• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split Over Donald Trump and Cut Off by Culture Wars, Evangelicals Despair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
I love seeing the ideological world of self-admitting racists and homophobes fall apart before their eyes. Everything they so thoughtlessly clung to, ruined. Sogood.gif

kIdMuScLe

I wonder would they still choose Trump over Jesus if Jesus was running president?

And I'm still trying to find something in the Bible where Jesus says to hate minorities 😑

Acorn

Good bunch of bigots stuck in the 1950s. Especially love the "sympathetic look into distance whilst being sad and worried" photograph.

zethren

Banned
America is securalizing more rapidly than any other country on the planet. These people ARE being left behind. And unbeknownst to them a lot of the blame for that falls at their own feet. They've strayed so far from the teachings of Jesus they're no longer recognizable as Christians.

The ideals of classical Christianity are not diametrically opposed to modern liberalism. The core Christian ideals of loving your neighbor as yourself and forgiveness will always have a place in civilized society. If more evangelicals actually practiced this significantly fewer people would be turning their backs on the church.

You have absolutely nailed it.
Great post.

commedieu

Banned
This is terrifying. These people are only a few steps away from doing radical shit..they are hitting rock bottom and have no way to cope.

I honestly expect domestic Christian terrorism to happen on a larger scale after Hillary wins.

They think they've got nothing to lose.

“My hope is not ultimately in the government,” he said. “I am not of this world. Jesus is going to come back. He’s going to bring the perfect government. Until then, we live in a world of sin.”

hahahahahahaha, oh, you old folks. You never cease to amuse me.

These are the people that vote in mid terms, not millienials.

You scoff and mock now but when 2018 midterms come around, y'all be cursing them when the GOP gets back into senate and Congress because the Democratic party is too stupid to get the millienials out to vote in midterms.

I find the tone of this thread is the exact reason why baby boomers evangelicals doubling down on being a reliable voting block for the GOP in 2018 midterms.

Inclusion of them and teaching them to moderate their beliefs may help out in the end. But it's going to take resources no wants to use.

Overnight, it seemed, they discovered that even in small-town Iowa they were outnumbered, isolated and unpopular. Everyone they knew seemed to have a gay relative or friend. Mr. Odgaard’s daughter from his first marriage disavowed her father’s actions on Facebook, and his gay second cousin will not speak to him. Even their own Mennonite congregation put out a statement saying that while their denomination opposes gay marriage, “not every congregation” or Mennonite does. Mrs. Odgaard, 64, the daughter of a Mennonite minister, was devastated.

I don't know how to react to something like this except to say that if your identity is built around tearing someone else down, then screw you. You should feel devastated.

Maybe some day people who rant on about God's judgement coming because we legalize gay marriage will be an irrelevant voice in politics. It largely is irrelevant in Europe, especially in Scandinavia and the Baltic countries.

jayu26

“My hope is not ultimately in the government,” he said. “I am not of this world. Jesus is going to come back. He’s going to bring the perfect government. Until then, we live in a world of sin.”

What the hell!?

Boy, I can't imagine the pressure Jesus must be feeling.

What a load of shit. Hating gay people is not the central tenet of Christianity. These people are infuriating.

They're one tier up from the evangelicals who do support Trump, though. At least they still have the mental capacity to realize he doesn't represent them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Mrs. Odgaard, 64, the daughter of a Mennonite minister, was devastated.
Bahahah, devastated that others don't hate gays as much as she does huh.

Oh how my heart bleeds for thee, Mrs. Odgaard.

While other Americans are anxious about the economy, jobs and terrorism, conservative Christians say they fear for the nation’s very soul. Some worry that the nation has strayed so far that God’s punishment is imminent.

Google translate

Other Americans are worried about real things, while some conservative Christians fear about made up things. Watch for falling debris.
rofl

Waaaah.

Go fuck yourselves, dinosaurs.
Hey now, dinosaurs are cool (whether or not they're turkeys with eye stalks or not...), leave them out of this!

Flo_Evans

I do feel a bit sorry for them.

It can't be healthy at all to constantly fear any minute now a supernatural force is about to open the gapping pit of hell and swallow your entire life.

I'd argue on an objective level they are severely mentally ill. Normally this kind of thought is classified as paranoid schizophrenic but oh its jesus so its completely normal they are just bigots.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think the best thing progressives can do is try to bridge the gap with these evangelicals and educate them about how they're being manipulated by wedge issues. How many politicians have they voted for because they're pro-choice? And how many times has that lead to Roe v Wade being overturned? It's the same thing with the second amendment. It's an issue that they're told the other candidate will destroy their lives with, when ultimately nothing will change. If you had listened to some people in 2008, they would have told you that President Obama was going to personally go door to door and confiscate their guns.

A lot of what we're seeing is a group of people who have a persecution complex and feel marginalized because mainstream society has moved further and further from their beliefs. They vote pretty reliably though, so someone is going to reach out to them in politics. It's a tough road though when you're dealing with some people who would have issues even being in the presence of someone who is openly gay.

Alucrid

Banned
those conservatives need to work hard to ruin people's lives and yet here i am ruining theirs without even knowing it. amazing

Square2015

Do these people think God can just commandeer nuclear weapons, or what...? Like if any country launches a nuclear weapon now, it must be God's will...?
North Korea has been upping their ante lately, that's probably the means they would expect it to occur through.

Garlador

I definitely feel weird this election cycle as a Republican Evangelical who is voting Hillary Clinton.

Because one of them is a woman I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of, but admit readily has the temperament and experience to hold the office, while the other is a gaseous mountain of cockroaches wearing a poorly constructed, leathery human suit with no regards for rule of law, the constitution, or rational human thoughts.

I mean, for all those other Evangelicals so upset, Hillary is NOT the devil, and a quick Google search shows she's a Christian Methodist.

I really don't get most of the people I'm surrounded by, and that's probably because I understand the difference between "actual Jesus" and "American Jesus" (you've seen the pic...)

jstripes

Banned
I'm sure if a Muslim opened up a shop in their town and refused to serve women out of religious belief it'd be burned to the ground within a week.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is basically my parents. My dad is voting for vile scum Tom Hoefling. When I tell people I come from the States and my parents are 'Conservatives' I don't think they quite understand how far right they are.

e2yWygN.jpg

beril

I don't get this line of thinking. If God wanted to punish America for abortions being a thing, A) Why hasn't he done it already?, and B) Why isn't he punishing other countries?

Seriously, all it takes is two seconds of rational thought to be like "Oh wait, this is stupid."

That can be said for pretty much all of religion

Kenai

There's so many things wrong with people like this that I'm honestly not sure if I feel sorry for them a little bit or not. I don't regret society leaving them behind at all, but it's that special kind of sad when they literally can't seem to understand the hypocrisy they are embodying or why so many people don't want to be associated with them. People don't just get like that on their own.

But oh well. Not much to be done when they are too far gone and set in their ways at that age.

lol, their idea of "persecution" is their friends & family not speaking to them..? Because they discriminated against other people in the first place?! WTF, what an insult to people who face actual persecution. I can't wrap my mind around the mental gymnastics that these people contrive to justify their crazy-ass ideals.

No, I think the "persecution" is one step earlier: not being allowed to discriminate. That's the government infringing on their God-given rights (to be bigots).

The community backlash worked out fine, right, because they became heroes in the bigot community.

Pyrrhus

You scoff and mock now but when 2018 midterms come around, y'all be cursing them when the GOP gets back into senate and Congress because the Democratic party is too stupid to get the millienials out to vote in midterms.

I find the tone of this thread is the exact reason why baby boomers evangelicals doubling down on being a reliable voting block for the GOP in 2018 midterms.

Inclusion of them and teaching them to moderate their beliefs may help out in the end. But it's going to take resources no wants to use.

Finally, a little sense amongst the mountains of gloating. These people are a large enough block of the population that we'd all be better off if they could be reintegrated and reconciled to the mainstream rather than being left to fester.

Honestly, I have a little bit of qualified sympathy for these people. They've got a set of irrational beliefs about how existence as a whole works that are quickly being made anathema in broader society and it's happening so quickly that they're literally unable to adjust. I'm sure it's bewildering. Of course, this is a case of what goes around coming around, so I can't feel too bad. But I can see how the current series of events causes them to despair.

Also, to everybody telling the "dinosaurs" to "just die already," that's cool, but just remember that you're likely going to be on the other side of this coin in 50 or so years, however bleeding edge you think you are now. There's such a thing as being a bad winner.

Progress will happen because it must happen but that doesn't mean you have to be cruel to the vanquished. They're benighted, in many cases deliberately hateful people, it's true. But they're still a large segment of the population. It's not really in the interests of a peaceful, expansive society to have them feeling like their backs are against the wall and fighting like cornered rats with nothing to lose. It's unpredictable and leads to last stand type behavior and destructive countercultures.

Better to convince as many of them as you can to soften their positions, and yes, some are going to be able to be convinced, and allow the others to at least abide and soon enough go quietly into the night. There's a way to win with the grace and dignity your opponents lack.

kess

Persecuted for not persecuting others is the worst excuse for persecution. The sooner these views are relegated to an electoral cul de sac, the better. The fact this are a reliable bloc makes it much harder. There's a good reason why Eisenhower courted the God and Country vote after the Dixiecrats split the Democratic ticket.

Truman blowing off the National Day of Prayer right after it passed his desk probably didn't help either, heh.

BruinsMtB

Banned
Overnight, it seemed, they discovered that even in small-town Iowa they were outnumbered, isolated and unpopular. Everyone they knew seemed to have a gay relative or friend. Mr. Odgaard’s daughter from his first marriage disavowed her father’s actions on Facebook, and his gay second cousin will not speak to him. Even their own Mennonite congregation put out a statement saying that while their denomination opposes gay marriage, “not every congregation” or Mennonite does. Mrs. Odgaard, 64, the daughter of a Mennonite minister, was devastated.

Everyone else in my middle of nowhere Iowa town is against the belief I have. Could it be that I'm wrong? No, everyone but me is wrong and going to hell!

Evangelicals are the best.

Mindlog

Why would god use a nuke?
An asteroid is so much more efficient and terrifying with none of the harmful radioactive fallout for the true believer.

depths20XX

I can't imagine being such a pathetic person that one of the major issues you "stand" for is who's having sex with who. Out of all the troubles of this world they choose that one.

There's always this misguided national nostalgia mixed in with these attitudes. It takes a certain amount of historical blindness to realize that America has never not been a country of sin in one way or another. If gay marriage and abortion are the breaking point for God, his priorities are really fucked compared to the other shit that's been pursued or condoned in this land.

NandoGip

Wow. Only read the OP. I forgoy absolute fuck heads like this exist. I have no sympathy because they don't either! Morons! Bullies and cowards. I know it's wrong but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't glad to hear about their misfortunes.

Zophar

Of course they're terrified of a liberal Supreme Court. It's absolutely maddening how many people in this country realize perfectly well that their brand of intolerance and bigotry is squarely outside the ethos of the United States, and understand that the only way to sustain it is to put people in power that will reliably interpret the law to cater to their illiberal, anti-democratic world view.

The first couple in this story have relatives and friends that didn't agree with their stance and they didn't care. And they were no doubt explained to in the lawsuit several times why what they did wasn't okay.

tuxfool

Banned
Also, to everybody telling the "dinosaurs" to "just die already," that's cool, but just remember that you're likely going to be on the other side of this coin in 50 or so years, however bleeding edge you think you are now. There's such a thing as being a bad winner.

There are plenty of old people that aren't backward or aren't bigots. The world changes but it isn't a given that people become intolerant to the degrees demonstrated by these people.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally, a little sense amongst the mountains of gloating. These people are a large enough block of the population that we'd all be better off if they could be reintegrated and reconciled to the mainstream rather than being left to fester.

Honestly, I have a little bit of qualified sympathy for these people. They've got a set of irrational beliefs about how existence as a whole works that are quickly being made anathema in broader society and it's happening so quickly that they're literally unable to adjust. I'm sure it's bewildering. Of course, this is a case of what goes around coming around, so I can't feel too bad. But I can see how the current series of events causes them to despair.

Progress will happen because it must happen but that doesn't mean you have to be cruel to the vanquished. They're benighted, in many cases deliberately hateful people, it's true. But they're still a large segment of the population. It's not really in the interests of a peaceful, expansive society to have them feeling like their backs are against the wall and fighting like cornered rats with nothing to lose. It's unpredictable and leads to last stand type behavior and destructive countercultures.

Better to convince as many of them as you can to soften their positions, and yes, some are going to be able to be convinced, and allow the others to at least abide and soon enough go quietly into the night. There's a way to win with the grace and dignity your opponents lack.

If they didn't change their minds on things treating gay people with dignity, respect and providing them with the same benefits and mindfulness they do others in their own church after 5 decades and more on this planet, I don't see why I have to teach them. They had half a damn century or more to realize treating gay's like second class citizens or worse and thoughts along those lines, they had more than enough time to acclimate to the cultural shifts that have been happening. I mean these are people thinking nukes should will be dropped on this country because we're getting more progressive. They might not be a lost cause totally but it ain't my job or anyone elses to go around teaching them such common sense ideas like all men are created equal and so on and so forth.

This is on their old asses for never changing or attempting to change then being shocked to find the world has moved on without them. We're condescending and gloating because they sound like people with shitty beliefs and ideas who are baffled that they are no longer allowed to espouse those shitty beliefs and ideas like its the 50's. I won't wish they shrivel up and die but I my sympathy is limited. They aren't being lynched, they aren't having crosses burned in their front yards and so on. Their persecution is that they aren't the top of the totem pole and are unable to cope with that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, in a year where many voters see nothing but bad choices, many evangelicals feel deeply torn. Long a reliable Republican voting bloc, many are appalled to find Donald J. Trump their only alternative to Hillary Clinton. They say he has taken positions all over the map on same-sex couples and abortion and does not have the character to be president. Others are still bewildered that Mr. Trump defeated not only Mr. Cruz — a pastor’s son who made “religious liberty” a signature issue — but also half a dozen other conservative Christian contenders they would have gladly supported.

This reminds me of that article that CNN wrote back in 2012 about Republicans who were conflicted with their hatred Obama vs. the fact that they and their family members would probably die if Obamacare was repealed.

kinggroin

Banned
Christians have no one to blame but Christians for situations like these. Allowing hate, discrimination, and bigotry to run unchecked...heck, encouraged, amongst the faithful...

...well, that's no way to hold onto or pull in new subscribers.

I say this as a non-apologetic follower of Jesus Christ. You have a Bible you take as infallible (I myself have qualms, but that's neither here nor there), then here ya go. Straight from the holy book.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NIV

1 Corinthians 13New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Stop playing God.

If homosexuals want to get married and join us in misery (ha), then that's completely between them and our Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom