• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle Is Being Sued by Its Shareholders

5taquitos

I mean, the reasonable thing would be shareholders suing executives for deception and taking their golden parachutes/exorbitant salaries to compensate, but I have no idea how you would actually go about that given the limited liability native to corporations.
Limited liability does not protect you from the negative consequences of willfully misleading investors. It just protects you from liability if market forces cause your business to go under.

Chipotle is a poison brand. It'll be dead by this time next year. One time was bad enough, twice is the end.

Desipte what those on GAF with tissue paper colons would have you believe, Taco Bell doesn't have anywhere near these kind of food safety issues.

I'm not an expert, I didn't try to come off as one either I don't think haha. I'm going off a class I took awhile ago. I thought there was a business judgement rule that had to be satisfied before the suit could go forward?

This business judgment rule is a shield for directors which protects them when they make bad decisions in good faith.

As I noted above in my edit, this is probably a securities class action :)

Acyl

Yeah this happens all the time. If a company tells you to buy their stock cause everything is lit, but then their stock tumbles because the truth came out. That's fraud.

I think Snapchat is being sued too for misleading investors about user numbers.

Limited liability does not protect you from the negative consequences of willfully misleading investors. It just protects you from liability if market forces cause your business to go under.

No. Limited liability expressly limits the liability of the owners of the corporation for its acts. It applies in bankruptcy, but that's not really the point (and certainly not why someone would go out of their way to get it generally - it's a bonus).

Barzul

This business judgment rule is a shield for directors which protects them when they make bad decisions in good faith.

As I noted above in my edit, this is probably a securities class action :)

Ah I just read it....I didn't think the directors were considered 3rd parties.

Jenov

Even Jack in the Box managed to pull itself back from the brink and they fucking killed multiple children and sickened hundreds of people. Chipotle, do better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The fact that norovirus only spreads due to shit particles makes me think employees are doing this on purpose. it cant be coordinated because thats easy to catch. we are probably seeing some copycats in other cities.

there is really nothing chipotle can do.

Zackat

Chipotle is a poison brand. It'll be dead by this time next year. One time was bad enough, twice is the end.

Desipte what those on GAF with tissue paper colons would have you believe, Taco Bell doesn't have anywhere near these kind of food safety issues.
Yeah TB won. I do love me a burrito bowl though.

Hycran

Banned
tenor.gif

Is that a thing? Suing because the stock falls?

For those who don't understand, there is great strategic value in doing this, even if it is effectively suing yourselves. If you win at trial, you will have a claim that is likely to rank higher in priority than those of secured and unsecured creditors as the claim will likely materialize before the bankruptcy of the company. Even if they sue and win they don't need to be in a rush to collect. Of course, this kind of law suit will stretch on for a few years so there is a kind of implicit bet that the company is going under in a few years. There are a number of classes of shareholders that might not get any revenue from the winding up of a company so this can also effectively give them a right (to collect on a judgment if successful) in lieu of a right they may not have.

TLDR: suing now is a back up to lock in more money in the event of bankruptcy.

Wait, so they didn't fix their food safety problem? What have they been doing then?

For what it's worth, I don't recall any more food safety scandals from them after that incident.

NewFresh

Even Jack in the Box managed to pull itself back from the brink and they fucking killed multiple children and sickened hundreds of people. Chipotle, do better.

Jack in the Box identified a problem that was new to the industry and measures were put in place to combat E. coli 0157. They deserve credit for making strides after how terrible their mistake was. Chipotle can't even get one of the most well known food born illnesses in the food industry under control.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/suing-a-corporation-as-a-corporate-shareholder.html

Pretty sure this scenario is also called a derivative suit. The right to sue the corporation is derived from their shareholder status. I took a class on it...I'm not a lawyer though so I might be wrong.

But here the lawsuit is against the corporation as well, not just the directors/officers. So it clearly can't be a derivative suit, which is when shareholders sue on behalf of the corporation, because the corporation cannot sue itself. Another tipoff is that it is a class action for all shareholders against the corporation and directors/officers, not a shareholder bringing suit on behalf of the corporation, which would not be designated as a class action.

Admittedly, I don't know much about this type of law either, other than the Business Associations class I took in law school. But it appears to not be a derivative suit to me.

DOWN

Banned
This is like suing Blackberry for falling stock prices because they pretended that their technology was still leading edge.
More like if you stick with Samsung through that negligent battery explosion thing and you believe when they say they eliminated the safety gaps they had that their competitors don’t, but then a year later they do it again. At some point, management is fucking up with your money and tried to keep you calm with all their claims of fixing it. You might have a case depending on how poorly they handled eliminating their problems or what they told you to keep you invested during the crisis resolution

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Seems a bit of an over reaction. It was one location that had the Norovirus, not nationwide like last time. Still not good, but a world of difference all the same. The stock will likely recover most of its losses in the next few weeks and months as long as nothing bad happens.

NewFresh

The fact that norovirus only spreads due to shit particles makes me think employees are doing this on purpose. it cant be coordinated because thats easy to catch. we are probably seeing some copycats in other cities.

there is really nothing chipotle can do.

This conspiracy stuff is weird. You can transmit Norovirus from person to person incredibly easily. It can make its way onto the food on clothes, hands, gloves, etc. if the proper procedures aren't in place.

It can also be present for days after the person no longer feels severe symptoms. So an employee could have it, take a day off, feel slightly better, come in and not wash his hands, and then you have it.

Also, it's transmitted through feces and vomit, not just feces. No real need for this elaborate plan. Just better training.

DOWN

Banned
Chipotle will be fine. This will slow their growth for a year in America and they’ll be back to popular after that.

Tobor

Chipotle will be fine. This will slow their growth for a year in America and they’ll be back to popular after that.

That's what I said the last time this happened. At some point the negative image sticks, and it's all over but the crying.

Seems a bit of an over reaction. It was one location that had the Norovirus, not nationwide like last time. Still not good, but a world of difference all the same. The stock will likely recover most of its losses in the next few weeks and months as long as nothing bad happens.

I thought the E.coli outbreaks were multi-state, and the last norovirus outbreak was Boston only?

Sunster

every time i see bad news about Chipotle I smile because they didn't hire me when I was in high school.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I thought the E.coli outbreaks were multi-state, and the last norovirus outbreak was Boston only?

Wasn't aware of the Boston one from further back. Was referring to the E.coli outbreak which yeah multi-state may be more accurate as it was 11 states, but it was both east and west coasts and some central states, which to me is basically Nationwide.

Hero

Living in the Philadelphia area, all the Chiptoles I see are near empty, when a few years ago they had lines going out the door. The brand is not long for this world.

Parch

Wait, so they didn't fix their food safety problem? What have they been doing then?

For what it's worth, I don't recall any more food safety scandals from them after that incident.
Yeah, I don't really see the lawsuit. If they fixed the problem and it came back, then how are the being deceptive? If it came back, then how are franchises still open? Did they fix it or not? Is this a new breakout of EColi instead of noro? Again, how is the restaurant being deceptive about a different breakout?

I see investors pissed off that the food chain screwed up and the stock price dropped. Now they screwed up again. Shit happens, pun intended, but proving that they were intentionally deceptive is going to take some fancy lawyering. I don't see the case.

Kremzeek

Yeah, poor investors not getting their 20% yearly growth.

It's a bump in the road. Investors have gotten too used to gangbusters returns.

madmook

Poor Chipotle, the only break they can catch is an outbreak.

Haven't been or eaten there myself for several years now.

SyNapSe

Unlikely. They'll be dead in no more than 5 years tops.

It's a $10 billion market cap company. It's going to be around for a while.

edit: and the stock is headed back up. Beat expected EPS and +8% same store sales. I'm sure this'll hurt them again but they aren't closing up shop yet

Top Bottom