• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Chan is reaching out to indie game developers to make a Sonichu game

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmiT

hey all lets further encourage people manipulating an autistic woman. that wont make things worse.

But seriously why are people actually encouraging this? Like, have none of you maybe even thought of that Chris needs actual help rather than more shit from the internet?

Yeah, she's done nasty shit. But maybe being autistic and manipulated by internet trolls for the past decade will do that to someone. And it certainly doesn't justify harassing or manipulating her even further.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
A few things Chris has done for the ignorantly sympathetic:

-held up signs in malls saying he only will date white women
-dressed up in blackface
-called a man he believed was Pacific islander a n****r
-Has said "death to the homos!" On many occasions
-is okay with lesbians but hates gays because they do not fuel his sexual fantasies (though he's retracted this sentiment since he's found attention from gay bars)
-called a gamestop manager a 'dirty Jew' and hit him with his car

And so much more!
And the solution is internet shitty justice by way of le trolling. Yay for you.

JoseLopez

A junior? Never would have guessed.

Dude, I just watched an ending to Half in the Bag involving robots and sexual assault and I was in tears at it, like disturbing South Park you know? But this stuff? If you even read some of the stuff on the wiki it is insane, disturbing, and the people who encourage this are legit psychopaths.

It is honestly. If you read about that awful stuff the trolls coerced him into doing? That's the stuff that makes bile rise to your throat. Ugh. Even if he is a piece of human garbage he was shaped by the internet trolls just as much. Just ignore Chris or report him to the proper authorities. Otherwise this is just making things worse.
Stalking, harassment, death threats, assaults, etc it's crazy dude and even worse how increasingly unstable Chris gets. Its funny now but these stories never have a happy ending.
this 4cent garbage is more entertaining than anything you have ever posted
Stop pushing your luck junior

But seriously why are people actually encouraging this? Like, have none of you maybe even thought of that Chris needs actual help rather than more shit from the internet?

Yeah, she's done nasty shit. But maybe being autistic and manipulated by internet trolls for the past decade will do that to someone. And it certainly doesn't justify harassing or manipulating her even further.

Honestly, I think, those who want to mock Chris will continue to do so regardless.

This thread doesn't encourage harassment any less or more, than pre-existing topics on the internet anyway.

Didn't think the OP would actually include that image from the cracked article...makes it very hard to believe that there is anything well intentioned about this thread, it's a nasty cynical note to start a thread on...

Even if you do think this is "newsworthy" (remember he wants an official game for a bunch of fan created Sonic / Pokemon characters) his previous history should give you plenty of indication as to why giving him more publicity is a bad idea, if only for his own well being.

Really disappointed to see some people justify this thinly veiled ribbing about someone who is of an extremely questionable mental state on the grounds of "fuckit, he had it coming, party on"

And the solution is internet shitty justice by way of le trolling. Yay for you.

Yes. SuperAngelo64 was behind all of it.

I stated a laundrylist of facts for people who are just seeing a bullied transwoman.

I guess when I open my mouth it's pretty easy for sensationalistic words to get shoved in, so I'll just let this thread sink on it's own.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Yes. SuperAngelo64 was behind all of it.

I stated a laundrylist of facts for people who are just seeing a bullied transwoman.

I guess when I open my mouth it's pretty easy for sensationalistic words to get shoved in, so I'll just let this thread sink on it's own.
Get off your high horse, you were straight up justifying it. There's no tip-toeing around it.

JoseLopez

an elitist who bases opinions on people's posts largely on how often they've posted and for how long? on neogaf? posting to be more politically correct? i would never have guessed.
Dude you think it's entertaining to watch a autistic dude get laughed at and mocked. Maybe you don't know Chris and if that's the case then I understand but here's the thing joking around about someone like him is not just dangerous for him but for people around him.

I have legitimately been waiting for the "Chris Chan murder/suicide" thread/news story for almost 4 years now.

His life has been destroyed by 4chan fucking with him. It's sad. Yeah, Chris Chan is kind of a douche who says shitty things but he has High-Functioning Autism, he has no social awareness he only had the echo chamber of hate that was /b/ to mold his social mores.

Hatchtag

Banned
Dude you think it's entertaining to watch a autistic dude get laugh and mocked. Maybe you don't know Chris and if that's the case then I understand but here's the thing joking around about someone like him is not just dangerous but for people around him.

This dude has submitted the last decade of his life to getting a Sonichu game made. And now you want to marginalize that effort and disuade it on the grounds that he is autistic? I think it's a pretty elitist thing to discriminate against disabled folk, saying that it is dangerous for them to attempt to entertain people.

Forkball

The whole obsession with this dude is eerie and kind of disgusting. Some people really need to reevaluate their priorities.

213372bu

Banned
You thought this was a good thread to post on GAF?

This thread is a mine in and of itself.

I mean, I can't say I haven't been following him since he became popular, but you know...

Who wouldn't want to collaborate with a famously naive, irrational, obsessive and socially inept autistic internet phenomenon on a game overtly based on other companies protected intellectual properties? It sounds like a surefire recipe for success! I mean, what could go wrong?

Who wouldn't want to collaborate with a famously naive, irrational, obsessive and socially inept autistic internet phenomenon on a game overtly based on other companies protected intellectual properties? It sounds like a surefire recipe for success! I mean, what could go wrong?

I mean look, ignoring ALL that crap.

You could make a decent satire from the sonichu stuff. If you got a team that knew what they were doing.

JoseLopez

This dude has submitted the last decade of his life to getting a Sonichu game made. And now you want to marginalize that effort and disuade it on the grounds that he is autistic? I think it's a pretty elitist thing to discriminate against disabled folk, saying that it is dangerous for them to attempt to entertain people.
First of all stop acting like a idiot you know very well that no one follows sonichu for sonichu but for Chris and his doings. Dudes isn't good at handling the spotlight and imho sonichu is the worst thing that ever happened to him. Do you think anything well will come from this besides trolls making fun of him?

Who's encouraging bad behavior? The guy has dream to make a video game about his Sonichu character and I made a thread to see if anyone's interested in helping him make that happen.

If anything, the worst responses are the armchair lawyers here whose first response is "anyone who helps him is an idiot, they'll get sued!!!" when they won't even watch the video that started this thread where he clearly explains that he has the copyright to Sonichu granted by the US Patent and Trademark Office, he's held it for years and hasn't been challenged yet.

He hasn't had a lot of luck in this life so if someone out there is able to help him turn his dream a reality, don't pretend like you're shielding him or he needs to be coddled.

Filter

Chris chan is morbidly fascinating but he could never come up with an interesting idea. Mashing together two of the most famous video game mascots isn't enough.
I really only know of Chris chan from following Sean Elliot's Twitter, but that mostly consisted of Chris shitting himself for fun.

If we are going to promote borderline personalities then I'd have to go for a much more imaginative mind, like Gail. Jeez what kind of fricken game would Gail come up with?

http://youtu.be/IaVRaYJKo3M

Hatchtag

Banned
First of all stop acting like a idiot you know very well that no one follows sonichu for sonichu but for Chris and his doings. Dudes isn't good at handling the spotlight and imho sonichu is the worst thing that ever happened to him. Do you think anything well will come from this besides trolls making fun of him?

Why am I an idiot for wanting to see his dreams come true? And that's not true, a lot of the appeal of Chris Chan is his Sonichu comic. And many people are bad at handling the spotlight, but that doesn't mean his work has no value. And perhaps it will. I honestly think that, at some point, Chris Chan will get a big break. He's got an IP and a celebrity-like quality to him. Should he find a way to monetize it at some point, or should someone help him to find it, he could finally get his break. And I could see a game such as the one he wants being a way of doing that.

That's the second time I've seen this user belittled because he's a Junior member. Stop with that shit already. Shows how much you care about your high and mighty anti-bullying arguments you can't stop doing it yourself.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? I used to see it a lot more, but I think it got cracked down on.

Dunkley

Considering I spent a long time following the Chris Chan Saga, what Chris Chan boils down is a variety of bad parenting decision causing this person to prosper into someone who rejects the idea of treating autism, is incredibly racist and intolerant/dismissive torwards other autists or people struggling with similiar things, and generally grew to be completetly distant from reality in terms of social interaction and world view.

Their biggest mistake is putting themselves out there on the internet. All people who tried to reach out to them and help they have rejected telling them they don't understand their problems or are trolls, and for actual trolls they were an easy target since there is a lot of material to mock Chris for. The best thing for Chris-Chan is to abandon the internet since it has grown so poisonous to their lifr, but since their ego due to their fanbase grew so big, I can't see them ever making that step.

dity

Who's encouraging bad behavior? The guy has dream to make a video game about his Sonichu character and I made a thread to see if anyone's interested in helping him make that happen.

