• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chelsea Boots: Yay or Nay?

Originally popular in the 1960s, in the past few years the chelsea boot has become the thing to put on your feet according to many fashion-forward dudes.

Commonly seen in leather:

...and suede:

In my experience chelseas are incredibly divisive. Some love them, some hate them, some find them totally boring. They're definitely more feminine-looking than the average boot a man would wear, which is an instant turn-off for some people, but for me that just sort of adds to the appeal.

Personally, as a skinny dude who likes to wear skinny (but not skin-tight) pants, I think they're pretty cool. When you have super thin legs, it's hard to wear boots without them looking like clown shoes, and the slim profile of the chelsea really helps to mitigate this issue. The narrow opening at the ankle also means it's easy to tuck them into jeans/pants with small leg openings, which is a definite plus in my book.

Here's a picture of a regular guy from a fashion forum pulling them off well (IMO):

What are your thoughts, GAF? I'm interested to see what kind of reception they'll get on a gaming (AKA not fashion-focused) forum.

jtb

Banned
yay yay yay

are they the best kind of boots? no

but it doesn't hurt to have a pair or two in your wardrobe

aBarreras

i like them, but that guy that you say is pulling them off, is totally not pulling them off, they look weird on that color

This thread made me think of Socks the cat.
(Socks being worn on the foot, and Socks the cat being Chelsea's [and the Clinton's in general])

I miss Socks.
He used to send me Christmas cards.

RIP Socks.

EDIT: Also for consideration:

11094450-4f17-11e4-8341-d9c8f635966c.jpg

Desert boots are less tryhard. Chelsea boots are good for slightly more dressy antics.

clarks 4 life

I think these look cool but you have to be kinda tall and skinny to pull them off .. maybe a musician

the suede looks much better than the leather in the op

They are cool but they a bitch to clean if you get anything on them, with or without protectant.

Also feel a little played out now with the stone wash ripped jeans thing. You'll look good, but it's becoming the guy flower crown or romper.

Gnome

I don't like them. They look like wannabe cowboys boots, but without being cool or good looking.

I honestly had to look up what these even were. lol

Cowboy boots are cool? I can understand if you're actually a cowpoke or something. But if you're not, I wouldn't say they're cool.

Belker

I just got a new pair of Chelsea boots from Lands' End. I bought them because I wanted something BIFL and I'd heard good things about Lands' End's lifetime warranty.

I've been wearing Chelsea boots for a good while, now. I like them because I don't have to think about laces and they're suitable for casual wear and offices.

I miss velcro shoes. I like the look of tank boots.

EDIT

No tucking. Chelsea boots. Boot cut jeans.

Nay.

Chelsea boots are for folks who think they're fashionable but don't know how to find good brogues for their attire.

You may as well go to Foot Locker, get some Nike Air, and wear plain grey sweats and whatever baggy workout shirt you have -- you'll just be as stylish when wearing Chelsea's.

Nay.

Chelsea boots are for folks who think they're fashionable but don't know how to find good brogues for their attire.

You may as well go to Foot Locker, get some Nike Air, and wear plain grey sweats and whatever baggy workout shirt you have -- you'll just be as stylish when wearing Chelsea's.

all i get from this post is that your favorite boots are brogues and you think all other boots are inferior

SDCowboy

Nay.

I had to look up what a brogue boot was too (I'm not into fashion if you couldn't tell lol). I think I like those more.

Top Bottom