• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chartered and MS Sign 65NM Manufacturing Agreement for X360 CPU

Sorry if Old!

Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing shares was up 4
cents at $10.11 in after-hours trading Thursday. After the closing bell, the
company said it signed an agreement with Microsoft Corp. to manufacture CPU
products for Microsoft's Xbox 360 game consoles. Financial terms were not
disclosed. Production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2007.
Separately, Chartered Semiconductor also said it has licensed the 90-nanometer
Silicon-on-Insulator technology from International Business Machines . Financial
terms were not disclosed. Singapore-based Chartered said the agreement allows it
to expand its use of the technology to areas such as consumer, multimedia,
communications, automotive and industrial applications.

Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing CHRT (SGX-ST:CHARTERED), one of the world's top dedicated semiconductor foundries, has signed an agreement with Microsoft for the manufacturing of CPU products -- using 65-nanometer (nm) Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) semiconductor technology -- for Microsoft's Xbox 360 game consoles. Production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2007, and will support the Xbox 360's growing demand and expanding market reach. The announcement follows Chartered's successful manufacturing of 90nm SOI CPU products for the Xbox 360 console's launch, through an agreement with IBM.

"We look forward to working with Chartered on the production of such an important component of our Xbox 360 system," said Larry Yang, General Manager of Xbox Console Development at Microsoft. "Chartered's ability to demonstrate the manufacturability of IBM's advanced SOI technology in Fab 7 was key to our selection. We plan to continue with our strategy of dual sourcing from Chartered and IBM's fabs, which are operationally aligned and compatible, to give us the consistent product quality and flexibility we will need."

"We are excited to expand our manufacturing relationship with Microsoft and leverage the innovative 65nm SOI technology made available to us through our agreement with IBM," said Kay Chai "KC" Ang, senior vice president of fab operations at Chartered. "This is both a recognition of Chartered's 300mm manufacturing excellence and increasing customer confidence in our ability to enable cutting-edge technologies as products transition to 65nm. By working closely with IBM to enable manufacturing compatibility and dual-sourcing capability, our goal is to continue to be a reliable manufacturing source to Microsoft."

"Together, Chartered and IBM offer a unique dual source capability that delivers superior redundancy and flexibility," said Jim Comfort, vice president, Microsoft Client Executive, IBM. "Chartered's decision to adopt our advanced Silicon on Insulator technology at 65nm is further evidence of the success of the IBM/Chartered Common Platform strategy."

Furoba

GhaleonEB said:
By definition, going from 90nm to 65nm. :p

Should translate to sharply reduced chip costs, something that never showed up for the original system.

And hopefully less heat production. ;p

hadareud

The Translator
I might have to buy a new 360 in 2007 then. Only if they put a quieter DVD drive in that is, my 360 gets hardly warm so I couldn't care less about the chips really.

But yeah, that should save them a lot of money.

GhaleonEB

mashoutposse said:
Preparation for 2007 price drop...?
I don't think they'll move in lock-step. I'll be surprised if we don't have one at or before the PS3 launch.

Furoba said:
And hopefully less heat production. ;p
Yeah, the upstairs of our house has been pretty warm at night. That's when I play the 360. Coincidence? I think not.

Top Bottom