• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian homeless shelter forced to move after nearby Christian church complains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

That did not happen.

A comparison was made between how we view a man and an institution, each having done bad and good. It's easy to handwave the villainy of the institution, but it is harder to do so for the man. If that triggers cognitive dissonance, then good.

How does trying to protect the people who attend their church and the surrounding area equal villainy? Maybe before the other information came out but now we know it is actually a sanitation issue and that the church is helping them fix it. The shelter itself is staying put they are just looking for a better location for the food service. Seems like a pretty good solution to me.

Cocaloch

That did not happen.

A comparison was made between how we view a man and an institution, each having done bad and good. It's easy to handwave the villainy of the institution, but it is harder to do so for the man. If that triggers cognitive dissonance, then good.

I think his point was the good done by Christianity doesn't make it beyond reproach

I understood what his point was. I also understood it was meant to be insulting.

And by the way that point doesn't seem to be about the good not making Christianity beyond reproach so much as the good having no place in generalizations about Christianity.

How does trying to protect the people who attend their church and the surrounding area equal villainy?

Ah. You're making the same mistake again.

As I previously pointed out, my comment was in response to a poster talking about christianity in general, not just this specific church.

I understood what his point was. I also understood it was meant to be insulting.

If reality is insulting then take it up with reality.

Wereroku

Ah. You're making the same mistake again.

As I previously pointed out, my comment was in response to a poster talking about christianity in general, not just this specific church.

If reality is insulting then take it up with reality.

Ahhh ok I understand you were making a statement on the religion as a whole. Then I can understand the idea of not forgiving the religion itself for it's transgressions but I would still say the JWG comparison is pretty off the mark. Someone like Gandhi might be closer. A good individual who is also flawed. If the religion itself could work on some of the problems, like the desire to control others freedoms, I think it could be a very positive entity. As I have seen with some local churches that support everyone and take a more liberal view of the scriptures.

These people seem to have forgotten the very teachings of the man their religion is named after.

Maybe but this is a pretty severe health issue. Human feces just chilling out in the open is quite dangerous and can lead to some pretty bad diseases. Also the handling to clean it up is just as dangerous.

Kephar

That did not happen.

The difference being the institution is made up of many people over millennia whereas the person is a singular entity. There is no cognitive dissonance because it's like trying to compare an apple to a rat.

Leynos

Seems more like a case of snobby californians than bad christians.

Merced, Ca is far from snobby - it is a Central Valley city whose main source of income is agriculture. People seem to think that California is some liberal paradise, but the vast majority of it is rural. It just happens to also be punctuated by several large urban centers.

mackattk

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go.

It is easy to get outraged from the headline. It brings to mind a rich church being inconvenienced by homeless eating peacefully. If the food shelter really is out on the street without a place for them to eat inside, yeah.. That really is a legitimate complaint. Anyway, it sounds like the church is actively trying to help them find a better location.

Literally.

Vv8d1nW.jpg

Points for those who remember the story.

What's the story behind this pic? Is that dude asleep?

Javaman

Depends what the complaints were. If they were complaining about the presence of homeless people? Tough. If they were shitting on the street or shooting up and dumping needles? That's valid.

There was a food bank across the street from my mom's and I had to intervene a couple of times since people would leave their trash in her yard (stuff like banana peels and cigarette butts) and loiter on her steps. Occasionally fights would break out. She was too shy to say anything and was afraid to take her dog outside for it to use the bathroom. I'm all for helping people but if some of them want to be assholes it'll ruin it for all of them. It really depends on if the complaints were legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom