• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We can all be stand up comics if we are creative enough.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I just watched the latest Special from John Mulaney on Netflix.
A long part is played about him going to rehab. And most of the jokes are about him messing about on his phone.

I went to rehab and the first thing they do is confiscate your phone. I immediately lost interest and stopped watching this science fiction 😆

I understand the need to create interesting content but making shit up for laughs is cheap and you are lying to your audience.

I did not check on google but I also have doubts about Bert Kreischer's "The Machine" story.

He's been riding this wave and for me is just not a funny guy. With or without a shirt on.

My favorite comedians seem to get inspiration from their day to day lives with an accent on their personal "philosophies".

Old school Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, Michelle Wolf, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope and Dave Chappelle. Hell even Lenny Bruce.

I understand stand up is entertainment but don't take me for a fool.

I remember watching Jerry Seinfeld on the Tonight Show and he said the same joke he did 2 years ago about airplaine peanuts. Lazy and insulting. Enjoy your millions 😆

But that's a different topic.

What are your thoughts about this and which comedians do you like? I would love to discover new talents 🙂

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I remember watching Jerry Seinfeld on the Tonight Show and he said the same joke he did 2 years ago about airplaine peanuts. Lazy and insulting. Enjoy your millions 😆
This could be considered the equivalent of a musician going to a talk show and performing a classic. But I guess comedy doesn't work like that.

President Biden Politics GIF by Joe Biden

ahtlas7

Old school Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, Michelle Wolf, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope and Dave Chappelle. Hell even Lenny Bruce.
some amazing comedy up there. George Carlin was spouting philosophy couched in comedy and curse words before I was born. I listen to him on youtube sometimes and think: dude wasn’t joking, sure we are laughing but he was serious and for good reason.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I understand the need to create interesting content but making shit up for laughs is cheap and you are lying to your audience.
I suspect that you might end up disappointed if you find out how much writing goes into stand up comedy.

Obviously the stagecraft, the delivery, the structure and the pacing are all part of it, but even with those things firmly in place, stuff still needs to be written.

Comedians even sell jokes to each other when they write something not suitable for their audience.

Winter John

Gold Member
I like Rich Vos. He's the only addict I ever met who complained about the quality of the baggie his crack was wrapped in. Nobody can ever say the man doesn't have standards.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think it’s fair to say a vast majority of anecdotal stand up material is either made up, or widely exaggerated out of all realistic proportions. It’s fictional entertainment, the same way a movie or TV is for me.

Last edited:

dave_d

🙂

Jon Stewart does that, he's just more clever about hiding the fact he does it. So I saw him in 2004 doing standup in Boston.(The place was packed) I then was reading a newspaper doing a review when he came back to town in 2007. Pretty much everything the reviewer mentioned that they found funny was in the 2004 show. So my guess what he did was instead of recording a comedy album he came up with a comedy set that he could do a couple of packed houses in one town. (Our tickets weren't great and even they were $75. I have no idea what seats on the floor cost)) He could then do the set in different towns each weekend and then come back 2-3 years and do pretty much the same set. Since he was doing the same set he could probably do it in his sleep and he could spend the day sight seeing in whatever town he was in.(Pretty much easy money for as long as you're popular and you get a vacation in as well.)

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This could be considered the equivalent of a musician going to a talk show and performing a classic. But I guess comedy doesn't work like that.

Well some use older material because it's a crowd pleaser or a guaranteed laugh. At least that's what I've heard Louis CK say. He also mentioned at one point in his career to actively not use his tried and tested sure hits. Throwing away his material after a set/tour and come up with fresh stuff that he'll test out in small venues.

I'm not that super into stand up comedy as in I'm not in and or following the scene.

Hans Teeuwen (dutch guy, was funny for me when I was 15)

Watched a lot of Bill Hicks
It's mostly Louis CK and some of Theo Von.

I should check out Carlin's shows. I guess.

Oh wait that English bloke... with the puppet face. Very good.

Last edited:
Well some use older material because it's a crowd pleaser or a guaranteed laugh. At least that's what I've heard Louis CK say. He also mentioned at one point in his career to actively not use his tried and tested sure hits. Throwing away his material after a set/tour and come up with fresh stuff that he'll test out in small venues.

I'm not that super into stand up comedy as in I'm not in and or following the scene.

Hans Teeuwen (dutch guy, was funny for me when I was 15)

Watched a lot of Bill Hicks
It's mostly Louis CK and some of Theo Von.

I should check out Carlin's shows. I guess.

I love George Carlin

reproductive rights news GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Proper stand-up is incredibly hard. The top tier comics, especially ones that generate a new set every year or so, are CONSTANTLY working on material, testing it out, and polishing polishing polishing until it gleams. If you think its just effortless rambling then that's how good they are.

Go watch BAD comics.

I just watched the latest Special from John Mulaney on Netflix.
A long part is played about him going to rehab. And most of the jokes are about him messing about on his phone.

I went to rehab and the first thing they do is confiscate your phone. I immediately lost interest and stopped watching this science fiction 😆

I did not check on google but I also have doubts about Bert Kreischer's "The Machine" story.

He's been riding this wave and for me is just not a funny guy. With or without a shirt on.

My favorite comedians seem to get inspiration from their day to day lives with an accent on their personal "philosophies".

I understand stand up is entertainment but don't take me for a fool.

But that's a different topic.

What are your thoughts about this and which comedians do you like? I would love to discover new talents 🙂

There is a possibility that different rehab places have different standards, and that a celebrity rehab place might have relaxed security to the point where they overlook phones. OR he took a real event and embellished to make it funnier. I think that's understandable.

I honestly thought this entire thread was going to be about someone else, after recently watching this video:

You should add this to your OP, because it's literally a perfect example. This guy lied about events to make himself a victim, so he could look brave and admirable because he overcame racism. He's the Jussie Smollett of comedy, and now that he's been found out, he's calling what he did "emotional truth."

Also, Jim Jefferies is a lying piece of shit who should be removed from your list, and added to your examples of this sort of garbage. Years ago, I saw video of him drawing a picture of Muhammad (I didn't see the picture, but he said that he was doing so) and making the most offensive jokes he could about Muslims. He did this because his guest was someone who was critical of certain aspects of Islam.

When the show aired, the guest was edited to make him look like a hateful bigot, taking responses to questions out of order to intentionally show things out of context. And of course none of Jefferies FAR more insulting and hateful comments about Muslims ever aired, because the intent was to trick the guest.

What Jefferies didn't realize is that the guest was used to things he said being taken out of context, so he secretly recorded the whole interview, and I saw video evidence of all of it. I haven't been able to watch Jefferies since. Like Hasan, he lied about events to make himself look like the good guy, and did so at the expense of actual people.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Netflix specials are the worst thing to happen to comedians. I don't know if they have parameters they have to work within on Netflix, but they seem almost neutered or toned down. We rarely get their best work. The crowds are pretty lifeless too.

Shane Gillis is amazing. He has a free special on YouTube called Live In Austin and a newer special on Netflix called “Beautiful Dogs”, both incredible.

Zero political correctness (especially Beautiful Dogs), I’m happy and relieved comedy like this still exists.

Live in Austin is miles better than Beautiful Dogs.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Like seeing some interaction between a cashier and customer there's most of the time a element of comedy in the exchange. I often laugh and see if I'm the only one.

Yes. I'm mostly the only one. 😂

Rival

Gold Member
I like Bert. He’s a good dude and entertaining. Two Bears podcast with him and Tom Segura is consistently entertaining. Going to see Kevin James next week. Love Jim Norton, Dave Attell, Ari Shaffir, Dave Chapelle, Esther Povitsky, Big Jay, Ron White, Jeff Ross. I really love Brian Regan.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I find a lot of very funny comedians on YouTube. Usually they just record their sets for their own channels. Or Comedy Central's YouTube channel. Dry Bar Comedy is also a good channel.

Regarding Netflix... I like all of Ali Wong's specials. Plus you can't go wrong with Bill Burr.

Jsisto

Most of the time I try to watch some new stand up special on Netflix, I just sit there with a straight face until it’s over. Maybe I’ve just become jaded, but watching all these new up and coming, generic, milquetoast comedians is like taking a sleeping pill for me. I need to hear some wild, controversial, fucked up shit from comedians who have actually been through some shit to get any kind of reaction out of me. Most modern comedians really aren’t cut out for it. I saw Tim Dillon live earlier this year and it was probably the hardest I’ve laughed in my entire life.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Nobody else finds Bert Kreischer as funny as Bert Kreischer does.

I've got familiar with a lot of current US comedians through listening to podcasts while doing housework etc over the past couple of years (Flagrant, Are you Garbage, We Might be Drunk). Lots of people are entertaining, as in they tell a good story, but there are a lot of people who don't really have jokes.

It's why I like Sam Morril and Mark Normand, they do traditional comedy, whereas someone like Joey Diaz just sits there and talks shit for an hour.

Trilobit

This is still one of the funniest standups I've seen:

He doesn't go for cheap shock value, but rather has genuinely funny material.

Edit: Shit was sped up on youtube, so here's a link to a weird site with the right speed:

Last edited:

Toons

I think it’s fair to say a vast majority of anecdotal stand up material is either made up, or widely exaggerated out of all realistic proportions. It’s fictional entertainment, the same way a movie or TV is for me.

Yea I dont really get the criticism here. A lot of em are playing a character too

VN1X

Banned
some amazing comedy up there. George Carlin was spouting philosophy couched in comedy and curse words before I was born. I listen to him on youtube sometimes and think: dude wasn’t joking, sure we are laughing but he was serious and for good reason.
Used to be a huge Carlin fan until I realised he was just another edgy misanthropic nihilist.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
If Brendan Schaub can do stand-up, anyone can do stand-up, of course, you have to know Joe Rogan, marry a "Messican" woman, and steal jokes, though. Also, being a huge scumbag helps, too.

GeekyDad

I just repeat the silly shit my wife says back to her (in a ridiculous way, making retarded gestures and such), and she cracks up laughing.

They always say, it's funny 'cause it's true. I mean, if it ain't based in reality, you can't truly identify with it. Comedy is probably all about commiseration.

poodaddy

I miss Norm. He was the best comedian alive, and he left far too early. The comedy scene has gone in a direction I'm just not at all a fan of since. We still got some good ones though.

Tim Dillon, Yannis Pappas, Jessica Kirson, the great Colin Quinn is still with us, but man there's a lot of fuckin slop comics out there now.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good comedy is often just exaggerating real-life facts out of proportion.

poodaddy

The new up and commers are...

Shane Gillis
Mark Normand
Andrew Shultz
I like all these guys a lot.....but Schulz is not an up and comer brother. He is an absolute Megastar. I'd say he'd be a great pick for up and comer about a decade ago, but he catapulted through the comedy stratosphere quick.

No other stand up routine can come close to this comedy.....it's so ridiculous, so over the top, the uncomfortable looks on the crowds faces. Pure hilarity!

Top Bottom