• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

duckroll

Seems like it is cratering on RT already. Down to a mere 94% and 8.8 average now. Not much to shout of. Soon it'll be below The Dark Knight and be just another Nolan disappointment again. I have Liemax tickets for tonight, but I'm already losing the sense of hype and feel like calling it off.

Caode

Seems like it is cratering on RT already. Down to a mere 94% and 8.8 average now. Not much to shout of. Soon it'll be below The Dark Knight and be just another Nolan disappointment again. I have Liemax tickets for tonight, but I'm already losing the sense of hype and feel like calling it off.

Burn them.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just got back.

Honestly, it was just average. Realistic war movie without a gore was definitely a stupid decision.

Air force scenes were jawdroppping

Where's the nearest IMAX 70mm theatre to you?

Or IMAX Laser

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah to be honest my review scale is essentially

96 and up: brilliance

95: Good, I guess

94 down: just pure, steamy shit

I think I'll skip this one
/s in case people's sarcasm meter is broken

Nolan needs to retire

Saudades

So how is Zimmers score? One of my favorite parts of Inception and Interstellar
I think it's more understated with the ticking clock motif, nothing bombastic like Interstellar's No Time For Caution. I felt like it was this one song, Supermarine, for the whole film. But then again I didn't watch in IMAX.

Ranking after I saw it:
1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Memento
4. Inception
5. Dunkirk
6. Batman Begins
7. Interstellar
8. TDKR

Haven't seen Following and it's been too long since I watched Insomnia I barely remember any of it.

HiiiLife

So how is Zimmers score? One of my favorite parts of Inception and Interstellar

Not inception level. That movie almost had me in tears. But better than interstellar imo. Only thing i recall from interstellar is the scene that everyone loves. Music in this had me on the edge of my seat the entire film.

Dany

Banned
Fuck me. What a god damn thriller. Top 3-4 films of Nolan. From minute zero it doesn't let you go.

I'm fucking in love that we don't see a German in the movie

Dany

Banned
Not just gore, combination of few things.

This is literally just the evaluation. No political side, no NAZI side. Why this, why that. Nothing. No story whatsoever.
How were you so blind that you couldnt see the story?
It's plain as day

Not just gore, combination of few things.

This is literally just the evaluation. No political side, no NAZI side. Why this, why that. Nothing. No story whatsoever.

I don't see this until Saturday, but isn't that the point? The film is the story of the evacuation. No more, no less. That's what it's always been sold as.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
How were you so blind that you couldnt see the story?
It's plain as day

There wasn't any story.
Why didn't Nazi ground force attack?
Why didn't they send more Royal Airforce and ships? (they summed up this point in 1min dialogue, if I remember correctly they said "they are saving it for another battle"

I don't see this until Saturday, but isn't that the point? The film is the story of the evacuation. No more, no less. That's what it's always been sold as.

I guess. Anyways, not a war movie I was hoping for.

I_D

Just got back from seeing it in IMAX.

Cinematography and sound are absolutely top-notch.

The rest... meh. It was okay. I was reminded of Flags of our Fathers more than Saving Private Ryan. It's a pretty slow movie, honestly.

Compared to how hooked I've been to literally every other Nolan film, I thought it was a fairly weak showing. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it could basically have nothing to do with WWII and it wouldn't be much different.

Just got back from seeing it in IMAX.

Cinematography and sound are absolutely top-notch.

The rest... meh. It was okay. I was reminded of Flags of our Fathers more than Saving Private Ryan. It's a pretty slow movie, honestly.

Compared to how hooked I've been to literally every other Nolan film, I thought it was a fairly weak showing. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it could basically have nothing to do with WWII and it wouldn't be much different.

Which kind of IMAX?

2K, Laser, 70mm?

HiiiLife

I hope my mom doesn't think this is on some Flags of our Fathers / Saving Private Ryan story lol.

Maybe I should clarify it's just the British and Frenchs desperate attempt to survive and escape off that beach. No time for character building.

My one question that might have already been answered:

Around halfway through the movie, the group of main soldiers are sitting on the beach, then they link up with the others, then there's the great shot of them on an empty beach approaching the beached ship. Then it seems like a shot is missing because I think we next see them inside the boat and they are seemingly in the water getting shot at. I've heard two explanations: the tide rose and they were washed out and supposedly someone said the enemy was near, which explains the "target practice." Did I miss anything else? It seemed like a weird narrative hiccup for a director so obsessed with structure.

HiiiLife

Around halfway through the movie, the group of main soldiers are sitting on the beach, then they link up with the others, then there's the great shot of them on an empty beach approaching the beached ship. Then it seems like a shot is missing because I think we next see them inside the boat and they are seemingly in the water getting shot at. I've heard two explanations: the tide rose and they were washed out and supposedly someone said the enemy was near, which explains the "target practice." Did I miss anything else? It seemed like a weird narrative hiccup for a director so obsessed with structure.

To piggy back on to your question

what happened to that random dude who dropped in the boat with them? The Dutch guy? Also was the guy who rarely spoke the one who drowned or the one who burned in the oil? Damn you Harry styles and your paranoia

To piggy back on to your question

what happened to that random dude who dropped in the boat with them? The Dutch guy? Also was the guy who rarely spoke the one who drowned or the one who burned in the oil? Damn you Harry styles and your paranoia

He drowned I believe, but could be mistaken.

HiiiLife

So I remember there being jokes about the trailer with the soldiers looking up at the planes, and people making jokes about one of them in the crowd.

But I couldn't see anything that stood out, or was funny during the actual scene in the movie.

So I remember there being jokes about the trailer with the soldiers looking up at the planes, and people making jokes about one of them in the crowd.

But I couldn't see anything that stood out, or was funny during the actual scene in the movie.
They were joking about an extra smiling during the scene.

Just got back and it was ok. Filmed beautiful and lots of breath taking shots. But honestly was never given a reason to care about anything going on. There aren't any real characters and the story is the evacuation and that's it. Also and this could just be my problem but the soldiers look to similar because they are all wearing the same thing and have similar hear cuts so honestly lost track of the 2 main ones and at one point thought one or both of them died. Might just be my problem. Either way it was ok, don't think I'll see it again though.

Dahbomb

This movie better sweep the technical awards at the Oscars or I am going to call shenanigans.

But this is not best picture type of movie. It's like an action film but the first act of build up and set up is not there and you only have the set pieces. It's like watching Avatar but you only get that last 3rd act with massive set piece.

And those set pieces are godlike (Nolan at peak directorial capacity here) but without the build up, characters and overall picture of WW2, it's difficult for most to care.

Honestly if someone told me that this wasn't made by Nolan I would've believed them as it's unlike anything he has done. Little to no exposition, minimal dialogue, lack of character motivations/arcs... and those are things that Nolan does very well at. Only thing Nolan about this movie is the technical aspect and the non traditional story structure of the event. But the fact that it's a non traditional Nolan movie just speaks more to his talent as a director. He still has it folks and so does Hans Zimmer.

There was one guy who was smiling in the trailer, I was looking at him in the final movie scene and he wasn't grinning as much. Maybe a different take or some George Lucasing going on there.

Once they got to the boat they were waiting for the tide to come in to wash them out. They were all hiding because the Germans were just over the dunes, and some of them were using the boat as target practice. The guys inside just had to wait it out till tide came in and took the boat away, but the bullet holes were causing the boat to fill up with water. By the time the tide came in there was already too much water on board and it began to sink.

SpartanN92

Banned
Just got out... I liked it but it ranks way beneath Interstellar, Inception and Dark Knight for me.

The highlight of the movie is the RAF scenes. They are INCREDIBLE!!! Best fighter plane scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Honestly I wish the whole movie had been about the pilots.

The rest is just good not spectacular.

I'd like to rewatch with subtitles, I had a very difficult time understanding those thick cockney accents.

Once they got to the boat they were waiting for the tide to come in to wash them out. They were all hiding because the Germans were just over the dunes, and some or one of them were using the boat as target practice. The just had to wait it out while they waited for the tide to come in and take them away.

Gotcha. It's weird how muddily that's conveyed in the movie.

The shot is shorter I believe so the worst of it is essentially cut

Man, that scene at the end with
Hardy gliding around with a bone-dry fuel tank...and STILL coming back around to take out that last fighter
might be the biggest stand up and cheer moment of the year.

Saudades

Gotcha. It's weird how muddily that's conveyed in the movie.
Yeah
they said it was outside the defensive perimeter but immediately cut to a shot of them approaching the ship so the distance felt shorter than it was supposed to be.
There was one guy who was smiling in the trailer, I was looking at him in the final movie scene and he wasn't grinning as much. Maybe a different take or some George Lucasing going on there.
The guy looks more grave in the actual scene but they splice another scene in the middle of the take so there's prob some parts that's unsalvageable or smth.
Man, that scene at the end with
Hardy gliding around with a bone-dry fuel tank...and STILL coming back around to take out that last fighter
might be the biggest stand up and cheer moment of the year.
That last shot of
Hardy standing in front of his burning plane before being taken away by the enemy
is the closest thing to a big emotional impact in this film for me.

Top Bottom