• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

inky

9.5 on IMDB? Is that normal for a hyped movie early in its run? Seems extremely high.

It's absolutely normal.

It was probably at 10 with thousands of votes before it even hit theaters. That's not to take away from the quality of the movie, but IMDB ratings are completely useless. Look for other metrics.

It's absolutely normal.

It was probably at 10 with thousands of votes before it even hit theaters. That's not to take away from the quality of the movie, but IMDB ratings are completely useless. Look for other metrics.

I do like checking IMDB for films that have been out for a while, but yeah I wasn't as familiar with it for movies this close to release.

whoszed

That was kind of intential though. Think of the detached this-is-how-it-happened tone of United 93.

I'm sure it was fully the intent to simply recapture this moment in history. Prior to seeing the movie, however, I was imagining it to have a more adventurous feel to it. And obviously there are some incredible feats of heroism in the movie, but they don't feel connected quite in the same way as in many other Nolan movies when all the pieces start to come together in a big climax.

I missed that element of slowly building up to a huge set piece moment as much as I missed the emotional connection to the characters, something I hoped Nolan would explore further after Interstellar.

emrober5

Just got back from the theater. Believe the hype.

I have a few minor problems with it, buts it's tight, suspenseful, and does not let up until the credits roll. Tom Hardy has the best role in the film, with limited dialogue. The sound (as usual) is on another level.

I like all of Nolan's films but this is his best work.

I wish I had seen it in 70mm but I'll take seeing in a few days early.

I do like checking IMDB for films that have been out for a while, but yeah I wasn't as familiar with it for movies this close to release.
IMDB ratings are trash, and there is always Nolan recency with his films being overrated. I love me some Nolan but the fanboys go overdrive on the ratings without having seen the film. Remember, these aren't ratings based on people who've actually seen the movie, like how it is with critics and Rottentomatoes or Metacritic.

Gastone

Just got back from this. Amazing, thrilling and absolutely breathtaking. The dogfighting sequences has to be the best ever put to film. Precision filmmaking.

zsynqx

Late, but whatever

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Prestige
3) Memento
4) Inception
5) Batman Begins
6) Insomnia
7) Interstellar
8) The Dark Knight Rises

I saw the Following ages ago, but can't remember a thing about it so doesn't seem fair ranking it.

Edit: Looks like the 1.5 star review from Slant Magazine brought the Metascore down to 96.

Truant

Just saw it. The last half is amazing. Inception level intensity, music and editing set in WW2.

There was a sequence near the end where the timelines synced up and the horns kicked in where I cried a bit out of sheer 'fuck yes'-ness.

Jeez this is hard...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Prestige
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. Interstellar
8. Insomnia
9. Following

Insomnia is near the bottom but it is also extremely well made. I just have more of an emotional response to the films above it. Like, I'd give Insomnia a 90%. That's how ridiculous my rankings are lol. I really, really love his filmography.

Angel_DvA

Just came back as well, If I had one word for it, it'll be "intense", yeah, the movie was intense as fuck, it just never stop, the sound and the visuals are incredible, the editing of some scenes is just amazing, the characters are pretty good overall and the dialogue are just what they need to be, it's not a movie, it's an experience.

Can we just take a moment to realize that Hans Zimmer is just the best ? I think it's his best work hands down... the soundtrack is just astounding and do a lot for the movie, a big part of the immersion is definitely due to his perfect tracks, unbelievable...

Sure, it's not perfect and I have some complaints over minor things but overall, it's the second best movie of Nolan, a masterpiece, TDK is still his best job though.

It feels good to have something like this in theater, go see it...

reKon

Banned
1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Inception
4. Interstellar
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. The Dark Knight Rises

This was really fucking hard. Lists are useless for this. I might have well gone with 2 = 3 = 4 = 5 = 6.

One things for certain. TDKR is his worst.

Haven't seen Dunkirk, Insomnia or Following

After seeing Dunkirk, this is my rating.

1. The Dark Knight 10/10
2. Inception 9/10
3. Memento 9/10
4. The Prestige 8/10
5. Batman Begins 8/10
6. Dunkirk 8/10
7. The Dark Knight Rises 7/10
8. Insomnia 7/10
9. Interstellar 4/10

Really didn't like Interstellar, the constant inconsistencies and plot holes took me out of it. Dunkirk is an amazing technical achievement (and will probably sweep those Oscars), but I feel like it's getting slightly overrated now because it is such a great theater experience. I doubt it will do as good on repeated viewings as many of Nolan's other films.

B.K.

What's better: 70mm or fake IMAX? There's a theater a hour and a half away that I may go see Dunkirk at and it's going to have it in 70mm and on a LieMAX screen.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It's absolutely normal.

IMDB rating* > any other rating system out there

But you have to wait at least 6-12 month after the movie is release

hydruxo

Looks like I'm misremembering. Heard it him say it in during a actors roundtable.

We’re interviewing Michael Caine about his role in the movie Going in Style, and the subject is retirement.

Not to worry, Caine, who just turned 84 a few weeks ago, doesn’t plan to retire soon. He’s got two more movies “in the can,” as they say, and starts shooting another in May.

Besides, he retired once already. (More on that in a bit).

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/03/going-in-styles-michael-caine-sums-up-his-career-the-movies-retire-you-you-dont-retire-from-the-movies

Got my IMAX 70mm tickets over at the Universal Citywalk.. Place attracts one of the most godawful moviegoing crowds out there being in the center of tourist hell but it's the only one of two of the real old school IMAX screens in LA. The other one attracts an even worse crowd.

I live by one of the theaters listed as being where its being shown in Imax 70MM on the website (the Maryland Science Center). Will all the showings at the theater be in Imax 70MM or will it only be select showings at that theater? Going to see it there Saturday night with my brother.

I live by one of the theaters listed as being where its being shown in Imax 70MM on the website (the Maryland Science Center). Will all the showings at the theater be in Imax 70MM or will it only be select showings at that theater? Going to see it there Saturday night with my brother.

Any showing listed will be 70mm IMAX at that center.

Awesome, thanks! The tickets were only $15 each which had me a little worried since they seemed to be a lot more expensive at the other Imax 70MM showings at other theaters. Really excited for this!

Doesn't the theater require you to purchase admission to the Center as well?. I'm in DC and thought about going but noticed that

Robot Pants

Got my IMAX 70mm tickets over at the Universal Citywalk.. Place attracts one of the most godawful moviegoing crowds out there being in the center of tourist hell but it's the only one of two of the real old school IMAX screens in LA. The other one attracts an even worse crowd.
In going at 1:30pm. What time are you?

Doesn't the theater require you to purchase admission to the Center as well?. I'm in DC and thought about going but noticed that

I believe that's only for the regular Imax movies. Here is what I found on the Science Center's FAQ page:

Most Science Center ticket options begin with base admission to the Science Center. IMAX films and traveling exhibitions are add-on options that are specially priced and packaged along with base admission for your convenience. Premium IMAX films, which are best known as the Hollywood Blockbuster films, may be purchased separately and are a different cost than a Classic IMAX film. With so much to see and do at the Maryland Science Center—and new IMAX films and exhibitions on their way—why not make a day of it? Or consider membership—base admission is free for members and IMAX films and traveling exhibitions are available at a discount. The Science Center does offer Classic IMAX Only tickets after 4:00 pm on certain days of the week.

Dunkirk was more expensive than their typical Imax movie and I was able to purchase the tickets directly off of their website, so I don't think you need to purchase general admission as well. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow though, just to make sure.

Listyyyyy

1. Memento
2. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight
4. Inception
5. Batman Begins
6. Interstellar
7. The Dark Knight Rises

I haven't seen the other films. I like all the movies pretty much, except for TDKR which was kind of bad. Funny that it's the only film in peoples lists they feel the need to justify if it is placed highly!

1. Dunkirk

2. Dunkirk - Special Engagement 70MM

3. Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience®

4. Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience® in 70MM Film (not available in my area)

Can someone tell which format I should see this in? Sucks #4 is out the picture, should I go regular 70mm or IMAX (not 70mm)?

duckroll

1. Dunkirk

2. Dunkirk - Special Engagement 70MM

3. Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience®

4. Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience® in 70MM Film (not available in my area)

Can someone tell which format I should see this in? Sucks #4 is out the picture, should I go regular 70mm or IMAX (not 70mm)?

"Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience® in 70MM Film" will give you the best experience possible. The full aspect ratio the film was shot in, along with the full resolution of the film it was shot in. The clarity and framing that Nolan intended when making the film.

"Dunkirk: The IMAX Experience®" will give you a larger portion of the intended aspect ration than a non-IMAX screen, but in digital you will get less of the resolution than film. Depending on the size of said screen, you might or might not even notice it.

"Dunkirk - Special Engagement 70MM" will give you the full resolution that the film was shot in, but without the expanded IMAX framing. So you are missing extra bits at the top and bottom, but the clarity should be superb. Again how much of this you will enjoy fully also depends on the size of the screen this is projected on.

"Dunkirk" will give you the film. For dirty casuals. With split coke and crushed nachos on the floor.

hydruxo

9.5 on IMDB? Is that normal for a hyped movie early in its run? Seems extremely high.

Nolan's films usually get really high scores on IMDB in general. It'll even out a bit but all of his films except for Insomnia and Following are rated higher than 8 on there. Interstellar is at 8.6 and TDKR at 8.5, just as an example. So yeah, not a good metric to track at all, it's really inflated for his movies haha.

Top Bottom