• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chess wunderkind Trump threatens Comey on Twitter

giga

Speaker Ryan on today's news:
C_qAkomXoAAK5ke.jpg

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/863143647449141248

Live look at Paul Ryan's testicles:

Chris R

The logic from Trump supporters is twisting me into so many pretzels.

I legitimately heard this today... "Trump issued the not-so veiled threat so he could get the Democrats to subpoena any tapes, that would then prove the CIA or FBI were illegally wiretapping the oval office, and that those tapes would then prove he has zero involvement with Russia"

If only we could get Trump under oath. He'd be 100% fucked.

There's no way he or the people around him would let that happen though.

I legitimately heard this today... "Trump issued the not-so veiled threat so he could get the Democrats to subpoena any tapes, that would then prove the CIA or FBI were illegally wiretapping the oval office, and that those tapes would then prove he has zero involvement with Russia"

The spin from /pol/ is that Trump is making sure known liar James Comey doesn't tell any more lies, since he was apparently lying about Donald asking him for a pledge of loyalty. Also that Comey lied about prosecuting Hillary, since no indictment was made.

Still would need to prove he lied. Even then you still need Congress onside iirc.

We can prove he's lied, repeatedly. That's the easy part. But lying isn't illegal, or enough for the GOP to turn on Trump.

Perjury though? There's precedent there.

Dipshit.

Trump's overall behaviour will continue to worsen due to the absence of any immediate consequences and, more practically, due to the absence of any significant dissent from GOP clowns.

He's also becoming more and more insular. Note his noises about getting rid of the White House press briefing. He wants to ignore all the critics, and just talk to the sycophants he surrounds himself with, and the voters who believe anything he says (which will continue to be a very slowly evaporating pool of people).

It's only going to make him worse, as he further separates himself from reality. Hopefully he keeps tweeting though.

With regards to Paul Ryan's spew, just because James Comey was an at will employee of the President doesn't mean that the President can fire him for *ANY* reason.

Like, if Trump made a pass at him, and Comey turned him down... the President couldn't fire him for that reason. Because there are still rules and laws that apply to at will employees. So yeah, the notion that the reason Trump fired Comey shouldn't be looked at because the President has the authority to fire the FBI Director...

Well it's a completely wrong notion is what it is.

devilhawk

I wonder how involved him and McConnell are in this. Surely he realizes that he becomes president if the Russia stuff is true, unless of course he isn't clean.
In a practical sense, when would the best time to be elevated into office that would give the best opportunity to be reelected? If Ryan does have sights on the White House it is an interesting question.

Joe

Lawfare: When Questions of Norms Become Questions of Law
It can be granted the President is not threatening Mr. Comey to stop him from testifying in a congressional proceeding, to investigators, or to a grand jury. However, Mr. Trump appears not to understand that he is drawing a certain picture of himself, which is neither pretty nor without consequence for his legal position.
The picture that Mr. Trump has managed to create so far consists of the following:

• The admission that he sought repeated assurances about his legal exposure in an ongoing criminal investigation
  • The pursuit of those reassurances at a time when he was quite actively holding open the possibility that Mr. Comey might not hold onto his job. (Apparently one of these conversations took place over dinner—as it was being served, was the President making it clear that Mr. Comey might have “to sing for his supper”?)
  • The admission that in firing Mr. Comey, he was moved decisively by his frustration over the FBI's handling of the Russia probe investigation.
  • The President's repeated very public statements, heard by all, including those charged with investigating the matter, that he views the Russia probe as having no merit. Responsible for the faithful execution of the laws and the integrity of the system of justice, Mr. Trump has chosen to actively dispute the basis for an ongoing FBI investigation that affects his interests.
  • The repeated adjustments to the story the White House originally told about the circumstances surrounding the decision to dismiss Mr.Comey. As noted in the earlier posting, it is not advantageous to somebody under suspicion to be altering his story—or, in this case, changing it in every material detail.
What is most remarkable is that the President has willingly created this self-portrait. As scandals-in-the-making go, this one may become famous for featuring the President as the principal witness against himself: he seems committed to uncovering any cover-up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There is another option, that Trump was taping and Comey didn't know, and whatever was said on the tapes would contradict what Comey is saying now. Thus Trump would be using it as a threat, "I hope you don't start leaking shit cause I have tapes that go against what you're leaking".

Yes, that was what I was getting at by trying to disprove the inverse. That reading, that Trump is implying he has a secret tape that contradicts Comey, is the only real one.

I was thinking something along these lines myself.

Even if we take him at his word (and his word is clearly false with regards to what went on at that dinner) then he's in trouble.

If he's lying to us and giving us false versions of events... then he's in trouble.

Interesting article though. Thank you for sharing.

It's not about what he's saying...it's about what's in his heart.

Yes, that was what I was getting at by trying to disprove the inverse. That reading, that Trump is implying he has a secret tape that contradicts Comey, is the only real one.
The other thing to consider is that if Trump does have a tape and didn't tell Comey beforehand, he just illegally wiretapped someone.

The other thing to consider is that if Trump does have a tape and didn't tell Comey beforehand, he just illegally wiretapped someone.

So, they should subpoena him for the tapes and force him to admit there aren't any.

It will only achieve further embarrassment to Trump because there aren't any, but I think that's a worthy goal.

Acorn

It'll be hilarious​ if he has went the full Nixon with everything recorded in the oval office.

Second president to fuck themselves.

mas8705

At this point, one has to argue who the hell Trump's PR people are and how they have not lost their damn minds yet. I can only guess that Republicans are just waiting for that one slip up to throw the doors open and kick Trump out if he could do more than just keep running his mouth and proving how he can still outdo his insanity on a daily basis.

Honestly, I think we are in Wonderland considering how Trump probably has made the Red Queen look like a Saint in comparison. At least you could understand her insanity, whereas no one can still figure out what the hell Trump is doing other than driving others mad.

Joe

BuzzFeed (October 2016): Inside Donald Trump’s Surveillance Operations
Sources: Trump’s little-known home near Washington, DC, has security cameras inside and outside, monitored from New York, according to insiders. Politicians have stayed there for “safe haven.” Ubiquitous surveillance equipment is also threaded throughout his Trump National Golf Club.

BuzzFeed (June 2016): Donald Trump Listened In On Phone Lines At Mar-A-Lago
Donald Trump had a telephone console installed in his bedroom that acted like a switchboard, connecting to every phone extension on the estate, according to six former workers. Several of them said he used that console to eavesdrop on calls involving staff.

Socreges

Banned
That's the threat....... Don't testify or else.

I don't see how this isn't still a threat.

How is that not a threat? A warning to someone that you can damage their credibility or blackmail them is a threat
I don't see the value in getting hung up on the word 'threat' (I suppose releasing the tapes could be seen as a hostile action, though it's more a defense mechanism) if you bother to actually read my post. If we can focus on context, my point was to draw the distinction for people who are confusing the tweet as if it suggests that Trump is threatening some vague, ominous harm toward Comey if COMEY releases the tape, while the actual claim is that TRUMP has the tapes and would release them to back up his own argument.

..... so the Nth Level Chess stuff isn't just a joke?

Top Bottom