If anything, the worst responses are the armchair lawyers here whose first response is "anyone who helps him is an idiot, they'll get sued!!!" when they won't even watch the video that started this thread where he clearly explains that he has the copyright to Sonichu granted by the US Patent and Trademark Office, he's held it for years and hasn't been challenged yet.

He hasn't had a lot of luck in this life so if someone out there is able to help him turn his dream a reality, don't pretend like you're shielding him or he needs to be coddled.

I'd believe you if you didn't put a derogatory image from Cracked right there in the OP and didn't leave the "Oh I don't want to encourage harassment" several paragraphs down after that. Seriously, you know she gets trolled so much that she trusts no one - what'd you think was going to happen in a thread made about her? People are just going to make fun of her.

just model-swap sonic for sonichu in sonic dreams collection and call it a day

The whole obsession with this dude is eerie and kind of disgusting. Some people really need to reevaluate their priorities.
Before that whole thing where he pepper sprayed a random Gamestop employee in the face over Sonic's arms in a poster being fucking blue, I kind of assumed the internet lost interest in Chris because the small group of people who took pride in 'documenting' his life came across as only slightly less obsessive and creepy as their subject. Plus when you write it all out, it's not exactly impressive that after wasting several years of your own free time you managed to outwit a mentally impaired 30-something year old into doing something stupid on camera he was already doing regardless.

For people calling chris transgender, iirc Im pretty sure chris is transphobic and considers himself above those people..he considers himself a male lesbian. Not trying to attack him, but for people defending him...hes a bigot.

I'd believe you if you didn't put a derogatory image from Cracked right there in the OP and didn't leave the "Oh I don't want to encourage harassment" several paragraphs down after that. Seriously, you know she gets trolled so much that she trusts no one - what'd you think was going to happen in a thread made about her? People are just going to make fun of her.

I agree some of the phrasing in the Cracked photoplasty was harsh, but don't judge me by it, you won't find (nor did you cite) any language I used in my entire OP that is derogatory to him. I have no ill will towards Chris Chan. The Cracked photoplasty was used because it shows that on a site that's viewed by millions of people he's interesting enough to merit his own slide.

Akibared

For people calling chris transgender, iirc Im pretty sure chris is transphobic and considers himself above those people..he considers himself a male lesbian. Not trying to attack him, but for people defending him...hes a bigot.

Yeah seriously just watch his most recent video you can't defend that at all.

TimmiT

If you know as much about Chris as you do, then there's no doubt that you know how people would reply to this. You're not exactly hiding your intentions with the photo you used of her either.

dity

Considering I spent a long time following the Chris Chan Saga, what Chris Chan boils down is a variety of bad parenting decision causing this person to prosper into someone who rejects the idea of treating autism, is incredibly racist and intolerant/dismissive torwards other autists or people struggling with similiar things, and generally grew to be completetly distant from reality in terms of social interaction and world view.

Their biggest mistake is putting themselves out there on the internet. All people who tried to reach out to them and help they have rejected telling them they don't understand their problems or are trolls, and for actual trolls they were an easy target since there is a lot of material to mock Chris for. The best thing for Chris-Chan is to abandon the internet since it has grown so poisonous to their lifr, but since their ego due to their fanbase grew so big, I can't see them ever making that step.

Would you people stop acting like it's just Sonichu that Chris is made fun of for? That she just arrived on the Internet and people started making fun of her at this level. It's not. It took a long time to get to where she is now. She's been baited into a lot of things - most notably many years ago when some kid pretended to be a woman called Julie. Chris fell in love with her hardcore and sent her lots of videos, but the person who was "Julie" was actually just some kid who collected up the videos and leaked them out onto the internet. The same kid IIRC threatened to turn Chris in by saying she's a pedophile (since Julie turned out to be some kid putting on a voice). A lot, I mean a LOT, of people found out about Chris through that incident, which lead the Internet at large to Sonichu. The videos and photos she sent the kid pretending to be Julie are still circulated today.

It also didn't help that someone made a webtoon out of her some years ago which got popular on Youtube. That got Sonichu known as well. A lot of the animation keyed into the Julie incident and made her life out to be that of some sex crazed mongrel.

I don't for one second believe that anything Chris has done deserves how people treat her. She's been heavily warped by how people treat her, it drives her to obsession. The ego? I think that's simply just the mindset of "trying to be above the trolls" - trying to act like it doesn't effect her. Sure she says some awful things, but rewind time and she wasn't saying those things before the harassment got big. Before it was just video tantrums and rage videos, now it's like she emulates her harassers.

-dressed up in blackface
-is okay with lesbians but hates gays because they do not fuel his sexual fantasies (though he's retracted this sentiment since he's found attention from gay bars)

And so much more!
People would probably have less of an issue hating on the guy given how public he was about his bigoted views if the internet didn't decide it absolutely had to intervene and make sure we had videos of him fucking a Playstation 3 or a million nude shots.

If you know as much about Chris as you do, then there's no doubt that you know how people would reply to this. You're not exactly hiding your intentions with the photo you used of her either.

Yet again, just another example that you have nothing on me, so you take what other people say and write and pigeon hole me in the same group. Read my response to the Cracked image above.

Of course there are people who want to ridicule Chris, but do you know what those people won't do? Develop a game for him. I'm in favor of getting his game made because it'll turn his dream into a reality. As I even explained in the OP, there were trolls that posed as game devs in the past just to waste his time. I'm not for that, I'm hoping a team will develop something, even a simple game that he can enjoy and call his own.

Stop trying to paint me as a harasser to satisfy your own argument.

dity

Seriously not worth fighting for.

There are transphobic trans individuals, just as there can be misogynistic women. Don't use their apparently transphobia (well, trans denial) to justify your own doing so. It doesn't make you look any better.

I agree some of the phrasing in the Cracked photoplasty was harsh, but don't judge me by it, you won't find (nor did you cite) any language I used in my entire OP that is derogatory to him. I have no ill will towards Chris Chan. The Cracked photoplasty was used because it shows that on a site that's viewed by millions of people he's interesting enough to merit his own slide.

The image alone is derogatory, and you chose to use it. I just wouldn't have used it.

Seriously not worth fighting for.
Nobody here is (hopefully) trying to make out Chris is a remotely good or redeemable person. They're probably also semi-aware how awful a lot of what they say is but are used to being able to fall back on government hand outs and surrounded by a world of their own making to escape from the repercussions.

Despite all that, turning the life of a severely mentally impaired person into a NSFW-version of the Truman Show for the internet is still really dumb, especially when the victim was willing to broadcast their stupid shit out there in the first place. People didn't fuck around with Chris because he's a bad person, they fucked around with him because it was obvious they could very easily get away with manipulating someone with the mental capacity of a 6 year-old.

Battlechili

Banned
You could always just removed the cracked image. It'd make things a little better, at least.

It also didn't help that someone made a webtoon out of her some years ago which got popular on Youtube. That got Sonichu known as well. A lot of the animation keyed into the Julie incident and made her life out to be that of some sex crazed mongrel.
Credit where it's due I think Spazkid has repeatedly denounced and distanced himself from his really old CWC cartoons.

dity

Credit where it's due I think Spazkid has repeatedly denounced and distanced himself from his really old CWC cartoons.

I remember them being taken down, but people on the Internet will always mirror shit like that and upload it elsewhere. It's awful. I'd actually forgotten Spazkid3D did them - it was that long ago.

Akibared

Someone doing wrongful acts does not justify doing wrongful acts back though.

There are transphobic trans individuals, just as there can be misogynistic women. Don't use their apparently transphobia (well, trans denial) to justify your own doing so. It doesn't make you look any better.

I'm not saying that makes it ok to troll I'm just pointing out that Chris has become a pretty shitty person. Like I just saw these videos shortly after I made my posts and after she posted this it makes me pretty pissed off to see some go right back to it.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm not saying that makes it ok to troll I'm just pointing out that Chris has become a pretty shitty person. Like I just saw these videos shortly after I made my posts and after she posted this it makes me pretty pissed off to see some go right back to it.
You said she's not worth defending though.

dity

You're pointing out they've "become a pretty shitty person" in the context of others using similar evidence to justify trolling Chris. What else am I supposed to think you're trying to do?

-dressed up in blackface

And so much more!

Totally justifies forming a community based on ridiculing and trolling a clearly mentally ill person

CorvoSol

I don't think people condemning the unhealthy, obsessed troll community that has sprung up around Chris Chan are supporting Chris Chan, sympathetic toward them or what have you.

There need not be a conflict between seeing Chris Chan as a reprehensible person and seeing the dedicated people who spend their free time chronicling the torment they inflict for their own amusement as sickening in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom