DESIGN BOX AND A BIG 7TF as a graphic overlay* *rest of specs follow to complete montage about the Scorpio Specs*

Crowd applauds and goes wild! Rick Flair "woos" occur. someone yells " Take my ENERGY!"
no one laughs

Phil:
"yes, that's right folks. Project Scorpio is now 7 TERA FLOPS of GPU power along with 326gbps bandwidth and 12Gb of fast GDDR5 Ram. Also including a 1tb ssd HDD and HDMI 2.1 that will allow Freesync and Variable Refresh Rate for the future ahead."

"Here at Xbox we listened to the community and we wanted to deliver to both the community and our developers who want to share their vision of their games. so under your seat you will have a surprise! EVERYONE GETS A FREE
HDMI CABLE to support HDMI 2.1 and a xbox store code to download a Scorpio t-shirt for your avatar!

wouldn't that be bonkers?

Well, if I'll get a free virtual T-shirt I am all in!

EDIT. But seriously, this machine is starting to look great. Maybe I will get my first XBox some day. Need some nice games for it, though.

Feature-wise this is a jackpot. And the nice surprises just keep coming. I love it how they've put some care in media hardware!

Well, it could easily be "no cost to the devs" in the sense that they won't suddenly get resources taken away from them, they'd be reserved from the start. It's just not "no cost to anyone"--it'll take some resources, no matter how efficient--so I wondered if it might be better to allow the devs to choose, rather than forcing it. But this...

I think this is automatic at a system level only for BC and unpatched XB1 games. 16xAF will be an developer choice for games designed with Scorpio in mind, I assume.
...would eliminate the problem. If it's only automatic for unpatched and legacy titles, that should be great across the board; they all obviously have plenty of room to spare on Scorpio. I was referring to new games, but it didn't occur to me that Digital Foundry didn't explicitly include those.

Hawk269

I think a more formal reveal is still needed. The majority of the hardcore gamers (people like us that read and post on Gaf) know about the specs, but the casual/slight hard core and casuals will not and even if they read the specs would not really understand fully. An event prior to E3 would be targeted to those people and also to the hardcore that want to see the receipts (actual game play). It would be wise that even though if they do a reveal that they give the direct feed footage to places like DF to run the numbers.

It is one thing Phil standing on a stage telling people it is 4k/60 or 4k/30 with added this and added that, but on stream it would be hard to see, so direct footage and web sites running analysis on the stuff would be great.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Phil:
"Well we told you our story with Project Scorpio. We let industry professional tell you our specs and technical achievements in designing Project Scorpio. But, that's not all. *pause* I am proud to announce that our Xbox team has passed another goal and pushed this machine even further." *turns around to look at screen*

Video:
"We pushed the limits. We put blood, sweat and tears in. This is everything we wanted. this is a beast." a number starts to fade in ... and them BAM *DROPS SOME DUBBYSTEP FUTURE BASS MONTAGE OF THE DESIGN BOX AND A BIG 7TF as a graphic overlay* *rest of specs follow to complete montage about the Scorpio Specs*

Crowd applauds and goes wild! Rick Flair "woos" occur. someone yells " Take my ENERGY!"
no one laughs

Phil:
"yes, that's right folks. Project Scorpio is now 7 TERA FLOPS of GPU power along with 326gbps bandwidth and 12Gb of fast GDDR5 Ram. Also including a 1tb ssd HDD and HDMI 2.1 that will allow Freesync and Variable Refresh Rate for the future ahead."

"Here at Xbox we listened to the community and we wanted to deliver to both the community and our developers who want to share their vision of their games. so under your seat you will have a surprise! EVERYONE GETS A FREE
HDMI CABLE to support HDMI 2.1 and a xbox store code to download a Scorpio t-shirt for your avatar!

bonkers along with the price.

Space_nut

I think a more formal reveal is still needed. The majority of the hardcore gamers (people like us that read and post on Gaf) know about the specs, but the casual/slight hard core and casuals will not and even if they read the specs would not really understand fully. An event prior to E3 would be targeted to those people and also to the hardcore that want to see the receipts (actual game play). It would be wise that even though if they do a reveal that they give the direct feed footage to places like DF to run the numbers.

It is one thing Phil standing on a stage telling people it is 4k/60 or 4k/30 with added this and added that, but on stream it would be hard to see, so direct footage and web sites running analysis on the stuff would be great.

That's a really good point I can see MS providing a lot of direct feed material to really showcase the graphics. That's something that would be amazing to have for every title shown at E3

Hawk269

That's a really good point I can see MS providing a lot of direct feed material to really showcase the graphics. That's something that would be amazing to have for every title shown at E3

Thanks. It is something that came out of the Sony presser for the Pro which was a disaster..trying to show HDR and checkboard 4k on a stream was not smart without having direct feed footage and a way to easily see HDR.

Proelite

Phil:

Video:

no one laughs

Phil:

I expect Phil to say that Jaguar and Polaris GPU were actually for the low end version of Scorpio. High end Scorpio is actually Zen, Vega + HBM2.

Price is $599 but everyone is onboard.

There exists an even beefier mythical Scorpio for $1199 that has GTX Titan SLI, but only the bravest and most loyal of all Xbox fans can hope to get a chance to buy it.

It's the blue pill.

Hawk269

What website is releasing a developers take on Scorpio tomorrow? I read about it at work, but don't recall what web site or what time it will take place at.

It's going to be Turn10 isn't it...

I never been to that site before and looking at it now, seems to be geared toward devs more than us plebs who armchair everything in the gaming business.

So maybe youre right or maybe its their team providing insight for what a dev would like to know. Either way, new scorpio nesws is fine by me!

Top Bottom