• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chantelise |OT| of Hammerballs, Faeries and Chantilly Lace

The official thread was created by PixyJunket

What is it?

Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters is an action-adventure game from EasyGameStation (developer) and Carpe Fulgur (localization and publisher). This combination previously brought you the Japanese indie gem Recetter: An Item Shop's Tale. Chantelise is a previous games from EasyGameStation.

It's pretty similar to the Ys series with less RPG elements (mainly lack of experience and levels). Character growth is mainly dependent on upgrading equipment. Defeated enemies drop gems and picking up gems allows you to use magic attacks, depending on the gems picked up. Otherwise, the game is rather hack and slashy. Really, if you've played any of the recent Ys games, it's sort of like that. Hack, hack, slash, KABOOM enemy bursts into loots. There are five dungeons in the game (along with a bonus dungeon or two). Taking a cue from Tower of Druaga, each sub-area in a dungeon has a hidden treasure and various special conditions much be met to unlock each one. Collecting all of these treasures may be worth your while.

When? Where? How Much?

Friday, July 29th on Steam and various other DD services.

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/70420/

GamersGate Link: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CHANTE/chantelise-a-tale-of-two-sisters

The game will be $8.99 during the first week of release before going to its normal $9.99 price.

Are there any impressions? (courtesy of Green Scar)

Yes, the fine folks at Rock, Paper, Shotgun posted their impressions of the title on July 27, 2011:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/27/impressions-chantelise/

I don't like words. Is there a trailer available?

Yes, there is a trailer available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4V-IXLEXQ

Is there a demo available? (courtesy of markot)

Yes, there is a demo available for download here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70420/
http://www.carpefulgur.com/chantelise/

Pretty Pretty Pictures

1231wrr.jpg

r0si8m.jpg

33athf7.jpg

Lopson

Neo Member
Oh, Carpe Fulgur, why must you taunt me with this game!

To be honest, I'm more excited about Fortune Summoners than this one, but nonetheless I intend to buy it as soon as I can. Looking forward to hear everyone else's opinion on this game.

Thanks for creating the thread.

I'm pretty excited to play this one in English. It's a lot of fun.

Also, I think once I finish it I may be due for a second run of Recettear. I thought I heard once that there were some (very loose) connections or something between the two games, although that could just have been my imagination. Either way, an excuse is an excuse. Chantelise and Recettear in the coming weeks for me.

Forkball

Uguu~

Looks like fun, I'll pick it up. I'm always interested to see indie Japanese games come to America. There must be a secret goldmine of untranslated indie JRPGs.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'll definitely pick this up. Not right now, but eventually. I'll always support non-ecchi Japanese PC games that are released on Steam.

Recettear was great.

PixyJunket said:
Thanks for creating the thread.

You are welcome!

Green Scar said:

Thanks, I added it to the OP!

PixyJunket said:
I haven't checked into it in a long time, but most indie games in Japan tends to be smaller projects like action games, fighters and shmups. Either that or when I was actually pursuing them I skipped over any RPGs due to the language barrier.

Also, here's the GamersGate link:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CHANTE/chantelise-a-tale-of-two-sisters

Added the GamersGate link.

I tried the demo with a keyboard and wasn't really feeling it... then I hooked up my PS3 controller. Night and day. I'll definitely be taking the plunge on this, I love what Carpe Fulgur is doing.

Card Boy

Banned
I think i will wait for a sale, i got a backlog to clear out. I still haven't touched Reccettear after buying during the Indie Story bundle for $5 ages back.

Gez said:
I think i will wait for a sale, i got a backlog to clear out. I still haven't touched Reccettear after buying during the Indie Story bundle for $5 ages back.

You're a bad person for not playing Recettear.
I hope you never get the final payment in your first run :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm ashamed that I think the game is too ugly to play. If your 3D is that bad, just stick to 2D - the sprites are quite nice. Guess I've also never been a sprite/3D fan anyway.

Card Boy

Banned
Lyphen said:
I'm ashamed that I think the game is too ugly to play. If your 3D is that bad, just stick to 2D - the sprites are quite nice. Guess I've also never been a sprite/3D fan anyway.

Andrew, Robin and Nicholas (Carpe Fulgur) don't develop games, they just translate bring them to new audiences. Recettear, Fortune Summoners and this are old games released in Japan a few ago.

peakish

Welp, I bought it but Windows won't boot on my damn laptop any more. Sigh. Guess I'll get the chance to pick up a gamepad before playing though.

Ledsen

Tried the demo, didn't like it much, seemed pretty repetitive. Also weirdly enough, I had fps drops, for example in front of the fortune teller's hut. Framedrops in a game with these kind of graphics? Come on.

"This game will unlock in approximately 2 hours."

Yay! Except I'll be at the water park this afternoon getting sunburns.

BUT AFTER THAT.

Loved reccetear so I was excited for this. After trying the demo, not so much.

The combat system is weak and are not helped by the controls. I'l pass

PixyJunket said:
English screenshots, if crimsonheadGCN wants to replace the ones from HG101.
1231wrr.jpg

So, Focus Staff went down from 3000pix on Chantelise to 500pix on Recettear. This is bs, utter bs. They drop more than slimes.

Hngh, still not sure if I want it. The price is pretty good and I kinda just want to support the cause, but the demo was just a little too bland for my taste.

Ceebs

slaughterking said:
Hngh, still not sure if I want it. The price is pretty good and I kinda just want to support the cause, but the demo was just a little too bland for my taste.
Same here. The camera bothered me to no end as well. I may just gift a copy of Recettear to someone instead.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Gonna buy when I get home. Gotta support this kind of stuff on steam. Buy it nubs!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What the hell do you do in the first village? I past the tutorial, had dinner at the item shop, now it tells me to talk to the villagers about a witch. I talked to every single one of them, and they all gave me no info. No idea what to do now.

FlyinJ said:
What the hell do you do in the first village? I past the tutorial, had dinner at the item shop, now it tells me to talk to the villagers about a witch. I talked to every single one of them, and they all gave me no info. No idea what to do now.

Go back to the shop.

FlyinJ said:

You need to go to the hut right across the inn. It will have a door you can interact with.

Hint: You can go to the inn and buy stuff.

You may need to go to the inn before though.

IIRC: you need to talk to the villagers first, then go to the inn, then go to the hut.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Obsessed said:
IIRC: you need to talk to the villagers first, then go to the inn, then go to the hut.

Ok, I walked outside, talked to every villager through their whole spiel, walked around and none of the other doors were active. I went back into the shop, talked to the shop keeper through about 5-6 entries, went outside, and still none of the doors were active.

Top Bottom