• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Abuse Scandal in UK grows to implicate MPs, celebs - Update Posts #900/#1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

slider

I don't want to turn this thread into a witch hunt (lol) but some people, in retrospect or not, do give off creepy vibes.

Obviously that's not enough for much aside from an uneasy feeling but still... I don't like uneasy feelings.

Paul Daniels was one of those dudes.

To note by creepy I don't automatically mean paedophilia or necrophilia.

Quote:
The Telegraph goes on to claim that the unnamed individual appeared on a popular soap opera.

SNN1207B_159787a.jpg

?

Is it?

28843_2.jpg

or the other one?

mariah-carey.jpg

Becuase dead people don't take out superinjunctions....

Oddly when I heard of the Met and the BBC not taking the allegations and rumours about Saville seriously, I could only think of the police department in The Wire doing everything they could to protect themselves and the Mayors office. Of course only now do the other names fall out of the woodwork too.

I don't know if I should laugh or look on in awe at the book about looking after children with Saville on the cover.

Brera

Banned
I just don't understand how a super injunction could be issued in these circumstances?

Surely Super injunction = surpressing evidence?

I just don't understand how a super injunction could be issued in these circumstances?

Surely Super injunction = surpressing evidence?

Isn't a superinjunction normally granted to prevent reporting on something (in the cases of celebrities, it tends to have been reporting on affairs or accusations of affairs)? In this case, would the superinjunction not just prevent reporting linking the subject with Savile/child abuse claims?

Super-injunctions in English law refer to a type of injunction in English tort law that prevent publication of the thing that is in issue and also prevents the reporting of the fact that the injunction exists at all.

slider

They really make the UK legal system seem like a joke.

Wrong Wrong Wrong!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it's an injunction against media coverage, right? That must be separate from any criminal investigation surely.

I realise I'm speaking theoretically but there you go.

I don't want to turn this thread into a witch hunt (lol) but some people, in retrospect or not, do give off creepy vibes.

Obviously that's not enough for much aside from an uneasy feeling but still... I don't like uneasy feelings.

Paul Daniels was one of those dudes.

To note by creepy I don't automatically mean paedophilia or necrophilia.

A lot of people say the same about anyone who is gay. The fact that he was a bit creepy means fuck all, it's the fact that he abused people and used charity as a cover.

dalin80

Banned
A newspaper decides that you a kiddy fiddler or have sex with animals and before any chance to correct them or air yourside of the story / alibi and before there is enough evidence for the police to even grab the magic marker for the investigation board they go and publish that as a front page article all over the country in giant red font.

Not very fair?

super injunctions prevent that but they aren't a stonewall to any freedom of press they can be appealed or if it was a illegal activity and you are found guilty then its fair game. They are there to stop the press ruining peoples lives with little evidence just to sell a few more newspapers or ruining a trial by having a trial by media before the court date is even set.

No system is perfect and it certainly needs work but as much as there needs to be freedom of the press there also needs to be protection from a hack journalist destroying someones life just to perk up the sales of the daily mail.

Xun

Savile was a truly disgusting person, and I always knew there was something dodgy about the guy.

Speaking of another story, I still think the whole thing against Jeremy Forrest is a joke.

If she was 16 no one would bat an eyelid, but it was her choice and the media is desperately trying to label Forrest as a monster.

A newspaper decides that you a kiddy fiddler or have sex with animals and before any chance to correct them or air yourside of the story / alibi and before there is enough evidence for the police to even grab the magic marker for the investigation board they go and publish that as a front page article all over the country in giant red font.

Not very fair?

super injunctions prevent that but they aren't a stonewall to any freedom of press they can be appealed or if it was a illegal activity and you are found guilty then its fair game. They are there to stop the press ruining peoples lives with little evidence just to sell a few more newspapers or ruining a trial by having a trial by media before the court date is even set.

No system is perfect and it certainly needs work but as much as there needs to be freedom of the press there also needs to be protection from a hack journalist destroying someones life just to perk up the sales of the daily mail.

Of course there needs to be protection, but superinjunctions go beyond just preventing papers printing gossip nonsense. They stop papers even reporting that the person asking for an injunction on a story being printed has *asked* for that injunction (hence the name) and they have also been used to do things like forbidding publication of:

'[t]he name of the entertainment company which sacked a female employee after an executive ended an extramarital affair with her and told bosses that “he would prefer in an ideal world not to have to see her at all and that one or the other should leave'.

'how an author of best-selling books and newspaper columns drawing on his own personal life has blocked his ex-wife from writing a book of her own or talking to any journalists about her time with him' - later revealed as Jeremy Clarkson (AMM v HXW)

'"Private information" that MoD adviser Bernard Gray – since appointed to the position of Chief of Defence Materiel – communicated to an individual, or who exactly that individual was.'

It's not just about blocking malicious gossip, or unfounded rumours - it's used to suppress anything that the person requesting the superinjunction may find embarassing or damaging and *that's* why it's an issue. That isn't even getting into the spurious grounds certain superinjunctions have been granted on etc.

Any of you seen the latest HIGNFY? They really tear into this tosser- Graham Lineham has a fantastic bit on the shame of Saville's "legacy" transforming into this awful thing almost overnight. (Also, they all have a go about the similarly paedo-riffic Mail Online, which is great.)

Once this all dies down no one will ever hear his name mentioned again.

Hahahaha, you think that. He's gonna be the go-to guy for all the paedo jokes for years, mate. Gary Glitter ain't got shit on this wanker.

It's pretty funny anyone thinks that original transcript was real, though. I mean, obviously parts of it were, given they filmed/broadcast/whatever bits of it, but the parts where Paul/Ian outright call him a paedophile to his face? Ehhh.

Any of you seen the latest HIGNFY? They really tear into this tosser- Graham Lineham has a fantastic bit on the shame of Saville's "legacy" transforming into this awful thing almost overnight. (Also, they all have a go about the similarly paedo-riffic Mail Online, which is great.)

Yeah, saw that. There was an air of public service announcement about it - "it's not just the Beeb involved; the tabloid twunts using this as a stick to beat the BBC with is just bullshit", and debunking the Savile on HIGNFY "transcript" - but there was a lot of righteous anger and spot-on commentary there, especially from Linehan. Loved the jab at the Mail Online - thoroughly, thoroughly deserved.

8bit

Knows the Score
The Sunday Sport (who employed Savile as an advice columnist for tips on dating) ups the ante with this headline :

379rF.jpg

(cropped slightly as the other half of the page is a close up of Kym Marsh's arse and may be a little work unfriendly)

slider

A lot of people say the same about anyone who is gay. The fact that he was a bit creepy means fuck all, it's the fact that he abused people and used charity as a cover.

Do they? That's awful. Sometimes it feels like 20 years ago. Sheesh.

But as I said this "creepy vibe" only equalled an "uneasy feeling". When facts crystallise (if they ever do in a legal sense) then I'll feel revulsion.

Rich!

Random, but I wonder what James May's opinion is of all this.

If I remember correctly, he loved the guy, and did a programme about Jimll fix it.

Dabanton

Savile is also rumored to have rounded up boys for him.
Allegedly Jimmy Saville supplied kids to top people such as prime minister Ted Heath.

Allegedly, UK Prime Minister Edward Heath "would regularly take boys from certain care homes away on his boat for weekends....

"The name 'Mr. Eddy' was well known on Hampstead Heath and the boys home nearby in the seventies."

"ALLEGEDLY... the person bringing children for him to abuse was Sir Jimmy Savile.

"He was seen by the witness, victim, taking young boys onboard Heaths yacht the Morning Cloud when they were at party conference.

"Saville is known for supplying a number of high profile MP’s with children for them to sexually abuse."

http://aangirfan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/bbcs-jimmy-savile-and-child-abuse-cover.html

Rich!

Yeah I thought they would've been removed by this stage.

If he were still alive, I'm sure they'd been stripped by now.

He's a disgraced, dead man. His headstone has been destroyed, his grave probably pissed on.

His honours will be removed. No hurry, lets have that be the final insult to him. Plenty of other shit to dig up first.

The Sunday Sport (who employed Savile as an advice columnist for tips on dating) ups the ante with this headline :

379rF.jpg

(cropped slightly as the other half of the page is a close up of Kym Marsh's arse and may be a little work unfriendly)

I think the more important story is that you're reading the Sunday Sport, and I use the term 'reading' very lightly, since it's a publication commonly associated with illiterate baboons.

Rich!

he's dead. you lose the honour of a knighthood when you die, so while I understand why some people are calling for it to be revoked, it would ultimately be a pointless because he's no longer a sir.

Even though, dead OBEs are still named by their titles when referred to from history.

Obviously, if none of this had ever occurred, people would carry on calling him Sir, regardless of any guidelines. He'd still be referred to as Sir Savile on his grave, in articles, in media, and in recollection. This is all something that can easily be avoided, and that's what people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom