• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan leaves WB studios, next movie about atom bomb

thefool

I like Nolan, but getting "clout" was the worst thing that happened to the guy. He's one of those directors that needs the studio to say no every once in a while. Maybe Waner Bros finally did.

We already have enough entertainment subdued by studios demands or tailor-made to algorithms and target groups. Let one man, who has earned that right, to do whatever he wants.

thefool

After a trek to the director's Hollywood Hills compound, Universal, Sony and Apple learned he wanted total creative control, at least a 100-day theatrical window, around a $100 million budget, equal marketing spend, 20 percent of first-dollar gross, and a blackout period where the studio would not release another movie for three weeks before and after the feature.

I love this man

Billbofet

Hard to get excited after seeing Tenet. I think he's like M. Night in that he's probably surrounded by people that fawn over everything he does, question nothing, then you end up with Tenet.
I do really enjoy his movies, but there is always a filter of pretension or coldness. Tenet was just too much of all of that.

Plus, as others have said, this story has been told before - and really well. Fatman and Little Boy comes to mind - criminally underrated.

Hopefully this version of the story doesn't rely too heavily on dialogue and really focuses on the background noise and loud swelling, booming mix common during that time period.

Jennings

David Chase said he's unhappy about Many Saints of Newark being released on HBO Max as well

DEADLINE: This prequel was an easier sell, but because WarnerMedia put its entire 2021 slate as day-and-date on HBO Max, you are back on HBO. How did that feel?

CHASE: I don’t think, frankly that I would’ve taken the job if I knew it was going to be a day-and-date release. I think it’s awful.

DEADLINE: It is kind of ironic that here you make a theatrical film based on the iconic HBO series, and it’s coming out day-and-date on something with HBO in the title. What did you feel when that edict came down?

Talk about a messaging failure. I've been following the Sopranos prequel for months and had no idea it was intended to be a theatrical release. This whole time I thought it was more along the lines of the one-off Deadwood returns HBO movie from a couple years ago.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Damn I read the thread title and was instantly excited.

For those of you who think this prospect is boring I urge you to watch Trinity and Beyond: The Atomb Bomb Movie

I've seen it a handful of times and still can't get enough. Utterly captivating and terrifying from start to finish.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Yzz5W3V.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Amazing cast. I still dont know what kind of movie you can really make about the birth of the atom bomb.

Ballthyrm

The Manhattan TV show had a perfect Oppenheimer already. It's a fascinating story for sure but it will be hard to present something new and fresh.

kOzOAyo.jpg

Underrated TV show. The concept was great and the audience didn't follow, damn shame.
I still remember the opening credits, it was some of the best ever made.

dr_octagon

Banned
Some of the lines have leaked

Matt Damon: You a fakhin physicist?

Emily Blunt: A spoonful of atoms makes the plutonium go down.

Robert Downey Jr: I am atom man.

Cilian Murphy: You need to lighten up.

Billbofet

Great cast. Will for sure see it.

By the time he gets done doing period-piece "films" and gets his Oscar, it will be time to reboot Batman again!!!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Won't be able to hear the characters talking over the sound of the test detonations.
This, I do not know if he is trolling at this point or just fucking incompetent. Although the hum in Blade Runner 2049 drove me insane, and that was by Dennis Villeneuve.

Spaceman292

Banned
This, I do not know if he is trolling at this point or just fucking incompetent. Although the hum in Blade Runner 2049 drove me insane, and that was by Dennis Villeneuve.
Dune has some of that problem too, at least in IMAX. Thankfully the home version is more understandable. And none of it is anywhere near as bad as Tenet.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Tenet was definitely the worst of his films, but it’s not necessarily a bad film per se. It was the pacing that killed it for me. But I’m a sucker for Nolan films, so combine his talent with the story of Oppenheimer, you’ve got a winner.
That's because you needed to watch it backwards.... while standing on your head.... with a hotdog in your mouth.

Jennings

If you’re referring to his cameo in Ragnarok, he wasn’t actually Loki. So you’re wrong.
This isn't something worth trying to be right or wrong about. All I'm saying is that the current cast of Loki, Iron Man, Scarecrow, and Full Metal Bitch have got this one. Nolan will deliver.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not as Hyped for Nolan anymore.
The only movie of his I've liked since Inception was was Interestellar, and even that had an underwhelming ending when it went full Huey Lewis with the power of love.

But I guess this could be fun

The ending for Interstellar really rubbed me up the wrong way. The meeting with Murph should have been so much more impactful.

Still looking forward to this. Unlike most people here, I thought Tenant was fucking outstanding. Not Nolan's best work, but still an incredible, original mind-bending experience.

Star-Lord

This isn't something worth trying to be right or wrong about. All I'm saying is that the current cast of Loki, Iron Man, Scarecrow, and Full Metal Bitch have got this one. Nolan will deliver.
It’s Bourne, Scarecrow, Iron Man, and Full Metal Bitch, but whatever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The guy makes one bad movie and y'all turn your back on him?

Guy has been a beacon of light in the darkness that is Hollywood and you do him dirty on message boards just like that?!

For shame!

bender

What time is it?
I like Nolan, but getting "clout" was the worst thing that happened to the guy. He's one of those directors that needs the studio to say no every once in a while. Maybe Waner Bros finally did.
The Darren Aronofsky trajectory.

Top Bottom