• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chopsticks. Why still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gvaz said:
I'm just saying almost every situation where I'm eating something, a fork is easier and simpler to use instead of using chopsticks especially when a person is unfamiliar with them. They don't really bring anything to the table that other utensils can't also do.

That's fine, but it doesn't make them universally superior because the criteria for better/worse requires a lot more personal context than you grant. Celebrate the differences, don't look down at them.

Gvaz

Banned
Gentleman Jack said:
That's fine, but it doesn't make them universally superior because the criteria for better/worse requires a lot more personal context than you grant. Celebrate the differences, don't look down at them.
I'm not going to try and force someone to use something else if they are comfortable using the thing they like, but that doesn't mean I can't scoff at them for using what I'd consider substandard
emot-smugbert.gif

Regardless if it works for you, that's fine, though I personally don't have any use for them when I can get around just fine without them.

Wazzim

Banned
Pandaman said:
Efficiency before etiquette.
It isn't even fucking efficient, I'm done with this shit and just say it: most of the western people using chopsticks are just weaboo's.
Hell, I have met tons of korean/chinese people using spoon instead of chopsticks when eating rice, even when chopsticks where one of the options.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Wazzim said:
It isn't even fucking efficient, I'm done with this shit and just say it: most of the western people using chopsticks are just weaboo's.
Hell, I have met tons of korean/chinese people using spoon instead of chopsticks when eating rice, even when chopsticks where one of the options.
You seem pretty angry. It's just utensils bro.

Wazzim said:

Why does that make them a weeaboo? My father is an 73 year old white guy that eats with them anytime he eats at a place where they are called for.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chopsticks = Noodles/East Asian cuisine
Hands = Filipino cuisine
Spoon + Fork + Knife = Everything else

I rarely use hands though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wazzim said:
Koreans use spoons on rice as part of culture.

I agree about spoon = rice, but for foods that are best "plucked", chopsticks are better.

hteng said:
who the hell bumped this thread? i used chopsticks and spoons combo !
achinstroke-1.gif

Vaporak

Gvaz said:
Do you people not know how to twirl your noodles around a fork or something?

Of course I do, I grew up eating speghetti that way. But it's just easier to eat with chopsticks; I can eat it faster with chopsticks than I can with a fork. I bet everyone who's proficient with chopsticks could actually eat spaghetti faster that way to, spinning that fork wastes a lot of time that you could be eating.

Wazzim said:

Or you know, maybe you just didn't grow up in an area with a large Asian-american population?

I'm not Asian but for some reason I did learn to eat with chopsticks as a kid. I prefer them for the foods I can eat with them because I enjoy the feeling of the sticks in my mouth more than I do the feeling of a larger metal object. It's hard to describe but it makes the food taste more natural to me or something.

Momo

Banned
rpmurphy said:
I went to a restaurant last week and it reminded me of this thread. Eating grilled asparagus with knife and fork was stupid, especially because the dinner fork that was given had the space between the prongs just slightly wider.
You're an awful person for reigniting this thread :(

Quick

Banned
Shin_Kojima said:
I'm not Asian but for some reason I did learn to eat with chopsticks as a kid. I prefer them for the foods I can eat with them because I enjoy the feeling of the sticks in my mouth more than I do the feeling of a larger metal object. It's hard to describe but it makes the food taste more natural to me or something.

So you're saying you like wood in your mouth.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Quick said:
So you're saying you like wood in your mouth.
What poverty-stricken chopsticks are you using?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Gvaz said:
Yes, it works pretty well, you just fucking stab the dumpling and you're g2g.

I don't understand why anyone would use chopsticks since utensils are better 9/10 times.

Like eating rice with chopsticks, aww fuck no

If you're eating popcorn with butter you're doing it wrong. Especially microwave popcorn.

lol... so much fail in here

ampere

Chopsticks work well for sticky rice, sushi, and I'm sure other foods as well.

By no means would it be most pragmatic to only use chopsticks in modern times, but there are still some foods that are best eaten with chopsticks.

Tradition is also a factor of course.

Jimrpg

malaysians like to eat with their fingers but i don't get why they eat with their fingers when they have rice and curry. they mix it in well, but seems redundant when spoons are so cheap these days.

Brofist

People in countries which traditionally use chopsticks to eat even eat using fork/knife/spoon when it's more convenient. Not sure why we are having such a raging debate over this.

Zaptruder

Banned
arbok26 said:
malaysians like to eat with their fingers but i don't get why they eat with their fingers when they have rice and curry. they mix it in well, but seems redundant when spoons are so cheap these days.

I have a malaysian chinese heritage...

I'm not aware of many malaysians eating curry without a spoon.

We're certainly happy to use our hands to eat stuff when it calls for it - but we're also just as accustomed to forks, spoons and chopsticks (although as a culture, probably not knives so much).

Zaptruder

Banned
kpop100 said:
People in countries which traditionally use chopsticks to eat even eat using fork/knife/spoon when it's more convenient. Not sure why we are having such a raging debate over this.

Pretty much this.

I can definetly use a pair of chopsticks fine, but if you present to me utensils for me to select, I'll gravitate towards spoon/fork/knives 99 out of 100 times

the 1/100 time is when I'm feeling weird.

Finaika

arbok26 said:
They taste better using fingers.

hteng

Banned
arbok26 said:

it's part of a tradition here, if you aren't accustomed to it, you'll won't be proficient at it, yea it's just using your hands but try grabbing it with rice + curry + whatever vege without dropping all over the place.

Zaptruder said:
I have a malaysian chinese heritage...

I'm not aware of many malaysians eating curry without a spoon.

We're certainly happy to use our hands to eat stuff when it calls for it - but we're also just as accustomed to forks, spoons and chopsticks (although as a culture, probably not knives so much).

he's probably confused with sambal/belacan

Kyoufu

Rice and chopsticks is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. Took forever trying to get a grain from the bowl to my mouth. Ended up giving up after a while. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom