• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Political correctness and comedy: Chris Rock interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Social media rage is usually not the best avenue to air grievances, and can lead to something disastrous like #CancelColbert or, even worse, #GamerGate.

It's interesting that you bring up both of those hastags, since Suey recently retweeted some things about how there are similarities between the harassment she faced, and the harassment that Anita faced.

https://twitter.com/suey_park

https://twitter.com/suey_park/status/539803296723374081
I don't take men who care about online harassment of women seriously. They're the SAME men who facilitated my harassment. Chu, Colbert, etc.

Suey Park retweeted @sarahjeong

Raining. Woke up a little angry. Internet feminism needs to be made accountable to Asian American women.

People attacked @suey_park bc she was too "politically correct," bc she was humorless, bc she was taking fun out of popular entertainment...

In other words, because @suey_park was an SJW.

Months later you see Deadspin, which ran an article with a hed *calling her a gook* taking a strong stance against Gamergate.

And internet feminists rejoice when Colbert invites Anita Sarkeesian onto his show.

No mention of how Colbert's mention of Suey on his show, broadcasting of her picture, no doubt encouraged and accelerated her doxxing.

And then there's this, by @arthur_affect: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...rned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-suey-park.html … which he's since apologized for, but I don't think he sees the bigger issue

All of you were our Gamergate.

You engaged in systematically pulling down a woman for being perceived as an SJW.

And you can go ahead with the "we're not associated with the sea lions who doxxed Suey" because you know what that sounds like.

Gamergate isn't wrong because it's tiny or its opponents are many or b/c the female devs at issue "never asked for it" by being political.

It's wrong regardless of all those factors. And strip those away and you get what happened to Suey Park.

If internet feminists don't hold others—and in some instances, themselves—accountable for the online harassment of Suey,

they are ultimately acknowledging that some women deserve harassment, doxxing and media putdowns for being too loud, too political, too SJW.

You're also treating cases differently based on racial lines ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I'm sure that's a coincidence.

Suey Park retweeted
Sarah Kendzior @sarahkendzior · Dec 2

The tactics of GamerGate were nothing new. All that changed were the targets -- and the corresponding sympathy of public reaction.

Suey Park retweeted
IDFWU @TheAngryFangirl · Dec 2

You can't tell me this GG shit don't look a hell of a lot like what happened to Suey. We all know they ran test runs in the summer with BW.

Why did people act like GG was brand new? B/c a lot of y'all didn't give a damn what happened to Suey & you damn sure don't care about BW.

Not only that, so damn many of y'all were cheering people on when they went after Suey.

I've been watching & a lot of the ppl who are tired of hearing about what happened to Suey are now saying no one should be silent about GG.

And the "I'm tired of hearing about this" people are just as fucking bad as the people who went after her.

You were kissing Colbert's ass when he had Anita on and got pissed at ppl for pointing out how he (& many of your friends) went after Suey.

Do you know how many passive aggressive tweets I saw from "activists" about how they were muting Suey's name b/c they didn't wanna hear it?

In a lot of ways, Suey and Anita talk about some of the same things, just in different spheres of society.

However, for SOME REASON* Anita is more palatable to a lot of y'all wannabe "activists" and "allies." Hmmm... I wonder why...

For so many of y'all, this activism/social justice shit is only acceptable from certain people.

Suey and soooo many of the BW on here hit way too close to home when it comes to calling out you and your "progressive" faves.

We don't limit our criticisms to right wing racists and a lot of y'all can't handle that b/c you don't wanna look in a mirror.

Y'all would much rather throw our asses way up under the bus and ignore every single thing that happens to us.

That's why when shit like GG goes down and hurts your fave Nice White Ladies, you act like it's brand new.

One thing to takeaway from this is how easy (or not easy) it is to perceive "sides" to an opinion or movement. When a communications platform gets large enough, it is sometimes hard to pick out the nuance and everything sounds like its coming from the same place. Such little misunderstandings then lead to wider generalizations and misunderstandings like the whole "GAF hivemind this, GAF hivemand that" dismissal.

It's hard to keep track of individuals when enough people are talking at the same time.

JCX

The harassment is similar because internet mobs seem to generally use similar tactics.

There is an issue of male privilege, since both Suey and Anita received gendered slur attacks on Twitter.

However #CancelColbert and #Gamergate are campaigns started due to deliberate misrepresentations on the part of their founders. Park deliberately misrepresented the Colbert sketch in order to spark #CancelColbert. Similarly, #GG was started by a jilted ex whose claims have been largely debunked. Yet in both cases, the founders insist what they did was right in spite of contrary evidence.

The difference is that GG doesn't seem to have a clear platform/goal, while Park just picked a horrible way to go about starting a discussion about Asian representation in American media (which has valid footing).

The similar unfair treatment Anita and Suey faced is more likely due to gender (people attack minorities with misogynist/racist/homophobic slurs, while straight white men tend to just get attacked for their ideas. ) and the nature of social media/internet mobs more than anything else.

In general, Twitter is an awful place to start a nuanced dialogue of any sort.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The harassment is similar because internet mobs seem to generally use similar tactics.

There is an issue of male privilege, since both Suey and Anita received gendered slur attacks on Twitter.

However #CancelColbert and #Gamergate are campaigns started due to deliberate misrepresentations on the part of their founders. Park deliberately misrepresented the Colbert sketch in order to spark #CancelColbert. Similarly, #GG was started by a jilted ex whose claims have been largely debunked. Yet in both cases, the founders insist what they did was right in spite of contrary evidence.

The difference is that GG doesn't seem to have a clear platform/goal, while Park just picked a horrible way to go about starting a discussion about Asian representation in American media (which has valid footing).

The similar unfair treatment Anita and Suey faced is more likely due to gender (people attack minorities with misogynist/racist/homophobic slurs, while straight white men tend to just get attacked for their ideas. ) and the nature of social media/internet mobs more than anything else.

In general, Twitter is an awful place to start a nuanced dialogue of any sort.

I think one of Park's main points is how she sees the same people who are decrying internet shitpiling now had no qualms about doing it to her, or encouraging it, over the colbert incident. I really wouldn't know the truth of the matter since I don't keep tabs on it, but her and her supporters think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom