• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Rock - Selective Outrage. New stand-up special streaming live tonight on Netflix

feynoob

Banned
Everytime time I heard about chris rock, I remember this scene.
Will Smith Slap GIF by Oi

nikos

Enjoyed the show. I'm glad it was mostly an actual comedy show and didn't go too much in the direction of a lecture with humor sprinkled in.

I was sort of hoping he wouldn't mention Will at all. I think that would have been the ultimate FU. He said what he said well though.

near

Gold Member
Was waiting for him to address the Will Smith slap throughout the whole set, it wasn't until the end when he finally does. Worth it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn't watch it but I read an article about it in Apple News and it seemed really funny.
"I loved Will Smith. All my life I loved him. He made some great movies. I have rooted for Will Smith my whole life. And now I watch Emancipation just to see him get whupped."
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

VN1X

Banned
Man... the first 5 minutes were very tiring already. Does it get better from there or does he just repeat Dave Chappelle's material?

I know…cameras and makeup and all, but he’s 58 and doesn’t look a day over 40. Chris Rock has aged better than just about anyone I can think of.

Holy fuck for real. Had no idea he was that old…. Damn

For me the two things that make him look so much younger are the teeth and the hair, especially the former. I lament the loss of his trademark gap, but whoever did his dental work took years off that man's appearance.

Last edited:
Man... the first 5 minutes were very tiring already. Does it get better from there or does he just repeat Dave Chappelle's material?
Chris Rock got his start about six years before Chappelle, and his first comedy special was about six years before Dave's first comedy special. If anyone is "repeating material" it's Chappelle.

The good news is no one is repeating material. That's a pretty serious allegation to make of any comedian. I've watched both for years, and neither of them take jokes from anyone. I would say Chappelle is the better of the two, but Chris Rock is still one of the best stand-ups ever.

VN1X

Banned
Chris Rock got his start about six years before Chappelle, and his first comedy special was about six years before Dave's first comedy special. If anyone is "repeating material" it's Chappelle.

The good news is no one is repeating material. That's a pretty serious allegation to make of any comedian. I've watched both for years, and neither of them take jokes from anyone. I would say Chappelle is the better of the two, but Chris Rock is still one of the best stand-ups ever.
That's great and all but he's literally repeating the same shtick I heard from Chapelle's Netflix specials about woke culture.

Kind of over it tbh.

That's great and all but he's literally repeating the same shtick I heard from Chapelle's Netflix specials about woke culture.

Kind of over it tbh.
Covering the same topic isn't repeating material. And comedians are always going to criticize "holier than thou" in whatever forms it may take. This is why comedians have an issue with wokeness, and why before that it was political correctness and religion.

Lasha

The final ten minutes are a complete evisceration of Will Smith. Chris Rock getting paid 20 million dollars to drop the hammer on live television is a sight to behold. I enjoyed the rest of the show. Chris Rock paces it well enough that the dated or uneven parts don't drag too long.

The final ten minutes are a complete evisceration of Will Smith. Chris Rock getting paid 20 million dollars to drop the hammer on live television is a sight to behold. I enjoyed the rest of the show. Chris Rock paces it well enough that the dated or uneven parts don't drag too long.
And to think, it's all going to "pussy or pussy-adjacent purchases," as Rock himself explained last night.

Last edited:

Fbh

I know it was live but is there no archived version on Netflix?
Was looking for it now but it doesn't show up

Thaedolus

It was pretty alright, the Will Smith stuff was definitely the right high note to end on. I gotta admit I’m getting fatigued with seemingly every set having a woke and trans and abortion bit because they always feel derivative of each other…like some version of the “she is your daddy!” punchline has been done a hundred times, but still got a chuckle out of me… and the affordable racist yoga pants bit was funny. The planet of the apes bit got my wife laughing out loud too.

Definitely not peak Rock from 25 years ago but still solid.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Chris Rock will never achieve the peak that he did in the 90s. Bigger and Blacker is his best work, though Bring The Pain is a close second.
Tambourine was still the best comedy special of 2018, though. Chris has never fallen off. He's the hardest working comic in the biz, and he doesn't put material out until it's good and ready. I have seen him throw out entire 90 minute routines and start over just because he didn't think it was up to snuff.

Selective Outrage was good, you can feel what a tightrope it is to do comedy in 2023, audiences are polarized and hypersensitive. Chris walks that tightrope, but you can feel him wobbling a little bit. It also shows the difference between a live and a pre-taped special, where they do two shows for safety and pick the best ones, and nip and tuck stuff that didn't 100% land. I wonder if Chris will do a more edited version in the future, the way he did with Tamborine > Total Blackout.

But overall very funny. I saw him do this set live on his last tour so it was my second time watching most of these jokes, but the stuff about Will and Jada was mostly new and really funny, great closer.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Love Chris rock but I’ll take Chris tucker (underrated) and Kevin hart over him. Chris rock is beautiful to watch.

Azurro

Banned

Kind of over it tbh.

Woke culture is trying to destroy the comedy profession. It's to be expected that more than one is kinda peeved about it and might have something to say.

I'm not a fan of Chris Rock but that last bit about Will Smith, holy f*ck. He didn't hold back.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Woke culture is trying to destroy the comedy profession. It's to be expected that more than one is kinda peeved about it and might have something to say.
Fair enough.

I guess my issue comes more from his delivery than anything else. It's quite tiring.

Maybe I'll just give the last bit a chance where he goes on about Will Smith.

Azurro

Banned
Fair enough.

I guess my issue comes more from his delivery than anything else. It's quite tiring.

Maybe I'll just give the last bit a chance where he goes on about Will Smith.

Yeah, I mean, I've never been a fan of his in movies and this is the first stand up I see, and he's ok, but didn't convince me to be a fan.

You should definitely hold out for the Will Smith part, that is brutal.

Top Bottom