• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chantelise |OT| of Hammerballs, Faeries and Chantilly Lace

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I walked outside, talked to every villager through their whole spiel, walked around and none of the other doors were active. I went back into the shop, talked to the shop keeper through about 5-6 entries, went outside, and still none of the doors were active.

You aren't going to the hut right across the inn.

Otherwise your game is busted and I'd recommend going on their forum and asking for support.

Also does anyone know where the save data is saved in the demo? I'm looking to transfer my save over to the Steam version and I can't find save.dat or whatever it is called.

Obsessed said:
Also does anyone know where the save data is saved in the demo? I'm looking to transfer my save over to the Steam version and I can't find save.dat or whatever it is called.

In Windows 7, I found it here:

C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Chantelise_demo

(After searching the entire hard disk :p)

HiddenAway said:
In Windows 7, I found it here:

C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Chantelise_demo

(After searching the entire hard disk :p)

I don't seem to have a file called AppData.

I've found a folder called Chantelise_demo which is how I launch the game, but there is no save file in there.

Meh... I'll just have to replay the tutorial bullshit for a third time.

NIN90

Obsessed said:
I don't seem to have a file called AppData.

I've found a folder called Chantelise_demo which is how I launch the game, but there is no save file in there.

Meh... I'll just have to replay the tutorial bullshit for a third time.

It's a hidden folder IIRC. You'll have to activate hidden folders first.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
slaughterking said:
The game is currently the fourth best-selling title on Steam. So it's doing not bad I guess.
Capitalism, Ho!

Sigh. I'm having to go through an insurance hassle today, making several calls (some guy rear ended me and his insurance company is denying the claim saying I am at 50% fault) so I haven't gotten to start yet. And quite frankly I'm in a rage inducing mood so I need to calm down before I can even think about playing.

I really wanted to spend my weekend enjoying this and I'm not going to be able to now.

Time for a beer. Sorry for the side rant.

Soule

Wouldn't have known it was out if it were not for this thread. Purchased, although my backlog is quite long after the fun I had in Recettear I'll definitely prioritise this.

Luigi87

PixyJunket said:
Are in-game screenshots via Steam working for anybody?

I have overlay access but I can't take screenshots.

Working for me.
My screenshot key is F10, just in case this could be a reason it may not be working for you.

slaughterking said:
The game is currently the fourth best-selling title on Steam. So it's doing not bad I guess.

Do they do it by number of copies sold or revenue?

Also the fire elemental enemies (that explode) show how awful the health bars are for enemies. It is a light green on grey. I can't tell how much damage I've done to an enemy. It isn't a big deal for most enemies, but since one magic attack doesn't do enough to kill the fire elementals it kind of does matter.

Zerokku said:

4th is pretty impressive then.

tiff

Banned
Oh, it's out now? Totally snuck up on me. I was thinking about giving the demo another shot (I had neglected to actually use the item shop first time around) but I guess I'll just go straight to the full version :p

Luigi87 said:
Working for me.
My screenshot key is F10, just in case this could be a reason it may not be working for you.
Yeah, I even tried changing my screenshot key.

It's also not logging any play time. And there's no icon for the game. Strange. But minor, I guess.

Luigi87

PixyJunket said:
Yeah, I even tried changing my screenshot key.

It's also not logging any play time. And there's no icon for the game. Strange. But minor, I guess.

Definitely a Steam issue then. All features are functioning here.
Is your client up to date?

Nishastra

Banned
tiff said:
Oh, it's out now? Totally snuck up on me.
I was sitting on the store page, waiting. Bought it the very moment it became available!

I haven't had a chance to play much yet. I keep forgetting that I can jump. For some reason it feels to me like the kind of game where you can't :p

The line "Holy granola!" amused me greatly. I really don't know why. Also, I had to groan at "Stop! Hammerball!"

Beat the first boss on the first try, but I think I got lucky. Also I died once before I got to him so I got buy some shit. His jump thing is difficult to dodge consistently.

So far seems kind of slight. I hope it opens up soon or I won't be able to recommend it. Overall, though, so far it's a reasonably engaging dungeon grinder. I don't mind the graphics but the lack of V-sync gets on my nerves.

Do not buy this if you don't have a joypad to play it with.

Does anyone know if you can switch which spell to cast? Seems kind of weird that you can't do that.

Conciliator said:
Does anyone know if you can switch which spell to cast? Seems kind of weird that you can't do that.

You can't. I'm kind of hoping that later in the game you unlock the ability to switch the gems around.

frequency

Just wanted to post to say "thanks" for helping me to find this game. I don't regularly check Steam for releases so I would've missed it. I'm loving it so far.

I can't help but wish this was on the PSP though. I felt the same way about Recettear.
I think I'll have to learn how to hook up my PS3 controller to my PC.

Nabs

frequency said:
Just wanted to post to say "thanks" for helping me to find this game. I don't regularly check Steam for releases so I would've missed it. I'm loving it so far.

I can't help but wish this was on the PSP though. I felt the same way about Recettear.
I think I'll have to learn how to hook up my PS3 controller to my PC.
MotionJoy. Do it.

Gvaz

Banned
Since this doesn't seem to be the same game as recettear and has the same poor combat, I think I just might wait for a deal on steam or when it's in a pack.

Tried the demo. Pretty fun. Combat isn't super great, but I'm intrigued. Probably won't get to it for a while with my backlog, but I want to support Carpe Fulgur, so I'm buying it now.

Gvaz said:
Since this doesn't seem to be the same game as recettear and has the same poor combat, I think I just might wait for a deal on steam or when it's in a pack.

I'd say the combat is more interesting than Recettear's, but worse in terms of control.

I liked what I've played so far. It's not as good as receatter, especially the controls but it's still a fun dungeon crawler. It's great that they got the european pricing right instead of doing a 1$=1€ conversion.

donarumo

Neo Member
So, every time I die I have to walk through the entire level to get to the next stage or did I miss something? I just started playing and I'm trying to get to the fortune teller.

Seems like really bad game design if I have walk through the entire level every time I die.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Still on the fence, dont take this personally, but the impression I got was that this game looks like the grinding combat portion of an mmo from the screens and vids I've seen so far.

I loved Recettear, but other than supporting the devs to give them more money to make games like Recettear I dont quite see why I should play Chantelise.

Could anyone enlighten me, why this game is better than what I see when looking at the vids? I really want to like and buy it, but the fence is high.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Toma said:
Still on the fence, dont take this personally, but the impression I got was that this game looks like the grinding combat portion of an mmo from the screens and vids I've seen so far.

I loved Recettear, but other than supporting the devs to give them more money to make games like Recettear I dont quite see why I should play Chantelise.

Could anyone enlighten me, why this game is better than what I see when looking at the vids? I really want to like and buy it, but the fence is high.
Give the demo a shot

Spacedrake posted on the SA forums saying he was very pleased with Chantelise's first day sales.

So yay yayifications, I guess.

Stitch

Gold Member
If an item says [Treasure] it means that it is pretty much useless and can be sold, right?
Because I totally need money for items... first dungeon is already too hard lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really, if you've played any of the recent Ys games, it's sort of like that.

Will buy this! Although not yet... I've kind of blown my gaming budget for now, and then I still have Xenoblade coming next month...

But I will buy this!

donarumo said:
So, every time I die I have to walk through the entire level to get to the next stage or did I miss something? I just started playing and I'm trying to get to the fortune teller.

Seems like really bad game design if I have walk through the entire level every time I die.

It helps a bit in that you don't have to reclear entire rooms if you have cleared them once. The doors will start unlocked.

Toma said:

There is a demo. Try it and see if you like it. Recettear was by far the better game (Chantelise is older though) but I found Chantelise fun enough to warrant a purchase.

Stitch said:
If an item says [Treasure] it means that it is pretty much useless and can be sold, right?
Because I totally need money for items... first dungeon is already too hard lol

For now it seems the only thing you can do with treasures is sell them.

Joe Molotov said:
Geez louise, the first boss is a bitch. I've got 60hp and two shields equipped, and I still couldn't beat it.
I think the first boss does magic damage, so talismans reduce damage more than shields do. At least, that was my experience.

tiff

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Spacedrake posted on the SA forums saying he was very pleased with Chantelise's first day sales.

So yay yayifications, I guess.
Yayness! I know Recettear's success gave them quite a bit of breathing room but I was still worried that this would suffer from the lack of a really unique hook like Recettear had.

PixyJunket said:
I think the first boss does magic damage, so talismans reduce damage more than shields do. At least, that was my experience.
Eh, I was wrong, I just went back to it and it's definitely physical damage.

Sciz

Three bosses in so far.

Combat in general has the same balance philosophy as Recettear in that you can gear for really good magic defense or really good physical defense but not both at once, so dodging damage entirely is always top priority because taking hits hurts. The jump dodge is pretty nice for that, fortunately. Combat also got much more satisfying once I unlocked three-gem spells, which are deliciously dangerous and feature an invaluable heal.

I'm still not sure what the trick to the first boss is (has to do with the gems, but god knows how you're supposed to dodge that leap). The next two were very satisfying to figure out and beat. Being able to just run straight through the dungeon to get back is also a welcome design decision.

Gear is awfully expensive now though, and your cash intake doesn't seem to increase much over time (money also despawns much too quickly for my tastes). The auto-collect item is nice, but then it takes up a precious inventory slot. The effect of new gear is immediately noticeable though, so that's nice.

Another fun thing is that the environments do occasionally contain secrets. If you find a silver enemy, kill it and a treasure chest spawns. There's at least one instance where getting to a semi-hidden spot reveals a chest as well.

Obsessed said:
How the hell do I even damage the
Volcano Crab

There's no way to get magic and my sword does nothing.
You have to attack it from the front. Though it doesn't seem to do a lot of damage.
Joe Molotov said:
Geez louise, the first boss is a bitch. I've got 60hp and two shields equipped, and I still couldn't beat it.
Use dodge. Everytime he lifts up his right arm start running left and dodge just before he tries to hit you and when he lifts his left arm you run to the right. When he jumps up start running away and then dodge just before he comes down.

Asparagus

Bwahaha, it works, my save WORKS! Fighting
Elise shadow boss and it no longer crashes, it also goes on longer with two of them and I keep getting owned.
. Trying to collect 3 ice gems to heal is hard with all the shit that's going on towards the end of that fight >.<

-edit-
Actually they weren't too bad once I got back into the grove, I think I'm at the final boss now.

Joe Molotov

PixyJunket said:
Are in-game screenshots via Steam working for anybody?

I have overlay access but I can't take screenshots.

Screenshots are working for me but....they're all set to private. When I try to change them to public, it says there was an error and I'm not allowed to do that. That's weird.

Stitch

Gold Member
first boss isn't actually so hard. after dying a few times i was able to beat him like this:

make sure that you already have leather gloves and a wooden shield + enough HP. i have 100 but it should be no problem with 60-70HP

run through the dungeon. ignore all the enemies. when you see the 2 skeletons, stop ignoring the enemies and kill the little slimes. now grab the orange gems and only the orange gems. grab as many as you can.

when you have enough orange gems start ignoring the enemies again and run to the boss.

when the boss fight starts activate 2 gems. that will give you super armor. now just hit the boss over and over again until he's dead :) oh and get the treasure before he's dead

Top Bottom