• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charter DNS server is down - Are you being affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

Anyone else having issues with your Charter internet? It looks like their DNS server is down and it is causing nation wide outages everywhere. They are either getting so slammed with calls that it shut their phone system down, or the shut it down manually while they deal with it, because when you call any of their numbers you just get a busy signal.

However, if you change your DNS to the Google public DNS your internet starts working again. See here...

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

My speed has been faster than ever since I had to do that, so I'm sorta glad it happened.

Here is an outage map of some sort I just found on Twitter...

Bvw2FMeCEAAHJl0.jpg

butzopower

proud of his butz
I am affected and I don't know about Google DNS. Wait, how am I posting in here then?

This is almost like a "Is GAF down for you" thread.

Downhome

Ok this explains all my woes over the last couple hours.

GAF is about the only thing that IS working for me.

It's really weird. I was taking some practice tests preparing for a big test I have coming up in insurance, and THAT site was working perfect for me, but nothing else would load at all.

Timeless

Google DNS: Google gets to know every single website you go to, whether you're logged in to Google or not.
OpenDNS: The same thing, but with a company less likely to use your personal information for advertising.

Fuck Charter.

No, seriously, FUCK CHARTER.

So happy I moved an don't have them anymore. Easily the shittiest ISP I've ever had. They throttle the internet speeds literally every single night. Around 11pm or so, speed routinely go down to about 0.3 - 0.5 mbps.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
LOL. Clicked this thread.. internet stopped working.

The fuck. Thank you Google DNS <3

scurker

OpenDNS is better.

OpenDNS IP Addresses

It's not if you don't like NXDomain hijacking. What that means is if a domain is non-existant, instead of returning the standard non-existent domain response, a page is returned either with their own search results or ads. Google doesn't do it, and I'm pretty sure Verizon's DNS servers don't do it either.

But just in case, you don't have those:

Verizon DNS - 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6
Google DNS - 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

I've been using Google DNS for the past couple of years with Charter, so I've never had problems. I didn't even realize there was an outage today until I saw this thread.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yess fucking damn, I'm glad it's not just me. Is there some way to fix this or do I have to wait on Charter? Nvm finished reading the OP lol

Haha holy shit it worked! I feel like I have superpowers

My internet is also down for the most part. Can't browse on my PC or connect with anything else like a phone or console. But apparently steam is still online and I just played Ultra Street Fighter 4 for over an hour. Right now I'm using 4g on my phone to type this because I figured their would be something on GAF about this so I had to check.

Yup, shit crashed around 4 here and has been down ever since.

Every once in a while I can get a connection for a second but its 10Kb download 5Kb upload lol.

Downhome

Ha, I forgot that after I change it on my PC I need to change it on everything else too. I'm totally back up and running now.

Whoa, you guys are right. GAF is the only thing that still works. I just tried it and I'm typing from my PC this time. The only other website I would want more than GAF would be Youtube.

*a few seconds later*

Oh shit, it works. Well I'm good until they resolve this, GAF and Youtube will get me through this post internet apocalypse world.

BJK

I was affected; thank you to the Google DNS instructions.

...may change back after Charter gets its shit together, just because I don't like Google tracking everything I do (instead of tracking almost everything) online.

Hale-XF11

Charter was out all day today for me.

At one point, when it came back on for a short bit, I did a quick search for "charter internet outage" and one of the top links lead me to info about Google's DNS servers.

Bam, now I'm back online and no issues for the past 3 hours. I might just stick with it.

This is why we need even less ISP; these small ones are just unreliable. The internet would be better if there were just two or three big ISPs running things.

I imagine some suit would actually argue this

Thank you for posting this thread! I was wondering why everything worked just fine when I turned on my VPN. It started happening when I needed to submit my notes for a project. I would have probably missed out on future gigs if I didn't turn on my VPN to finish the work in time!

Aeana

Join the Comcast master race you plebs
If someone has Charter, they probably don't have Comcast as an option. Most places have a duopoly with whatever phone company and whatever cable company offering internet, and that's all.

Piano

Banned
If someone has Charter, they probably don't have Comcast as an option. Most places have a duopoly with whatever phone company and whatever cable company offering internet, and that's all.

I was kidding. I would jump ship from Comcast in a heartbeat if I had any choice :(
It's either Comcast or DSL around this neck of the woods.

Hale-XF11

I live in a rural area where Charter has a monopoly on cable. My other option is Dish, but uh, no thanks. Not with all the funky weather we get here.

Marvie_3

Banned
I have Charter. Fucking hate them. Can't wait to move so I don't have to deal with them anymore. Google DNS has been working like a charm for me though.

Charturd is the worst. Our internet went out a few hours ago and I was confused as it hadn't rained today. After checking the calendar, I realized that today was a day that ended in Y, verifying that of course the internet would drop out and Sharter would be providing terrible overpriced service

Einbroch

Banned
As someone who had Charter for six years, then moved to an area that is only Comcast...

Charter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Comcast

Dicer

Banned
I've used Comcast for many many years and have never experienced anything like that.

I lives in MA, had it happen here and there, moved up to NH, and now almost every evening, I get lag checked neighbors channels, made sure I was on a unique on, switched hardware, same issue...

I gotta deal with it, because the alternative is worse.

Tirod

Oh man, thank goodness for this thread I thought I was going crazy. Was trying to get my PS4 running to do some daily stuff in FF XIV and I couldn't get past the initial log-in with my PSN ID upon powering the console.

Most of my other electronics with Wi-Fi don't work, and I can only open webpages on my laptops after numerous and horrendously slow attempts.

Hope this gets fixed soon. /:

Jerrod

OpenDNS is better.

OpenDNS IP Addresses

I was just about to call Charter too, this shit has been bothering me all day but I figured it would fix itself but Neogaf randomly loaded for me and I saw this thread and bam I have internet now. Thank you!!!

Vyroxis

Banned
I have Charter, and for the issues that they do have internet wise I would gladly take them over Comcast, or shitty DSL service. I would say about well over 95% of the time their service for me is awesome.

Also, thank god for Google DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom