• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Characters with High and Low IQ

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There are characters that you know what their IQ is, that do ridiculous things or due to programming problems, you see that in a video game they are dumb.

768px-Pac-Man.svg.png

For example, Pacman has an IQ of 40.

Crash has an IQ of 78

91IdEyj5C1L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

While Miharu of tekken is always failing exams, she has an IQ less than 85.

ro4af1mllqt61.jpg

Demonstrated to Paul as one of the dumbest characters. of IQ 84 or less

Dvx5WoaBuwCJc2NjzC6879Gi9Bn0endB.png

Or the protagonist of Kingdom Come Deliverance Henry, his IQ is lower than that of a cucumber.
Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Henry-Brother-Gregor-monks-1-e1618458592878.jpg

Chris Redfield went from a field agent with some good perception skills and intelligence to a complete fucking knuckle dragger.

GymWolf

If I’m reading the OP correctly, here’s an example:

Hal Emmerich in the MGS series is said to be incredibly smart, but in nearly every game he’s in he either does dumb things or says dumb things.
Yeah but he made that tlou ingame ia example that threw me off.

It seems like he is mixing various things, from look to actual ingame ia to plot stuff...

Alebrije

IQ on videogames is useless, at the end NPCs. Do stupid stuff or behave below it's supposse IQ because programmers know would be imposible for players to kill them.

Kat from Gravity Rush is very intelligent, but she has great nobility and heart.
I think he is saying your in-game AI videos are what throws him off, because that technically shouldn’t count due to too many factors(like difficulty and glitches/mishaps).

In which case I would agree and therefore did not count it myself.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think he is saying your in-game AI videos are what throws him off, because that technically shouldn’t count due to too many factors(like difficulty and glitches/mishaps).

In which case I would agree and therefore did not count it myself.
Rather, it is what the characters are like, the sentences they make or knowledge.

Otacon is one of the most intelligent characters of MGS

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Edge1_400x400.jpg

This dude is probably in the 60s

- somehow gets made captain of the Calnus because the actual captain broke his arm

- accidentally flies his space ship into a black hole

- gives away the antimatter crystal that powers his ship to some obviously evil nazi lady

- blows up planet Earth

SHA

Im so retarded that when I was a kid and didnt understand english at all, I thought that Neo Cortex was Napoleon.

so to answer OP's question, Link, from the zelda series, must be a dumbass.
Couldn't tell actually, they started talking after 20+ years. But swordsmen historicaly speaking aren't stupid, it's the opposite, they just don't talk much or communicate more often.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If I’m reading the OP correctly, here’s an example:

Hal Emmerich in the MGS series is said to be incredibly smart, but in nearly every game he’s in he either does dumb things or says dumb things.
Most people confuse knowledge with Intelligence.
In this case Snake is more intelligent then Hal, but Hal is more knowledgeable in his field.
Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) has an IQ of 178
Zuckerberg has an IQ of 152
you wouldn't think it
IQ numbers mean nothing

Last edited:

SHA

I'm too low iq to understand what op is asking or what?

Kat looks pretty dumb tho

A17160a4d0eb54c01bf01f36dd90506314.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp
It's not about being predictable, watch Dr. Jordan Peterson, he said they're totally different persons, there is nothing wrong or right about either of them.

SHA

In this case Snake is more intelligent then Hal, but Hal is more knowledgeable in his field.
you wouldn't think it
IQ numbers mean nothing
Yes, it has nothing to do with QOL.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gordon Freeman is supossed to be this super smart theoretical physicist, even wears glasses, yet the dude spends 2 games and 3 expansions just following orders, pushes a cart with some rock into a laser beam sending mankind to it's doom in the process, and the dude can't even fuck Alyx when it's clear that the gal goes wet the moment she sees him.

I think he's retarded.

you wouldn't think it
IQ numbers mean nothing
Yes, it has nothing to do with QOL.
Very true, I wasn't sure how else to answer OP's question though. He's essentially asking for characters who don't physically and verbally reflect their stated IQ level.

SHA

Very true, I wasn't sure how else to answer OP's question though. He's essentially asking for characters who don't physically and verbally reflect their stated IQ level.
There are given facts about IQ like in incent or modern sagas, there is absolutely no doubt about their wisdoms. If you take every playable character and see how they get through all their complex problems, then the character is obviously smart 'like in western RPGs for example'.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There are tons of seemingly stupid characters in video games along with the normal folks and the geniuses. I think they have a good, relatively believable mix going.

When you are the dim bulb / underachiever type you gravitate to the characters that seem absurdly smarter than you because there is hope in that. The characters that seem dumber than you scare the crap out of you because it doesn't seem like that should be possible.

Top Bottom