• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo $11.99 at Fry's

Alex

I got it at the Circuit City sale a smidge back for 14.99, this is easily the worst game I've played in the past couple years.

And I LIKE quirky, silly Japanese stuff!

I also got Fire Emblem and Batallion Wars the same day though (same price), both of which I am quite fond of, so not a total loss!

Teasel

this thread makes me want to go on a murder rampage
i searched for the pal version for a decent price (something like 25-30 euros) a lot of times and here people can get it for 15$ and no,if i import i have to get the freeloader and the right cables (because with the standard cables i see 60 HZ games in black & white) so i couldn't do that anyway
being european really really really sucks :/

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i only clicked on this thread to deprecate chibi robo, but it looks like i'll get fire emblem out of it. neat.

Alex

If you want my impressions, Chibi Robo's gameplay is absolutely tedious at best, no, that's being too kind, it is offensively bad.

With how I purchase games, it's rare that I wind up with one that I dislike, let alone flat out hate. But gosh, I felt ripped off at $14.99.

Looking at the box I expected some keen platformer-esque knock off of Toy Commander, how wrong I was.

Having to scurry off every time you blink to recharge gets to be infuriating. Even with the couple of extra "batteries" I accumulated, taking on any decent task (moping, using the chibi-copter to jump to a platform) would drain the shit out of me.

Then I'd have to jump down, run to a socket, and be spammed with the ton of pointless dialogue the game spews at you every time you scratch your ass. Then there's the gibber-speak, which is akin to taking the chatter from Animal Crossing and Okami and multiplying the annoying factor x50.

But the general interference to gameplay is what drove me nuts. If I wasn't recharging, racing a clock, or doing something else totally mind numbing, I was being spammed with inane text, STUPID cutscenes, and general handholding stupidity..

That all tied in with the fact that the game is just too obnoxiously presented for me. It makes Katamari Damacy look lowkey and downright coherent by compare, there's quirky, then there's childish and ridiculous.

It's just not fun, I put about two hours into it before I just got entirely fed up and traded it in.

Just an average, poorly designed collectathon with a very wasted concept. Collectathons are inheirently bad, how someone would figure it a good idea to make one with as much pointless fluff, delay and interruption between activies was a good idea really goes over my head.

The best part of Chibi Robo is that I feel signifigantly better about Giftpia never getting localized Maybe it gets better, some of the later gizmos and tools look a little interesting, but no way I'm going to stick around to find out any longer in this type of a game. I was about to lose it after a couple of hours.

Chibi Robo comes out here, Mother 3 rots in Japan, ****ing Nintendo.

If you're this unsure, go ahead and take the plunge, even if the game drives you as nuts as it did me, still just 12 bucks. You can probably still trade it in for just about as much I would assume.

M3wThr33

Banned
My roommate bought this. He bought every single god damn niche Cube and GBA game. He hates them, but still gives his money away for the tripe.

All I know about Chibi-Robo is that it killed my eardrums. Imagine Banjo-Kazooie talk CONSTANTLY. Ugh. The sound effects alone made me hate the game. Just hearing that squeaky whiny be-be-be-be.

eXistor

Wow, so much hate for a good game. It has it's share of problems, but this was a very very fun game to play, very laid back, cute and clever.

Yes it's too easy, the text slows the game down, soundeffects are an aquired taste for sure, constantly charging is no fun. But I found the game to be very fun and otherwise well designed. Don't expect overly great things and you can't possibly be dissapointed. Honestly for 12 bucks this is a steal

Teasel

mmm... maybe i can get a freeloader and some cables from a friend... if one of you guys don't want the game anymore why you don't sell it to me for that 12$ price?

Leondexter said:
Just in case anyone wants it. I picked it up, but quite frankly, it's not doing it for me.

I'm playing it with my daughter. It's no Pikmin, but after an hour or two you get used to the controls and it's pretty damn nice. My daughter likes it and that counts a lot. (She's five)

Fewr

I liked it, and so did my sister. We thought it was relaxing and easy.
The thing I liked the most is that the game has got no music, it relies on the sound effects of walking, jumping, cleaning, etc.

I had a really great time with this game for a few hours, and then I never, ever wanted to touch it again.

However, N64-style voice acting FTW!

Top Bottom